Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

upper back has always been pretty strong, i guess lower back might be stronger as i can deadlift a lot but i dunno how much of a role it plays compared to hams/glutes/traps etc

biceps i guess were never weak just always lagging in terms of size, tris and chest pretty much have gone hand in hand in terms of strength+development.

probably just genetics in terms of muscle shape, i also have long arms so that might make the biceps longer and thus look skinnier

Most likey the culprit. I'm not a tall guy but I have relatively long arms for my height.

btw, you should try upright rows unless you know for a fact that they;ll lead to an injury in your case. I don't buy the argument that uprights in general lead to shoulder injuries.
I have ridiculously poor flexibility (genetically; my brother has pretty sick flexibility though) and I'v enever had any serious problems with upright rows. Once every 3 or 4 months I' ll get a  middle deltoid strain but it usually heals by the next workout.

It's such a good compound exercise. Deltoids, traps, forearms, and biceps. Lateral or front DB raises don't even come close to producing the same results.

I think the problem lies in the fact that a lot of people who try it start out doing it wrong.
ill try to dig it up but i found a couple articles about how the damage comes gradually over time no matter how good your form is

you feel fine but 8 years down the road you get problems

not sure how valid it is though, but it was enough to scare me off.
laugh.gif

I certainly don't do them. Evidence being: I had an inflamed shoulder as a result of the massive amounts of serving I did while on the tennis team (4 years high school). Once I started lifting, my right shoulder would always feel a bit off and had this slight pain. That led me to believe that upright rows weren't really that safe, because my tendons were inflamed, the nerves were pinching more than normal.
Upright rows may exacerbate pre-existing conditions but that holds true for any exercise. Upright rows do produce quite a bit of internal rotation but ultimately it really depends on the anatomy of every individual. I guess it's similar to how some of the best dead lifters in the world barely use any leg drive. When they deadlift it looks as if they're just ebding at the waist and pulling the bar up. It makes you wonder how they don't get hurt.

What do you guys do for 'speed' days?

Wawa, I see you writing a lot about 'speed' days...could you post a sample workout?

Iwould definitely like to get more explosive in some lifts...I think mybench is so weak because I'm always slow to bring the bar up even whenthe weight aint that heavy.
For speed days I tend to work in the 1-3 rep and 6-10 set range.

I only do one speed bench exercise and it's using the smith machine. Load 30-45% of 1RM and just throw the bar as high as you can.
Training Push Presses or Jerks for speed will also def improve your bench. Although with these you want to work in the 60-75% 1RM range.

I also train a lot with bands on speed days.

Most people forget (or don't evne think about it in these terms) that Force = mass x accelaration. In reality, one can improve his acceleration far more than he can pack on efficient mass.

probably been discussed before but lately i've been working out later and later i.e. 1am - 3am and since i still wake up early i work out in the morning without the usual soreness 10am...is that good or bad?

upper back has always been pretty strong, i guess lower back might be stronger as i can deadlift a lot but i dunno how much of a role it plays compared to hams/glutes/traps etc

biceps i guess were never weak just always lagging in terms of size, tris and chest pretty much have gone hand in hand in terms of strength+development.

probably just genetics in terms of muscle shape, i also have long arms so that might make the biceps longer and thus look skinnier

Most likey the culprit. I'm not a tall guy but I have relatively long arms for my height.

btw, you should try upright rows unless you know for a fact that they;ll lead to an injury in your case. I don't buy the argument that uprights in general lead to shoulder injuries.
I have ridiculously poor flexibility (genetically; my brother has pretty sick flexibility though) and I'v enever had any serious problems with upright rows. Once every 3 or 4 months I' ll get a  middle deltoid strain but it usually heals by the next workout.

It's such a good compound exercise. Deltoids, traps, forearms, and biceps. Lateral or front DB raises don't even come close to producing the same results.

I think the problem lies in the fact that a lot of people who try it start out doing it wrong.
ill try to dig it up but i found a couple articles about how the damage comes gradually over time no matter how good your form is

laugh.gif

I certainly don't do them. Evidence being: I had an inflamed shoulder as a result of the massive amounts of serving I did while on the tennis team (4 years high school). Once I started lifting, my right shoulder would always feel a bit off and had this slight pain. That led me to believe that upright rows weren't really that safe, because my tendons were inflamed, the nerves were pinching more than normal.
Upright rows may exacerbate pre-existing conditions but that holds true for any exercise. Upright rows do produce quite a bit of internal rotation but ultimately it really depends on the anatomy of every individual. I guess it's similar to how some of the best dead lifters in the world barely use any leg drive. When they deadlift it looks as if they're just ebding at the waist and pulling the bar up. It makes you wonder how they don't get hurt.

Wawa, I see you writing a lot about 'speed' days...could you post a sample workout?

Iwould definitely like to get more explosive in some lifts...I think mybench is so weak because I'm always slow to bring the bar up even whenthe weight aint that heavy.

I only do one speed bench exercise and it's using the smith machine. Load 30-45% of 1RM and just throw the bar as high as you can.
Training Push Presses or Jerks for speed will also def improve your bench. Although with these you want to work in the 60-75% 1RM range.

Most people forget (or don't evne think about it in these terms) that Force = mass x accelaration. In reality, one can improve his acceleration far more than he can pack on efficient mass.

So what do you do...just lift the weight as fast as possible?

Is it possible to do 'speed barbell squat' or 'speed deadlifts'?

speaking of that i dont get how most dudes actually do use so much leg drive on dls

i go heavy and i mean i dont do the almost sldl's like a lot of those powerlifters do, but im halfway between that and a "textbook" one

my back isnt rounded or anything so w/e i dont think its bad

i find it easier to do this....maybe because my atg squats i rep 315 and thats it but i go way heavier on dl's so my legs can't handle that kinda weight that well. who knows.

Mannn, I've yet to push 3 digit dumbells....

Maybe in a few months.

Personal goal of mine.

Grrrrr

Also quick question. Pull-ups of different variations make it so that I don't need to add other exercises into my routine right? (Back, biceps)

I do deadlifts, pull-ups, chin-ups, and rows. Am I set? Thanks in advance.

I fell off the horse
smh.gif
Was workin out for a good month regularly then finals week strolled around and I stopped and haven't started back up til this past Wednesday. Trainin urself to work out even when u don't want to is the hardest part

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

I fell off the horse
smh.gif
Was workin out for a good month regularly then finals week strolled around and I stopped and haven't started back up til this past Wednesday. Trainin urself to work out even when u don't want to is the hardest part

at first it can be hard. but once you start seeing results u cant wait to get to the gym. honestly its the highlight of my day. stick with it. the days that you dont wanna go are the days that really count. 

