STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Squat and dead lift form can break down from lack of core strength. 

To simply say someone will have a strong core just because they do those lifts is not a factual statement. 

As for Quest Bars, the best flavor I've had is double chocolate chunk. They seriously taste like a normal chocolate chip cookie 
pimp.gif

I foam roll in the morning and before bed. I'm not a fan of taking mediation.
Well squad up and deal with them DOMS baby, they aint going anywhere 

Might try an epsom salt bath some people suggest those

Also walk on the treadmill or something to get some of that lactic acid out post workout

Last edited:
Just finished maxing out at 255 on the bench. My new pr :pimp: was a struggle but i got it up. This time last year i was benching maybe 185 as a max

I weigh 168 pounds btw

To simply say someone will have a strong core just because they do those lifts is not a factual statement. 

This sounds a lot like the kitchen vs exercise argument for the abdomen.
Just finished maxing out at 255 on the bench. My new pr :pimp: was a struggle but i got it up. This time last year i was benching maybe 185 as a max

I weigh 168 pounds btw

That's sweet. Hopefully I'll follow the same trajectory.

If you're squatting, benching, deadlifting and military pressing - there's no way you're going to have a weak core - even if you don't directly hit it with ab workouts.

100 percent false

No. He's correct. Try to squat 3+ plates with a weak core. I'll wait.

Yo, these DOMS after leg day is getting on my nervous. I would rather my legs feel like spaghetti during the workout.

Foam roll and some ibuprofen dog. Works wonders.

Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and such have been studied to affect protein synthesis. The only studies I read up on were using maximal doses.

Honestly, I wouldn't use em for DOMS. If it's not something you can handle, lifting might not be for you.

I'd only use stuff like that for a true injury. Not muscle soreness.

There's no ******* way you'll have a weak core if you've been squatting and dead lifting starting from a lower weight increasing in increments. I'm sure they exist, but they're the exception and not worth discussing as if they're the rule.

If you go heavy on both those exercises you will be strengthening your core at the same time. That is a fact jack.

Last edited:
Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and such have been studied to affect protein synthesis. The only studies I read up on were using maximal doses.

Honestly, I wouldn't use em for DOMS. If it's not something you can handle, lifting might not be for you.

Any links to back up your claim?

I don't take them often but if it helps me recover quicker then Im cool with it. Cant see it hindering muscle growth though honestly.

Any links to back up your claim?

I don't take them often but if it helps me recover quicker then Im cool with it. Cant see it hindering muscle growth though honestly.

My phone is acting up. I can't paste links. Literally Google "ibuprofen muscle growth".

It's not going to make, or break your gains... But it isn't the most optimal way for gains.

A weak core can be a limiting factor for not being able to keep increasing weight.

Just cause you squat and deadlift does not mean you have a strong core or will have a strong core.

You can tell how strong someone's core is by watching their form when the weight gets heavy for them. It's still possible to squat a lot with a less than stellar core because you can fold over and still get the weight up with your legs.

If you aren't directly hitting your core, you're robbing yourself of potential.

I think my squat & deadlift numbers are being limited by my weak core. So now what?
i had this problem for awhile. my legs were pretty strong and could push decent weight on leg machines or isolated leg machines. but when it came to squat and deadlift, i just wasnt going any where.

then i decided to go back to square one when i switched over to oly lifting. first thing i did was pick up "how to become a supple leopard" by kelly starret. he really emphasizes what good form is and how the development of the core goes hand in hand with how you lift. i know form is lifting 101, but the book really helped by having the mechanics and development aspect of each lift and how to make the progressions through the lift and core.

now i take alot longer setting up and re-racking, but i really try to focus on the little things. that has helped my core strength immensely. ive pr'd on squats, front squats, and deadlifts every couple weeks for the past few months

If you progress in your squats and deadlift then your core strength will progress along as well. If you get your strength from exercises where core strength isn't a factor, like the leg press, then yea you will lack in core strength in exercises where it is an important factor. Also if you use a belt for every lift/set then yes you will be lacking in core strength as well.

i had this problem for awhile. my legs were pretty strong and could push decent weight on leg machines or isolated leg machines. but when it came to squat and deadlift, i just wasnt going any where.

then i decided to go back to square one when i switched over to oly lifting. first thing i did was pick up "how to become a supple leopard" by kelly starret. he really emphasizes what good form is and how the development of the core goes hand in hand with how you lift. i know form is lifting 101, but the book really helped by having the mechanics and development aspect of each lift and how to make the progressions through the lift and core.

now i take alot longer setting up and re-racking, but i really try to focus on the little things. that has helped my core strength immensely. ive pr'd on squats, front squats, and deadlifts every couple weeks for the past few months

I'm with you on being able to leg press heavy, yet not progress on squats. Really helpful post. Thanks for that.

If you progress in your squats and deadlift then your core strength will progress along as well. If you get your strength from exercises where core strength isn't a factor, like the leg press, then yea you will lack in core strength in exercises where it is an important factor. Also if you use a belt for every lift/set then yes you will be lacking in core strength as well.

I don't do too many iso exercises these days. Don't do belts/straps/sleeves either.

Just for a little background: I'm 5'8" 155lbs. Haven't really tried maxing out since I like to lift by myself. Also for squats and deads, my spine tends to hyperextend and I end up straining my back - something I attribute to a weak core. Correct me if I'm wrong there.
- Bench: 225, 5 reps
- Squat: 265, 3 reps
- Dead: 315, 3 reps

A weak core can be a limiting factor for not being able to keep increasing weight.

Just cause you squat and deadlift does not mean you have a strong core or will have a strong core.

You can tell how strong someone's core is by watching their form when the weight gets heavy for them. It's still possible to squat a lot with a less than stellar core because you can fold over and still get the weight up with your legs.

If you aren't directly hitting your core, you're robbing yourself of potential.

I'm sure you understand that proper form is implied when people talk about squatting heavy and strong cores on here.

havent been doing any core workouts, hell ive hit my abs once in a direct workout in the last 6 months.

i hate doing them even though i should. im too busy focusing on other things.

Back
Top Bottom