So I Just sent my Calc professor an... interesting... email. What y'all think?

equal testing has no basis in your argument that weed out classes are school sourced. Could it be that common hours tests are hard because the material is difficult? How can you just blindly jump over that fact. You call it a weed out class thats fine, but no school
Stop reaching dude, you said there were two degrees at your school not me.
Your words:
I went to an all Engineering School all we had was Engineering majors and an Econ degree.
Mech Eng, and Civil eng are still engineering degrees right?
At the end of the day all your points are speculation. Some majors are hard, those majors are hard from the beginning 101 classes, not everyone makes it through. The school wants all of you to pass on your merit, if you cant your out. Its not the schools master plan. THATS ALL IM TRYING TO SAY.
Not that hard to follow over here. Schools are in the business of graduating kids not eliminating slackers. Are some classes harder than others, YES! "Weed out class" is a term students made up.
Jeez

equal testing has no basis in your argument that weed out classes are school sourced. Could it be that common hours tests are hard because the material is difficult? How can you just blindly jump over that fact. You call it a weed out class thats fine, but no school
Stop reaching dude, you said there were two degrees at your school not me.
Your words:
I went to an all Engineering School all we had was Engineering majors and an Econ degree.
Mech Eng, and Civil eng are still engineering degrees right?
At the end of the day all your points are speculation. Some majors are hard, those majors are hard from the beginning 101 classes, not everyone makes it through. The school wants all of you to pass on your merit, if you cant your out. Its not the schools master plan. THATS ALL IM TRYING TO SAY.
Not that hard to follow over here. Schools are in the business of graduating kids not eliminating slackers. Are some classes harder than others, YES! "Weed out class" is a term students made up.
Jeez

Man I am entitled to my opinion and you are to yours. I know what I lived through and what numerous professors told me. But my thing if every school wanted people to graduate everyone like your post are saying, then what would make a university better then the next one. Harvard could accept a straight dummy who got lucky on their SAT and essay but when it comes down to it isnt "Harvard Material", how would it look if a great college like Harvard didnt eliminate the slackers and didnt try to weed the fakes out and graduated straight slacker kids. The university would lose credit! I feel many college do have the weed out system to uphold their reputations as great colleges. Like I said this is my opinion my friend. No one is reaching just what I see and what I been through. Was your college experience different then mine?

Man I am entitled to my opinion and you are to yours. I know what I lived through and what numerous professors told me. But my thing if every school wanted people to graduate everyone like your post are saying, then what would make a university better then the next one. Harvard could accept a straight dummy who got lucky on their SAT and essay but when it comes down to it isnt "Harvard Material", how would it look if a great college like Harvard didnt eliminate the slackers and didnt try to weed the fakes out and graduated straight slacker kids. The university would lose credit! I feel many college do have the weed out system to uphold their reputations as great colleges. Like I said this is my opinion my friend. No one is reaching just what I see and what I been through. Was your college experience different then mine?

for the record, and a second time, schools, specifically large, good schools, do infact "weed" people out

look at incoming freshman classes then look at sophmore classes

hell, im sure you could look at the numbers by quarter or semester...

i went to The Ohio State University, which is a top 3 school in terms of size...

and they certainly weed people out.

for the record, and a second time, schools, specifically large, good schools, do infact "weed" people out

i went to The Ohio State University, which is a top 3 school in terms of size...

there you go you hit it on the head....the weed out process is in the application...
your opinion is simply based on the rumor mill. At the end of the day my opinion is just an easily drawn conclusion.
I will concede that you could be right, however that implies a long standing unofficial policy of turning a blind eye to a kid that cant pass one or two hard introductory classes, which certainly doesn't happen at harvard....look up the drop out rate there, while you're googling for your next response. Whether or not the kid stays or goes has no bearing on the fact that a school will never admit to a weed out policy. Your argument is based on opinions which have been formed at a tough engineering school. Its easy to see why you think weed out classes are real. Could yo be wrong though? And by wrong I simply mean that the school itself doesnt develop a weed out curriculum?

You may be right but you see how its goes against the schools business model ONCE a student has been admitted. Schools dont have "up or out" policies like investment banks. People do graduate with 2.0 GPA's dont they?

there you go you hit it on the head....the weed out process is in the application...
your opinion is simply based on the rumor mill. At the end of the day my opinion is just an easily drawn conclusion.
I will concede that you could be right, however that implies a long standing unofficial policy of turning a blind eye to a kid that cant pass one or two hard introductory classes, which certainly doesn't happen at harvard....look up the drop out rate there, while you're googling for your next response. Whether or not the kid stays or goes has no bearing on the fact that a school will never admit to a weed out policy. Your argument is based on opinions which have been formed at a tough engineering school. Its easy to see why you think weed out classes are real. Could yo be wrong though? And by wrong I simply mean that the school itself doesnt develop a weed out curriculum?

You may be right but you see how its goes against the schools business model ONCE a student has been admitted. Schools dont have "up or out" policies like investment banks. People do graduate with 2.0 GPA's dont they?

You are saying there is no official weed out classes. I agree. But I feel some classes are simply more difficult to separate a good student from your elite students. Meaning who has the ability to think complexly and not need someone to spell it out for them.

Furthermore, this was all my experience. I cant say how it was for anyone else. I have heard but never formally seen it for myself.

And I know you can graduate with a 2.0 GPA, but to be honest I had friends with 2.0 GPAs who were brilliant but just hated homework. Now they are very successful Engineers.

You are saying there is no official weed out classes. I agree. But I feel some classes are simply more difficult to separate a good student from your elite students. Meaning who has the ability to think complexly and not need someone to spell it out for them.

Furthermore, this was all my experience. I cant say how it was for anyone else. I have heard but never formally seen it for myself.

And I know you can graduate with a 2.0 GPA, but to be honest I had friends with 2.0 GPAs who were brilliant but just hated homework. Now they are very successful Engineers.

Originally Posted by LarryDavidSwag

those people weed themselves out, you have it backwards, OSU doesnt want students to bounce period.
And where do have this "for the record".....source please....
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by LarryDavidSwag

those people weed themselves out, you have it backwards, OSU doesnt want students to bounce period.
And where do have this "for the record".....source please....
eyes.gif

Jhobson,
I was pre med and was admitted to med school. I know all about people crying about weed out classes. Seems to always be the lazy ones who dont want it enough.

Further more to larry david up there....just cause freshman dont make it to the next class at OSU doesnt mean its due to weed out classes....majors arent usually established at that point in ones college career, you'd still have general studies at that point. If you cant handle some 101 classes college aint for you, doesnt mean the school has some master plan to eliminate all dummies.

We are all entitled to out opinions, but those opinions should be grounded in facts....until a school make a weed out policy explicit, its all hearsay, end of story.

Jhobson,
I was pre med and was admitted to med school. I know all about people crying about weed out classes. Seems to always be the lazy ones who dont want it enough.

Further more to larry david up there....just cause freshman dont make it to the next class at OSU doesnt mean its due to weed out classes....majors arent usually established at that point in ones college career, you'd still have general studies at that point. If you cant handle some 101 classes college aint for you, doesnt mean the school has some master plan to eliminate all dummies.

We are all entitled to out opinions, but those opinions should be grounded in facts....until a school make a weed out policy explicit, its all hearsay, end of story.

While all I've read are the first and last pg .. OP you need to start wrapping your head around the idea that college is not there to truly "teach" you anything, this is a lesson you should've learned in HS. You're suppose to learn all the material on your own and college professors are merely there to test your knowledge and aide in your understanding of the material.

What you need to figure out is how best to use your professor in aiding your learning style ....

While all I've read are the first and last pg .. OP you need to start wrapping your head around the idea that college is not there to truly "teach" you anything, this is a lesson you should've learned in HS. You're suppose to learn all the material on your own and college professors are merely there to test your knowledge and aide in your understanding of the material.

What you need to figure out is how best to use your professor in aiding your learning style ....

Mines is a great school. Anyone that wants to be an engineer in Colorado has some connection to that school.

Back
Top Bottom