Originally Posted by Sais 9mm

started this this week.
Something different from the 5x5s i was doing before

Monday - Chest and Forearms
Exercise to be performed in order

1. Bar or Incline Smith Machine Press or Incline DB press - 4 sets 10-12 reps

2. Flat dumbbell press or Flat Bench- 4 sets 10-12 reps

3. Peck Deck/Cable flys or DB flys - 4sets 10-12 reps - smooth and controlled motions

4. Machine Incline Press 4 sets 10 to 12 reps - Squeeze 1 second each rep

5. Reverse curls 3 sets 10 to 12 reps

6. Crunches - 3 sets 25 reps

7. Leg raise - 3 sets 25 reps

Tuesday - Back and Hams

1. Shoulder width Pull downs to the front - 4 sets 10-12 reps

2. Under hand bent over barbell 4 sets 10-12 reps

3. 1 arm dumbbell rows - 4 sets 10-12 reps

4. Seated Cable Rows 3 sets 10-12 reps - Squeeze 1 second each rep

5. Dead Lift from the floor -4 sets 8 reps -

6. Seated Leg Curls 4 sets 10 to 12 reps

7. Lying Leg curl - 4 sets 10-12 reps

8. Standing Leg Curls 3 sets 10-12 reps

Wednesday - Shoulders

1. Seated Dumbbell Press or seated smith machine front press 4 sets 10 - 12 reps (no rear/standing presses

2. Seated side lateral raise - 4 sets 10- 12 reps

3. Bent over rear delt fly - 4 sets 10 - 12 reps - smooth and controlled motions

4. Upright rows 3 sets 10 - 12 reps (Down with a slow motion - like doing the most muscular pose)

5. DB Shrugs 3 sets 10 - 12 reps

6. Standing Calves - 5 sets 10-12 reps

7. Crunches - 3 sets 25 reps

8. Reverse crunches - 3 sets 25 reps

Thursday - Arms

1. Standing Barbell Curls - 4sets 10-12 reps

2. Alternate DB seated curls 4sets 10-12 reps

3. One arm Preacher curls (on a 90 degree angle) 4 sets 10-12 reps

4. Hammer curls - 3 sets 10-12 reps

5. Triceps Press down with V bar or Rope - 4 sets 10-12 reps

6. Skull crushers or one arm DB extension - 4 sets 10-12 reps

7. Close grip Bench press (hold hands about 6 inches apart - 4 sets 10 - 12 rep

8. Seated Calves -- 5 sets 10-12 reps

9. Standing Calves - 3 sets 10 - 12 reps

Friday - Legs
Exercise to be performed in order-

Leg extension- 4 sets 10-12 reps

Leg press (feet 10 inches apart only) --4 sets 10-12

Back Squats 4 sets 10 to 12 reps

Hack Squats or Sissy Squats- 4 sets 10 to 12 reps

Seated Calves -- 5 sets 10-12 reps

Standing Calves - 3 sets 10 - 12 reps

Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.
That seems like a lot of sets. A couple of notes:
I think 4 exercises just for biceps is complete overkill, especially when you take into account your triceps make up the majority of your arms. I think you'll be overworking your arms with that arms day and wont get much out of most of your lifts.
I'd throw some lunges into your leg day and take out leg press.
Do military presses instead of seated dumbbell presses
Throw in some pullups in your back day, I don't think you're hitting your lats hard enough with those exercises. Also, do good mornings for hamstring/lower back development. Go light, so oyu don't hurt yourself, and they can do wonders for your other compound lifts.

Other than that, I think it's a pretty good workout... and looks eerily similar to mine. It's worked so far, I put on 5 pounds this month
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

started this this week.

3. Peck Deck/Cable flys or DB flys - 4sets 10-12 reps - smooth and controlled motions

Tuesday - Back and Hams

Wednesday - Shoulders

1. Seated Dumbbell Press or seated smith machine front press 4 sets 10 - 12 reps (no rear/standing presses

3. Bent over rear delt fly - 4 sets 10 - 12 reps - smooth and controlled motions

4. Upright rows 3 sets 10 - 12 reps (Down with a slow motion - like doing the most muscular pose)

Thursday - Arms

Friday - Legs

I think 4 exercises just for biceps is complete overkill, especially when you take into account your triceps make up the majority of your arms. I think you'll be overworking your arms with that arms day and wont get much out of most of your lifts.
tired.gif
here we go with this again.... I think a major problem with people giving advice in this thread, is that we seem to forget or not think what the individuals goals are.
Also It seems with the amount of information and advice it confuses alot of people unknowingly in regards to training.
Why give powerlifting advice to someone who wants to bodybuild?
If your logic was to be taken into further consideration then calf exercises are a waste?

Originally Posted by IICEMAN83

started this this week.

Tuesday - Back and Hams

Wednesday - Shoulders

Thursday - Arms

Friday - Legs

tired.gif
here we go with this again.... I think a major problem with people giving advice in this thread, is that we seem to forget or not think what the individuals goals are.
Also It seems with the amount of information and advice it confuses alot of people unknowingly in regards to training.
If your logic was to be taken into further consideration then calf exercises are a waste?
Well when I said 'most of your lifts', you probably misunderstood me. By his lifts, I'm referring to his biceps/triceps exercises, not his powerlifts. I just don't think the biceps, or any muscle for that matter, can really be effective after being isolated for a total of approx. 160-192 reps. Why not go hard on 2, or even 3, of those exercises?

