Realistically, what has the sweep done to Kobe's legacy?

Nothing. 2nd Best SG of all time. Top 10 player of all time (possibly Top 5 when his career is over)

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Ya'll care way too much about "image" and "legacies", fat of the matter is what else does he have to prove?

Guy won 5 rings already......5.

This. When you reach the level he has theres nothin that can bring it down.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Ya'll care way too much about "image" and "legacies", fat of the matter is what else does he have to prove?

Guy won 5 rings already......5.

This. When you reach the level he has theres nothin that can bring it down.

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

A player or leader can do all the motivating and rallying of the troops, but if a grown %$% man doesn't have the mindset to be there along with him (aka Pau this series) and the rest of the locker room is fractured for whatever reason, then it's all for naught.
Correct.
Now, I should also point out that by saying this, you sound like an LBJ fan from '10
smile.gif

But unless we find out someone smashed Pau's girl, it's not the same. Bron clearly checked out of that series after the Delonte-Gloria fiasco was over and had his talents prepared for South Beach possibly even sooner, so I don't see the correlation.

A player or leader can do all the motivating and rallying of the troops, but if a grown %$% man doesn't have the mindset to be there along with him (aka Pau this series) and the rest of the locker room is fractured for whatever reason, then it's all for naught.
Correct.
Now, I should also point out that by saying this, you sound like an LBJ fan from '10
smile.gif

But unless we find out someone smashed Pau's girl, it's not the same. Bron clearly checked out of that series after the Delonte-Gloria fiasco was over and had his talents prepared for South Beach possibly even sooner, so I don't see the correlation.

Absolutely nothing, he's still a top-10 or so all timer. All great players lose from time to time, so idk why anyone a playoff series loss would stain his legacy after winning two straight. (cue the idiotic Jordan comparison, as if it's reasonable to hold anyone to Jordan's standard)

Mavs somewhat followed the Celtics' 4th quater game plan for defending Bryant. Ran two guys at him when he caught the ball in his preferred spots, and then really tilted the defense to put pressure on Artest and Fisher to hit those elbow threes and/or make a play off the dribble. When they tried to swing it to Pau after the pass out of the double team, he was ineffective. Obviously the Mavs' gameplan worked to perfection. Kobe could have played better by his standards, but they would've lost anyway, and as noted, it's a team game.

Absolutely nothing, he's still a top-10 or so all timer. All great players lose from time to time, so idk why anyone a playoff series loss would stain his legacy after winning two straight. (cue the idiotic Jordan comparison, as if it's reasonable to hold anyone to Jordan's standard)

Mavs somewhat followed the Celtics' 4th quater game plan for defending Bryant. Ran two guys at him when he caught the ball in his preferred spots, and then really tilted the defense to put pressure on Artest and Fisher to hit those elbow threes and/or make a play off the dribble. When they tried to swing it to Pau after the pass out of the double team, he was ineffective. Obviously the Mavs' gameplan worked to perfection. Kobe could have played better by his standards, but they would've lost anyway, and as noted, it's a team game.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Correct.
smile.gif

Hold up, what does Gasol gotta do with this? Is he the "face" of the team? I thought Kobe was the guy who "willed" his team to play like he does...? 
roll.gif

The fact is, whenever you make a subjective argument you can spin it however you want to, Which is what people are doing right now. And the Kobe fans object to in a display of irony.

Originally Posted by Mamba MVP

Correct.
smile.gif

Hold up, what does Gasol gotta do with this? Is he the "face" of the team? I thought Kobe was the guy who "willed" his team to play like he does...? 
roll.gif

The fact is, whenever you make a subjective argument you can spin it however you want to, Which is what people are doing right now. And the Kobe fans object to in a display of irony.

Originally Posted by JPZx

I don't understand how you can't judge a player by the number of championships he has given the fact that he will have 12-14 chances to grab a title or 2.

Everything's not black and white. You have to take each championship or failure to get a championship and magnify it incredibly. Things like teammates, other great teams, coaching, etc. factor into legacies and resume's.

Just because player X won 3 championships, and player Y won 2... it doesn't mean player X was better. There are so many other details to sort through to TRULY determine how great a player is or how they stand against another player.

*As for this thread, it's a little disconcerting that Kobe couldn't will his team to at least ONE win in this series. Like I said, it's a team game, but a guy who's threatening "The Greatest Player of All-Time" title shouldn't allow his team to be swept. That doesn't just involve his play on the court, but also sorting things out chemistry-wise in the locker room (which will lead to better results for the rest of the team on the court).

Do you think I'm that stupid?
indifferent.gif

People are saying you can't judge a player on the number of championships he has.  I'm pointing out that that is a legitimate thing to consider among many, you can't just throw it out.  You also can't look at stats because while number don't lie, they can mislead.

EDIT:  It was clear that LeBron values the # of championships associated with his name by him going to Miami.

Interesting the failings of Lebron never garner sentiments of "this is a team game"

Love Kobe as a player, i really do, but his resume has numerous "no shows" in

important games.

Originally Posted by JPZx

I don't understand how you can't judge a player by the number of championships he has given the fact that he will have 12-14 chances to grab a title or 2.

Everything's not black and white. You have to take each championship or failure to get a championship and magnify it incredibly. Things like teammates, other great teams, coaching, etc. factor into legacies and resume's.

Just because player X won 3 championships, and player Y won 2... it doesn't mean player X was better. There are so many other details to sort through to TRULY determine how great a player is or how they stand against another player.

*As for this thread, it's a little disconcerting that Kobe couldn't will his team to at least ONE win in this series. Like I said, it's a team game, but a guy who's threatening "The Greatest Player of All-Time" title shouldn't allow his team to be swept. That doesn't just involve his play on the court, but also sorting things out chemistry-wise in the locker room (which will lead to better results for the rest of the team on the court).

Do you think I'm that stupid?
indifferent.gif

People are saying you can't judge a player on the number of championships he has.  I'm pointing out that that is a legitimate thing to consider among many, you can't just throw it out.  You also can't look at stats because while number don't lie, they can mislead.

EDIT:  It was clear that LeBron values the # of championships associated with his name by him going to Miami.

Interesting the failings of Lebron never garner sentiments of "this is a team game"

Love Kobe as a player, i really do, but his resume has numerous "no shows" in

important games.

Nothing really to me. You can see he is a bit worn down. Maybe the rest plus the lockout will get him a little fresher but knowing him he'll go at it hard in a week or so.

Kobe did what he could do.

Nothing really to me. You can see he is a bit worn down. Maybe the rest plus the lockout will get him a little fresher but knowing him he'll go at it hard in a week or so.

Originally Posted by HOOD17

Nothing really to me. You can see he is a bit worn down. Maybe the rest plus the lockout will get him to retire a little fresher but knowing him he'll go at it hard in a week or so.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HOOD17

Nothing really to me. You can see he is a bit worn down. Maybe the rest plus the lockout will get him to retire a little fresher but knowing him he'll go at it hard in a week or so.

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom