STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

It cracks me up when people say "everyone has abs, you just have to have low enough body fat to see them". While that is true, everyone has biceps too and you must work them out to grow. Your abs are muscles that need to be developed too.

Don't let the trees get in the way of seeing the forest.

Even though theyre both muscles, their functions and purposes are totally opposite of one another and should be trained that way.

It cracks me up when people say "everyone has abs, you just have to have low enough body fat to see them". While that is true, everyone has biceps too and you must work them out to grow. Your abs are muscles that need to be developed too.

That's right. Abs are made in the kitchen AND in the gym.

That's right. Abs are made in the kitchen AND in the gym.

The abs don't hypertrophy as much as a muscle group like the biceps. Hypertrophy will only get you so far if your goal is to see abs. More progress will be gained faster by losing excess body fat.

I don't believe there is any use in training the abs or "core" in isolation unless it is a weak link and holding you back from progressing in more complex movements.

Yea traps are one of my genetically dominant parts. I never work them directly they just develop too fast. I have to work my shoulders a lot more to compensate for these football pads connected to my neck lol

jelly

im seeing amazing gains everywhere but my traps just will not grow. feelsbadman

Last edited:
Dead lift if you don't already. I haven't done shrugs in years but I see the biggest difference in my traps just from steady dead lifts. I don't always split my muscle groups up the same day to day but here's the exercises I do consistently every week. Whatever else I had in just depends on how I feel that day:

Legs: squat or front squat, dead lifts, sometimes leg press, lunges

Back: chins, bent rows or t-bar rows, one arm db rows

Chest: incline dumbbell press, flat bench, dips

Shoulders (not done every week): standing military press, seated dumbbell press

Biceps: once in a while some hammer curls or dumbbell curls

Triceps: cable pressdowns, close grip press, sometimes overhead db extensions

I probably never do more than 4 exercises per workout in all honesty.

ive been told many times to start deadlifting. i want to but at the same time i dont.

i have no one to teach me how to do it correctly, i know its not too hard and i bet i could get my form down quickly like i do with everything else :lol: might think about it and give it a try since its good for the entire body.

^^^ best way to start is with the bar alone so you get the correct form, then just work your way up... That's how I started

The abs don't hypertrophy as much as a muscle group like the biceps. Hypertrophy will only get you so far if your goal is to see abs. More progress will be gained faster by losing excess body fat.

I don't believe there is any use in training the abs or "core" in isolation unless it is a weak link and holding you back from progressing in more complex movements.

I wasn't really speaking in terms of hypertrophy. Just that working out the muscle will make it stronger. There's a difference between ab and core work. Planks, wood choppers, med ball twists, and roll outs are all things that will strengthen your core. Having a strong core is very important in athletic performance and just staying healthy in general. You're better off working your core than not working it. No part of your body should be neglected.

Even though theyre both muscles, their functions and purposes are totally opposite of one another and should be trained that way.

I agree, but that doesn't mean you should neglect training your core. (Not that you're saying that).

Yea traps are one of my genetically dominant parts. I never work them directly they just develop too fast. I have to work my shoulders a lot more to compensate for these football pads connected to my neck lol
youre also a big mf, who probably tosses around legit weight

when you throw heavy ish, most iso exercises start to broaden, im bad at explaining it, but if you notice when you do lat pulldowns with your bodyweight or more, your forearms and biceps feel yakked, if you do weighted dips, you can really feel your core and triceps do the dam thang

honestly im beginning to feel my traps do work when i flat bench, ive had several personal trainers critique my form, and although nothing is perfect, its there

Me and my Bro went bike riding today, started around 7am ended around 1ish. Aprox. 20miles with some hills.  It always feels good to be outside working out rather than in the gym on nice days. 

BTW bb.com has some super quick shipping, ordered yesterday for standard shipping and it was at my doorstep today. 
happy.gif

ive been told many times to start deadlifting. i want to but at the same time i dont.

i have no one to teach me how to do it correctly, i know its not too hard and i bet i could get my form down quickly like i do with everything else
laugh.gif
might think about it and give it a try since its good for the entire body.
Omar Isuf and Jonnie Candito both have really good videos on explaing how to DL with proper form. I didnt want to do them either but once I got it down and started moving up in weight, its a cool exercise. 

Deadlift is my favorite exercise. Nothing is more real than picking heavy **** off the ground lol

Good looks on that Candito training. I particularly liked his eleven page PDF on more info that somewhat relates to his training plan but also some on just general fitness.

I have to agree with him on his opinions of the unnecessary technique of bulking/cutting. Sure, keeping track of your diet is great, but as long as you're 1.) Getting enough protein and 2.) Not putting on bad weight, is it really necessary to go to the trouble of bulking and then cutting back? Unless you want to be at like 3-6% body fat for a competition, I tend to agree with him that bulking is unnecessary and instead we should focus on keeping a fairly steady weight and body recomposition. Less work and more fun. Just my opinion. I've done the diet tracking and all that and I'm kinda sick of it. Gonna try to just be mindful of my diet, eat good carbs and fats, get plenty of protein, and just eat when my body is hungry and see how that works for a while.

Ordered 2 tubs of the Cinnamon Swirl. Mad the peanut butter marshmallow wasn't part of the deal.
GL.. buot to order mine.
nah you should still work them, like any muscle. They're developed in the gym, but they're made visible in the kitchen.
Exactly. Tired of hearing people in this thread saying low body fat % to see abs...  Low body fat % you can see any muscle on ur body much better. Of course. You have to hit them still. You dont want a weak core. Build that core and alot of your lifts will go up. 
i got both the cinnamon swirl and pb and m ....the 2 best tasting protein i have ever had
smokin.gif
 Couldnt agree more.
Saw that vid a couple of week, right after the CrossFit games, killed it.

What type of creatine you guys using?
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine. Best one to take imo.
LOL I never hit my abs. Guess I will add an ab exercise to one of my days.
At least hit them 2x a week. 

i have no one to teach me how to do it correctly, i know its not too hard and i bet i could get my form down quickly like i do with everything else
laugh.gif
might think about it and give it a try since its good for the entire body.
You dont DL.... 
indifferent.gif

When u first start doing it you gonna be tired as hell. Your going to hate them. 

bout to order Cinnamon Swirl 

bulking is unnecessary?

umm yea..
I think he was saying the whole bulking then cutting cycle is overused when it comes to this lifestyle. It also has negative affects when it comes to your metabolism.   Dirty bulking is pointless in my opinion, if you have to spend 3-4 months cutting once your done.
Good looks on that Candito training. I particularly liked his eleven page PDF on more info that somewhat relates to his training plan but also some on just general fitness.

I have to agree with him on his opinions of the unnecessary technique of bulking/cutting. Sure, keeping track of your diet is great, but as long as you're 1.) Getting enough protein and 2.) Not putting on bad weight, is it really necessary to go to the trouble of bulking and then cutting back? Unless you want to be at like 3-6% body fat for a competition, I tend to agree with him that bulking is unnecessary and instead we should focus on keeping a fairly steady weight and body recomposition. Less work and more fun. Just my opinion. I've done the diet tracking and all that and I'm kinda sick of it. Gonna try to just be mindful of my diet, eat good carbs and fats, get plenty of protein, and just eat when my body is hungry and see how that works for a while.
Ive been thinking about doing the same thing actually. Keeping up with all that gets mentally exhausting after awhile. 

jonnie candito is awesome he keeps it simple but always backs up his training philopshys with data and science and has PERFECT form on everything. he also backs it up with a 500lbs+ squat at 5'7 180 lbs. :x :smokin IMO he has the ideal physique too he looks solid, muscular and dense without the whole bloated, puffy look that bodybuilders aim for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom