Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

bumble-bee.jpg

THE TRUTH!..my new snack.  little hot sauce and some baby carrots. 

^ A little too much momentum for my approval. However, he could probably do it more impressively with two hands.

Question for the gurus. Lately I've started going heavy on my compounds (deadlifts, squats, powercleans) as they were never a crucial part of my workout until now. But today I started to get really lightheaded and after my workout I was literally on the verge of throwing up...stood over the toilet and everything but would not allow myself to yak in the locker room. Question is what causes this and is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening? I don't wanna go lighter on the workouts bc I see the progress already and I'd like to keep them as a staple.

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

Question for the gurus. Lately I've started going heavy on my compounds (deadlifts, squats, powercleans) as they were never a crucial part of my workout until now. But today I started to get really lightheaded and after my workout I was literally on the verge of throwing up...stood over the toilet and everything but would not allow myself to yak in the locker room. Question is what causes this and is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening? I don't wanna go lighter on the workouts bc I see the progress already and I'd like to keep them as a staple.
just keep at it

means youre working your body hard, youll get used to it and not feel as #+@#+#

It's about oxygen.

Are you breathing properly?

If you lift heavy its going to happen. Prevention? Continue to lift heavy.

Originally Posted by Durden7

It's about oxygen.

I think its this and not cooling down....you cant be lifting and than go sitting down cos you tired gotta stay up and breathe and let your heart rate go back to normal

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

This is some "questionable" advice. 

He just started lifting three major compound exercises which are probably the most taxing lifts on his CNS he has ever done. Its not textbook, its from experience.

You do anything under the 5 rep range Durden? Whats your big 3 like?

One more thing Keith are you doing all of these on the same day? If not what days do you perform these on and when?

He just started lifting three major compound exercises which are probably the most taxing lifts on his CNS he has ever done. Its not textbook, its from experience.

It's most likely his breathing. Doesn't have much to do with lifting heavy in and of itself. An important component of lifting technique is to breathe in the correct way.

Basically the gist is; Right before the eccentric movement you want to take a deep breath in and expand your diaphragm and then complete the eccentric portion of the lift. On the concentric movement you want to exhale slowly until you finish the lift.

Sometimes, especially during heavy triples on the front squat I don't breathe right on a rep and I get the same lightheaded/choking feeling. It also makes the lift harder than it should be.

To just blankly say "continue to do it" to someone who just started performing them isn't the best advice.  You dont know if theres a pre-existing condition thats causing problems or even if hes doing them correctly.  Maybe its the trainer in me, but to make a statement like that without more information can be dangerous.

Yeah, I do reps under 5.  Im on a 4 week cycle of 3 sets of 4 now.  You want to know the stats for my squat, dead and bench?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

It's most likely his breathing. Doesn't have much to do with lifting heavy in and of itself. An important component of lifting technique is to breathe in the correct way.

Basically the whole is; During the eccentric part you want to take a deep breath in and expand your diaphragm. On the concentric movement you want to exhale slowly until you finish the lift.

Sometimes, especially during heavy triples ont eh front squat I don't breathe right on a rep and I get the same lightheaded/choking feeling. It also makes the lift harder than it should be.
Breathing is cool and all, but he just started these lifts. He isn't 100% in shape. Dude might just yak unless his spine is in some completely awkward position or he is doing all the lifts back to back.

Dave Tate actually says to take a deep breath and hold out the belly until the movement is over.

Originally Posted by Derek916

It's about oxygen.

I think its this and not cooling down....you cant be lifting and than go sitting down cos you tired gotta stay up and breathe and let your heart rate go back to normal

Derek from Kennedy? Lee or Fong?

You lost some weight, nice job.

LOL I SEEN YOU AT SAC CITY ( I think)

To just blankly say "continue to do it" to someone who just started performing them isn't the best advice.  You dont know if theres a pre-existing condition thats causing problems or even if hes doing them correctly.  Maybe its the trainer in me, but to make a statement like that without more information can be dangerous.

Yeah, I do reps under 5.  Im on a 4 week cycle of 3 sets of 4 now.  You want to know the stats for my squat, dead and bench?

I don't want to be the one to argue but its not like anyone can get objective and subjective information out of one post. If he has a heart condition, etc why is he on the internet asking for fitness advise, I mean give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he slightly knows what he is doing if he is doing deads or cleans.

and yeah about the last part I thought you knew what a big three was.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Basically the whole is; During the eccentric part you want to take a deep breath in and expand your diaphragm. On the concentric movement you want to exhale slowly until you finish the lift.

Sometimes, especially during heavy triples ont eh front squat I don't breathe right on a rep and I get the same lightheaded/choking feeling. It also makes the lift harder than it should be.
Breathing is cool and all, but he just started these lifts. He isn't 100% in shape. Dude might just yak unless his spine is in some completely awkward position or he is doing all the lifts back to back.

Dave Tate actually says to take a deep breath and hold out the belly until the movement is over.
If he feels like throwing up by simply doing 5 heavy reps then there's def somethign wrong. It's either his breathing or something physiological like Durden alluded to.

If that's Tate's technique then it's cool. Oly lifters prefer to breathe out slow on the concentric in squats and deads. Powerlifters tend to hold it in because breathing with 1/2 ply shirts/ suits is restricted anyhow. 

Can we man up and give some real advise outside of the textbook which I'm sure I have more that both of you anyway? BRO ADVISE.

I just feel like its a bunch of dudes who lift trying to out do each other right now.

Can we man up and give some real advise outside of the textbook which I'm sure I have more that both of you? BRO ADVISE.

I just feel like its a bunch of dudes who lift trying to out do each other right now.
laugh.gif

Na, but for real. I'm almost 100% positive it's his breathing. It's a common problem when lifting heavy.
He just has to work on it like anything else.

I don't want to be the one to argue but its not like anyone can get objective and subjective information out of one post. If he has a heart condition, etc why is he on the internet asking for fitness advise, I mean give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he slightly knows what he is doing if he is doing deads or cleans.

and yeah about the last part I thought you knew what a big three was.

Even if someone does slightly know what theyre doing, that doesnt automatically mean theyre doing it correctly.

I just didnt think it was sound advice to make sure a blank statement like that.  If the advice was "Assuming youre doing it correctly, your body will adjust to it" or something along those lines then I would never have questioned it. I don't believe that a form of prevention is to continue to lift heavy.

I know what the Big 3 are, I just didnt know if you wanted the weight for them.  For 4 reps im around 95 DB Bench, 315 for Squat and tomorrow ill be doing deadlift so I dont know that number yet. 
 word Keith, work on that breathing and report back. If problems still persist grow a sack and keep lifting.
Now this I can handle. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom