Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Sais, I feel like you should put Legs on wednesday/thursday. Let your arms take a break for a day. Then hit them on friday.

Originally Posted by EveryDayKicks

Originally Posted by EveryDayKicks

what are y'all listening to in the gym? I need some new workout music

nerd.gif

Don't ask.

Pull Ups
No Weights 1x15
5lbs 1x10
15lbs 1x6
20 1x4
25 1x4
30 1x2
35 1x2
Pretty stoked I squeezed two clean ones with 35lbs.

Standing Shoulder Press
95lbs 1x10
75 lbs 1x10
65 1 x10

Deadlift
135 1x10
125 1x10
115 1x10

Incline Dumbell Press
55 (110) 1x10
50 (100) 1x10
45 (90) 1x10

Jump Rope 5 minutes, Treadmill Incline 15, Speed 4-6 for 10 minutes

Awesome Friday morning. This should all change starting next week when I start training for my tri. Like to spend 3 days in the pool.

Today's WOD...

5 rounds for time:

5x handstand pushups
5x BW front squat (185lbs)
5x strict pullups
5x knee to elbows

Workout

2 min spring on bike (Level 5)

15 squats

Lunge into shoulder press (7 times each leg)

Wood Chops

Single leg Lunge each leg; down for 7 pushups (7 times)

Pushup/Squat Trust Pyramid. 1 pushup; 1 ST; 2 pushups 1 ST; 3 pushups 1 ST; so on.......up to 10.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Guess who just made it to the triple digit dumbbell press club?

pimp.gif

repped out 7 (@100lb) with a spotter.

Congrats Fam

I swear I was so pumped when I hit 100lb DB's for the first time
Ive been stuck at 100lb's for awhile
eyes.gif
Cant jump to 105 yet

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

Sais, I feel like you should put Legs on wednesday/thursday. Let your arms take a break for a day. Then hit them on friday.

That is a good idea. I might try that 
I'm going to do a full week this way first.

Actually tomorrow will be leg day if i make it because i started on Tuesday 

Originally Posted by JBSB1989

wawaweewa wrote:
JBSB1989 wrote:
Yo! I need some help.

Ive been working out for a little over 2 years and in the recent months I have finally been able to bench press 100lb. dumbbells.

Problem is Ive hit a plateau and cant push 105lb. dumbbells. I started to rep 100's 4x a set now im up to 12x a set but I cant hit 105's. Is it to much strain on my wrists?

Im starting to have the same problem with my regular bench press im stuck maxing out at 275
eyes.gif
(i can add 5lb plates but not 10lb)

Insight?
How much do you weigh? Do you get help getting the first rep up on DB presses? What's your poundage lay out like for sets ( more like 80, 90, 100 or 90, 95, 100?).

Most likely a combination

I weigh 185. I dont get help on the first rep unless im on my last set. And my sets are more like 85 95 100. Im trying to make that jump to 105 but cant.

Looks alright. Although if you can do 100 for 12 then you should do all 4 sets (or however many sets you do) at that weight.

It can either mean that you've hit your plateu for this exercise in terms of your body weight. Which usually means that you have to increase your speed. It can also mean that your secondary and tertiary muscles are weak relative to main muscle groups used in the dumbbell press. In this case I'd recommend tryign to improve on weighted dips and heavy (1-3 rep range) push presses or jerks in order to strengthen your triceps.

How far down do you go though? As far down as your shoulder will allow or more like halfway? If you're doing 100x12 then doing 105 for 4 or even 6 shouldn't be a problem. Although everybody has a certain point on an excercise where even a marginal weight increase feels like it's substantially more.

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

That is a good idea. I might try that 
I'm going to do a full week this way first.

Actually tomorrow will be leg day if i make it because i started on Tuesday

Some advice I always give to less experienced lifters is not to have a day solely dedicated to arms. It is a waste of time and could be used for better purposes (speed day/recovery day). The biceps and triceps aren't big muscle groupings and don't require their own day.

I think I mentioned it in the first thread but have you ever seen a lifter with a strong back and biceps? Or a strong presser with small triceps? However, you always see it the other way around and most of the time it looks funny.

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

thats true but ive always had a disproportionately strong back/small biceps. even now they're lagging a little.

