\\ Post Your Car vol. Been a minute //

Awd for one?

f sport vs f car is a big price difference. :lol:

take a gti and golf r and compare the price, now put 1k into the gtr and you’re gaping golf r’s. Different strokes for different folks.

I just don't get why if you are a car guy you would get a "M"235i and not a true M car. If you want the bmw performance experience don't half step , used M2 are competitively priced.

At the end of the day as long as you're happy with the car that's all that matters but if I am buying a M or ANY I'm getting a real one not the rich girl one. But as I'm typing this I realize I don't even know the price of the m235i versus the price of a used M2 , so am I missing it are they that much of a price difference?

I feel the same way about Dodge, I don't even like hellcat but if I were to get a dodge I would pay 50k for a lightly used before I paid 45k for a scat pack. Same with lexus F sport package vs a true F car etc etc
There’s a ton of reasons why people don’t want to go the full performance route. For some people they don’t care for all that performance so the m performance cars strike a sweet spot for most. I’m in that boat myself as I’m thinking of getting the 340i as my next car. I could go up to the M3 but I don’t need the power since I would never be able to get the most out of it on the road anyways. They also come with a stiffer suspension set up making it a little harder to daily drive if it’s your only car

Awd for one?

f sport vs f car is a big price difference. :lol:

take a gti and golf r and compare the price, now put 1k into the gtr and you’re gaping golf r’s. Different strokes for different folks.
You are correct different strokes, I just don't see the purpose in badging a car if it isn't. I have no experience in the golf world so I am not aware of the price difference. So for example what are you getting with the rc350 fsport package? And how much is it compared to a RC F?

There’s a ton of reasons why people don’t want to go the full performance route. For some people they don’t care for all that performance so the m performance cars strike a sweet spot for most. I’m in that boat myself as I’m thinking of getting the 340i as my next car. I could go up to the M3 but I don’t need the power since I would never be able to get the most out of it on the road anyways. They also come with a stiffer suspension set up making it a little harder to daily drive if it’s your only car
I understand where you are coming from but you said you were looking at a 340i not a M340i ( if there is such a thing) so that change the logic of my post. My understanding is the M340i would be sportier meaning the suspension would be stiffer.

I'm not trying to come off as augrumentative but just wanting a conversation about the mindset "rich girl first car" buyers

You are correct different strokes, I just don't see the purpose in badging a car if it isn't. I have no experience in the golf world so I am not aware of the price difference. So for example what are you getting with the rc350 fsport package? And how much is it compared to a RC F?

what’s a used rc350 f sport? Like 30k tops? F sport is an appearance package pretty much.

RC F is a whole different class. They are marketed to different demographics. Rc350 f sport is just for someone who wants a reliable grand tourer that doesn’t want to look like a grandpa.

you can get a brand new gti for 25k a golf r is hitting for 40k minimum. They got the same motor... that’s 15k to throw into the motor.

what’s a used rc350 f sport? Like 30k tops? F sport is an appearance package pretty much.

RC F is a whole different class. They are marketed to different demographics. Rc350 f sport is just for someone who wants a reliable grand tourer that doesn’t want to look like a grandpa.

you can get a brand new gti for 25k a golf r is hitting for 40k minimum. They got the same motor... that’s 15k to throw into the motor.
Gti and golf r have the same motor? Why was I thinking gti was turbo 4 and R was a V6? Maybe that was for the older model years? But also is it only one aspect that turns a gti into an R? Since u said 15k into the motor

Anyway, cool thanks for the info, like it was said earlier , different strokes.

Same motor bigger turbo in the R and AWD.

the old ones had a vr6. One of the best motors ever made IMO. I had a gti with a vr6 and that thing sounded like Godzilla screaming through tunnels. Wasn’t that powerful but the 12v screamed and were reliable.

I just don't get why if you are a car guy you would get a "M"235i and not a true M car. If you want the bmw performance experience don't half step , used M2 are competitively priced.

At the end of the day as long as you're happy with the car that's all that matters but if I am buying a M or ANY I'm getting a real one not the rich girl one. But as I'm typing this I realize I don't even know the price of the m235i versus the price of a used M2 , so am I missing it are they that much of a price difference?

I feel the same way about Dodge, I don't even like hellcat but if I were to get a dodge I would pay 50k for a lightly used before I paid 45k for a scat pack. Same with lexus F sport package vs a true F car etc etc
The non “true m” cars like m340 m550, and Audi s cars, and the Amg 43 etc. are all stilll great cars. I don’t think I’d classify them as “rich girl cars” but whatever. It’s not like they r just run of the mill cars.

I understand where you are coming from but you said you were looking at a 340i not a M340i ( if there is such a thing) so that change the logic of my post. My understanding is the M340i would be sportier meaning the suspension would be stiffer.

I'm not trying to come off as augrumentative but just wanting a conversation about the mindset "rich girl first car" buyers
Yeah you don’t know what the m340 m550 m40 etc are. They are much more than just a stiffer suspension and appearance upgrades.

Nah I meant the M340i in my post I just didn’t forgot to put the M in there :lol:

Yeah you don’t know what the m340 m550 m40 etc are. They are much more than just a stiffer suspension and appearance upgrades.
Okay but what you just posted just backs up my post. If you are not buying a real M car because the ride is too harsh or there's too much power then why would you get one that is a base car with M performance features?

