Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I haven't seen any mention here yet about the sanitation line being a Clerks reference.

Kevin Smith has been quoting Star Wars for years and then a Stormtrooper references Clerks? Pretty funny if it was intentional rather than just a basic joke.

JJ did invite Kevin Smith on the set of Force Awakens. Kevin cried tears of joy when he saw the Millenium Falcon

Last edited:

But he did use the Force BEFORE they start fighting. He tossed Rey 50 feet across the forest into a tree and knocked her unconscious.
That's when Finn started to fight with him.
Yeah I understand that and I see why you'd complain about that but I kinda took that as his last big use of the force. Once he started fighting Finn that's when he started punching his side to get some pain to stay angry using the dark side to fight cuz although Finn is untrained with a light saber he's still a former storm trooper that has had that training who could get a few good licks in on Kylo who is heavily wounded.

I'm saying he was so hurt from the injury that he got off that one force push and maybe could've done a few more but against someone coming at him with a light saber the focus would then have to switch to sword fighting in that state. Normally he'd be able to do both.
I think its also that when the force is flowing through someone they have a shield that blocks basic force attacks. like rey had her guard down the first time and when she shot at him so he was able to use a force move on her, but once she had the force flowing through her he would not be able to freeze her anymore. Or every star wars fight would just be the stronger force user freezing the other guy, walking up and cutting his/her head off.

As for Finn, Kylo was just trying to style on him 

He just killed his dad, I think he was lost in that moment.

Its not really BS. Luke doesn't know of the old ways of the Jedi Training. I mean look at his training. He more than likely trained his students on the way of the force before lightsabers but that's just a guess. We won't know if this is truly bs until the next movie or whenever we learn more about Ren, Rey and Luke.
I can kinda see that except for the fact that he didnt see Han as his dad anymore, and him killing Han was more of a rite of passage to him.
The only reason I kinda entertain that theory is because he says that he has felt the "call to the light' and asks for Vadar's guidance.

But to me it felt more like he enjoyed it especially since after driving the saber through Han he looks right into his eyes and says "Thank You"

He was conflicted, very much so in fact.
He stood that bridge, in the light, knowing he needed to kill Han, but not sure he could do it.
He offered his light saber, Han was taking it, emotion pouring thru Kylo,

And then the darkness came and strengthened him, and he activated his saber.

No matter good or bad, it had an impact on him, which distracted him from Chewie's blast. That injury ultimately slowed him down enough for Finn and Rey to compete with him. Uninjured, he probably washes them.

he pretty much dominated Finn, only reason it lasted so long was when he was beating his side and showing off his saber flipping (IMO this suggests that he doesnt do much real fight training)

vs rey he is very dominant, rey is on the run the entire fight until she lets the force guide her

also keep in mind that the longer this went on the more kylo bled out and got weaker 

basically he was messing around and took two rounds to knock finn out

and with rey he won the first 9 rounds but got knocked out in the 10th 

To me it felt like the struggle that Kylo was going through was that he so desperately wants to be totally immersed in the dark side of the force but cant because there is some light left in him.
Probably due to who his mom is and her sensitivity to the force.

It is referenced several times throughout the film.
1st by Kylo himself when talking to Vadar's helmet, the 2nd time by Leia when she says to Han:"There's still good in him. I know it"
And again by Kylo on the bridge when he says: Im being torn apart. I want to be free of this pain... "
And when he says: "I know what I have to do but I dont know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me?"

I think what he meant by "will you help me" was help him extinguish the light inside of him.
The reason I say this is based off the coversation Kylo and the Supreme Leader had in an earlier scene.

SL: "the droid we seek is aboard the MF, in the hands of your father, Han Solo"
Kylo: He means nothing to me"
SL:" Even you, last of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test.
Kylo:"By the grace of your training I will not be seduced"

Even in the convo with Han, Kylo is adamant about being with the dark side, and never really sways from that.

Kylo: Han Solo. Ive been waiting for this day for a long time.
Han: Take off that mask
Kylo What do you think you will see if I do?
Han: The face of my son
Kylo: Your son is gone. He was weak and foolish like his father so I destroyed him
Han: Thats what Snoke wants you to believe, but its not true. My son is alive
Kylo: No. The Supreme Leader is wise.
Han: Snoke is using you for your power. When he gets what he wants he'll crush you... You know its true
Kylo: Its too late
Han: No its not. Leave here with me. Come home. We miss you
Kylo: Im being torn apart. I want to be free of this pain... I know what I have to do but I dont know if I have the strength to do it. Will you help me?
Han: Yes! Anything

I really believe that scene on the bridge was all about Kylo killing any trace of Ben once and for all. Which is what he wants.
But to do that he first had to kill what brings out some of the good in him. His father.

the "pull" of the light side and the "pull" of the dark side is a simple metaphor for human emotion

that's what made the original movies great, there was no dumb scientific reason for it (midiclorians). we all understood how luke felt because the pull of the darkside is simply the human instinct to give into fear/anger/hate and act upon it

likewise, kylo's struggle and what he sees as the pull from the lightside is guilt/love, its hard for him because he feels guilty about his killing he feels guilt about killing a man he once loved. 

Yes, the force is very powerful but at its core it's about relatable human emotions which is what makes it so compelling to us non-force users 

I think its also that when the force is flowing through someone they have a shield that blocks basic force attacks. like rey had her guard down the first time and when she shot at him so he was able to use a force move on her, but once she had the force flowing through her he would not be able to freeze her anymore. Or every star wars fight would just be the stronger force user freezing the other guy, walking up and cutting his/her head off.

As for Finn, Kylo was just trying to style on him 
This is true but as we have seen many times before, users of the dark side love to use their environment against you.
We saw it when Palpaltine fought Yoda in the senate, when Count Dooku fought Obi-Wan and Annakin, when Vadar fought Luke both times.

But like I said I see why he didint take out Rey, because they wanted he alive but Finn... Kylo couldve easily sent a tree branch flying his way and knocked him out.
But instead he wanted to play with him. And I dont think it was because he didnt have it in him because after he slashed Finn he tried to force grab Luke's lightsaber but Rey's force was naturally stronger and the saber was drawn to her more.

Iono. Still a great film but that last fight scene couldve been done ALOT better IMO.

Not sure if mentioned but the books basically comes right out and says that Kylo is getting weaker and weaker as the movie goes on. Because of his struggle with the light, and his emotions towards his father. That's why he tells Vader to show him the darkside.

Not to mention that Rey likely had some Jedi training as a kid. Of course she was very little, but still, it was there. The book also implies that Kylo cares about Rey / has compassion for her. So he wasn't trying to kill her.

And like others have said, Kylo was hurt, he wasn't 100% in the battle at all. Mentally, or physically.

And I don't see the reason for the complains regarding his fight vs Finn. Finn was completely outmatched vs Kylo. Ren was just toying with him. Like Maul did vs Obi-Wan... Like Vader did with Luke (using a one hand stance and then switching to a two hand stance once he realized he couldn't play with Luke) and like Sidious did to Luke, torturing him with lightning for minutes before he decided to kill him. Dark side users are known to play with their opponents only for it to bite them in the butt.. So Kylo doing it with Finn is no surprise, he finished him when he was ready.

Last edited:
Not sure if mentioned but the books basically comes right out and says that Kylo is getting weaker and weaker as the movie goes on. Because of his struggle with the light, and his emotions towards his father. That's why he tells Vader to show him the darkside.

Not to mention that Rey likely had some Jedi training as a kid. Of course she was very little, but still, it was there. The book also implies that Kylo cares about Rey / has compassion for her. So he wasn't trying to kill her.

And like others have said, Kylo was hurt, he wasn't 100% in the battle at all. Mentally, or physically.

And I don't see the reason for the complains regarding his fight vs Finn. Finn was completely outmatched vs Kylo. Ren was just toying with him. Like Maul did vs Obi-Wan... Like Vader did with Luke (using a one hand stance and then switching to a two hand stance once he realized he couldn't play with Luke) and like Sidious did to Luke, torturing him with lightning for minutes before he decided to kill him. Dark side users are known to play with their opponents only for it to bite them in the butt.. So Kylo doing it with Finn is no surprise, he finished him when he was ready.

Once Finn nicked his arm, then he stopped playing around

for a fin/han solo costume, what are some nice pants that would also work for other occasions? 

Speaking of Finn... when he takes off that Stormtrooper armor... did he still have on the white shoes?  

The midichlorian stuff doesn't really discount the whole dark side/light side human emotions metaphor. It just explains on a science level how they work in a vague way which still sounds like magic. Its no different than science explaining emotions via biochemistry and how parts of the brain works.

When it was first brought up sounded like some dbz **** to me :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom