Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by verynecessary

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

I dont get one thing, I keep hearing opposing advice on this. Cardio after lifting, some say its great because it targets your fat for energy and some say its not good for muscle recovery post workouts. Which is it?
doing a workout to target fat burning is very overrated imo. if that was the best option, all the people at the gym slaving away on the treadmills, ellipticals, and stairmasters would be below 10% bodyfat in no time.

you want to do you highest intensity work towards the beginning of your workouts and finish with the lower intensity stuff. if you switch it around, you end up with less energy to do your most energy intensive work.

as far as the best cardio goes, i'd say it's the exercise that involves the most muscle groups and is weight bearing. running comes pretty close, but it's difficult to maximize your aerobic potential unless you become an advanced endurance runner. even more so for swimming, since lung capacity, lactic threshold, and muscle efficiency are more critical when you have to pace your breathing more. my favorite cardio is sports, especially those that involve a lot of variety of movement and change in direction like basketball, football, soccer, tennis, etc.
This is one of the best wordings and explanations I've read on this subject. Nice.

For me though. I have to lift first and then I go running, simply because I'm already a beast at running and not so much when it comes to the weights. SoI'm still learning all the ropes of weigh training correctly and I don't want to injure myself. So that's why I do my weights first.

If I go for my run (I've been maxing out after about 3.5-4 miles lately) and come home kinda tired, even with a good 1/2 hour-1 hour resting period, I feellike I'll risk an injury cause I'm still a little tired from before.

By the way, anyone know any really good recovery supplements/vitamins/tips?

Especially for runners? When I used to run at my peak 3 years ago, I was able to run 15-17 miles straight, 2 (sometimes 3) times a week but I would need like aday or two in between to recover. I'm slowly making progress to running alot again and I'd like to do more than before.

Any help is appreciated.

I dont get one thing, I keep hearing opposing advice on this. Cardio after lifting, some say its great because it targets your fat for energy and some say its not good for muscle recovery post workouts. Which is it?

Honestly, I say neither. Space them out by at least 6 hours if you really want to do both in one day. From personal experience, cardio afterwards kills yourstrength gains, and I know if I ran first, I wouldn't have energy to lift after.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Honestly, I say neither. Space them out by at least 6 hours if you really want to do both in one day. From personal experience, cardio afterwards kills your strength gains, and I know if I ran first, I wouldn't have energy to lift after.

Damn, this sux I usually go at night for both.

I so need to get back on my grind.. Gotta get my lazy $%* back to running
smh.gif

Yankeephan87 wrote:

Honestly, I say neither. Space them out by at least 6 hours if you really want to do both in one day. From personal experience, cardio afterwards kills your strength gains, and I know if I ran first, I wouldn't have energy to lift after.

Cardio after does not kill strength gains. As long as your body has enough nutrients(ie Carbs) to fuel both your lifting & cardio, you will be fine. Makesure you get a nice postworkout meal in there though.

Don't do cardio before, it will make you weaker in your lifts.

Weighed myself this morning, 199.5
Can't remember the last time I saw a 100 something pounds, makes for about a 70 pound loss since May
pimp.gif
shooting for 185-190 area by the end of December.

Originally Posted by blaxoid

Yankeephan87 wrote:

Cardio after does not kill strength gains. As long as your body has enough nutrients(ie Carbs) to fuel both your lifting & cardio, you will be fine. Make sure you get a nice postworkout meal in there though.

For me it does. I speak from experience, so I don't mess with it.

Originally Posted by Gmills23

Can't remember the last time I saw a 100 something pounds, makes for about a 70 pound loss since May
pimp.gif
Good job man.
pimp.gif

I hope to lose the same in the coming months too.

pimp.gif

Congrats buddy, one of the best feelings in the world.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by hic57999

pimp.gif

Congrats buddy, one of the best feelings in the world.
pimp.gif

chewtoy, I think your right but someone like me who has around 15-20 more lbs to loose, cardio after lifting is good for burning fat right?

Yankeephan87 wrote:

Cardio after does not kill strength gains. As long as your body has enough nutrients(ie Carbs) to fuel both your lifting & cardio, you will be fine. Make sure you get a nice postworkout meal in there though.

How long of a cardio workout are we talking here? 15min? 45 min?