I'm genuinely curious since you say they are much more, for instance some cars have options on the sport packages that are not available on base models like for example adaptive cruise control, so for that purpose only I would understand.

Okay but what you just posted just backs up my post. If you are not buying a real M car because the ride is too harsh or there's too much power then why would you get one that is a base car with M performance features?

I'm genuinely curious since you say they are much more, for instance some cars have options on the sport packages that are not available on base models like for example adaptive cruise control, so for that purpose only I would understand.
They are M cars though, just not full M cars. It is like Audi S is to RS, or Amg 43 is to Amg 63. They are not base cars with a few features. They have better engines, interiors, everything than the base cars, just not as aggressive as a full M. I personally love that bmw Audi and mb are all offering these trims across ever model almost. It’s a sweet spot, for some people a full M or an Amg 63 May be a bit too aggressive to dd and a base model much too tame. These cars fit in between where they are all much faster (I think all of them are at least 5 sec 0-60) and fun than the base models but not as crazy as the big guys.

The non “true m” cars like m340 m550, and Audi s cars, and the Amg 43 etc. are all stilll great cars. I don’t think I’d classify them as “rich girl cars” but whatever. It’s not like they r just run of the mill cars.
I never said they were weren't good cars , never implied they were bad cars. I just think the term " rich girl first car" came about because it's somebody that doesn't know a thing about cars but knows the badge so that's the one they one. At least that's how I interpreted it, if a rich girl just sees a Benz or BMW etc etc with said performance badge ( amg or ///M ) that is what she would want over just a base BMW ( which is still a nice car.

So my question was if you don't want a real M car because it is too stiff and has more power than you would need why get a M235i, M340i etc etc since you said it is more than an appearance package vs a base 235i 340i

Where I agree with your logic is the m850i vs M8 ..... my wife would love a M8 but I see the m850i as a better options because of the class of car

They are M cars though, just not full M cars. It is like Audi S is to RS, or Amg 43 is to Amg 63. They are not base cars with a few features. They have better engines, interiors, everything than the base cars, just not as aggressive as a full M. I personally love that bmw Audi and mb are all offering these trims across ever model almost. It’s a sweet spot, for some people a full M or an Amg 63 May be a bit too aggressive to dd and a base model much too tame. These cars fit in between where they are all much faster (I think all of them are at least 5 sec 0-60) and fun than the base models but not as crazy as the big guys.
Fair enough , I understand that all brands ( especially European cars) are doing the in between stuff I'm just not a fan. I don't consider them M cars if it isn't a true M. But I do have to admit I have a soft spot in my heart for the E53 coupe....I just just never own it lol.

Also to the point of you saying that there are M cars just not true in cars goes against what a true M car is. The M3 was made to track on the weekend and daily drive the other 5 days . It is the best compromise you will find so if that's too hard for you then the M badge isn't for you. Just my opinion of course but that's the same thing with making a 2 series grand coupe lol. You are buying a 2 series for its compact lightweight size, if you need 4 doors move up to a 3 series , why get a grand coupe 2 series .

Btw just talking out loud, don't want to get ppl panties in a bunch just having a discussion.

Last edited:
Same motor bigger turbo in the R and AWD.

the old ones had a vr6. One of the best motors ever made IMO. I had a gti with a vr6 and that thing sounded like Godzilla screaming through tunnels. Wasn’t that powerful but the 12v screamed and were reliable.
what.gif

Maybe for a Volkswagen:lol:

if you do the research you would know that when the m2 first came out with the n55 motors the m235i's were basically offering very similar performance for way cheaper which made the m235i a smarter buy
pretty much out performing every car in its category :lol: now the m2's use the same M motors as the m3s and offer more performance so its another story...

440i Gran Coupe with M Performance parts is probably the best beamer when it comes to practicality, looks, and performance all in one.

1584232934433.jpeg

1584233081159.jpeg

agree with all the points above about the middle trim cars. but something about those m3/4's with the flared fenders is just so sexy

the M8 and the M850 is exactly the case everyone else is making with “True” M cars and MSport/M cars. Sure I wouldnt mind an M8 and can afford it but I don’t need all that power so I am opting for the M850 which is more than adequate. I don’t think I’m going with an M6 anymore btw even though I love em still.

oh yeah good choice on the vehicle kingfoamnyc kingfoamnyc and leasing as well.

the M8 and the M850 is exactly the case everyone else is making with “True” M cars and MSport/M cars. Sure I wouldnt mind an M8 and can afford it but I don’t need all that power so I am opting for the M850 which is more than adequate. I don’t think I’m going with an M6 anymore btw even though I love em still.

there is a reason why I use that car specifically as an example. I stated that is the only car I would get the m850i instead of the true M8 and that is because of the class the 8 series is in. M8 doesn't make much since because it is a luxury car with performance, that is a completely different class than the 2 series which is more a sports car.

Imagine if BMW listened to the "car guys" in here :lol:
Watching reviews I'm kinda getting sick of those types with their opinions on where the brand should go and what change they don't like when they've never purchased a car, or if they did it's like a 30 yr old model. That's like someone with a ps one whining about what's going on with the ps5.

That 4 gran coupe does look good with the m performance mods though.

damb... passin on the m6 one of the nicest looking m cars of recent

Back
Top Bottom