Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

i just thought it was a good album

he was locked up so he couldnt really do adequate marketing and promo to really make it a moment

top off benz should have been a hit

When does a good album have a chance to be a classic ?

I'm getting old man :smh:

A classic isn't a good album

It's beyond a great album

When someone gets introduced to hip hop 10 years from now, is it gonna be an album that is considered an essential?

YG doesnt have a classic.His albums are good though.He did what i said new young artist need to do.Keep the sound of your region.While putting a spin on it.Thats why YG is successful.Hes just doing what L.A. have been doing since the 80,s.Hes just young and putting a newer spin on it.His state/city supports him alot.Because he still represents the L.A. sound from the sound/subject matter.N.W.A=F*** the P*****.YG=F*** Donald Trump.
He still sprinkles the California sound in his production choice.He represents gang culture=Blood.

So just like Kendrick.Hes going to stand out and receive love and support.Like ive said before.The fans of this generation are in denial.Somebody in here had the nerve to say Hip Hop/Rap has progressed.Combining R&B and minimal rap with Trap beats on every song is not progression.Especially when most of these rappers are just copying each other.The next rappers that come out representing there region with a new spin/quality on it.Are going to win just kendrick and YG.

Its going to be a little hard them.Because its going to take more skills.Compared to throwing a Trap beat on.And just singing a never ending hook with 1 verse broken up.This is why Atlanta hasnt fallin off yet.Because they created the sound that everybody has bitten or taken in some type of way.So youngster in the A can keep having success.Once new rappers start coming out representing where there from.While not totally sounding outdated.Theyll win and bring balance back.The artist named earlier (Joey B,Big Sean) dont have classic albums.They have good verses here and there.But were talking classic albums here.

Classic albums are thrown around to losely nowadays.When i go to different states.I still here songs from Ready to Die,AEOM,Makavali,Blue Print,illmatic,GRODT,Documenary,Atliens on radio stations.Nothing in Rap has progressed.If it did.Then these youngsters would put more heart in there music.Its easier to be successful today just by beinv repetitive.They don't have to put the effort into making a classic album.

Im not hating on the UZi,s,Young Thugs,Futures,Famous Dex,Yahty,s.But lets not act like were not going to see successful copycats of them.In the next 5 years.Once that happens.Lets see if its called progression.

Classics are timeles.Lets just see how many people will care to hear these rappers 20-30 years from now.What alot of people dont understand.Is that the rappers from the 90,s grew up on music from the 70,s and 80,s.So they cared about production and originality.That was there advantage.The producers back then grew up being taught how to actually make beats.Yes they sampled.But the music had feeling.Throw on The Chronic,Doggystyle,Ridin Dirty,Ready to Die,Outkast first 3.Then throw on any album from the past 5 years.Thats not Kendrick,Cole,and compare them.Its not even close.Most of the producers from the albums i named.Have a musical background/knowledge.There not going to tell the public that.Nowadays these new producers have limited knowledge.And they dont really care to have it.Thats a huge reason why region sound is not in abundance anymore.

Classics are timeles.Lets just see how many people will care to hear these rappers 20-30 years from now.What alot of people dont understand.Is that the rappers from the 90,s grew up on music from the 70,s and 80,s.So they cared about production and originality.That was there advantage.The producers back then grew up being taught how to actually make beats.Yes they sampled.But the music had feeling.Throw on The Chronic,Doggystyle,Ridin Dirty,Ready to Die,Outkast first 3.Then throw on any album from the past 5 years.Thats not Kendrick,Cole,and compare them.Its not even close.Most of the producers from the albums i named.Have a musical background/knowledge.There not going to tell the public that.Nowadays these new producers have limited knowledge.And they dont really care to have it.Thats a huge reason why region sound is not in abundance anymore.

Zaytoven? 40? DJ Dahi? Hit Boy?

mexiko dro out here making super mario bros sounding trap beats lol

Jake One?

even guys like metro and pierre bourne doing their own thing in the trap landscape

the beats have gotten better if anything...puff and dre and snoop used to remake entire songs from the 70's and 80's w 90's drums lol

whats going on rn in rap is no different from prior decades...a sound got popular and is being done to death...a la g funk, all those bootleg timbaland and pharrell beats in the early 2000's, crunk, snap, etc.

something new will come out soon enough

Last edited:
Beats now>>>> dusty 90 boom boom bap beats

If you saying different u just old and diagruntled :lol:

I gave my criteria for what makes a classic album. Impact, time, fan reception, critic receptipn and the majority of songs have to be good.

Outside of future fans, nobody is talking about DS2. Also, until Wattba and his mixtapes after came out, they didn't even put it up there with the 3-peat.

Probably the most out of touch post I've read. I wouldn't call it a classic myself, but the chord that album struck was undeniable.

Reception to that album was not met with the same love the mixtapes had. I didn't say it was panned. How can it be a classic if people thought the mixtapes were better?

I gave my criteria for what makes a classic album. Impact, time, fan reception, critic receptipn and the majority of songs have to be good.

Outside of future fans, nobody is talking about DS2. Also, until Wattba and his mixtapes after came out, they didn't even put it up there with the 3-peat.

Probably the most out of touch post I've read. I wouldn't call it a classic myself, but the chord that album struck was undeniable.

Yeah that was being praised soon as it dropped and WATTBA came out like only 2 months after DS2. :lol:

If you saying different u just old and diagruntled :lol:

This is when you know lil dudes really don't know what they talking. :lol:

Hip hop was way more than NY boom bap. Dr Dre, Quik, Daz, DJ Paul and Juicy, Mike Dean all had they're own sound in the 90's.

Yeah that was being praised soon as it dropped and WATTBA came out like only 2 months after DS2. :lol:

Hip hop was way more than NY boom bap. Dr Dre, Quik, Daz, DJ Paul and Juicy, Mike Dean all had they're own sound in the 90's.

DS2 was definitely being played everywhere because of the hype he amassed from the tapes, but it was not being shown the same love in that thread. Im not saying people didnt like or love it. People were debating for a while if they should put it up there with the 3peat. I feel as if folks viewed that project a little differently after what came after

Last edited:

If you saying different u just old and diagruntled
laugh.gif

Dungeon Family had their own sound too. :pimp:

DS2 was definitely being played everywhere because of the hype he amassed from the tapes, but it was not being shown the same love in that thread. Im not saying people didnt like or love it. People were debating for a while if they should put it up there with the 3peat. I feel as if folks viewed that project a little differently after what came after

I mean it does take time for people to say where something ranks. Either way the album was prasied when it dropped.

Last edited:
A classic isn't a good album

It's beyond a great album

When someone gets introduced to hip hop 10 years from now, is it gonna be an album that is considered an essential?

It's all subjective. What you consider a classic may be dog **** to somebody else case in point I think yeezus is an incredible album and I'm not alone but many hate it

Wavez only knows Mike Dean because of Desiigner. He has no idea that he produced for Scarface, Z-Ro, Devin, UGK and several other Houston, N.O., and Cali artists :lol:

I wasn't born during James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Curtis Mayfield, Teddy Pendergass, etc. era but I know their classic and timeless albums. These new hip hop
fans don't know nothing.

Everyone knows I'm a Future hater but I'm not going to front like his work ain't classic. Future lucky he had ties to Dungeon Family. If not, he'd be lost at sea. Boy luckier than the kid on Willy Wonka.

Last edited:
All great albums aren't classics. Eminem has great albums in MMLP and SSLP, but for me, they aren't classics. I may be bias because I always found him to be goofy but respected his ability to spit. I feel as if people can't distinguish between an album they really like and a classic. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom