Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by beezylocks

Is eating 1 or 2 meals a day bad, while tryna get cut and losing weight? I'm nvr all that hungry, and alot of times I eat and then sleep, or eat the. Lay down is that bad? I've heard that makes u gAin weight I can't have that, I'm 510 170 I was 5'10 155 in January, smh but I kno some is muscle but most is fat. In my stomach.
Eating 1 or 2 meals a day CAN work. Look up Eat Stop Eat and the Warrior Diet. Both are effective means of cutting fat.

I just did some research on these 2 diets, and I still do not see how they can possibly be effective. It just doesnt make sense to me.

Discussion time, fellas...lol.

What's your take on this. Do you think it's OK to eat any time through out the day as long as you stay within your daily limit. Meaning if my goal isto eat ~2,000 cals a day, I can eat whenever I want as long as I don't exceed that. Or do you think it's not the best to eat anything an hour or twobefore bed, so you can optimize metabolism even though if you're still within your limit. A point has been brought up stating that because you'reconsuming something nearly before going to bed, your body is working on breaking the food down instead of metabolizing what's already inside of you.

I always thought the former was OK, but now I'm not so sure.

wj4 wrote:

What's your take on this. Do you think it's OK to eat any time through out the day as long as you stay within your daily limit. Meaning if my goal is to eat ~2,000 cals a day, I can eat whenever I want as long as I don't exceed that. Or do you think it's not the best to eat anything an hour or two before bed, so you can optimize metabolism even though if you're still within your limit. A point has been brought up stating that because you're consuming something nearly before going to bed, your body is working on breaking the food down instead of metabolizing what's already inside of you.

Exact meal timing is an over studied, overcomplicated system. Your body needs nutrients, and as long as it gets those nutrients you'll be fine. Aslong the day is still within your caloric needs, it shouldnt make a difference when you consume those calories.

Me personally, I eat things right before I go to bed. If i'm hungry and it's near the time I go to sleep i'll still eat something. I don'tlike the idea of not eating a few hours before I go to sleep because it makes the time my body is going without new nutrients much longer.

Originally Posted by Durden7

wj4 wrote:

What's your take on this. Do you think it's OK to eat any time through out the day as long as you stay within your daily limit. Meaning if my goal is to eat ~2,000 cals a day, I can eat whenever I want as long as I don't exceed that. Or do you think it's not the best to eat anything an hour or two before bed, so you can optimize metabolism even though if you're still within your limit. A point has been brought up stating that because you're consuming something nearly before going to bed, your body is working on breaking the food down instead of metabolizing what's already inside of you.

Exact meal timing is an over studied, overcomplicated system. Your body needs nutrients, and as long as it gets those nutrients you'll be fine. As long the day is still within your caloric needs, it shouldnt make a difference when you consume those calories.

Me personally, I eat things right before I go to bed. If i'm hungry and it's near the time I go to sleep i'll still eat something. I don't like the idea of not eating a few hours before I go to sleep because it makes the time my body is going without new nutrients much longer.
That was the reason why I took whey protein prior to going to bed, because it was going to be hours until I eat anything again. I've beeneating a banana with cottage cheese in the recent weeks instead however.

For anyone interested in a crucial workout that really tests your endurance or something new to do with some friends at the gym, I was suckered into a Crossfitcompetition/relay last weekend and did a workout that KILLED my legs. Feel good now though. I believe it was called the 400. The workout consists of thefollowing, and should be evenly divided (if possible) amongst a group of 3-4.

400 Meter Run.
400 Barbell Thrusters @95 lbs. (Don't let the Barbell hit the ground when finishing with however many you do at a time. If you do, start over. Pass off tothe next person.)
400 Meter Run.
400 Push Ups.
400 Meter Run.

DISCLAIMER- Be prepared not to walk for a couple days
laugh.gif
When dividing the thrusters, we began doing 10-15 each but ended up having to do like... 5 at atime. When you have to run after the thrusters, it's like a newborn learning to walk. Try to finish this in less than 35-40 mins btw.

wj4 wrote:

Exact meal timing is an over studied, overcomplicated system. Your body needs nutrients, and as long as it gets those nutrients you'll be fine. As long the day is still within your caloric needs, it shouldnt make a difference when you consume those calories.

Me personally, I eat things right before I go to bed. If i'm hungry and it's near the time I go to sleep i'll still eat something. I don't like the idea of not eating a few hours before I go to sleep because it makes the time my body is going without new nutrients much longer.
at the same time though.....plenty of research has shown that more, smaller, meals spread throughout the day are better than fewer, larger ones.eating 2000 cals in 5 meals > 2000 identical cals in 3.

also, i think i saw a recent study linking weight gain with late-night sugar intake? not positive though.

i eat every 2 hrs basically, im always hungry

3 main meals and small snacks etc in between

like for real even :nerd:z of skim milk an a some dried cranberries thats like an example of a snack........like im hungry ALL DAY

do what works best for you. im more hungry when im serious about my trainin too....im back in the 200lb range at the moment, yesterday at gym i was 204

i love the look right now an im strong as hell.................i got abs but of course not super cut as when your leanin...will see how i turn out end of monthi been doin good though.

I know us quarter system people are almost about to start school...how are y'all keeping up your workout ethic/motivation? My gym is farther, I have lesstime, nobody to cook for me now...this suuucks. Plus I've just been getting lit every night since I got here...**!!.

I went to the gym first time yesterday after that 1 week break...and I must say it didn't feel like I missed a step...in fact my body feels a bit bettereven.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

wj4 wrote:

at the same time though.....plenty of research has shown that more, smaller, meals spread throughout the day are better than fewer, larger ones. eating 2000 cals in 5 meals > 2000 identical cals in 3.

also, i think i saw a recent study linking weight gain with late-night sugar intake? not positive though.

Oh absolutley. I wasnt trying to imply that it wasnt more beneficial.

ok so i downloaded the p90x videos,
how do i start them like 2 videos= 1 workout? or 1 video a day?
going to incorporate this to my muay thai classes
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by beezylocks

Is eating 1 or 2 meals a day bad, while tryna get cut and losing weight? I'm nvr all that hungry, and alot of times I eat and then sleep, or eat the. Lay down is that bad? I've heard that makes u gAin weight I can't have that, I'm 510 170 I was 5'10 155 in January, smh but I kno some is muscle but most is fat. In my stomach.
Eating 1 or 2 meals a day CAN work. Look up Eat Stop Eat and the Warrior Diet. Both are effective means of cutting fat.

I just did some research on these 2 diets, and I still do not see how they can possibly be effective. It just doesnt make sense to me.
They are based on the basis of detoxifying and giving rest to the digestive system. The body does not need sugars in the dietary form to functionthroughout low intensity activity, like throughout the day. If you don't eat throughout the day, the body will just use body fat for fuel. The argumentabout starvation mode isn't worth much in this aspect because that doesn't happen after just 12-24 hours of fasting.

If you look at Brad Pilon, the author of Eat Stop Eat, he's built pretty well and he fasts. So it's not counterproductive. It's like carb cycling,except you cycle calories. If you have a problem with this then you must have a problem with carb cycling as well.
I honestly believe that fasting is a great practice to do atleast once a week to give your body a rest from digestion.

You can't just hold research as the law because I've never seen a bad testimonial about the Warrior Diet. It just works, and that's the amazingthing. It goes against the modern rules of nutrition, but it works and consistently gives results to all kinds of people. You should take a look at thetestimonials and success stories of the Warrior Diet and you may understand it a bit more.

I believe that there is a time for different foods in the day. You wouldn't want to eat raisins right before bed, you wouldn't be able to sleep. Theygive quick energy to the body, so you're wasting it and it'll become body fat. If you want sugars, pre and post workout is a great time, but other thanthat, there is no need for them after that.

On a side note, I love the mental clarity that I get when I fast. It's amazing how much work I can get done with no food undergoing digestion.

Originally Posted by KiiidTrash

ok so i downloaded the p90x videos,
how do i start them like 2 videos= 1 workout? or 1 video a day?
going to incorporate this to my muay thai classes
smile.gif
1. There's a thread for it in Sports & Training.
2. Downloading them is illegal. Niketalk doesn't support illegal downloads.

I haven't even been lurking in this thread. Super busy aka lazy ftl

but anyways

What do y'all make with ground beef?

I have some and I wanna try and make something.

Oh I have zero culinary skills btw.

Originally Posted by 18th letter

I haven't even been lurking in this thread. Super busy aka lazy ftl

but anyways

What do y'all make with ground beef?

I have some and I wanna try and make something.

Oh I have zero culinary skills btw.
Ground beef is pretty easy to work with....brown rice, pasta, pita bread are what I use. You can grind it up into bits and make tacos too. A lotof folks on here don't eat red meat though so they stick with chicken breast and turkey and such.

or skip the red meat entirely
pimp.gif

i feel like i'm not getting enough calories ......... but my strength has been going up a ton lately
pimp.gif

did arms today.........murked the biceps

pimp.gif

i feel like i'm not getting enough calories ......... but my strength has been going up a ton lately
pimp.gif

no red meat? i heard red meat is good for bulking...have it at least once a week to switch it up

Originally Posted by wanksta23

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

no red meat? i heard red meat is good for bulking...have it at least once a week to switch it up
carcinogens in red meat

but yeah lean meats in general have a lot of protein, so good for getting your weight up

Originally Posted by jordan231025

For anyone interested in a crucial workout that really tests your endurance or something new to do with some friends at the gym, I was suckered into a Crossfit competition/relay last weekend and did a workout that KILLED my legs. Feel good now though. I believe it was called the 400. The workout consists of the following, and should be evenly divided (if possible) amongst a group of 3-4.

400 Meter Run.
400 Barbell Thrusters @95 lbs. (Don't let the Barbell hit the ground when finishing with however many you do at a time. If you do, start over. Pass off to the next person.)
400 Meter Run.
400 Push Ups.
400 Meter Run.

DISCLAIMER- Be prepared not to walk for a couple days
laugh.gif
When dividing the thrusters, we began doing 10-15 each but ended up having to do like... 5 at a time. When you have to run after the thrusters, it's like a newborn learning to walk. Try to finish this in less than 35-40 mins btw.

that sounds fun actually haha. i'm gonna bring this up when I go work out with my local crossfit trainer tomorrow.

Need a little advice
whats the best way to go about bulking up, but at the same time losing fat around my stomach area etc...
Im not fat, im about 5'9-5'10 150lbs. But i got some fat around my stomach area, i want to get rid of that and bulk up.
I have access to a weight room for about 30-40 min a day 5days/week
Also any diet advice is great as well.
Thanks

Just started my clean bulk last week. Sitting at 155 after Cutting from 160 for the summer. Trying to put on about 15 lb. of lean mass. I forgot how hard itwas to eat so much. Meals consist primarily of meats and veggies. I'm pretty carb sensitive so I try to have them as my Pre and Post workout meals. Snacksare protein shakes (syntha-6 yum), jerky, peanut butter, boiled eggs, nuts, and cheese. I feel like I can get to a clean 170 lb. in about 2 months.

laugh.gif
what ya'll dudes think when ya'll see a skinny dude in the gym? ...i'm 5"11 1/2 ..155 and super slim ... seeing them swoll @%% dudespumping iron is super discouraging... i don't even want to try, because i never lifted weights.. i need some motivation. btw, im a college student .. ifind it hard to get all those meals ya'll be getting..

No one cares. And even if someone swole laughs a little to themselves, they are way more focused on their own workout.

When I was little, I used to be like that too. The thing that really helped me was knowing that everyone is thinking the same thing as you, but in a differentway...

Just do you. And know that REAL motivation to reach your goal doesn't come from pictures, videos, or music. Your results are more motivating than anything.

Just get started and soon it will get addicting and you'll be at their levels in no time.

Originally Posted by DC Piper

laugh.gif
what ya'll dudes think when ya'll see a skinny dude in the gym? ...i'm 5"11 1/2 ..155 and super slim ... seeing them swoll @%% dudes pumping iron is super discouraging... i don't even want to try, because i never lifted weights.. i need some motivation. btw, im a college student .. i find it hard to get all those meals ya'll be getting..
I remember I would purposefully avoid the weight room because of this. You just have to get over the initial intimidation factor. For me, seeinall these stronger dudes motivated me to train more. From my experience the guys really serious about working out have always been friendly and willing to giveany advice or help. You can also do what I did and start out by going at unusual hours so it's empty.

Back
Top Bottom