Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Barons, Thunder among 6 nicknames league seeks for OKC

Associated Press

Updated: July 25, 2008, 7:03 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The NBA has filed for trademark rights to six nicknames for the league's new Oklahoma City franchise: Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind.

An attorney for the league made the filing Monday with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Marshal is usually spelled with one l. It's not clear why the league used a variant spelling.

The filing is listed on the patent office's Web site.

The NBA and the team have refused to discuss possible new names for the team formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics ahead of an official announcement, which has not yet been scheduled.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Kupchak: "We're also looking at other scenarios just in case." That would mean the Lakers are looking to acquire another shooter via trade or by free agency, something they are seriously looking into by working out two players today. Press-Enterprise

right
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Lakers keep Sasha in L.A.

03:45 PM PDT on Friday, July 25, 2008

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

After some tense negotiations, the Lakers and restricted free agent guard Sasha Vujacic agreed to a deal Friday afternoon.

Vujacic agreed to a three-year, $15 million deal, according to sources close to the player.

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_web_sasha_signs.2ecdf99.html

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
I wonder how much came out of Kupchak's pocket?
laugh.gif

[h2]Warriors Sign Monta To 6 Year Deal[/h2]
Ellis_Monta_gsw_080404.jpg

Jul 24, 2008 10:14 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
The Golden State Warriors havere-signed guard Monta Ellis to a multi-year contract, announced today by Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Mullin. Per team policy, termsof the agreement were not announced.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Ellis' contract is expected to be in the 6-year, $66 million neighborhood.

"We are absolutely thrilled to have Monta under contract for the next several years," said Mullin. "He has been one of the top young playersin the NBA for the last two years and enjoyed a tremendous season last year. The growth that he has demonstrated at such a young age is incredible, and we lookforward to him playing a big part in our future success."

Ellis, 22, averaged a career-high 20.2 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists, and 1.53 steals in 37.9 minutes in 81 games last season. He ranked 14th in the NBAin field goal percentage (.531, 3rd among all guards), 15th in steals, and 25th in scoring. He became only the ninth guard in NBA history to shoot 60% from thefloor for an entire month in February (.602). The 6'3" Ellis scored a career-high 39 points on January 24 vs. New Jersey and scored 30-plus points on12 occasions overall.

Originally selected (out of high school) in the second round of the 2005 NBA Draft by Golden State (#40 overall), Ellis was named the NBA's MostImproved Player following the 2006-07 campaign, when his scoring average increased by nearly 10 points per game from the previous season (6.8 to 16.5). TheJackson, Mississippi native has averaged 15.7 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 3.4 assists overall in 207 NBA games during his three-year career. Additionally, hisfield goal percentage has increased by nearly 6% in each of his three campaigns (.415, .475, 531).

Via RealGM Staff Report

Golden State Warriors

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Jazz Match Offer For C.J. Miles[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 6:44 PM EST

uta_40.gif
The Jazz on Friday matched the offerC.J. Miles signed with Oklahoma City last week, as reported by Yahoo.com.

Terms were not disclosed, but sources indicated Miles inked a four-year, $15M deal with the former Sonics franchise.

Via yahoo.com

Utah Jazz, OklahomaCity

[h2]Olympiakos First Targeted Azubuike?[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 2:34 PM EST

gsw_40.gif
Before Josh Childress to hisunprecedented three-year, $20 million contract, the Greek club Olympiakos first targeted Warriors swingman Kelenna Azubuike.

Agent Michael Higgins said Olympiakos approached his client last year, and then returned two weeks ago at the summer league in Las Vegas with an offer toAzubuike of $5 million annually for three years.

"But that was the starting point,'' Higgins said. "We could have got the deal [that Childress received]. ... If I'd said $10 million[annually] for three years, they would have said yes. They wanted him. They said, 'What's it going to take? Give us a number.' ''

Azubuike is a D-League success story who went undrafted and making it in the NBA was a bigger priority than more money.

Via SI.com

Golden State Warriors, Euroleague Basketball

[h2]Blazers May HaveViolated Federal Regulations On Miles' Comments[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 2:29 PM EST

por_40.gif
A violation of federal regulations inregard to public comments about the medical condition of former player Darius Miles may have been committed by the Trail Blazers, specifically General ManagerKevin Pritchard.

Miles underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee and has not played since April 15, 2006. After a long rehabilitation period, the team first ruledhim unfit to play and then sought an independent physician's examination of the knee. That physician ruled Miles' injury was career ending - which wasimportant to the Blazers on two fronts that have to do with finances.

"Two doctors said Darius had the worst microfracture injury they had ever seen," Pritchard said on an Oregonlive.com blog this week. "Theywould never have him play basketball, and the odds of having knee replacement surgery is high. I hear that, and as a general manager, I didn't want it onmy conscience - that I had a kid have to go through a knee replacement surgery. That's a pretty major surgery. They saw (two bones) and replace (the knee).It's a bad deal."

Via Portland Tribune

Portland Trail Blazers

[h2]Smith Says LittleProgress Has Been Made With Contract Talks[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 12:52 PM EST

den_40.gif
J.R. Smith said Thursday there hasbeen little movement in contract negotiations, with the Nuggets or any other team.

