STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Overtraining and under recovering are both VERY real :lol:

Some of the effects are what’s bro science. Also, the amount being called “over training” is different from person to person.

^Agreed. What's over-/under-training is gonna very greatly from person to person based on stress, job physicality, strength, recovery, neural ability, caloric intake, hormonal profile, sleep, drugs/supplementation, years under the bar, etc. Way too many variables to look at a workout of somebody you've never met and say, "yeah, that's too much bro."

From what I see at my gyms, a lot of people use the idea of OT to excuse them from putting in hard work. Brb quarter squatting ***** weight once every week (or less :sick:); doing workouts composed mostly of talking and isolation movements; skipping entire muscle groups, etc. and then wondering why they're still small/weak/on DYEL status after spinning their wheels for months/years at a time.

SupremeBeing5 SupremeBeing5 , as long as you're not mentally drained, your 1+ set numbers aren't tanking, and you're not getting run down or accumulating overuse injuries, you're good.

Just go harder in less sets and keep your rest and diet on point. Save yourself a ton of time.

Prolly good advice in general but that is not the point of this program, which has been run for various lengths of time from several months to over a year. If he's got the time, let him cook.

The idea is not to go harder in fewer sets but to go easier doing while more sets. Also, this is not a permanent training plan, at least not for me. I will run it for no more than 13 weeks and then move on to my next training block.:pimp:

Prolly good advice in general but that is not the point of this program, which has been run for various lengths of time from several months to over a year. If he's got the time, let him cook.

The idea is not to go harder in fewer sets but to go easier doing while more sets. Also, this is not a permanent training plan, at least not for me. I will run it for no more than 13 weeks and then move on to my next training block.:pimp:

I guess I should have followed along before I commented. What's the goal of the program?

I've always shot for 9-12 sets and 8-12 reps for maximum hypertrophy. If I still have energy after 12 sets that means I need to up the weight, intensity, etc. Especially for legs or back, when I hit about the 6 set mark, I have to dig deep, and by the time I'm at 9-12 I want to keel over. Get in, train quickly, get out to rest and grow. More time in the gym = more catabolism.

Different strokes I suppose though. 40 sets (especially of one muscle group) in any one workout just seems wild OD.

if he’s getting through it and feels fine the next day he’s probably alright. just has to keep the recovery, calorie intake on point.

i know there’s been times where i’ve over trained and i can feel my CNS is fried. but you’ll
never know your limits if you don’t push them

Tank Top Master Tank Top Master definitely agree that people will use it as an excuse. those same people use any and every excuse in the book

^Agreed. What's over-/under-training is gonna very greatly from person to person based on stress, job physicality, strength, recovery, neural ability, caloric intake, hormonal profile, sleep, drugs/supplementation, years under the bar, etc. Way too many variables to look at a workout of somebody you've never met and say, "yeah, that's too much bro."

From what I see at my gyms, a lot of people use the idea of OT to excuse them from putting in hard work. Brb quarter squatting ***** weight once every week (or less :sick:); doing workouts composed mostly of talking and isolation movements; skipping entire muscle groups, etc. and then wondering why they're still small/weak/on DYEL status after spinning their wheels for months/years at a time.

SupremeBeing5 SupremeBeing5 , as long as you're not mentally drained, your 1+ set numbers aren't tanking, and you're not getting run down or accumulating overuse injuries, you're good.

Haha yeah. There’s a different balance for everyone and a different goal/intention. “Don’t _____” type dudes are the ones that usually just don’t want to do it themselves.

The chances of anyone in here or 99% of your typical gym rats getting close to burning themselves out are slim to none, most will get injured before that happens.

Under recovering will always happen before you get close to the mythical "overtraining".

It all comes down to 3 things with training, volume/frequency/intensity. All 3 of them cant be high for any length of time. So you can do those high volume workouts multiple times a week but you will not be able to use maximal weights on every exercise, just like you cant max out on compound lifts every day of the week, you will not have enough time to recover.