This is usually from a posture with a rounded upper back and protracted shoulders. Try and touch your elbows together at the front of your chest then lift your elbows straight up, if you can't get past your upper chest then your lats are tight, rounded shoulders means tight chest. Start static stretching/foam rolling your Chest and Lats. I'd actually suggest foam rolling regardless.

thats true but ive always had a disproportionately strong back/small biceps. even now they're lagging a little.
Strong upper or lower back? Biceps have a lot more to do with the upper back but either way your biceps are prob relatively strong for their size. Some people naturally have smaller/ larger muscle bellies and the bicep is one of those muscles where it can look big and be piss poor weak or look small and relatively strong.

The tricep makes up 2/3 of the arm so in reality it may be your tri's. Just sayin.
nerd.gif

upper back has always been pretty strong, i guess lower back might be stronger as i can deadlift a lot but i dunno how much of a role it plays compared to hams/glutes/traps etc

biceps i guess were never weak just always lagging in terms of size, tris and chest pretty much have gone hand in hand in terms of strength+development.

probably just genetics in terms of muscle shape, i also have long arms so that might make the biceps longer and thus look skinnier

Heads up, Myofusion Protien is on sale for 28 bucks for a 5lb tub which is a great deal. Better than that FITRX one. No shipping or taxes either. Use Pro10 at checkout. Nutraplanet is the site. Ive ordered before they ship fast too. z

upper back has always been pretty strong, i guess lower back might be stronger as i can deadlift a lot but i dunno how much of a role it plays compared to hams/glutes/traps etc

biceps i guess were never weak just always lagging in terms of size, tris and chest pretty much have gone hand in hand in terms of strength+development.

probably just genetics in terms of muscle shape, i also have long arms so that might make the biceps longer and thus look skinnier

Most likey the culprit. I'm not a tall guy but I have relatively long arms for my height.

btw, you should try upright rows unless you know for a fact that they;ll lead to an injury in your case. I don't buy the argument that uprights in general lead to shoulder injuries.
I have ridiculously poor flexibility (genetically; my brother has pretty sick flexibility though) and I'v enever had any serious problems with upright rows. Once every 3 or 4 months I' ll get a  middle deltoid strain but it usually heals by the next workout.

It's such a good compound exercise. Deltoids, traps, forearms, and biceps. Lateral or front DB raises don't even come close to producing the same results.

I think the problem lies in the fact that a lot of people who try it start out doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Most likey the culprit. I'm not a tall guy but I have relatively long arms for my height.

btw, you should try upright rows unless you know for a fact that they;ll lead to an injury in your case. I don't buy the argument that uprights in general lead to shoulder injuries.
I have ridiculously poor flexibility (genetically; my brother has pretty sick flexibility though) and I'v enever had any serious problems with upright rows. Once every 3 or 4 months I' ll get a  middle deltoid strain but it usually heals by the next workout.

It's such a good compound exercise. Deltoids, traps, forearms, and biceps. Lateral or front DB raises don't even come close to producing the same results.

I think the problem lies in the fact that a lot of people who try it start out doing it wrong.
ill try to dig it up but i found a couple articles about how the damage comes gradually over time no matter how good your form is

you feel fine but 8 years down the road you get problems

not sure how valid it is though, but it was enough to scare me off.
laugh.gif

I just got the ON Whey Double Chocolate thing earlier. Mixed it with milk and some ice. Thought it was going to taste like chocolate milk
frown.gif

If I wanted to slim down around 10-15lbs whats the best way to do it? Cardio + Eating right? Currently I'm 5"8 168lbs and I wanna get around the 150 range, I also lift a decent amount.

What do you guys do for 'speed' days?

Wawa, I see you writing a lot about 'speed' days...could you post a sample workout?

I would definitely like to get more explosive in some lifts...I think my bench is so weak because I'm always slow to bring the bar up even when the weight aint that heavy.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

ill try to dig it up but i found a couple articles about how the damage comes gradually over time no matter how good your form is

you feel fine but 8 years down the road you get problems

not sure how valid it is though, but it was enough to scare me off.
laugh.gif

I certainly don't do them. Evidence being: I had an inflamed shoulder as a result of the massive amounts of serving I did while on the tennis team (4 years high school). Once I started lifting, my right shoulder would always feel a bit off and had this slight pain. That led me to believe that upright rows weren't really that safe, because my tendons were inflamed, the nerves were pinching more than normal.

Originally Posted by Vietishi

If I wanted to slim down around 10-15lbs whats the best way to do it? Cardio + Eating right? Currently I'm 5"8 168lbs and I wanna get around the 150 range, I also lift a decent amount.
Also wondering this, except i'm at 180 at about 5'11"-6'0" trying to get down to like 160.

Back
Top Bottom