I saw some of the people on the last couple pages ask some similar questions but I still have a couple...Im a sophomore in high school Im about 6' and Iweigh around 160. I lift and workout regularly and im in good shape. Im playing football right now about to start up basketball. This year i have been thinkingthat i might need to gain some weight just because I think im pretty skinny for my hight but I cant seem to do it I always hover right around 160. Ive beengaining muscle mass and getting stronger but i know thats not gonna get me more weight. So what would you recommend I do to gain weight? or should I not try togain any and just keep lifting and working out

Originally Posted by Durden7

Yankeephan87 wrote:

Im lifting heavy but still have significant fat to loose. So on non lifting days I go 55 mins and after lifting 35 with HIIT?

i used to be in better shape..but i stopped exercising regularly..and i havent gained any weight surprisingly..actually ive stayed the same..but my body got alot softer..flabbier..i have no definition at all..

im 5'8 140-145

i eat somewhat healthy..but with long days i find it hard to eat properly and end up binging at night..and have 1 or 2 huge meals..dont drink soda or sugaryjuice..mostly drink water and coffee and tea..
so my question is..how do i tighten t up? and show cuts...

im tempted to drive to Wendy's now
frown.gif
smh.gif

edit: ill drive to the grocery store.. any healthy quick recs???

Yankeephan87 wrote:

Twenty

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

Originally Posted by cartune

Can somebody help me make a grocery list i got a $30 budget and hopefully last me 2 weeks at least.

Goal lose 10 lbs this month
Run, Jog, Walk...Whatever floats you're boat.
pimp.gif

I lost 8 pounds in a week when I jogged & walked with my hoody 2 weeks ago.

Guess I had MAD water weight in me from my Creatine loading week I was going through the week before that.

Some cheap stuff is...
Water gallons > Water bottles (Alot cheaper) Usually $.70-$1
Oatmeal ($3-5 a bucket of plain oatmeal, Get Instant only if you HAVE to)
Wheat Bread $2-2.50
Eggs (Hardboil them, eat 1 yolk for every 3 eggs)
Wheat Pasta $1-2 (Boil about 2 days worth and cover and save the rest in the fridge to reheat later)
Pasta Sauce $1-2
Skim Milk Gallon $2-3
Regular Cornflakes $2-3
Bulk packs of chicken breasts $5-7

This should last you a good week and should run you about $15-16. Then get whatever you've finished eating for the following week

Stop & Shop around me has the cheapest veggies. Like a huge Romaine lettuce is $1.50...Look around for who has the cheapest fruits and veggies. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
Eh. Sometimes cheaper is not the better option. For meat and dairy, definitely stick to organic, grass-fed, etc. Conventional stuff is laden with antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, etc. Sure, it may cost more, but you are paying for quality.
Also, you should avoid having meat or dairy for every meal. Save the meat for dinner and eat lighter throughout the day.
uh im preeeeetty sure you've got it backwards. Dinner is supposed to be one of your lightest meals if not your lightest meal. If dinner'syour heaviest meal, youre storing excess calories most probably. Breakfast should be your largest and most heartiest meal.... and on the subject of straightorganic..... everything's either got hormones, antibiotics or will give you cancer... live a little.

Yankeephan87 wrote:

Im lifting heavy but still have significant fat to loose. So on non lifting days I go 55 mins and after lifting 35 with HIIT?

i think you're making this too complicated. basically, all you need to do is create a energy (calorie deficit). you don't HAVE to docardio to lose weight, and if you overdo it, you'll likely lose the muscle mass you already have. keep your diet in check and you will lose the fat. ifyou're worried about doing them on the same day, then alternate.

i'm curious though... what is your lifting routine like?

Hey NT, I'm sure it's been covered here before, but I want to know if I got my stuff straight before I head in with the wrong information.

So I'm just basically trying to lose weight, fat in this case. What would be the quickest, but safest way to do it? As well as keeping the weight down?

I know that cardio is a big part. Should I be lifting weights as well, even if my main goal is to lose fat?

And about diet, how many calories is too much?

A response would be much appreciated!

I'm pretty much where I want to be.

I don't see the point anymore. WHY!? Now.. How do I stay fit? (And does it include extending the days I'm away from the gym)

Oh and.. Screw supplements. Too expensive and I've made a decent amount of gains without them.

WHY!?

man i took a 4 day break and when i did HIIT today it whooped my $%!
laugh.gif
I had to stop around 20 mins instead of 25 bc my body just felt TIRED. i'm nevertaking that long of a break again. with HIIT, i'm either losing fat or staying the same (ie. when i'm drinking and eating a bunch of junkfood).

if you can suck it up and man up, HIIT will get you were you want, as far as fat loss goes
pimp.gif

for BEGINNERS

1. Cut/reduce sodas/gatorades/ice teas - drink WATER
2. Run/Jog/HIIT do some sort of CARDIO 3-4x a week. Make sure you sweat, put some effort into it.
3. Cut/reduce fast foods/fatty foods/junk foods - eat mainly unprocessed foods

Follow these simple steps for about a month and you'll see results guaranteed. There are absolutely no shortcuts whatsoever in life, why would getting fitbe any different? Its all going to come down to how bad you want it.

Back
Top Bottom