I guess I should have followed along before I commented. What's the goal of the program?

I've always shot for 9-12 sets and 8-12 reps for maximum hypertrophy.

No worries, no hostility intended.

This program, nSuns 5/3/1, was initially created by a redditor to accelerate the weight progression of Wendler's OG 5/3/1 program and add linear progression to it. Instead of doing 1 cycle over a 3-4 week period, you do all of the working sets for that cycle in one day, a la Wendler's Spinal Tap templates. It is a hybrid strength and hypertrophy program. All programmed sets (except the 1-2 AMRAPs each day) are 8 reps or under. Hypertrophy is attained through the sheer number of T1/T2 (i.e. main and supplemental barbell lift) sets and through the accessory exercises, which are usually done for higher reps. The program is designed to be OD on volume to illicit both strength and hypertrophy gains. It can be run by novices or trained lifters because the numbers are based on training maxes which are determined individually.

It all comes down to 3 things with training, volume/frequency/intensity. All 3 of them cant be high for any length of time.

Lord m boiz m boiz speaks the truth, as usual.

For this program, the three variables break down as follows:
Frequency: 3x/week per body part on the 6-day templates, 2-3x/week on the 4 and 5 day ones.
Volume: Depends on amount of accessory work included. At least 14 sets of main and supplemental work per session; average of 17.
Intensity: T1 set weights are based on no higher than 85.5% of 1RM. You should be able to hit 85% of your everyday 1RM for at least 1 rep once a week. T2 weights are a fraction of your TM, and accessory lift weights are not programmed: they are auto-regulated.

As DonRafa DonRafa said my cns has been toast before but everything else was good.

Squat and dl 90%+ for a month or two and that will happen. Once warm up weight is moving slow or I just can’t make an easy lift I take it easy for a week.

I wouldn’t call that over training though, that just means you gotta train different for a little bit.

The man who hated on “cardio” aka “running”, actually listed that he ran after his gym workout....

FD3CEEF9-2961-493D-AD97-C11DC84206CE.gif

Day 3: 10am workout

nSuns 5/3/1 - Day 3 (Military/Incline, 5/3/1 Day):
1. Military Press: w/u
1x5x110; 1x3x125; 1x1+ [5]x140 1x1x150; 1x1x155; 1x1x160; 1x3x130; 1x3x125; 1x3x115; 1x5x110; 1x5x100; 1x5+ [5]x95;
2. Incline Bench Press:
1x6x75; 1x5x130; 3,5,7,4,6,8 @155
3. DB Bench Press 3x8
4. Low Cable Flyes 2x10
5. High-Low Cable Flyes 3x12
6. Decline Chest Press 3x10
7. Barbell Shrugs 3x10
8. Machine Shoulder Press 3x8,10,12
9. DB Side Lateral Raise 4x8,10,10,8
10. Upright Cable Row 3x10,12,15
11. Cable Rear Delt Flyes 3x12
12. Face Pulls 4x10

1 mile run after; legs feel like chit.

Summary: 49 working sets
Time: 2hrs, 07 mins.
Notes: Ate a small breakfast before heading out. Might be the new move.

:pimp:

Feel great lol. Heavy Dead’s and Front Squats tomorrow, I’m ready. Let’s go!

Went for a full body massage. Wooooo feeling brand new. Hot stones are the truth

The Meester Kraft Special :pimp:

I hope my questions weren't taken as being hostile or antagonistic.

Nope, not at all.

Agree with everything you said m boiz m boiz

Didn’t have it today. Probably bc I didn’t eat enough before my workout. Feels good to use wrist wraps though.

Overtraining and under recovering are both VERY real :lol:

Some of the effects are what’s bro science. Also, the amount being called “over training” is different from person to person.
Yeah I figure this convo is going to get down to semantics and understanding. If you can overwork yourself, not sure why you can't overtrain.

For those that like to run a couple times a week how far do you usually go? I tend to do 3-4 mile runs once or twice a week on non leg or off days from the gym.

Back
Top Bottom