Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Spotify coming for it all

Spotify announced two major acquisitions this week:
  1. Gimlet Media, the content creators behind the Startup and ReplyAll podcasts, purchased for $230 million
  2. Anchor, the production and distribution platform for podcast creators, purchased for an undisclosed sum
Both acquisitions were unexpected. Spotify has never before purchased a company focused on creating content, and Gimlet's acquisition is one of the biggest in podcast history. Moreover, Spotify reportedly plans to invest up to $500 million in the podcasting space, meaning Gimlet maybe just the tip of the iceberg.

This move is interesting for a number of reasons. For starters, while Spotify has long dwarfed Apple Music in number of subscribers, Spotify has been late to the podcasting game. For a long time, podcasts—a name literally taken from the iPod—were an afterthought at Spotify, as Chief R&D Officer Gustav Söderström explained to TechCrunch:

“The user experience was really poor,” he says. “There was no 15-second skip. In spite of that, we saw a lot of users listening to podcasts. It was kind of unexpected, and we didn’t really understand why. It turned out people really wanted to have podcasts in Spotify with their music. If you look at radio, it’s not that surprising.”

The parallel to radio is key, and it's echoed by Spotify CEO Daniel Elk, who when talking about the recent podcast acquisitions said, “...people still spend over two hours a day listening to radio—and we want to bring that radio listening to Spotify, where we can deepen engagement and create value in new ways.”

Spotify's strategy, it seems, is to build something between radio and Netflix. Like radio, Spotify can be the portal by which every consumer discovers and enjoys audio content—hence its acquisition of Gimlet, one of the most popular podcast producers. At the same time, Spotify seems increasingly interested in producing original, Spotify-exclusive content—hence the acquisition of Anchor, which claim to be responsible for 40% of the world's new podcasts.

If Spotify can successfully execute on this strategy, it could become the default platform for both the discovery and production of original audio content. There is a potential virtuous cycle where the best podcasters use Spotify to create and distribute their content, and more and more listeners depend on Spotify for access to it.

I've been saying I eventually see Joe Budden's podcast transitioning into a daily radio-like show...and now there's a pathway towards just that being established.

Budden caught traction with podcast/content at the perfect time

Kinda cool to see him flourishing so many years removed from his stardom (or whatever you call it)

NY’ers quick to throw X in a top 10 convo but dude had one good year musically.

Will admit, his height during that year, a lot of rappers have never seen but aint enough for a top 10 list imo.

tenor.gif

Will admit, his height during that year, a lot of rappers have never seen but aint enough for a top 10 list imo.

Why do some of you turn everything in some sort of regional thing.

The people saying this aren't even from New York.

It was perfecting timing for a NY artist. The majority of old heads top ten list will consist of nothing but 90’s NY artist with the exception being Scarface. I know mines used to be that way until Tip, Rozay and possibly future came through and crushed the buildings.

Side note, X is a tad bit overrated.

Budden caught traction with podcast/content at the perfect time

Kinda cool to see him flourishing so many years removed from his stardom (or whatever you call it)

It was interesting how he mentioned the importance of a manager. I wonder how much he played a part.

I think Nore could have done more, but his direction wasn't there.

Not saying it's this case, but region plays a part.

Region matters to the degree a lot of people have been championing garbage lyricist like wavycrocket wavycrocket

but the ones having the DMX debate aren't even from NY

I think age plays a factor in a lot, if not more. A lot of people were teenagers when X and 50 came out so they had a affinity for them.

Region matters to the degree a lot of people have been championing garbage lyricist like wavycrocket wavycrocket

but the ones having the DMX debate aren't even from NY

I think age plays a factor in a lot, if not more. A lot of people were teenagers when X and 50 came out so they had a affinity for them.
Region plays a part in the sense that outside of hip hop heads and maybe East coasters, DMX isn't heralded the same outside of his commerical work

I don't think it was physically possibly to be a teenager when both X and 50 got hot. So GRODT 50...not Rob and Steal 50.

I realized that when I moved down south.

Other places don’t champion X like that.

I remember Grand Champ (or whichever album that had Get it on the floor) coming out around the time I first moved. I was excited. The cats I hung around back then didn’t give a damn about X and I can’t remember very much buzz around him at all.

Back
Top Bottom