I didn't understand your calves comment, but I'm going to assume it's a direct result of the misunderstanding I just cleared up.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

laugh.gif

So what do you do...just lift the weight as fast as possible?

Is it possible to do 'speed barbell squat' or 'speed deadlifts'?

With the Smith Machine throws you literally try to throw the bar up from your chest as high as you can.

I don't really do speed deadlifts per se but I instead I do clean pulls for speed.  It's a deadlift but with an extra 2 motions (extending backwards and getting on your toes and a shrug) added on. There's a video of the lift not too many ages back.

speaking of that i dont get how most dudes actually do use so much leg drive on dls

i go heavy and i mean i dont do the almost sldl's like a lot of thosepowerlifters do, but im halfway between that and a "textbook" one

my back isnt rounded or anything so w/e i dont think its bad

i find it easier to do this....maybe because my atg squats i rep 315and thats it but i go way heavier on dl's so my legs can't handle thatkinda weight that well. who knows.

You ever try deadlifts from a platform? I usually throw them in once every 5-6 deadlift sessions. I use one of these and the exact same height.

The_STEP_Aerobic_Step_Reebok_Club_Step.jpg

Prob 3.5" to 4" in? idk

Physically not too bad but it kills your CNS for a few days.

tired.gif
Well when I said 'most of your lifts', you probably misunderstood me. By his lifts, I'm referring to his biceps/triceps exercises, not his powerlifts. I just don't think the biceps, or any muscle for that matter, can really be effective after being isolated for a total of approx. 160-192 reps. Why not go hard on 2, or even 3, of those exercises?

I didn't understand your calves comment, but I'm going to assume it's a direct result of the misunderstanding I just cleared up.

I didnt misunderstand. I AM referring to your comment about arm exercises (check bolds). Like I said, do you know what his goals are? how can you give such generic advice when  training types are goal dependent?

I just don't think the biceps, or any muscle for that matter, canreally be effective after being isolated for a total of approx. 160-192reps.
effective at what, lifting the weight or for building muscle?

tired.gif

I didnt misunderstand. I AM referring to your comment about arm exercises (check bolds). Like I said, do you know what his goals are? how can you give such generic advice when  training types are goal dependent?

I just don't think the biceps, or any muscle for that matter, canreally be effective after being isolated for a total of approx. 160-192reps.
effective at what, lifting the weight or for building muscle?

Some of the best por BB'ers train using a core powerlift routine. Johnnie Jackson  and Ronnie Coleman come to mind.
I may be wrong but I tell beginners to always start with a powerlifitng/strentgh training routine because it's just plain better than straight BB'ing. If they ever want to transition ot solely BB'ing then they can. However, if they start of just BB';ing and then wish to transition to power/strentgh training it'd be extremely difficult at first.

btw, I've alweays been a fan of Johnnie Jackson's physique. His physizue is aesthetically pleasing and not grotesque like most BB'ers who juice.

Johnnie+Jackson2.jpg

I think people split up/confuse powerlifting with bodybuilding too much. They're different in the sense that one is done with the intent of just getting stronger and lifting as much weight as possible, while the other is meant to build muscle and shape the physique. The only reason to have a beginner focus more on "powerlifting" exercise in the beginning is to train their bodies to recruit the max amount of muscles per lift and to not overtrain smaller muscles when they aren't capable of that kind of recovery yet.

Bodybuilders still use the same lifts as powerlifters, just often for different rep ranges. Most bodybuilders with some experience and knowledge rely on squats, deads, presses more than anything else in their training, it's just done in a different format. It's just two different worlds, and it just gets frustrating sometimes for a bodybuilder who's goal is to get their body to LOOK a certain way to always hear a lecture from a powerlifter or crossfit athlete on how useless a bicep curl or lateral raise is, or how they're doing too much volume. If you're routine is balanced, and you recover within 2 days, you're ok for volume.

