Question About Pit Bulls (former fighting dog)

so this is what came to our home this morning:

167597_1668551206179_1609298660_1480037_2321683_n.jpg

168417_1669182621964_1609298660_1481041_3417347_n.jpg

you need to see this thing up close.  it's mutha-effin DIESEL
eek.gif
.  anyway, we're nursing it back to health and it's chillin in our garage.  it's the nicest dog you could ever meet.  our friend is a pro pit trainer (he enters them into shows, socializes them, etc) and he checked it out physically and his professional judgment is that if he were us he'd keep the dog.  he says that it was definetely a dog bred to fight and breed (it's not fixed).  judging from the scars on its neck and torn ears, it was dumped.  it played w/ the kids and is really a great dog.  so my question is:  can this dog have a flashback someday and go crazy?  we plan to take it to training and get it's papers, but is this a safe animal to keep?

thanks in advance for your imput.

so this is what came to our home this morning:

167597_1668551206179_1609298660_1480037_2321683_n.jpg

168417_1669182621964_1609298660_1481041_3417347_n.jpg

you need to see this thing up close.  it's mutha-effin DIESEL
eek.gif
.  anyway, we're nursing it back to health and it's chillin in our garage.  it's the nicest dog you could ever meet.  our friend is a pro pit trainer (he enters them into shows, socializes them, etc) and he checked it out physically and his professional judgment is that if he were us he'd keep the dog.  he says that it was definetely a dog bred to fight and breed (it's not fixed).  judging from the scars on its neck and torn ears, it was dumped.  it played w/ the kids and is really a great dog.  so my question is:  can this dog have a flashback someday and go crazy?  we plan to take it to training and get it's papers, but is this a safe animal to keep?

thanks in advance for your imput.

Man some say they will.... others say they wont.... Honestly I love dogs especially pits and I would hate to be put in that kind of situation. I don't believe any dogs should be treated that way NO MATTER. The hard thing is after they have been trained to do that for so long its hard to know if something will just trigger their aggression and then it could be curtains (especially if you have kids)....

On the other hand. EVERY DOG that Mike Vick had at ranch has been adopted out to loving families, many with children. I remember sports illustrated doing a piece on them back around the time he was in jail.

Good luck man if u keep him you should let NT name him

Man some say they will.... others say they wont.... Honestly I love dogs especially pits and I would hate to be put in that kind of situation. I don't believe any dogs should be treated that way NO MATTER. The hard thing is after they have been trained to do that for so long its hard to know if something will just trigger their aggression and then it could be curtains (especially if you have kids)....

On the other hand. EVERY DOG that Mike Vick had at ranch has been adopted out to loving families, many with children. I remember sports illustrated doing a piece on them back around the time he was in jail.

Good luck man if u keep him you should let NT name him

@snakaprince: that's a good idea actually. we've named all of out pets after hip-hop artists being j dilla or related to dilla (ex: my cat's name is 'dilla' and the other cat is 'thelonious'). i went w/ 'doom' for now (after mf doom), but something's hitting that karma button and i'm rethinking that name. if we keep him, i'll definitely let nt name him.

@snakaprince: that's a good idea actually. we've named all of out pets after hip-hop artists being j dilla or related to dilla (ex: my cat's name is 'dilla' and the other cat is 'thelonious'). i went w/ 'doom' for now (after mf doom), but something's hitting that karma button and i'm rethinking that name. if we keep him, i'll definitely let nt name him.

Very handsome dog bro... I would call it a sign I guess, treat him right and he'll be loyal and never betray you. Me and my girl like to volunteer at shelters a lot, it's so sad how people will look at the dog, and be like "Wow he/she is adorable! Let's adopt him/her" the dog is licking their hands and wagging his/her tail everywhere...  but as soon as they look up and see that it's a Pitt Bull or mixed with one, they're like "Oh nevermind, they're dangerous!" and just leave them.

30t6p3b.gif
I hate people.

Very handsome dog bro... I would call it a sign I guess, treat him right and he'll be loyal and never betray you. Me and my girl like to volunteer at shelters a lot, it's so sad how people will look at the dog, and be like "Wow he/she is adorable! Let's adopt him/her" the dog is licking their hands and wagging his/her tail everywhere...  but as soon as they look up and see that it's a Pitt Bull or mixed with one, they're like "Oh nevermind, they're dangerous!" and just leave them.

30t6p3b.gif
I hate people.

Originally Posted by sneakaprince

my bro has been fostering one of these dogs up until about a week ago.  she was a great dog.  luckily for us, the adopters live like 30 minutes away so we might be able to go visit her from time to time.

edit* i posted this pic before, but idk if anyone actually saw it
laugh.gif
shes the smaller one with the red collar

11gj7zm.jpg

Originally Posted by sneakaprince

my bro has been fostering one of these dogs up until about a week ago.  she was a great dog.  luckily for us, the adopters live like 30 minutes away so we might be able to go visit her from time to time.

edit* i posted this pic before, but idk if anyone actually saw it
laugh.gif
shes the smaller one with the red collar

11gj7zm.jpg

It's very rare, dogs have the ability to damn near start over. Pit Bulls that are trained to fight are almost NEVER human aggressive but when they see other dogs they can go off. The reason why they fight so hard is because they're desperately seeking approval and love from their owner. Very loyal and sweet dogs. So you and the family will be fine, give it plenty of love and over time she'll be fine. I suggest getting her fixed, it's better for their health and she should have a longer life because of it. Beautiful markings

It's very rare, dogs have the ability to damn near start over. Pit Bulls that are trained to fight are almost NEVER human aggressive but when they see other dogs they can go off. The reason why they fight so hard is because they're desperately seeking approval and love from their owner. Very loyal and sweet dogs. So you and the family will be fine, give it plenty of love and over time she'll be fine. I suggest getting her fixed, it's better for their health and she should have a longer life because of it. Beautiful markings

^thats actually one of the issues with the dog my bro fostered. i guess every time she saw a smaller animal she would start growling and get ready to attack. it was even worse with smaller girl dogs. apparently, thats how vick trained her (to attack smaller dogs).

^thats actually one of the issues with the dog my bro fostered. i guess every time she saw a smaller animal she would start growling and get ready to attack. it was even worse with smaller girl dogs. apparently, thats how vick trained her (to attack smaller dogs).

unfortunately because of the state this dog is in, we don't have any HAPPY pix of the dog, but here is what we have found.  i didn't take the mike vick thing seriously because i didn't care.  but it hits home when you have a product of something related right in your arms.  pix courtesy of my wife whom the dog has taken to mostly:

179230_1669234463260_1609298660_1481115_1293798_n.jpg

167319_1669232743217_1609298660_1481112_2209050_n.jpg

179672_1669231223179_1609298660_1481108_4468906_n.jpg

168937_1669224583013_1609298660_1481093_1947404_n.jpg

169021_1669223902996_1609298660_1481091_7599810_n.jpg

167042_1668569046625_1609298660_1480061_7724301_n.jpg

^^pardon the jacket on him but it's all we have for him.  he was shivering (lower 40's in phoenix, az this morning).  borrowed the coat from out female pit/german Shepard mix.

Back
Top Bottom