Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Food poisoning/stomach flu 
sick.gif

I wish this upon nobody. Second time this year and in my life.

Originally Posted by Laced Up Jordans

Originally Posted by bLaZ3n

I hate shoulder day with a passion, I feel as if I get nothing accomplished.

Can someone recommend me some effective shoulder exercises?

Is it good to work abs everyday or is every other day good enough?
Shoulder day is the best day for me.
Shoulder/Back is whats good.

Do Arnold Presses

then Dumbbell Presses

Then Lateral Raises
That is exactly what I do, and for some reason they feel very ineffective.. I do not get sore at all after doing those exercises..
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif

Is it true, when doing the shoulder exercises such as The Arnold Press, and Dumbbell Presses, that your back shouldn't be touching the seat? OR is it alright if your back is touching the seat?

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

I've been locking out on all my exercises. I've read about it doing some harm, didn't take it too serious but read into it more today.

*starts to feel slight pain in elbows and knees abruptly*

Is it that detrimental to be doing so?

And is there benefits to not locking out? I read this keeps the tension more on the muscles and allows for less rest in between reps. ( i.e. finishing the rep completely then holding that position until you feel you can go down)

Can I get some input guys?

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert but just using my intuition, when you lock out, that pressure shifts from your muscles to your joint. 

Try standing up.  When you stand up, your knees are not locked.  Feels alright, doesn't it?  Now lock your knees.  How does that feel?  Kinda uncomfortable right?   Now imagine you had 300lbs on your shoulders because you were doing squats. 

You'll notice that the pressure shifts from your muscle to your knee joints.    

Originally Posted by cguy610

I've been locking out on all my exercises. I've read about it doing some harm, didn't take it too serious but read into it more today.

And is there benefits to not locking out? I read this keeps the tension more on the muscles and allows for less rest in between reps. ( i.e. finishing the rep completely then holding that position until you feel you can go down)

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert but just using my intuition, when you lock out, that pressure shifts from your muscles to your joint. 

Try standing up.  When you stand up, your knees are not locked.  Feels alright, doesn't it?  Now lock your knees.  How does that feel?  Kinda uncomfortable right?   Now imagine you had 300lbs on your shoulders because you were doing squats. 

I'd imagine that it's pretty bad for joints to lock out for every rep, especially when going with heavy weight. I'm not an expert though.

Thanks in advance.

Tendons and joints are capable of supporting thousands of pounds at full extension. Its where they are most stable.

I do heavy core work once a week and that's all. I treat it like all other muscles. It works well for me.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Thanks in advance.

Tendons and joints are capable of supporting thousands of pounds at full extension. Its where they are most stable.

3 sources that say locking out is bad.

http://iyca.org/wordpress/why-kids-shouldnt-lock-out-their-joints

http://www.ballyfitness.com/achieve...ning/fitness-tips_protecting-your-joints.aspx

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/qt/questions.htm

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Thanks in advance.

3 sources that say locking out is bad.

http://iyca.org/wordpress/why-kids-shouldnt-lock-out-their-joints

http://www.ballyfitness.com/achieve...ning/fitness-tips_protecting-your-joints.aspx

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/qt/questions.htm
Hyperextention is bad, Full extension on an exercise is not.

This is my shoulder day, worked pretty well thus far

Seated DB presses 3x8
Pushups 3x30
Front Raises 3x8
Upright rows 3x8
side raises 4x5
Military press 3x5
Pushups 3x30

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

I'm thinking of getting into this routine (I change abs to back day) - http://www.flexonline.com.au/44.html

How does this routine look?
Quads, hamstrings, calves:
Squat 5 x 5
Deadlift 5 x 5
Leg Press 10, 8 ,6
Good Morning 10, 8, 6
Calf Raises 3 x 20, 2 x 10

I've never squatted/deadlifted on the same day, so that'll be new.

