Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

The last time *****s was really even F’n with Eminem was like 2004.

That’s almost 20 years ago. To put that in perspective, he came out in like 98/99. And *****s had stopped checking for him in 04. That’s a 5 year run of decent to good music (in a time where people weren’t dropping frequently).

We’ve had the last 20 years of very few Eminem records that *****s ACTUALLY **** with.

That’s not to say he doesn’t have black fans, or isn’t generally well respected. But people finally have stopped lying about Eminem, and started telling the collective truth. And it just SEEMS like disrespect. But this is what *****s have been feeling for a long time.

We all watched 8 Mile, and thought Eminem was the Cool white boy, who hung with Dre, Snoop, 50 & em, and could go bar for bar with the best of em.

After that…what else is left there musically, from 2004, til now? 2023. Not much

I agree in a sense, the Eminem show was his last classic album but Encore had some very good tracks too, like you said, in 04. After that we didn't hear from him again until about 09. Don't say ****** stopped checking for him, he stopped putting out music for whatever reason. ****** wanted new music but he wasn't making it. By the time that Relapse dropped in 09, ****** wasn't feeling it, rightfully so and he felt that and came right back with the Recovery album which was a very good album and got some of his biggest songs of all time on it, but that was the start to him leaning all the way into his white side for the most part after that.

I agree, Eminem is unbearable to listen to in 2023 and has been for a long time, but in the wise words of Flip Johnson, "They can't erase what we were."

Forgot about Dre - is a Dre track and yes…

The other one no. I have never listened to a Em album in my life. A lot of people my circle hasn’t either. :lol:

Man you know Em wrote that verse lol and if you never heard an Em album in your life you not even really qualified to speak on no rap **** for real

:pimp: :pimp:
1C3DCBC1-ADD9-4E56-92C6-7D83C1C12C35.jpeg
I would bet you $100 if Em saw this pic he would shake his head in disgust.

To put a while man at the top of a genre literally created by Blacks is wildly disrespectful and untrue. I was a big fan of Em as kid but like any artist he has his sliders. Most of which have only gone down in the last decade or 2. He definitely has skill but I don't know if he was ever universally crowned as the best guy out at any time. Even when he was at his peak dudes like Nelly, Hov, hell even Ja resonated way more with the core of the hip hop community (Blacks / other minorities).

The only thing I can't argue with is the sales but he also spoke to the majority race that was fiending for a way into our culture.

I would bet you $100 if Em saw this pic he would shake his head in disgust.

To put a while man at the top of a genre literally created by Blacks is wildly disrespectful and untrue. I was a big fan of Em as kid but like any artist he has his sliders. Most of which have only gone down in the last decade or 2. He definitely has skill but I don't know if he was every universally crowned as the best guy out at any time. Even when he was at his peak dudes like Nelly, Hov, hell even Ja resonated way more with the core of the hip hop community (Blacks / other minorities).

The only thing I can't argue with is the sales but he also spoke to the majority race that was fiending for a way into our culture.

He was arguably the top guy though, it was him, Jay z and Nas all battling for that spot.

"Only dudes moving units Em, Pimp Juice and us."

EM pen was highly respected back then. We prob could dig up some old posts on this very forum and see what the consensus was on Eminem in those days.

The last time *****s was really even F’n with Eminem was like 2004.

That’s almost 20 years ago. To put that in perspective, he came out in like 98/99. And *****s had stopped checking for him in 04. That’s a 5 year run of decent to good music (in a time where people weren’t dropping frequently).

This is the same with _'s like Wayne and Cam. :lol:

Free No Savage

LOL. This dude is wasting his time. He would have better luck trying to turn water into wine.

Folks are more than willing to put on a “Free Savage” display or show at the Attorney General’s Office for Virginia and see how that works out in hopes of getting Savage out early.

Every
Mother
Is
Nice
Except
Mine
:pimp:
I hate to bring race into this but during Em’s rise a lot of black kids/teens weren’t on this. Even if there was some beef with their mom it was never as deep as Em took it. Shrooms, pills, and all that, basically white boy wasted…we didn’t get on that til some years down the line.

I, personally was listening during his rise. And yes my mom and I were beefing. So much she thought when I was playing Em it was in relation to her. I chilled out on certain songs after a talk with her, definitely wasn’t how I felt lol.

Em was killing it though! Regardless of subject matter there wasn’t too many rappers messing with him at his peak.

Last edited:
This is the same with _'s like Wayne and Cam. :lol:

Wayne got “wack” to a small segment of core rap fans by 2009.

But the massss, black culture included…Loved Wayne until like 2013 :lol:. It isn’t really the same thing.

And Camron has and is always more culturally relevant to the core demo than Eminem. Cam’s run lasted until 2006-2007. From 1998, onward..hitting his peak in 02-05.

But nobody is out here is pretending like they still listen to Camron or Wayne, when they aren’t :lol:. I say all that to say this…all three of those guys you mentioned are great artists, that had some high peaks and then some lows (like most). But there is for sure a lot of differences

I forgot how much I used to rock with TIP :lol:. Specifically around this time. he couldn’t miss. Perfect storm

The previewing of “Motivation” after “ASAP” video, was tough too.

“5’9, with the soul of a 6’4 *****”

:smokin
I used to listen to Urban Legend on my Ipod on the way to college classes in late 04-05', especially Motivation, U Don't Know Me and ASAP as they were right in a row (one of my favorite 3 track runs on an album). Those songs used to get me so focused before getting to the lecture hall lol.

Back
Top Bottom