Shoe Game is pretty much over for me now..

Understandable you feel an attachment to them but in all reality, it's boils down to them being mass produced sneakers intent for youth consumers. The consist "These teenagers ruining the game I been in since 1965, they have no respect for the old heads" is getting out of hand, they are sneakers one person buying a pair of sneakers for years is no more entitled to a pair then a high school/ middle school student who wants to impress his friends.

You make some points, but at the same time, there is a dichotomy of interests regarding sneakers that wasn't nearly as prevalent in the 80's, 90's, or even early 2000's. It's a reselling hobby now...with plenty of shady individuals manipulating the sneaker culture that a lot of "old heads" grew up on. Having said that, I don't feel "entitled" to any pair of sneakers...just the memory of having some of the OG's of the 90's growing up. My interest in sneakers is strong, but it's at least for the principle of appreciating the sneakers itself, not for "financial purposes" as it has blown up over the last few years with reselling.

..and lastly, I don't blame teenagers for ruining anything involving sneakers. I would actually blame these sneaker corporations for allowing these issues to exist. But I realize it's business, and these sneaker companies, Nike especially, are in it to attract as much attention as possible while purposely limiting shoes to the public. In todays day and age, a Nike Lebron "Cork" for example is valued automatically as high if not higher than some classic OG models from back in the day just because Nike throws the word "limited" out there with some strange concept. People such as myself are no longer the market Nike targets when it throws a limited release out every week....every week they want a prized shoe to perpetuate the hype they purposely create.....just sad for some us that actually grew up appreciating having just "one" shoe a year..let alone the amount of shoes people cop today.

Why does it matter if I'm still a teenager?

There are two era's when it comes to sneaker collecting.

Pre Internet 1980's - 2000

Post Internet 2001 - Present

Being a teenager still tells me you are complaining about nothing. This hobby has been a mess for a while. Most of you kids complaining now only notice now cuz you just started collecting in the 2nd era. I quit buying into the retro hype back in 2003 for good and have not looked back.

This is not the same hobby that I was involved with for 20+ years. This is the "shoe game".

Last edited:
There are two era's when it comes to sneaker collecting.

Post Internet 2001 - Present

Being a teenager still tells me you are complaining about nothing. This hobby has been a mess for a while. Most of you kids complaining now only notice now cuz you just started collecting in the 2nd era. I quit buying into the retro hype back in 2003 for good and have not looked back.

This is not the same hobby that I was involved with for 20+ years. This is the "shoe game".
At the end of the day its all about buying sneakers. Your time periods are off too, because your singling out the majority of NT and that includes OGS into the post internet phase

At the end of the day its all about buying sneakers. Your time periods are off too, because your singling out the majority of NT and that includes OGS into the post internet phase

I was talking about collecting dates not when they were born. 

Sneakers got old for me quick. On to derbies, desert boots, cap toes, brogues now...

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy Jordans or Foamposites anymore even if I didn't have to camp out or stalk them online.

Jordans and Foamposites had their day, and for me being 32 years old that day is over. 

I would rather buy something new that is cutting edge TODAY like the Revis's, Flyknits, or Kobe's

You make some points, but at the same time, there is a dichotomy of interests regarding sneakers that wasn't nearly as prevalent in the 80's, 90's, or even early 2000's. It's a reselling hobby now...with plenty of shady individuals manipulating the sneaker culture that a lot of "old heads" grew up on. Having said that, I don't feel "entitled" to any pair of sneakers...just the memory of having some of the OG's of the 90's growing up. My interest in sneakers is strong, but it's at least for the principle of appreciating the sneakers itself, not for "financial purposes" as it has blown up over the last few years with reselling.

..and lastly, I don't blame teenagers for ruining anything involving sneakers. I would actually blame these sneaker corporations for allowing these issues to exist. But I realize it's business, and these sneaker companies, Nike especially, are in it to attract as much attention as possible while purposely limiting shoes to the public. In todays day and age, a Nike Lebron "Cork" for example is valued automatically as high if not higher than some classic OG models from back in the day just because Nike throws the word "limited" out there with some strange concept. People such as myself are no longer the market Nike targets when it throws a limited release out every week....every week they want a prized shoe to perpetuate the hype they purposely create.....just sad for some us that actually grew up appreciating having just "one" shoe a year..let alone the amount of shoes people cop today.

This post needs to be stickied - perfectly describes what's become of the sneaker hobby.

I wouldn't buy Jordans or Foamposites anymore even if I didn't have to camp out or stalk them online.

Jordans and Foamposites had their day, and for me being 32 years old that day is over. 

I would rather buy something new that is cutting edge TODAY like the Revis's, Flyknits, or Kobe's

Man I'm 30 and the polar opposite. All I want is the old stuff.

Those Revis's are nice doe.

(RANT)

Don't know if anybody is felling the same. But, I just don't feel the same about J's or the hottest release. But it's more of the newer generation of so called "sneaker-heads" that just ruin it for me. Trying to get their grubby hands on any release and think they're cool or whatever. Last pair I got were the BRed 11s, and the camping was ridiculous. Barely got my pair. So many kids don't even know what they're talking about when it comes to shoes
mean.gif
. Comment your thoughts..
Js are ruined for me right now itll die down tho

It's out of hand man and there's really no stopping it.

You got cats on here throwing 2 bills+ at certain colorways of Roshe's :rofl:

No me gusta.

It's out of hand man and there's really no stopping it.

You got cats on here throwing 2 bills+ at certain colorways of Roshe's :rofl:

No me gusta.

$200 on Roshe's ? :wow:, that ish crazy. Things are def out of hand

even though threads like this keep popping up every so often, I enjoy reading everyone's input.

I feel you bro. I have a closet full of jays that I don't even wear no more and just look at it like a waste of money. Once you have it, you loose interest. I guess that goes for most things in life.

Sold a third of my shoes and I don't regret any of them.

I will still continue to wear my shoes that I still own. Got other responsibilities to take care of :smile:

You made 100 bucks, that's chump change to be honest. Reselling shoes is a waste of time unless you're selling something special (corks for example, SB's, ect) or doing it in large quantities.

J's are 160 + tax, so lets say 180 in all. People sell them for 240ish. After eBay fees, PayPal fees, shipping, time, gas, you end up with 20 bucks...... Wow, 20 bucks. Kids don't see it that way though. The math must be complicated for them
Truth right here

shoe game will never be over. everyone needs shoes to wear. and why is this called shoe game you play a game to get shoes lol

I took on a job last year and it had a pay cut, which sucks but my new job is great and a solid starting place in my field

anywho, that made it easier to stop collecting shoes. but this whole experience has given me perspective. once your not in it you see how ridiculous your fellow loyal customers look. the invidious consumption, the insecure buyers who only dress the way they're told, the absolutely idiotic posers who tweet and instagram photos of the shoes in odd scenery like these....

900x900px-LL-1a5128a0_A-vvhT_CUAAg8P1.jpeg

https://statich.niketalk.com/5/56/200x200px-ZC-562059cc_photo2B3.jpeg[img]

all in all though the truth is i got older, and shoes just don't hold the same importance they once did

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom