So I Just sent my Calc professor an... interesting... email. What y'all think?

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

30t6p3b.gif
  who did you talk to first ? LeBrons management team?

167mrrd.gif

No, but I had already planned on meeting with him in person after the exam to discuss it. I sent him a follow-up e-mail saying that I'd be more than happy to talk with him after the exam and discuss it. 
You sent another e-mail after this one without even getting a response to the first one? That just makes it seem as if you knew the original e-mail was inappropriate after sending it and are now trying to do what you should have done in the first place which is discuss this in person. There is a much greater chance of a professor reasoning with you if it's in person as opposed to an e-mail.

The email is fine. One thing most students forget about during the time they are in school is the fact that THEY are paying for it. You are the CUSTOMER. 
If you are having problems with the service you are getting its up to you to voice that concern. Professors so easily

allow themselves to fall into more of an authoritative role than necessary. And the students usually help with that. 

Of course they deserver every bit of respect you give them BUT there is nothing wrong with questioning them.

The email is fine. One thing most students forget about during the time they are in school is the fact that THEY are paying for it. You are the CUSTOMER. 
If you are having problems with the service you are getting its up to you to voice that concern. Professors so easily

allow themselves to fall into more of an authoritative role than necessary. And the students usually help with that. 

Of course they deserver every bit of respect you give them BUT there is nothing wrong with questioning them.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

the only thing you did wrong was that you didn't put "please respond" at the end of the letter.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif

No, but I had already planned on meeting with him in person after the exam to discuss it. I sent him a follow-up e-mail saying that I'd be more than happy to talk with him after the exam and discuss it. 
Oh now you see that the email was a bad move. Cool.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dwizard23

The email is fine.
laugh.gif
I wish you all would stop telling this man that. The email is no where near fine.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

the only thing you did wrong was that you didn't put "please respond" at the end of the letter.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Oh now you see that the email was a bad move. Cool.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dwizard23

The email is fine.
laugh.gif
I wish you all would stop telling this man that. The email is no where near fine.

I can assure you, I had a worse teacher. My calc. teacher in HS was this flamboyant Colombian dude. He would come into class everyday and say, "ToDAY is thaay most important dey in all of CalcULus." (the capital letters are to accentuate his accent) He was a terrible teacher and taught us by using Beyonce references, when a parabola or any graph went to the left, he would break into song with Beyonce's "To the left," in a strong Colombian accent. People literally passed tests and got credit for homework by drawing nice doodles on their work. I remember once, this girl that sat next to me did like 1-2 lines of work for all the homework problems, but doodled all over it, drawing cute little animals and writing I <3 Calculus everywhere. I attempted all the problems, and had solutions, although they were mostly incorrect. She got full-credit and I got a D. Yes I was mad.

Didn't mean to threadjack though, I would be
mad.gif
if I had your teacher. I would be furious with dude.

I can assure you, I had a worse teacher. My calc. teacher in HS was this flamboyant Colombian dude. He would come into class everyday and say, "ToDAY is thaay most important dey in all of CalcULus." (the capital letters are to accentuate his accent) He was a terrible teacher and taught us by using Beyonce references, when a parabola or any graph went to the left, he would break into song with Beyonce's "To the left," in a strong Colombian accent. People literally passed tests and got credit for homework by drawing nice doodles on their work. I remember once, this girl that sat next to me did like 1-2 lines of work for all the homework problems, but doodled all over it, drawing cute little animals and writing I <3 Calculus everywhere. I attempted all the problems, and had solutions, although they were mostly incorrect. She got full-credit and I got a D. Yes I was mad.

Didn't mean to threadjack though, I would be
mad.gif
if I had your teacher. I would be furious with dude.

I hate to be blunt but...Sometimes colleges put the worst teachers in pre-req classes before your major in order to "weed" kids out(I am was a Mechanical Engineering student so i know all about Calc). Writing an email probably wont do you much good, sometimes you need to take it upon yourself and learn the material. Yes its your teacher and they are there to facilitate your learning, but its on you to really figure out the material. If anything he was doing you a favor about telling you whats not on the exam. I am sorry but I cant sympathize with you, because my Calc 1 teacher barely spoke English and straight copied word for word out of the book everyday, so I took it upon myself to actually do the assigned homework(that was optional), and force myself to learn it. Got an "A". So stop blaming your professor take it upon yourself to learn the material.

I hate to be blunt but...Sometimes colleges put the worst teachers in pre-req classes before your major in order to "weed" kids out(I am was a Mechanical Engineering student so i know all about Calc). Writing an email probably wont do you much good, sometimes you need to take it upon yourself and learn the material. Yes its your teacher and they are there to facilitate your learning, but its on you to really figure out the material. If anything he was doing you a favor about telling you whats not on the exam. I am sorry but I cant sympathize with you, because my Calc 1 teacher barely spoke English and straight copied word for word out of the book everyday, so I took it upon myself to actually do the assigned homework(that was optional), and force myself to learn it. Got an "A". So stop blaming your professor take it upon yourself to learn the material.

see, whenever i had professors on that @%%!#+$#, i just dropped their class immediately.

if professors have low classe enrollment or a high-withdrawl rate for consecutive quarters

that's all bad for them.

i remember i came to class like 2 mins late...

as soon as i step in, quietly, a girl in the back of the class whispers 'say here'

i look up and see dude doing the attendence, so im like "HERE!"

everyone in the class chuckled, apparently, i walked in after he called my name, while he was waiting for a response...

i guess that pissed ole boy off, cause he went into a tirade, that literally reminded me of hardass middle school teachers, whom i also used to laugh at while they turned red, yelling...

he goes into "oh, you're disrupting my class" and "how dare you" and "this isnt high school"

and thats when i cut him off

i go

"YOU RIGHT, ITS NOT HIGH SCHOOL, SO YOU CAN SHUT THE %*!# UP, SIT YOUR %@!@!@%! DOWN, AND TEACH THESE *pointing* ADULTS THAT ARE TAKING YOUR CLASS, NERD"

then i proceded to walk DOWNSTAIRS into the registar's office and withdraw from his class.

you got me entirely $@@@+$ up if you think you mean #@#$ to me.

a letter, in my opinion, is doing entirely too much....

i just diss and drop them %@!@!@%! dudes.

(that was the only time i made a scene in college, and i later regretted it, because i reinforced negative stereotypes those white kids had about me and mines, but youve got me $@@@+$ up)

see, whenever i had professors on that @%%!#+$#, i just dropped their class immediately.

if professors have low classe enrollment or a high-withdrawl rate for consecutive quarters

that's all bad for them.

i remember i came to class like 2 mins late...

as soon as i step in, quietly, a girl in the back of the class whispers 'say here'

i look up and see dude doing the attendence, so im like "HERE!"

everyone in the class chuckled, apparently, i walked in after he called my name, while he was waiting for a response...

i guess that pissed ole boy off, cause he went into a tirade, that literally reminded me of hardass middle school teachers, whom i also used to laugh at while they turned red, yelling...

he goes into "oh, you're disrupting my class" and "how dare you" and "this isnt high school"

and thats when i cut him off

i go

"YOU RIGHT, ITS NOT HIGH SCHOOL, SO YOU CAN SHUT THE %*!# UP, SIT YOUR %@!@!@%! DOWN, AND TEACH THESE *pointing* ADULTS THAT ARE TAKING YOUR CLASS, NERD"

then i proceded to walk DOWNSTAIRS into the registar's office and withdraw from his class.

you got me entirely $@@@+$ up if you think you mean #@#$ to me.

a letter, in my opinion, is doing entirely too much....

i just diss and drop them %@!@!@%! dudes.

(that was the only time i made a scene in college, and i later regretted it, because i reinforced negative stereotypes those white kids had about me and mines, but youve got me $@@@+$ up)

just because you tell someone you're not trying to insult them, doesn't mean you aren't insulting them.

example: i'm not racist but, (insert racist statement)

you're teacher isn't gonna read that email and say "that's the most insulting email i've ever read! oh wait, he wasn't trying to insult me. its all good now.

in a nutshell, RIP to your grade OP

just because you tell someone you're not trying to insult them, doesn't mean you aren't insulting them.

example: i'm not racist but, (insert racist statement)

you're teacher isn't gonna read that email and say "that's the most insulting email i've ever read! oh wait, he wasn't trying to insult me. its all good now.

in a nutshell, RIP to your grade OP

Man I try by all means to avoid professors that just give 3 grades. But this situation is unfortunate.

Good luck OP

Man I try by all means to avoid professors that just give 3 grades. But this situation is unfortunate.

Good luck OP

Back
Top Bottom