So I Just sent my Calc professor an... interesting... email. What y'all think?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by BK201

So did you send it?

Why not have one of us send it as a "Parent of one of the students."

Someone drafts it, and I will send it to him if you give me the address.

You don't need your blood on it, you have to see him every day.
You serious?
laugh.gif
I am dead serious. I am sure that would have put OP in a better situation that he currently is in. What is the worse that could happen in MY situation? The teacher is aware of his deficiencies? Writing an anonymous email to the teacher doesn't hurt any specific student like the current situation did.
It's college, you handle things on your own.. this email coming from a parent would be absurd. 
This email seems like a bad idea though - everyone's had bad profs, this isn't the way to handle it.You can't expect the prof to do everything either, much of college is independent studying 

Originally Posted by BK201

So did you send it?

Why not have one of us send it as a "Parent of one of the students."

Someone drafts it, and I will send it to him if you give me the address.

You don't need your blood on it, you have to see him every day.
You serious?
laugh.gif
I am dead serious. I am sure that would have put OP in a better situation that he currently is in. What is the worse that could happen in MY situation? The teacher is aware of his deficiencies? Writing an anonymous email to the teacher doesn't hurt any specific student like the current situation did.
It's college, you handle things on your own.. this email coming from a parent would be absurd. 
This email seems like a bad idea though - everyone's had bad profs, this isn't the way to handle it.You can't expect the prof to do everything either, much of college is independent studying 

That email is so poorly written he's just gonna laugh at you (too much passive tense, several grammatical errors).
You cant expect to taken be seriously with this approach.

Just study harder and stop being a +$#%@!
roll.gif

That email is so poorly written he's just gonna laugh at you (too much passive tense, several grammatical errors).
You cant expect to taken be seriously with this approach.

Just study harder and stop being a +$#%@!
roll.gif

Originally Posted by jhobson5

I hate to be blunt but...Sometimes colleges put the worst teachers in pre-req classes before your major in order to "weed" kids out(I am was a Mechanical Engineering student so i know all about Calc). Writing an email probably wont do you much good, sometimes you need to take it upon yourself and learn the material. Yes its your teacher and they are there to facilitate your learning, but its on you to really figure out the material. If anything he was doing you a favor about telling you whats not on the exam. I am sorry but I cant sympathize with you, because my Calc 1 teacher barely spoke English and straight copied word for word out of the book everyday, so I took it upon myself to actually do the assigned homework(that was optional), and force myself to learn it. Got an "A". So stop blaming your professor take it upon yourself to learn the material.

This is ******ed, schools dont want to weed out kids, they LOSE money if they do. Some professors just suck, new advanced material is hard for new students etc etc. Schools will never try to shrink any class size ever.

I hate to be blunt but...Sometimes colleges put the worst teachers in pre-req classes before your major in order to "weed" kids out(I am was a Mechanical Engineering student so i know all about Calc). Writing an email probably wont do you much good, sometimes you need to take it upon yourself and learn the material. Yes its your teacher and they are there to facilitate your learning, but its on you to really figure out the material. If anything he was doing you a favor about telling you whats not on the exam. I am sorry but I cant sympathize with you, because my Calc 1 teacher barely spoke English and straight copied word for word out of the book everyday, so I took it upon myself to actually do the assigned homework(that was optional), and force myself to learn it. Got an "A". So stop blaming your professor take it upon yourself to learn the material.

This is ******ed, schools dont want to weed out kids, they LOSE money if they do. Some professors just suck, new advanced material is hard for new students etc etc. Schools will never try to shrink any class size ever.

Originally Posted by jordanhendrix

This is ******ed, schools dont want to weed out kids, they LOSE money if they do

That is false. There are classes specifically set up to weed kids out. They dont lose money when there is another student in line to take that kids spot.

This is ******ed, schools dont want to weed out kids, they LOSE money if they do

That is false. There are classes specifically set up to weed kids out. They dont lose money when there is another student in line to take that kids spot.

^^^ Wrong that kid just picks a diff major, a couple weed out classes dont knock kids out of a school
Trust...they dont want you to leave the school and a weed out class wont do that.
Schools are money makers, no weed out policy exists, even unofficially.

Some kids cant hack it in calc and it become a weed out conspiracy? It goes against the model of a school....just look at law schools, they growing like crazy, no one ever flunks out unless they dont go to class at all.

Seriously tell me why they would do it?

^^^ Wrong that kid just picks a diff major, a couple weed out classes dont knock kids out of a school
Trust...they dont want you to leave the school and a weed out class wont do that.
Schools are money makers, no weed out policy exists, even unofficially.

Some kids cant hack it in calc and it become a weed out conspiracy? It goes against the model of a school....just look at law schools, they growing like crazy, no one ever flunks out unless they dont go to class at all.

