Racism You've Dealt With

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

Back in high school these two white kids were walking behind me and one said wasup n!gger. Its crazy cause I used to be good friends with the kid back in middle school. I was to shy back then but looking back on it I should have took off on him right there.

THIS

Bothered hell out of me. I don't know what the hell it is but somehow white people (or any other non-black people) are fascinated with this n-word. It cringes me when I see some white people getting mad at not able to use the word like black people would. They would say some ignorant things like, 'you can't own a word!!!' or 'how come I can't use that word to my black friends?!' (Yes, I've heard that
indifferent.gif
)

I guess these suburban 'thugs' thought they can use that term as an endearment as long as they got on their Lugz boots and Avirex jacket. 
mad.gif
30t6p3b.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by nom de guerre

Back in high school these two white kids were walking behind me and one said wasup n!gger. Its crazy cause I used to be good friends with the kid back in middle school. I was to shy back then but looking back on it I should have took off on him right there.

THIS

Bothered hell out of me. I don't know what the hell it is but somehow white people (or any other non-black people) are fascinated with this n-word. It cringes me when I see some white people getting mad at not able to use the word like black people would. They would say some ignorant things like, 'you can't own a word!!!' or 'how come I can't use that word to my black friends?!' (Yes, I've heard that
indifferent.gif
)

I guess these suburban 'thugs' thought they can use that term as an endearment as long as they got on their Lugz boots and Avirex jacket. 
mad.gif
30t6p3b.gif
indifferent.gif

.........5 years ago i was working way deep in the woods in Mississippi. i was with 2 white guys and we stopped for gas at some gas station in the middle of nowhere. i was already looking around because of where i was, on top of that the gas station was like a house/gas station with 3 ZZ top looking older white men sitting on the front porch in rocking chairs.

so we go in, get a few items, and take them to the counter. the place was a family business and 2 teenage girls were ringing us up. when they got to the last item one of the girls pointed to a pair of gloves sticking out of my pocket and proceeds to ring them up. im like "nah, these were mine already, i brought them in". she said "no, you're trying to steal them". 
eek.gif
roll.gif

i was so shocked that i couldnt deny it because i was literally doubled over laughing out loud and couldnt gather myself enough to get serious. (what must have been) her father came over to see what the problem was, to which she replied this black guy is trying to steal gloves. he takes a look at the gloves and says "we dont even sell gloves like this". we paid for our stuff and bounced

to this day i still couldnt tell you where i was exactly. but i dont think ill ever forget that day.... id never been exposed to something like that right in my face before and it just caused me to laugh uncontrollably.

.........5 years ago i was working way deep in the woods in Mississippi. i was with 2 white guys and we stopped for gas at some gas station in the middle of nowhere. i was already looking around because of where i was, on top of that the gas station was like a house/gas station with 3 ZZ top looking older white men sitting on the front porch in rocking chairs.

so we go in, get a few items, and take them to the counter. the place was a family business and 2 teenage girls were ringing us up. when they got to the last item one of the girls pointed to a pair of gloves sticking out of my pocket and proceeds to ring them up. im like "nah, these were mine already, i brought them in". she said "no, you're trying to steal them". 
eek.gif
roll.gif

i was so shocked that i couldnt deny it because i was literally doubled over laughing out loud and couldnt gather myself enough to get serious. (what must have been) her father came over to see what the problem was, to which she replied this black guy is trying to steal gloves. he takes a look at the gloves and says "we dont even sell gloves like this". we paid for our stuff and bounced

to this day i still couldnt tell you where i was exactly. but i dont think ill ever forget that day.... id never been exposed to something like that right in my face before and it just caused me to laugh uncontrollably.

racism/ignorance

-Back in middle school, this white kid straight up called me a "$%%@%" to get some lulz from his buddies
30t6p3b.gif

-I was walking in Center City Philadelphia and this older white business man looked at me laughed asked if I knew kung fu and said that I should be in a kung fu movie
because I looked like I "belonged" in a kung fu/Bruce Lee movie... and this was at 10 o clock in the morning
grin.gif

It's always "I look like bruce lee, jackie chan, manny pacquiao, etc..."  or if I know a martial art
I'm a 6'1" Filipino with long hair and look nothing like Manny Pacquiao, though I did get a "You look like the dude from Ninja Assassin" recently which I guess works since hair length is a bout the same

racism/ignorance

-Back in middle school, this white kid straight up called me a "$%%@%" to get some lulz from his buddies
30t6p3b.gif

-I was walking in Center City Philadelphia and this older white business man looked at me laughed asked if I knew kung fu and said that I should be in a kung fu movie
because I looked like I "belonged" in a kung fu/Bruce Lee movie... and this was at 10 o clock in the morning
grin.gif

It's always "I look like bruce lee, jackie chan, manny pacquiao, etc..."  or if I know a martial art
I'm a 6'1" Filipino with long hair and look nothing like Manny Pacquiao, though I did get a "You look like the dude from Ninja Assassin" recently which I guess works since hair length is a bout the same

In Wal-Mart in a suburb of Boston, MA when I was 15.

The airline lost my luggage, so we went to get the essentials & all that.

I was with my aunt & grandmother.

We're about to leave, there's a white family in front of us, they walk out.

We walk out & the security person goes in front of us & said he "heard" the alarm go off, it never wet off.

The white family heard it & told him it didn't go off when we left or when they left, either.

White guy tried to say we stole something...basically, 'cause we were black. SMH.

In Wal-Mart in a suburb of Boston, MA when I was 15.

The airline lost my luggage, so we went to get the essentials & all that.

I was with my aunt & grandmother.

We're about to leave, there's a white family in front of us, they walk out.

We walk out & the security person goes in front of us & said he "heard" the alarm go off, it never wet off.

The white family heard it & told him it didn't go off when we left or when they left, either.

White guy tried to say we stole something...basically, 'cause we were black. SMH.

Originally Posted by sneakaholic4life

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by Dakingii

I wish people would know the difference between prejudice, discrimination, racism, and being stereotyped though

racism: involves a lot of untrue and offensive things about anotha race
discrimination: isolating or separating yourself from someone of anotha race under pretext that you will be doin yourself a big disfavor by associatin wit em 

stereotype: something negative or positive which is often true or proven about a large number of people of a certain race, causing one to assume that all persons of that race share that trait 

prejudice: uneducated, provocative and often malicious thoughts or words towards anotha race 
Can't tell if serious.
indifferent.gif
 wuts so hard to tell bout how serious I was, its not like I used one of these 
laugh.gif

happy.gif
roll.gif

some of your definitions are not accurate, that's probably why

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by Dakingii

I wish people would know the difference between prejudice, discrimination, racism, and being stereotyped though

racism: involves a lot of untrue and offensive things about anotha race
discrimination: isolating or separating yourself from someone of anotha race under pretext that you will be doin yourself a big disfavor by associatin wit em 

stereotype: something negative or positive which is often true or proven about a large number of people of a certain race, causing one to assume that all persons of that race share that trait 

prejudice: uneducated, provocative and often malicious thoughts or words towards anotha race 
Can't tell if serious.
indifferent.gif
 wuts so hard to tell bout how serious I was, its not like I used one of these 
laugh.gif

happy.gif
roll.gif

some of your definitions are not accurate, that's probably why

Originally Posted by Twilight24xJet

racism/ignorance

30t6p3b.gif

grin.gif

im not so sure the martial arts thing is racism.  to me (asian myself) its kinduva harmless stereotype if anything.  i've actually seen it work in someone's favor before. 

a buddy of mine (asian fella) got arrested for possession for that white so they took him to the downtown long beach mens jail for processing.  when he got there the cop asked him if he wanted to go with the blacks or the hispanics.  he chose to go with the black population.  granted he was only there for bout 48 hours before we posted bail for him, but he said the black guys in there couldn't have been nicer.  as soon as he got in, they were buddyin up to him, tellin him bout how they were gonna rumble with the mexicans and were tellin him how they were happy to have a dude that knows kung fu on their side (even though he had no martial arts training at all).

Originally Posted by Twilight24xJet

racism/ignorance

30t6p3b.gif

grin.gif

im not so sure the martial arts thing is racism.  to me (asian myself) its kinduva harmless stereotype if anything.  i've actually seen it work in someone's favor before. 

a buddy of mine (asian fella) got arrested for possession for that white so they took him to the downtown long beach mens jail for processing.  when he got there the cop asked him if he wanted to go with the blacks or the hispanics.  he chose to go with the black population.  granted he was only there for bout 48 hours before we posted bail for him, but he said the black guys in there couldn't have been nicer.  as soon as he got in, they were buddyin up to him, tellin him bout how they were gonna rumble with the mexicans and were tellin him how they were happy to have a dude that knows kung fu on their side (even though he had no martial arts training at all).

My sister & cousin attended a private HS. My cousin played football so I went to attend their homecoming game, I was an 8th grader at the time. Some douche threw a cup of piss at me and my cousin's younger brother while my mother stood next to us & the cup missed us & hit her, calling us N's & turf heads, saying that their team should use our heads as a field, although my mother was half indian with long hair, my cousin half mexican, & me having a nice grain of hair similar to that of some mixed folks.

back tracking a little bit but My mother moved from DC to Ohio attended Ohio State Univ when I was just starting elementary school & we lived in a semi public housing community owned by OSU called Buckeye Village where most older foreign students & other African American students with families lived. We were not served in some restaurants & denied service in other stores. They allowed the KKK to march through this housing community many times per yr, seemingly to cheaply attempt to coerce many of us to leave the institution & better more leave Ohio for good. My mother studied Animal Psych at OSu & worked with chimps, & many times during her research labs there she was referred to as "looking the same as the chimps caged at the institution" or told that she must have screwed someone to have even gotten into OSU, & to be 29 at the time with 2 children & no husband she was referred to as a @@##$. My mother was raped by a white man when she was 14 walking to a bus stop coming home from a school play recital, resulting in me having an older sister whom was raised by her aunt so that she could have an attempt at living a "normal childhood/teen life".

My mother said out of all the things she has been through, many not even listed that was the most degrading thing she has ever been through next to the rape..

I have a billion stories i can share, some that i've experienced, some that my white friends have experience, latino friends asian friends..

bottom line racism sucks but it's all in how you persevere through prejudice/racist/stereotypical incidents that builds your character. As many folks said you have to take these ppl with a grain of salt, chuckle at their ignorance and continue to live your life.

My sister & cousin attended a private HS. My cousin played football so I went to attend their homecoming game, I was an 8th grader at the time. Some douche threw a cup of piss at me and my cousin's younger brother while my mother stood next to us & the cup missed us & hit her, calling us N's & turf heads, saying that their team should use our heads as a field, although my mother was half indian with long hair, my cousin half mexican, & me having a nice grain of hair similar to that of some mixed folks.

back tracking a little bit but My mother moved from DC to Ohio attended Ohio State Univ when I was just starting elementary school & we lived in a semi public housing community owned by OSU called Buckeye Village where most older foreign students & other African American students with families lived. We were not served in some restaurants & denied service in other stores. They allowed the KKK to march through this housing community many times per yr, seemingly to cheaply attempt to coerce many of us to leave the institution & better more leave Ohio for good. My mother studied Animal Psych at OSu & worked with chimps, & many times during her research labs there she was referred to as "looking the same as the chimps caged at the institution" or told that she must have screwed someone to have even gotten into OSU, & to be 29 at the time with 2 children & no husband she was referred to as a @@##$. My mother was raped by a white man when she was 14 walking to a bus stop coming home from a school play recital, resulting in me having an older sister whom was raised by her aunt so that she could have an attempt at living a "normal childhood/teen life".

My mother said out of all the things she has been through, many not even listed that was the most degrading thing she has ever been through next to the rape..

I have a billion stories i can share, some that i've experienced, some that my white friends have experience, latino friends asian friends..

bottom line racism sucks but it's all in how you persevere through prejudice/racist/stereotypical incidents that builds your character. As many folks said you have to take these ppl with a grain of salt, chuckle at their ignorance and continue to live your life.

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

I am a Nigerian immigrant, so I stayed getting asked if I rode lions or was the prince of Africa.

This isn't racism, this is funny.
laugh.gif
 I would've asked that to anyone who said they were from Nigeria, regardless of skin color.

That's not funny, it's ignorant.

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

I am a Nigerian immigrant, so I stayed getting asked if I rode lions or was the prince of Africa.

This isn't racism, this is funny.
laugh.gif
 I would've asked that to anyone who said they were from Nigeria, regardless of skin color.

What do you think ignorant means?

And I didn't ask if it was funny, I stated it. Something being funny isn't fact, it's an opinion...and in my opinion, it's funny.

What do you think ignorant means?