Chest, shoulders, triceps:
BB Bench Press 5 x 5
DB Incline Bench Press 10, 8, 6
Military Press 10, 8, 6
Close Grip Bench Press 10, 10, 8
Triceps Over Head Pull 3 x 10
Upright Row 10, 8, 6
Flys 3 x to failure
Dips 3 x to failure

Back, biceps, forearms, abs:
Bent row 10, 10, 8, 6
Lat pull down 10, 10, 8
Preacher curls 3 x 10
Barbell curls 3 x 10
Reverse flys 3 x 10
Dumbbell curls (negatives) 8, 6
Pull ups 3 x to failure

I appreciate any advice
It looks like a lot of work per session, however it's structured nicely. If you allow a day between you will have enough recovery and you won't be hitting any muscle groups indirectly that you don't necessarily want to.

Thanks... that's what I was thinking too (heavy workload). It's just been so long since I've done a 3 day split... and now when switching to a 5 day split I feel like I'm missing out if I cut out certain exercises
laugh.gif
. The distribution of workouts is actually at the bottom fo the link i posted:
moz-screenshot-1.png
603.jpg

Platinum, I have been doing that as well. L2L posted up that link so I decided to give it a whirl. Keeps me in the gym and active through my workout, am a fan of it. Put a couple of other people on to it as well

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Platinum, I have been doing that as well. L2L posted up that link so I decided to give it a whirl. Keeps me in the gym and active through my workout, am a fan of it. Put a couple of other people on to it as well

Any chance you can post up your 3 day routine?

Okay guys, I'm going to go against everything I've said before and ask you guys for help on a fairly simple topic that has probably been covered 10000 times in this thread.

What is a good cutting diet?

I've been doing CrossFit for the past 4 months, and since I thought I was getting a ton of exercise, I neglected my diet. I looked at myself in the mirror today and was disgusted with what I saw. Does someone have a sample of a good cutting diet? I'm thinking I need to keep it under 2,000 calories a day.

Please and thank you!

I have reached a plateau.. when I first started the weight was flying off, but now it seems like I can't get passed 152 lbs.

I still have a little more fat I need to lose, in my cutting process before I start bulking.. What do you guys recommend?

I have reached a plateau.. when I first started the weight was flying off, but now it seems like I can't get passed 152 lbs.

I still have a little more fat I need to lose, in my cutting process before I start bulking.. What do you guys recommend?
I'm so confused. You need to loose more weight eventhough you are 152 and you are planning on losing more fat BEFORE bulking? Is it just me or am I missing something here?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by hombrelobo

I'm so confused. You need to loose more weight eventhough you are 152 and you are planning on losing more fat BEFORE bulking? Is it just me or am I missing something here?
laugh.gif
Yes, that is right.. I don't see whats so confusing.. I still have a little bit of body fat left, that I want to get rid of... then I will start bulking..

^dude, bulking entails that you will gain some fat in the process lol i think you have a misunderstanding of what bulking is. it isn't merely adding muscle (that's not the way it works). bulking is adding mass, general mass, that is, fat and muscle and occasional water bloat. to say that you want to lose some more fat before you start bulking just sounds wrong. that's like saying you want to bulk right after you de-bulk. iono, it all evens out eventually if you train hard and eat slightly better. maybe you know all of this already and your weren't clear in your post.

Alright.

Let me re-phrase myself...

I am trying to lower my body fat percentage to get lean and to make my abs even more visible. Then after, I shed some more weight.. I want to start "bulking" in a sense of putting on more lean body weight..

Alright.

I am trying to lower my body fat percentage to get lean and to make my abs even more visible. Then after, I shed some more weight.. I want to start "bulking" in a sense of putting on more lean body weight..
How tall are you, out of curiosity?

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

Alright.

How tall are you, out of curiosity?
5 ft. 9/10in

I'm assuming you mean you want to clean bulk, but regardless of what type of bulk you do, you're going to put on some fat (if you're doing it properly). So, cutting now would really be pointless.

Back
Top Bottom