Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Notorious.jpg

Reading these comments it's always clear who's relatively new to hip hop. Dudes think everything started with Wayne or Kanye or Drake. They have little to no information about hip hop culture before 2007.
Hip Hop is where its at today because of those ****** and more popular than it's ever been

Not just them, but they are the most important today. Idk why yall stay devaluing their influence.

Nobody is devaluing them. They helped. They made contributions but when people that just got into hip hop when Wayne and Kanye was hot start acting like they invented this and that and they made hip hop into what it is... Nah. :lol:

That's just not correct. Hip Hop has been insanely popular for a long *** time.

One of the biggest movies of all time was promoting Public Enemy.

8pel919vmtd11.jpg

White people have always jumped on Hip Hop for cool points

axl_rose_n.w.a._hat_guns_n_roses.png

And it's bigger than a generational debate (since that's always the root of these silly debates in here.) They used to hide just how popular hip hop was until soundscan got introduced.

With the changing rules, the album charts became a truer reflection of what Americans actually listened to — and, it turned out, we were often cooler than stores gave us credit for. People (lots of them!) were listening to hip-hop, which had long been rubbished by the industry as a fad. “I had conversations with people at labels and at Billboard who said that hip-hop was being suppressed before the rule changes,” Thompson told The Post.

Thanks to SoundScan, it was no longer possible to keep this new genre down. Albums from N.W.A (“*****z4Life”), Ice Cube (“The Predator”) and Cypress Hill (“Black Sunday”) all hit No. 1 in the early ’90s.

https://nypost.com/2017/02/09/how-1991-changed-music-as-we-knew-it/

So, for many years, Billboard wasn't a perfect mirror of American tastes. It was warped by label preferences and record-store inventories. It often over-counted songs that labels preferred (like rock) and under-counted genres they were indifferent toward (like country and rap).

But in 1991, this changed. First, Nielsen ended the record-store charade by releasing SoundScan, which used point-of-sales data from cash registers in stores. Finally, Nielsen had timely information on which albums were really selling. Around the same time, Billboard switched from trusting radio stations’ self-reports to monitoring airplay through a third party. The Hot 100 chart changed from a political document to a statistical register, honestly tracking the songs Americans were really buying and listening to.

Within a few weeks, N.W.A. replaced R.E.M. on the charts. The swapping of acronyms—out with soft rock, in with hip-hop—was a harbinger. In the early 1990s, the "hip-hop/rap" genre exploded to become, by far, the most common genre of music on the Billboard Hot 100 charts for two decades (see the graphs below). These methodology changes “helped new artists, particularly in hip-hop,” said Silvio Pietroluongo, director of charts at Billboard.

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...1991-the-most-important-year-in-music/392642/

All these "studies" coming out now saying "hip hop is now the most consumed genre...". I don't believe that. When I was in high school hip hop was the only genre every race was bumping. Hip Hop has been dictating what's cool for at least 25 years. They just would look dumb tryna hide it now.

They made contributions but when people that just got into hip hop when Wayne and Kanye was hot start acting like they invented this and that and they made hip hop into what it is... Nah. :lol:
Trust me. I know they didn't invent the genre but made major contributions.
All these "studies" coming out now saying "hip hop is now the most consumed genre...". I don't believe that. When I was in high school hip hop was the only genre every race was bumping. Hip Hop has been dictating what's cool for at least 25 years. They just would look dumb tryna hide it now
I believe everything you said and agree. I just believe it's even more popular than it already was and is becoming more marketable.

Isn't it great that we have streaming and downloads available in just a matter of seconds on your phone? You never have to listen to anybody you don't like. I don't be knowing who half of these artists are that are posted in here :lol:

Just finished my first spin of this new Common project. Can definitely relax to this soulful project. Glad he didn’t go crazy with the number of tracks on her and he picked the right people to be featured.

Trust me. I know they didn't invent the genre but made major contributions.

I believe everything you said and agree. I just believe it's even more popular than it already was and is becoming more marketable.

Which is bad. Cause you got lame *** bloggers, hipsters, and misinformed Mfers ruining the genre.

Still crazy man went from an underground dude with a bunch of potential to an overconfident rapper who didn't move rite

Back
Top Bottom