Seriously tell me why they would do it?

repeat any weed out is major specific, schools admit students with the hopes of them graduating not dropping out.
If you think otherwise you are completely wrong

repeat any weed out is major specific, schools admit students with the hopes of them graduating not dropping out.
If you think otherwise you are completely wrong

Trelvis Tha Thrilla wrote:

^^^^Not when you go to lets say an Engineering School or something along those terms. Weed out classes are easy "The tough will survive and the weak will struggle". An Engineering college such as I went to is cut throat, because if you make it out of there your salary is well deserved. In my case, If I tell an employer where I went to college its "Wow how did your survive that, I hear a lot of kids drop out because its so hard", My first two years were tough (the weed out years), I saw a lot and I mean a lot of kids transfer and drop out. But once you get into your major your professors are very knowledgeable about subjects and arent there teaching over a 100 kids per class session. You have to be crazy to think that there is no "weed" out classes.

^^^^Not when you go to lets say an Engineering School or something along those terms. Weed out classes are easy "The tough will survive and the weak will struggle". An Engineering college such as I went to is cut throat, because if you make it out of there your salary is well deserved. In my case, If I tell an employer where I went to college its "Wow how did your survive that, I hear a lot of kids drop out because its so hard", My first two years were tough (the weed out years), I saw a lot and I mean a lot of kids transfer and drop out. But once you get into your major your professors are very knowledgeable about subjects and arent there teaching over a 100 kids per class session. You have to be crazy to think that there is no "weed" out classes.

So you went to a tough school for the first time to study a very hard major that is known to be tough. The first few classes were hard (then it got easier) so they MUST be weed out classes? Thats a tough major and good job! But to say that the classes are purposefully hard to knock kids out is illogical. There is no basis for that other than hearsay and rumors.
You do agree that no school will tell you its a weed out class right? New things are hard for people, some can handle engineering some cant...you saw that with your own eyes. It doesnt mean the school has it set up for some to fail on purpose...thats against their model. 

I agree that there are some classes that serve as weed out classes, but its not the schools doing, the nature of elite educational fields such as engineering are fundamentally Darwinian. Some can hack it some cant!

So you went to a tough school for the first time to study a very hard major that is known to be tough. The first few classes were hard (then it got easier) so they MUST be weed out classes? Thats a tough major and good job! But to say that the classes are purposefully hard to knock kids out is illogical. There is no basis for that other than hearsay and rumors.
You do agree that no school will tell you its a weed out class right? New things are hard for people, some can handle engineering some cant...you saw that with your own eyes. It doesnt mean the school has it set up for some to fail on purpose...thats against their model. 

I agree that there are some classes that serve as weed out classes, but its not the schools doing, the nature of elite educational fields such as engineering are fundamentally Darwinian. Some can hack it some cant!

jhobson5 wrote:

I agree that there are some classes that serve as weed out classes, but its not a schools doing, its the nature of education.

Ill make this point and we can agree to disagree. Some schools not just mine require their students to get a certain grade in pre-req classes before they can go on to the next class in the pre-req sequence. For example my school you had to pass Chem I, Physics I&II, Calc I\II\ and III, Environmental Science, Statics and a few others I cant think of with a "C" or better. If you didnt you would have to take the class again. And ill personally say they try to really make these classes difficult so that people cant just "slide" by and cheat their way thru it would have been impossible to cheat in these classes. And lots of my friends had to take classes over and some quite because it was too hard. 

This clearly shows the underlying principal...Weed out classes  

jhobson5 wrote:

I agree that there are some classes that serve as weed out classes, but its not a schools doing, its the nature of education.

Ill make this point and we can agree to disagree. Some schools not just mine require their students to get a certain grade in pre-req classes before they can go on to the next class in the pre-req sequence. For example my school you had to pass Chem I, Physics I&II, Calc I\II\ and III, Environmental Science, Statics and a few others I cant think of with a "C" or better. If you didnt you would have to take the class again. And ill personally say they try to really make these classes difficult so that people cant just "slide" by and cheat their way thru it would have been impossible to cheat in these classes. And lots of my friends had to take classes over and some quite because it was too hard. 

jhobson5 wrote:
jordanhendrix wrote:
jhobson5 wrote:

or it just means its a hard major... their aren't weed out courses for history.
of course you need a certain grade for a pre req to move on but that doesnt make it a weed out class.

The underlying principle (NOT PrinciPAL) isnt clear at all. You coud say that those classes are hard because they are new to people. Why should people who cant pass move on to the next class? Again it doesnt mean a class is set up up solely to eliminate as many people as possible.
Can you agree with me that engineering is hard and it takes a smart person who works hard to move to next level ?

When people get knocked out it doesnt necessarily mean the school has some master plan to flunk the dummies. Weed out classes are an excuse. One you didn't accept yourself.

Look you get a lot of credit for graduating and congrats on surviving an elite major that most cant handle. Its just a hard major not some death gauntlet that is set up by the school.

Back
Top Bottom