Seattle SuperSonics Thread

while you were signing those petitions and attending the rallies, in the back of your mind you were thinking this is corny? Ok....

Also, when I was in Seattle in 05... the area Key Arena was in was sort of dumpy already. Just my opinion, not trying to say thats not why you don't deserve a team or nothing like that 
laugh.gif

and you are right, the sky won't fall if the Kings leave. But the sky ain't getting any brighter anytime soon either.

I've always said, this whole thing isn't about Sacramento vs Seattle. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Seattle offer or potential ownership group or arena plan.

But this hasn't even been about the Sonics. 

This has been about finding the right person(s) to own, operate, and keep the Kings in Sacramento.

Relocation is a last resort for the NBA. 

You saying ok like you made a point :lol:

No nothing about that is corny whats corny is the lightweight getting mad at people for wanting the Kings. I never once got mad at OKC fans for wanting the Sonics.....OK

Go ahead and look back at what i've said and check again what you trying to apparently tell me

Last edited:
Go ahead and look back at what i've said and check again what you trying to apparently tell me
And the same to you. 

Dude I have no quarrel with you 
You saying ok like you made a point
laugh.gif

No nothing about that is corny whats corny is the lightweight getting mad at people for wanting the Kings. I never once got mad at OKC fans for wanting the Sonics.....OK
No not trying to make a point with that. Probably should have added an emoticon 
laugh.gif

I meant that facetiously because I knew what you meant

If you have an issue with Lightweight take it up with him

Last edited by a moderator:
And the same to you. 

laugh.gif

Sahob I been addressed him and thats it, you keep putting on that purple cap like you bobby jackson

I'm getting my business plan together with some investors from King of Diamonds, bring the Kings to Tuscaloosa :pimp:

And the same to you. 

laugh.gif

Sahob I been addressed him and thats it, you keep putting on that purple cap like you bobby jackson

I'm getting my business plan together with some investors from King of Diamonds, bring the Kings to Tuscaloosa
pimp.gif
Potna, why am I Bobby Jackson?

and what is Kings of Diamonds and Tuscaloosa?

To nit pick a little....No you don't, because if you did you wouldn't see it as corny laugh.gif

Again believe me yes I do, I signed the petitions I went to the rallies when I traveled back to Seattle. Your choosing to believe that no one feels you "pain". For me to feel the struggle I got to understand were the lightweight is coming from and sympathize? Miss me with all that :rolleyes :lol:
while you were signing those petitions and attending the rallies, in the back of your mind you were thinking this is corny? Ok....

I know most of yall feel our pain, but doesn't that just make you a hypocrite for also openly hoping for stealing the Kings?

Also, when I was in Seattle in 05... the area Key Arena was in was sort of dumpy already. Just my opinion, not trying to say thats not why you don't deserve a team or nothing like that 
laugh.gif

and you are right, the sky won't fall if the Kings leave. But the sky ain't getting any brighter anytime soon either.

I've always said, this whole thing isn't about Sacramento vs Seattle. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Seattle offer or potential ownership group or arena plan.

But this hasn't even been about the Sonics. 

This has been about finding the right person(s) to own, operate, and keep the Kings in Sacramento.

Relocation is a last resort for the NBA. 

Having said that, this is all very trivial. If Sacramento fails, I hope the Kings do go to Seattle, yall deserve a team.

how could you call the area dumpy? has the space needle, imax theatre, science center, emp, queen ann hill all in the same block :rofl:

That's because you have to be 21 to do anything fun in that area (not counting anything actually at Seattle Center). It's all bars and restaurants that cater to an older crowd.

Where'd the civility go in this thread? :lol:

When you're 16 I can see how you think that area is a dump, but when you live locally and know comparatively how it stacks up with the rest of Seattle then you know it's not bad. It's simply just the downtown area of a big-time city so there's a lot going on and the bums don't help make things any cleaner. Being on the streets down there definitely doesn't feel like the picturesque beauty of Seattle's skyline from afar though.

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

BREAKING: Sacramento City Council officially votes to approve Arena term sheet. Crowd erupts in cheers with SAC-RA-MEN-TO. 

So I guess it's now down to the BOG?

Shout out to Chris Daniels for actually being in Sacramento for this!

Regardless of result, yall think this will be resolved before the BoG actually vote?

Regardless of result, yall think this will be resolved before the BoG actually vote?

Wait, he was IN Sacramento tonight? Dude was covering a double vehicular homicide yesterday afternoon in Seattle. Damn, that man gets around.

I would imagine it's in the bylaws that they do actually have to vote in mid-April, considering a binding agreement is on the table and was submitted to the BoG (hold that thought though). I think they will have obviously made up their minds well before the vote, but nothing will technically be resolved (either way) until then.

My only question at this point is (and because I honestly don't know), has the BoG ever voted against an actual sale agreement set in front of them? I know potential owners have entered into bidding wars, or current owners have flat out told people they can't buy them (Ellison and the Hornets), but have there ever been any recent agreements denied in favor of something else? All previous bidding wars seem to have essentially been auctions, and then the final agreement struck later.

Anyway, my feeling is if the BoG strikes it down, that's another precedent they'd be setting (it's starting to seem like Seattle is a damn guinea pig for how the league handles wacky sales situations lol).

Wait, he was IN Sacramento tonight? Dude was covering a double vehicular homicide yesterday afternoon in Seattle. Damn, that man gets around.

I would imagine it's in the bylaws that they do actually have to vote in mid-April, considering a binding agreement is on the table and was submitted to the BoG (hold that thought though). I think they will have obviously made up their minds well before the vote, but nothing will technically be resolved (either way) until then.

