Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Star Wars' Scores Monster Monday With Record $40.1M, Hits $610.8M Globally

Star Wars: The Force Awakens continued its history-setting ride at the Monday box office, grossing $40.1 million from 4,134 theaters in North America to crush the previous daily record set by Spider-Man 2 in summer 2004 with $27.7 million.

J.J. Abrams' tentpole finished the day with a $288.1 million cume in domestic ticket sales and $610.8 million worldwide. Internationally, Force Awakens earned another $41.7 million on Monday — including the biggest Monday ever in the U.K./Ireland ($8.8 million) and France ($4.4 million) — for a foreign gross of $322.7 million. It is the fastest title in history to hit those numbers.

In many countries, including the U.S., the movie is seeing a big boost from many kids and college students being out of school.

Spider-Man 2 took in $27.7 million on the Monday following July 4th, when many people were on holiday. The biggest non-holiday Monday belongs to this summer's Jurassic World with $25.3 million. By way of comparison, Force Awakens came in 44 percent ahead of Spider-Man 2's first Monday and 60 percent ahead of Jurassic World.

Over the weekend, Force Awakens launched to a stunning $248 million domestically and $529 million globally, wresting the crown from Jurassic World, which opened to $208.8 million in North America and $524 million worldwide.

Its performance so far is a major victory for Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger and his film studio. “Our sole focus has been creating a film that delivers that one-of-a-kind Star Wars experience, and director J.J. Abrams, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and the Lucasfilm team have outdone themselves,” Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said in a statement.

Abrams' sequel, set 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI — Return of the Jedi, features a strong female heroine in Rey, a young scavenger played by newcomer Daisy Ridley. Rey and a renegade stormtrooper (John Boyega) band together to challenge a rising evil that includes a new planet-killing laser cannon.

The film also stars Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong'o and Domhnall Gleeson, along with original trilogy stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

At this rate, there's no telling how high Force Awakens will ultimately fly in terms of box-office revenue, since films over the year-end holidays can see huge multiples. James Cameron's Avatar opened to $77 million on the same weekend in 2009 on its way to becoming the top-grossing film of all time with $2.79 billion in global ticket sales, including $760.5 million domestically. And on the weekend before Christmas in 1996, Cameron's Titanic took in a mere $28.6 million on its way to grossing $2.19 billion worldwide.

Among Force Awakens' major markets overseas, the U.K. leads with $59.4 million to date, followed by Germany ($31.4 million), France ($26.9 million), Australia ($22.4 million), Japan ($15.9 million), and Russia ($13.3 million).

Elsewhere in North America, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip came in No. 2 with $2.9 million from 3,653 theaters for a four-day domestic total of $17.2 million for Fox. Universal's R-rated comedy Sisters, starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, followed with an estimated $2.5 million from 2,961 locations for a four-day domestic cume of $16.5 million.

Source:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-scores-850681

I thought Snoke was really that big. (pause)
“Andy Serkis, the master of CGI characters from Gollum to King Kong, plays the still-unseen Supreme Leader Snoke who has scenes with Kylo Ren. “All I can say is that I’m involved in it,” he has said. But Neal Scanlan, chief of creature and droid effects, told PEOPLE, “This character is much better executed as a CGI character. That’s just a practical reality when he’s 7-foot-something tall; he’s very, very thin.
they should fire serkis and cast kristaps porzingis da gawd 

^ :lol: KP :pimp:

Hopeful prediction? or can I read this somewhere?

hopeful prediction lol. I'd be satisfied if Rebels ended like that. Sad because of Ahsoka dying but satisfied nonetheless.
It sounds about right except Ezra not going for revenge after Vader kills Kanan would be hard to believe unless Kanan did a really good job teaching him patience and to not be vengeful.

He'd be in like his 40s or 50s by ep VII.

Last edited:
^ if Vader does show up i hope its only a cameo. i like that its sort off a heist movie in the Star Wars universe; Rebels vs. Bounty Hunters.

Last edited:
i would much rather see a vader movie than an han solo movie or fett movie

all they need is james earl jones and a tall guy in a suit and they have the exact same character as they did in 1980

i would much rather see a vader movie than an han solo movie or fett movie

all they need is james earl jones and a tall guy in a suit and they have the exact same character as they did in 1980
I'm actually looking forward to the fett movie. Wish I didn't have to wait until 2020 to see it but I'm excited to see what they do with it

I would give anything to see them go back and put prime Vader and prime Fett on the table. Even have Han in it to square off with Fett and just keep that part separate from Vader's story.

But in all honesty, there's a ton of stuff I wish they'd do that they'll probably never get around to.

Thrawn alone would destroy the box office if they would have given that trilogy a shot. :smh:

Poe wasn't there for long, but I really liked him.

I also dug the chemistry between Poe and Finn. Like I can see the actors kicking it off screen IRL lol

Poe wasn't there for long, but I really liked him.

I also dug the chemistry between Poe and Finn. Like I can see the actors kicking it off screen IRL lol
all the new actors seem to really work well with each other

kind of sad that rey and finn are only making low six figures in what will be the biggest movie ever

they are like steph and dray winning a championship on their rookie contracts 

both are great talents but they will never be a part of a project as big as these star wars movies. I hope they get paid by ep 8 and 9, but my guess is they are already under contract 

They most likely get pay increases after each movie.

Eventually they'll be the iconic names and stars and get paid 7 figures, albeit probably low 7 figures.

I dont feel that bad about the contracts, "You never get what you deserve in life, only what you have the leverage to negotiate"

Basically Boyega had Attack the Block under his belt and Ridley had nothing. Just like Steph had his ankles and Draymond had yet to prove himself.

They'll flourish in due time just like my squad though :pimp:

I'm hoping to see it again tomorrow, on a huge screen but in 2D. I'm curious what the crowd will be like during a Wednesday matinee showing but I really did love seeing it Friday night with a packed house.

They might have tried to get the applause going one too many times, but it was great hearing the crowd roar and cheer at the Falcon reveal, or the jokes, or when a beloved character popped up first. 

That quote don't really apply here :lol: Had they tried to negotiate for more, Disney would've just swerved on them with ease.

Last edited:
That quote don't really apply here :lol: Had they tried to negotiate for more, Disney would've just swerved on them with ease.

im sure if they had more films in their resume they could've finessed the Mouse for a bit more money. Wasn't Isaac about to walk away because Poe was supposed to die in the beginning? JJ couldve easily picked another actor for the role if Isaac walked, but he didnt.

*edit: nvm Isaac said he was hesitant, but never intended to turn down the role

via The Art of Star Wars: TFA book

:rofl:

View media item 1839686

Last edited:
i hope we get Y and B wings in the next movie 

would have been cool to see snow speeders in the final battle on starkiller base 

even though I have no complaints at all with ep 8 dropping half a year early

it would be dope if they made new starwars movies into a christmas tradition 

Back
Top Bottom