OVERRATED MOVIES? *flamesuits must be worn beyond this point*

no country for old men

he just walked around and killed people...**** got boring after a while

The whole Pixar post is straight blasphemy!

I also thought was Scarface was overrated.

Last edited:
Didnt see it mentioned, but Scarface is probably the most overrated movie ever.

It's been mentioned numerous times :lol:

I'm still curious as to why y'all think it's overrated tho

Acting from everyone in he film is mediocre

Pacinos fake Cuban accent was absolutely terrible

Poorly written dialogue with virtually no realistic person to person interaction.

Very little character development. As Tony moves up from nothing to becoming the Kingpin, he still remains the same egotistical cartoon of a person the entire film.. There is even less backstory and development for everyone else in the movie. There are huge gaps and they dont even bother to explain how his wife goes from hating him to being married to him.

Full of cheesy one liners that sound like their straight out of a Schwarzenegger film.

That damn synthesized sound effect whenever they do a closeup shot of Tony feeling some kind of way... Its like something out of a terrible b-grade monster movie. Like wtf ? :rofl: Absolutely comical.

Scarface is quite possibly the most overrated movie ever.... I can appreciate the rags to riches aspect, but the storytelling itself is awful. I really think most people say they like just because they think its the cool thing to say.

Cars 2 was Pixar's worst movie.

Monsters, Inc. is a classic and one of their best.

How do you not like Scareface. The story of a poor immigrant that takes the American dream and capitalism to its logical conclusion, ultimate paranoia and alienation from everyone, family, friends and your self. The 80 Miami vice gave the film a beautiful look. the one track mind (success at all cost) and machismo of Tony Montana exemplified the tragedy if unbridled ambitious....

Plus Tony was a ******g G.

Last edited:
there wasn't any story though, no real development,  he got off the boat, did one job, is suddenly the big bosses right hand man...

there wasn't any story though, no real development,  he got off the boat, did one job, is suddenly the big bosses right hand man...

See you missed it. The film lapsed time. The only way out of that village was through corruption. He had to take a 'job' to get his papers. Then he worked at the hotdog stand for 3 months, asking around for his 'shot.' Then, through hustle, cleverness and pure ambition he made all the right moves and grinded his way to the top. Took a **** boy job and flipped it into a sit down with the area boss, grinder it out as his right hand til he met the boss boss, then he got to ambitious...

Now I'm convinced the people saying they didn't like it didn't watch it and are more speaking that as a reaction to everyone else's love for it...I.e hate.

and we barely saw any of that really fleshed out in the movie it's done in little blips

it's hard to appreciate his rise when you don't really get to see much grinding or evolution of the character

Last edited:
There Will Be Blood....

Jumped around from year to year and when doing that, you really need to connect the storyline to foster character development, TWBB did not do that.

Daniel went from a gritty frontiersman, to an ambitious entrepreneur to a raving lunatic with no real impetuses or backstory to nail home those changes.

The movie score was screeching and took away from the immersion. The sound effects were very good but the music was terrible. I wished I was deaf like his son at times, while watching this film.

Speaking of his son, he was a more engaging character than Daniel, imo. We got to see him develop and I was more attached to him than Daniel, who had no backstory and went from brilliant to maniacal. His character was just plain stupid to me.

The movie dragged on waaaay too long. The cinematography was great in the beginning, then it started feeling like showing off. 30 seconds clips of Daniel just sitting around.

The writing was amazing, I'll give it that but I would have enjoyed this story more in book form.

Just an overall unsatisfying and overrated cinematic experience for me.

Like I said in the movie thread, "The Assassination of Jesse James..." did many of the things this movie tried to do in a much better way.

Last edited:

See you missed it. The film lapsed time. The only way out of that village was through corruption. He had to take a 'job' to get his papers. Then he worked at the hotdog stand for 3 months, asking around for his 'shot.' Then, through hustle, cleverness and pure ambition he made all the right moves and grinded his way to the top. Took a **** boy job and flipped it into a sit down with the area boss, grinder it out as his right hand til he met the boss boss, then he got to ambitious...

Now I'm convinced the people saying they didn't like it didn't watch it and are more speaking that as a reaction to everyone else's love for it...I.e hate.

Ill post this again..... Scarface is quite possibly the most overrated movie ever.... I can appreciate the rags to riches aspect, but the storytelling and film-making itself is downright awful.

Acting from everyone in he film is mediocre

Pacinos fake Cuban accent was absolutely terrible

Poorly written dialogue with virtually no realistic person to person interaction.

Very little character development. As Tony moves up from nothing to becoming the Kingpin, he still remains the same egotistical cartoon of a person the entire film.. There is even less backstory and development for everyone else in the movie. There are huge gaps and they dont even bother to explain how his wife goes from hating him to being married to him.

Full of cheesy one liners that sound like their straight out of a Schwarzenegger film.

That damn synthesized sound effect whenever they do a closeup shot of Tony feeling some kind of way... Its like something out of a terrible b-grade monster movie. Like wtf ? roll.gif Absolutely comical.

Agreed. Scarface was brutal. I actually think some of the GTA plots and dialogue are better.

My main gripe with The Dark Knight is that it goes for about 25 mins too long
This I literally started getting ready to leave thinking it was over like 3 different times.  All the dark knight trilogy to me was ok. Not all the hype in my opinion.

Tripping on pixar though. They made so many classics and I don't think any of them are overrated. Some sequels should have never happened but most pixar movies Ive seen were rated appropriately.

Some sequels should have never happened but most pixar movies Ive seen were rated appropriately.
But we still haven't gotten a sequel for The Incredibles, it ended on a cliffhanger too. 
mean.gif

serious question do you all think Scarface could successfully be remade?
probably not, the first one is the same story but centered around prohibition in Chicago

i'd be interested in seeing it redone that way still set in the 20's, but there have been plenty movies about that and we have Boardwalk Empire

when Tony get his hands on the machine gun 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom