Shoe Game is pretty much over for me now..

People post this all the time, but the sneaker community just keeps growing and growing.

I hate people who wear jordans now but just last year probably wearing chucks and before that vans.
Can some lame bay area group come and diss jordans so theyll be uncool in the public eyes so I dont have to struggle to get a goddamn pair
What's wrong with vans and chucks tho? Got a couple pair of each for beaters, they're tanks

So do you want to call jerry seinfeld a hypebeast for wearing jordans too? :Rollin man just wear what you like, race doesn't determine taste in clothing

Does that make it right saying that one race shouldn't buy nikes and jordans?
You really don't get my point at all. 

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't wear what they want.  I'm saying historically once teenage white kids that don't have a connection to the trend take it from niche to mainstream.  Once you leverage white parents and teens spending power it takes away somewhat.  I mean a 16 yo white girl on FB made a "RIP Biggie" post and I'm like, yaaaa you musta really connected with the BIG... 

That's what I mean.  It's not that I'm being racist saying 'white people ruin everything' but look at any trend.  And it doesn't have to be white so I'll concede that.  But factually speaking with a heavy white majority in this country when something becomes mainstream it means that people who wouldn't normally have exposure to the trend latch onto it, which is invariably white cuz that's the most people.  

Another example, Doc Martens.  When I was in HS (90s) there were a handful of kids who rocked Docs.  But over the course of the  next 5 years they started selling 'em everywhere and everyone started wearin 'em.  Anytime something I love is latched onto by someone lacking substance and weight of character, it can make it harder to love that thing the way you did before. 

I think I just have to accept I'm making too nuanced of a point for ya'll.

they're just fashion accessories, chill out.

even when just "DA HOOD" had it, it was just to look fly. can't be upset that even more people are doing THE SAME THING now.

Does that make it right saying that one race shouldn't buy nikes and jordans?
You really don't get my point at all. 

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't wear what they want.  I'm saying historically once teenage white kids that don't have a connection to the trend take it from niche to mainstream.  Once you leverage white parents and teens spending power it takes away somewhat.  I mean a 16 yo white girl on FB made a "RIP Biggie" post and I'm like, yaaaa you musta really connected with the BIG... 

That's what I mean.  It's not that I'm being racist saying 'white people ruin everything' but look at any trend.  And it doesn't have to be white so I'll concede that.  But factually speaking with a heavy white majority in this country when something becomes mainstream it means that people who wouldn't normally have exposure to the trend latch onto it, which is invariably white cuz that's the most people.  

Another example, Doc Martens.  When I was in HS (90s) there were a handful of kids who rocked Docs.  But over the course of the  next 5 years they started selling 'em everywhere and everyone started wearin 'em.  Anytime something I love is latched onto by someone lacking substance and weight of character, it can make it harder to love that thing the way you did before. 

I think I just have to accept I'm making too nuanced of a point for ya'll.
White teenagers not having a connection to the trend? Since when? Facebook, twitter, instagram, myspace all connect the cultures of the world so anybody with an internet connection and 5th grade reading comprehension could have a connection to any trend. So what a girl said RIP Biggie. That isn't about her color, thaAnd in case you haven't noticed,t's about the person she is. Period. So if a black guy says RIP Frank Sinatra has he never had a connection with that? C'mon son. 

And what facts tell you that the white people of this country latch onto what is mainstream? People can create trends no matter what it is, or what their race may be. And EVERYBODY follows trends. That's why it's called a trend. White, black, asian, hispanic people (ect.) all wear the same damn thing. It isn't about what a certain race is rocking, it's about what society as a whole is rocking.

In case you haven't yet noticed. The 90's was twenty years ago. Since then social media sites have connected the cultures of the world faster and easily. Everybody has equal access to the same trends. It's hard to be original.

What you have to accept is that the race of a person does not determine personality. 

imo i blame tumblr for this new generation of hypebeast (started around 2009-2010sih) **** bred stronger more potent hypebeast nowdays :smh:

back when i was in HS all the kids had on chucks or vans or some kind of skate shoe never seen anyone in jordans and if i did they sure as hell werent retros :smh:
now you see all of em in some sort of retros in an ugly *** color way :smh:

i knew **** was going downhill once the infareds/varsity red 6's released and they were sitting on shelves at my local FNL footlocker etc etc and im in LA
look at the prices nowdays for the same shoes that were sitting on shelves :smh:

Last edited:
Rough statistics from 2009. (Source: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0006.pdf  )

White People - 240k+

African American/Black - 40k

American Indian/Native - 3k+

Asian - 14k+

Two+ Races - 5k+

So yah, no trend can become mainstream without a bunch of white people.  Simple math.  I pick on white teenagers cuz until they're on board it's not like their parents know what's up.  But once they latch on then their parents also know about it, just further exposure.  

I really am surprised how reactionary some of ya'll have been, sorry for apparently being ****** at communication fam. 

Last edited:
You obviously didn't live through our generation. It wasn't a fad. Nike always had the best looking sneakers. Fly sneaks and clothes was the way we did it back then. Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, Polo, Iceberg with some Nike's or Timbs. Avirex's and Coogi sweaters.

It didn't have anything to do with limited edition this or that. It was all about looking fly, not "how much will these resell for" or "I don't want sneakers that everyone else has".

It was a whole different mentality. We bought things because it was fly and we liked them. Nobody cared that everybody had on Timb's. We still bought them because we liked them.
Still the reason why I buy kicks.
bingo, its another reason why even though i have so many kicks, none of my **** is really hyped up garbage. and most

of da fly dudes from neighborhood were da drug dealers, these days kids are looking at tumblr, twitter, NT, fb, instagram

and just downloading da celebrity swag and jacking it, back then it wasn't top down copying, it was ground up grass roots

hood flavor. there is little to no regret of any of da sneakers i get because they all come from my childhood,

this is why i was a never a reseller, its not why i signed up to NT..i didn't approach sneakers to make money,

i approached from a genuine admiration and cuz imma sports fan. i dunno why a 13 year old would want sneakers

from a dude he never seen play, if i was young right now i wouldn't be into kicks, i'd be into a whole range of other ****

because da internet has broken open doors as as far as available knowledge us 80's babies would've only dreamed of having

at our finger tips in da 1990's. dont get me wrong imma still be copping w/e i want, and make sure my money is always good

to continute to fuel whateva im into at da moment,

with that said...there's a reason i stay FAR AWAY from "sneaker events" because of da overbearing geek/nerd/pokemon

card collecting dungans and dragons/ warcraft vibe you get from 99% of these cats....

a_4x.jpg

a_4x.jpg

a_4x.jpg

a_4x.jpg

a_4x.jpg

a_4x.jpg

a_4x.jpg

a_4x.jpg

a_4x.jpg

nintendo_nerd.jpg

tumblr_m2iv1fHASE1rn116do1_500.gif

:nerd: Is your boy really wearing 2 different Doernbechers on his feet? NAHHHHH

But yea, is no fun anymore, is getting pretty corny now IMO.

^^^ the absolute reason I'm done with buying shoes like I did before. I in no way want to be associated with those people. The great majority of NT are these dudes.

^^^ the absolute reason I'm done with buying shoes like I did before. I in no way want to be associated with those people. The great majority of NT are these dudes.

What you gonna be wearing then brah? You could find idiots wearing anything. Losers been wearing jordans since 85.

Back
Top Bottom