RAIDER NATION Season THREAD:

I just saw that you posted that Lesean rumor I would quit being a fan if that happened. :lol:

Ausberry injured again again who?

Khalil Mack rated best 2014 first rounder by Pro Football Focus

Khalil Mack may be in search of his first sack of his NFL career, but the outside linebacker has made his impact felt for anyone who has been watching his first six games with the Oakland Raiders. Pressuring the quarterback often despite not getting an official sack, Mack has also been impressive against the run to make up for his lack of box score statistics and has given fans hope that he along with 2013 draft selection Sio Moore will be the future of the franchise at outside linebacker.

The statisticians at ProFootballFocus appear to agree with the game film as Mack has been rated the best 2014 first round selection through the opening seven weeks of the season, coming just ahead of defensive tackle Aaron Donald as the best of the class to date. Not surprising given his stout run defending in addition to PFF’s official numbers of a combined 16 hits and hurries of the passer through six games with the Raiders.

From PFF:

5. Khalil Mack, Oakland Raiders, OLB
Grade: +16.6
Snaps: 395
Analysis: Zero sacks and so Mack is struggling right? Wrong. Mack has positive marks rushing the passer where his 16 combined hits and hurries suggest a sack is coming soon. However, its the run game where he’s really really starred. A truly promising start.

Mack’s PFF numbers drive home the fact that while box score analysts may be disappointed to see that the 2014 Top 5 pick has yet to record a sack, the Buffalo product has been extremely explosive and has continued his reputation as an underrated player into the NFL after his small school roots in Buffalo. While those who don’t watch the film, or Raiders games from week to week, may think that Mack isn’t making his impact that simply is not the case as the expected cornerstone of the Oakland defense has been showing his potential in each of his 395 snaps. When the sacks come, expect the hype around Mack to continue as his talent and upside is very real.

Khalil Mack rated best 2014 first rounder by Pro Football Focus
pimp.gif

Carr wants Raiders draft class to lead by example
ALAMEDA -- Derek Carr has reached out to several members of the 2014 draft class with one simple message: It’s time to lead.

The Raiders rookie quarterback has already taken that responsibility on, especially after interim head coach Tony Sparano told him to. He’s also forming a leadership council of sorts, one that can guide this team toward a better future. Veterans normally assume that role but a youth movement is worth a shot, especially after an 0-6 start. After all, the young guys have longer-term contracts. They're the ones who stick.

“I’ve actually gotten together with a group of them and I plan on getting together with all of them and really saying, ‘Hey, they drafted us here for a reason and we’ve got to stick together and keep the positive attitude going,’ because this thing is eventually going to turn around,” Carr said. “Hopefully, it’s this week, hopefully it’s sooner than later, but I tell them all the time, ‘Hey we’re going to be a part of it, we’re going to be a part of the turnaround, so let’s keep that positive attitude. Let’s keep that hard work going and be good examples.’”

The 2014 draft class is a good place to start. Linebacker Khalil Mack, Carr, guard Gabe Jackson and nose tackle Justin Ellis -- four of the first five picks -- start and already rank among the Raiders' best. Seventh-round pick T.J. Carrie is the No. 3 cornerback and return man.

While these players are young, they carry enough street cred to have their voices heard.

“Even though we are rookies, we are playing a lot and some of us are in leadership-type positions, so we do need to keep that positive mindset because it’s so easy right now to be down. That’s the easy thing to do. It’s easy to go home and feel upset and sad but the hard thing to do is to keep your head down and keep working and come to work with a positive attitude and energy. That’s what I try to bring and that’s what I try to tell those guys as well.”

Streater expects to come off short-term IR when eligible

ALAMEDA – Rod Streater feared the worst after fracturing his foot in a Week 3 loss at New England.

“I thought I was done,” Streater said. “Foot injuries take a long time to heal, and I just didn’t think I was coming back from this one in time.”

Streater had surgery and was walking a few days later, which raised his spirits some.

On Thursday afternoon, Streater seemed sure that he would return on schedule.

He was placed on injured reserve with a designation to return Oct. 2, putting him on the shelf for six weeks and out of game action for eight weeks.

Those are minimum requirements – a player can take more time if necessary -- but Streater is confidence he’ll return on time.

He can return to practice on Nov. 13, can be activated on Nov. 27 and would be eligible to play Nov. 30 at St. Louis.

“That’s the plan,” Streater said. “It’s been tough to watch the team struggle without being able to contribute, but the rehab itself is going great.”

The Raiders could certainly use him. They've shown little stability opposite James Jones, with dynamic, yet inconsistent play in his stead.

Back
Top Bottom