"I really don't know what's going on. I haven't had a chance to sit down and talk with the front office yet," Smith said. "Idon't think anything will get messed up. That's the least of my worries."

Via Denver Post

Denver Nuggets

[h2]Garbajosa To Sign With Khimki Moscow[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 12:50 PM EST

euro_40.gif
Jorge Garbajosa, once an offseasoninterest of the Lakers, was prepared to sign a contract with Khimki Moscow, according to the Spanish-language website as.com.

Via Los Angeles Daily News

Euroleague Basketball, Toronto Raptors

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Landry Remains Patient[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 12:11 PM EST

hou_40.gif
Carl Landry's agent Buddy Bakersaid he could give any one of several NBA teams the go-ahead to present an offer, but Landry is weighing his options.

"We've had teams interested in what we think Carl's value is and saying what they think Carl's value is," Baker said. "We'rewaiting to finalize that. It's not, 'We'll give you this.' It's more, 'We're very interested, what are you thinking?'"

"If he wanted me to close deals, I could close it, yes. We're not going to rush through this process. We're going to go through this process,pursuing all of his options."

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

[h2]Bynum Extension Talks Paused UntilSeptember[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 11:39 AM EST

lal_40.gif
Andrew Bynum's agent David Leesaid that the discussions on a contract extension with the Lakers have been tabled until September.

"We aren't going to talk again until September until they have a chance to see what they're getting," Lee said. "But I don't haveany concerns about it."

Lee said that once negotiations begin, it was "very important" that the extension be completed by the time the season starts.

Via Los Angeles Daily News

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Biedrins Drawing SignificantInterest From Europe[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 11:37 AM EST

gsw_40.gif
A source close to Andris Biedrinssaid European teams are very interested in signing him.

The Golden State center is drawing strong interest in a of couple Russian clubs, according to the source, who added that teams are willing to sign him forthree to five years for what amounts to more than $10 million a year.

Via Inside Bay Area

Golden State Warriors

[h2]Dynamo Moscow Luring Delonte West?[/h2]
Jul 25, 2008 11:36 AM EST

cle_40.gif
Dynamo Moscow is discussing atwo-year, $10 million offer with Delonte West, a source close to West said on Thursday.

West was Cleveland's starting point guard after coming over in a three-way trade from Seattle.

Via Yahoo!

Cleveland Cavaliers, Euroleague Basketball

[h2][size=+2]Lakers keep Sasha inL.A.[/size][/h2]
After some tense negotiations, the Lakers and restricted free agent guard Sasha Vujacic agreed to a deal Friday afternoon, LakersGeneral Manager Mitch Kupchak confirmed.

The deal, according to sources close to the player, is for $15 million over three years.

The 6-foot-7 guard is scheduled to earn $5 million per season.

Even though it would never happen, European teams should offer their entire country in 3 years when Kobe becomes a free agent. He IS the best fit for anyinternational team. I think if this trend would've started a few years ago, he probably would've bolted during the time the rape charges were made.

cj freakin miles and azibuke get 15 mill deals and its fine but somebody that was actually on a team that went to the finals and contributed gets the same andpeople hate haha silly NT

Azubuike is making $3 million, I thought. And yeah, I don't know why people are laughing at the Sasha deal. We NEEDED that signing because our bench wouldhave been broken up otherwise. It's not like every other free agent isn't getting overpaid too.

As far as the nicknames go, I thought it was settled on Thunder. I like Bison, though, and Wind sounds like the worst one.

Nah man, OKC Marshalls ftw.

And Buike can create his own shot, and drive to the rim and can play some D. Considering Evans was getting paid $7.5 over 3 from Atl, Buike ended up being thebetter deal, IMO.

CJ Miles resigning doesn't make sense. That's gonna be like almost $20M a year for the Jazz, at the PG spot with Deron and CJ. CJ's played how manyyears, and doesn't even have 500 total career points scored. Is it because he's stuck behind Deron, Sloan's doghouse? Either way, might as wellhave gave Almond a shot and save yourself the money.

Sasha is a spot up 3 point shooter, and plays pesky in your face defense, for better or for worse, but that's just about. I can see why the Lakers lockedhim up because he was a key part of the bench last year and all, but, you can't feel confident about Sasha going forward at that price.

Dude might end up being Luke part 2.

Promising initially, but disappointment as time goes on.

My bad on the Azibuke junk i was watching the US game and halfway reading what Pac put up there it was some greek team offering him 3/15. As far as Miles goesthat means the Jazz will be stuck with somebody Sloan doesnt even want for more years he'll rot on the bench behind Deron, regardless im happy its a goodsigning a vital part to a YOUNG western conference champion team was re-signed haters can hate but next year The (atm)Machine will be locked n loaded and readyto destroy.

Sasha threatened em with the going overseas

laugh.gif
, still not a bad deal

Everyone is being forced to overpay this off season

Originally Posted by Enlightened Thought

Since the Lakers are over the cap, is this basically a $30M deal?

Somebody help me with the math.

Because they are over the THRESHOLD, not the cap. It's only double value for this year, unless we're over the threshold the next two years of thecontract as well.

Back
Top Bottom