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

I think people split up/confuse powerlifting with bodybuilding too much. They're different in the sense that one is done with the intent of just getting stronger and lifting as much weight as possible, while the other is meant to build muscle and shape the physique. The only reason to have a beginner focus more on "powerlifting" exercise in the beginning is to train their bodies to recruit the max amount of muscles per lift and to not overtrain smaller muscles when they aren't capable of that kind of recovery yet.

Bodybuilders still use the same lifts as powerlifters, just often for different rep ranges. Most bodybuilders with some experience and knowledge rely on squats, deads, presses more than anything else in their training, it's just done in a different format. It's just two different worlds, and it just gets frustrating sometimes for a bodybuilder who's goal is to get their body to LOOK a certain way to always hear a lecture from a powerlifter or crossfit athlete on how useless a bicep curl or lateral raise is, or how they're doing too much volume. If you're routine is balanced, and you recover within 2 days, you're ok for volume.

Some of the best por BB'ers train using a core powerlift routine. Johnnie Jackson  and Ronnie Coleman come to mind.
I may be wrong but I tell beginners to always start with a powerlifitng/strentgh training routine because it's just plain better than straight BB'ing. If they ever want to transition ot solely BB'ing then they can. However, if they start of just BB';ing and then wish to transition to power/strentgh training it'd be extremely difficult at first.

btw, I've alweays been a fan of Johnnie Jackson's physique. His physizue is aesthetically pleasing and not grotesque like most BB'ers who juice.

Some of the best por BB'ers train using a core powerlift routine.
you mean squats, deads, bench etc....??? of coarse they do ALONG with their isolation exercises. Which bobybuilder does not apply compound exercises to their routine.

you mean squats, deads, bench etc....??? of coarse they do ALONG with their isolation exercises. Which bobybuilder does not apply compound exercises to their routine.

Not only that. I also mean that part of their routine is a strict powerlifting routine (low rep, heavy weight). In fact, I think both Jackson and Coleman were power lifters before they got into pro BB'ing (I know Coleman was in his days a cop but I'm not too sure about Jackson) .

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

You're most likely right but it shouldn't be frustrating.

I hear it all the time from people at the gym.

"Bro, you should have an arm day". "Bro, you only do 8 sets for chest?" "Bro, you don't do 50 sets for abs"?
It never really bothers me. Either I choose to accept the advice or I don't.

Not only that. I also mean that part of their routine is a strict powerlifting routine (low rep, heavy weight). In fact, I think both Jackson and Coleman were power lifters before they got into pro BB'ing (I know Coleman was in his days a cop but I'm not too sure about Jackson) .

Yea JOJs first calling was power lifting. I dont know much about much about JOJs training but I do know he does not train the same when hes doing a powerlifting comp and BBing comp. As for Colemans training, low rep, heavy weight...That only applies to his last 1-2 sets of deads and squats(not sure about bench). Ronnie DOES NOT train with a power lifter routine. Just because he trains heavy doesnt mean its a power lifter routine

You ever try deadlifts from a platform? I usually throw them in once every 5-6 deadlift sessions. I use one of these and the exact same height.

The_STEP_Aerobic_Step_Reebok_Club_Step.jpg

Prob 3.5" to 4" in? idk

Physically not too bad but it kills your CNS for a few days.
I've done em standing on 45lb plates but that doesn't provide the height that platform does. I'll try that out. I have hamstring flexibility issues sometimes though so i'll have to really stretch for a few days before

going on my 3rd week of insanity. and its insane. but as long as you push harder every day, you really can feel a difference.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Currently going through my certification process to become a professional trainer. I'm sure I'll be changing the way I workout after I come out of this; I've already learned some little tips for workouts that I'm itching to try after I finish my current program.
Where are you getting your cert from

Yeah im curious too
BCRPA.  I heard it has the highest standard in Canada, and is higher than a lot of certification bodies in the US, too.

Back
Top Bottom