And I didn't ask if it was funny, I stated it. Something being funny isn't fact, it's an opinion...and in my opinion, it's funny.

once in junior high i blocked this white kid's shot in basketball he proceeded to yell "god damn n-----r"
i was so perpelexed  i did not know what action to take

This one goth kid was always reading nazi books and constantly do the nazi salute and would scream "white power"

this one "white rapper"  in highschool would keep say the N word  now why he would do that i don't know ?but i could n't beat him up coz there was a 3 suspension rule in my school and i was already on two ..

the past two neighborhoods that i have moved into have white people in them ,like no monorities whatsoever not even mixed  people and they constantly use the "N" word constantly
i've even heard  them say i hate "N" /black people

this one time in university i was late for class so i didn not sit in my regular seat  so i sat on a table with white folks on it, they were talking about atms i was not even interacting with them but for some reason a girl in the group felt the need to point at me and say "you are going to rob us" her reasoining was becuase i was just sitting there not talking to them they  assumed i was going to rob them

these are just some examples of situations that have left  severely bad taste in my mouth ,sometimes i wonder what if the hatred that white people project towards others was the way others approached them ?I think this approach might yeild more results for people like myself?no?

once in junior high i blocked this white kid's shot in basketball he proceeded to yell "god damn n-----r"
i was so perpelexed  i did not know what action to take

This one goth kid was always reading nazi books and constantly do the nazi salute and would scream "white power"

this one "white rapper"  in highschool would keep say the N word  now why he would do that i don't know ?but i could n't beat him up coz there was a 3 suspension rule in my school and i was already on two ..

the past two neighborhoods that i have moved into have white people in them ,like no monorities whatsoever not even mixed  people and they constantly use the "N" word constantly
i've even heard  them say i hate "N" /black people

this one time in university i was late for class so i didn not sit in my regular seat  so i sat on a table with white folks on it, they were talking about atms i was not even interacting with them but for some reason a girl in the group felt the need to point at me and say "you are going to rob us" her reasoining was becuase i was just sitting there not talking to them they  assumed i was going to rob them

these are just some examples of situations that have left  severely bad taste in my mouth ,sometimes i wonder what if the hatred that white people project towards others was the way others approached them ?I think this approach might yeild more results for people like myself?no?

reading through some of these stories just reminds me of my past

i'll just say a few

i remember i had jury duty...we were working on a drug case...dudes sold cocaine. anyway me and one other chick there were the only people there of a Latino background. the rest were white. I'm Dominican....and the person caught selling was Dominican as well i believe. so someone in the jury goes..."this is all dominican people come and do in our country. sell drugs to our people." i was like....did this person really just say this $@+# ? -_- i was about to spaz out thankfully everyone was like yo that was out of line and we ended up taking a lunch break to cool the tension.

another time i was leaving macy's. I was walking towards the exit door which goes towards the parking lot so I can go to my car. As I'm walking towards the door, some white lady comes from the right hand side with a couple kids. We both make it to the exit at the same time...I hold the door for her to get out. This chick dead dropped her keys right in front of me while she get's out the door just to make sure I walk ahead of her. SMH I was so tight. Cause it was so obvious she thought I was going to rob her. I dont know I felt so disrespected. I just looked at her dead in her eyes and shook my head. She knew I knew why she dropped her keys. I just walked to my door like damn why are people so racist?

to be honest...racism happens so much that I just ignore it. but both of the events that I typed, happened within the last year. the one in macy's really was the one that had me the most frustrated though

reading through some of these stories just reminds me of my past

i'll just say a few

i remember i had jury duty...we were working on a drug case...dudes sold cocaine. anyway me and one other chick there were the only people there of a Latino background. the rest were white. I'm Dominican....and the person caught selling was Dominican as well i believe. so someone in the jury goes..."this is all dominican people come and do in our country. sell drugs to our people." i was like....did this person really just say this $@+# ? -_- i was about to spaz out thankfully everyone was like yo that was out of line and we ended up taking a lunch break to cool the tension.

another time i was leaving macy's. I was walking towards the exit door which goes towards the parking lot so I can go to my car. As I'm walking towards the door, some white lady comes from the right hand side with a couple kids. We both make it to the exit at the same time...I hold the door for her to get out. This chick dead dropped her keys right in front of me while she get's out the door just to make sure I walk ahead of her. SMH I was so tight. Cause it was so obvious she thought I was going to rob her. I dont know I felt so disrespected. I just looked at her dead in her eyes and shook my head. She knew I knew why she dropped her keys. I just walked to my door like damn why are people so racist?

to be honest...racism happens so much that I just ignore it. but both of the events that I typed, happened within the last year. the one in macy's really was the one that had me the most frustrated though

I can't tell you how many time I get tailed in stores and people walk a little faster when they get close to me on the street...I've learned to laugh it off and speed up sometimes just for laughs

I'm pretty impressed by how civil this thread has been so far. Keep it up guys...

Back
Top Bottom