My only question at this point is (and because I honestly don't know), has the BoG ever voted against an actual sale agreement set in front of them? I know potential owners have entered into bidding wars, or current owners have flat out told people they can't buy them (Ellison and the Hornets), but have there ever been any recent agreements denied in favor of something else? All previous bidding wars seem to have essentially been auctions, and then the final agreement struck later.

Anyway, my feeling is if the BoG strikes it down, that's another precedent they'd be setting (it's starting to seem like Seattle is a damn guinea pig for how the league handles wacky sales situations lol).
Nope! Nevermind, Daniels was not in Sacramento tonight, my bad. Got it confused with when he was in town for the term sheet release last week.

To your point of, if the BoG has ever voted against a sale agreement, I think the closest incident of that (actually I think its pretty damn close to the situation right now) is of the Minnesota Timberwolves in 94 or 95. I believe they were being sold to a group in New Orleans who had immediate plans to relocate the franchise. I'll dig around to find something on this.

It kinda does suck that Seattle is basically a guinea pig in all this, but at the same time (in my biased opinion) I feel like its a good precedent to set. 

If the main reason why franchises move, is because of failure of local government to provide public subsidy of an arena or fan support, then so be it. 

But when a city has done nothing wrong to lose a franchise (local govt and fan support) and has stepped up to appease the needs of the local franchise and NBA, why not give them the fighting chance?

Otherwise, you'd have Donald Sterling moving the Clippers to God knows where 
laugh.gif

The thing is, Seattle never really did anything wrong (per say) from 2006-2008. It was more like "hey, wait a minute, the team got sold???" And we never had a chance to even mount a local effort, because the BoG approved it without anyone even knowing. There was no point in even trying to save them, looking back on it. Bennett had his eyes set on moving them, so did Stern. That situation was far worse. Stern wanted a team in OKC, and told Bennett which one he could get. At least you guys have a chance from the get-go.

I found the wiki page of the T'wolves sale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Timberwolves_failed_relocation_to_New_Orleans

That's true about Bennett having his sights on moving the team from the get-go, I always forget about that 
laugh.gif

As an outsider, I just think of the Seattle local govt telling the Sonics/NBA to go **** themselves when it came to a public subsidy for an arena, much like Sacramento pre-KJ.

I always forget, first and foremost, that Seattle got unequivocally ****** with the whole relocation and all that with Bennett/Stern 
mean.gif

All I think of when I see Clay Bennett is the guy who stole the sonics from Seattle. Not even "Clay Bennett, Thunder owner." Just "Clay Bennett, slimeball."

It wasn't Seattle's fault they lost the team, not the fans anyway. Local government, though, pin it solely on them. Had they stuck to what the lease said instead of chickening out the sonics would've been there one more year. Hindsight is 20/20 but the market crashed shortly after. Bennett very well might've had to sell the team had it not been for Seattle politicians. At the very least it would've bought a year to come up with a developer and framework contract for a new arena.

This whole ordeal stinks to the high heavens. And I hate using this term, but, it is what it is. Pick a team, any team, and think whether or not its right to relocate them. Honestly, there's only one team I can think of, and that's the Thunder.

It wasn't Seattle's fault they lost the team, not the fans anyway. Local government, though, pin it solely on them. Had they stuck to what the lease said instead of chickening out the sonics would've been there one more year. Hindsight is 20/20 but the market crashed shortly after. Bennett very well might've had to sell the team had it not been for Seattle politicians. At the very least it would've bought a year to come up with a developer and framework contract for a new arena.

It was two more years, at least. That lease was iron clad. The city (mayor) caved because the NBA threatened to never come back to Seattle ever again if they didn't take a deal. That "deal" ended up screwing Seattle even more, because the extra money ($45 million to do whatever they wanted with it) promised was contingent on Seattle getting another team within a few years. The NBA clearly had no intention of that happening, so we got double screwed when that time was up, and Bennett was off the hook again! And you wonder why our mayor at the time got voted out of office lol (yes, there were other reasons, but the Sonics situation didn't help).

Is there any articles of the NBA saying they'd never come back if they didn't allow Bennett to break the lease?? I think I've only heard that from hearsay but never actually read about it. That's big time grimey

Is there any articles of the NBA saying they'd never come back if they didn't allow Bennett to break the lease?? I think I've only heard that from hearsay but never actually read about it. That's big time grimey

It was definitely implied (if not explicit). Many sportswriters recall talking to the mayor off the record after it was all over, and he basically said his hands were tied. If Seattle ever wanted the NBA to pay attention again, the city needed to let it go.

Edit: that was the one sliver of hope I held onto after everything went down. That's how clear the terms appeared to be...but again, this is another example of people not knowing the full story (not you, but the public, at large).

Still, not nearly as bad as Schultz immediately regretting selling the team to Bennett after that press conference in 2006. Again, multiple sports writers who talked to him off camera said he acted like he'd made the biggest mistake of his life. I know for a fact, to this day, that Howard doesn't allow NBA basketball to be shown in his house. It's ironic though, because his son is a huge NBA fan and writes about it for HuffPo. Funny how that works.

Last edited:
Well, I guess this all turned out to be a non-issue:

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
RT @nickmonacelli: BREAKING: Cook's bankruptcy lawyers completed negotiations to sell his 7% to Chris Hansen of Seattle.

All pending league approval, of course.

Chris Hansen is a shark!!!

That or Cook is just a paper skinned, Maloof conniving son of a ***** :lol:

Ok... 7%... so what does that mean... does it sway the boat in any direction?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom