"OTHER BRAND" - RUNNING shoe thread - asics, saucony, new balance, hoka one one, adidas, reebok, brooks, altra, skechers, etc...

So the Mach 4 is Hoka’s Turbo?
Pretty much. From the side it looks like a 50/50 split between the foams. It's not. It's mostly cushy and responsive profly foam. The stiff, rubberized one is merely a 1/4" thick cradle of sorts with the profly foam filling up the rest inside that area.

PXL_20210306_173202721.jpg

PXL_20210306_173242525.jpg
PXL_20210306_173257090.jpg

PXL_20210306_173445232.jpg

PXL_20210306_173539254.jpg
PXL_20210306_173752131.jpg

Had a chance to try out the Li-Ning x Soulland Shadows, i.e., their version of a Carbon-fibre plated training shoe. I say training because multiple plates are banned and this has two. Ridiculously expensive!!

Now to the on-foot experience: Soft and bouncy. I felt like I was sinking and bouncing up in the forefoot. It's responsive and doesn't let me sink too far ahead. Plus the geometry makes it so that you roll forward. Just standing in them I noticed that there's compression in the heel but it doesn't feel overly soft. If you have flat feet, this isn't for you, the carbon fiber plates in the midfoot probably won't be to your liking. BUT, it's not intrusive like the experience on the Nike Infinity React. It feels ok just standing still. The foam is PEBAX and feels like it. I'd liken to the Saucony version of PEBAX more than the Nike version (ZoomX).

Moving is where the shoe really shines. The carbon fiber unit really propels you forward. It doesn't feel like a Vaporfly. The sensation is more like an Alphafly but an Alphafly where the air units are more in the midfoot and less unstable of a bounce. Like, more controlled, and deliberate. There's a serious amount of bounce in this shoe honestly, there's no shoe I've experienced that's like it.

The outsole is fine. It's translucent rubber and the nubs don't feel that deep or rigid. It sucks that it cant be used for racing but multiple carbon fiber units, or carbon fiber units with a structure now are super interesting to me.

Had a chance to try out the Li-Ning x Soulland Shadows, i.e., their version of a Carbon-fibre plated training shoe. I say training because multiple plates are banned and this has two. Ridiculously expensive!!

Now to the on-foot experience: Soft and bouncy. I felt like I was sinking and bouncing up in the forefoot. It's responsive and doesn't let me sink too far ahead. Plus the geometry makes it so that you roll forward. Just standing in them I noticed that there's compression in the heel but it doesn't feel overly soft. If you have flat feet, this isn't for you, the carbon fiber plates in the midfoot probably won't be to your liking. BUT, it's not intrusive like the experience on the Nike Infinity React. It feels ok just standing still. The foam is PEBAX and feels like it. I'd liken to the Saucony version of PEBAX more than the Nike version (ZoomX).

Moving is where the shoe really shines. The carbon fiber unit really propels you forward. It doesn't feel like a Vaporfly. The sensation is more like an Alphafly but an Alphafly where the air units are more in the midfoot and less unstable of a bounce. Like, more controlled, and deliberate. There's a serious amount of bounce in this shoe honestly, there's no shoe I've experienced that's like it.

The outsole is fine. It's translucent rubber and the nubs don't feel that deep or rigid. It sucks that it cant be used for racing but multiple carbon fiber units, or carbon fiber units with a structure now are super interesting to me.
I don’t think you could use them for racing because of the stack height also. That heal looks super high.

For local races I don’t think anyone will care, even if you’re shooting for podium spots. Only banned for official track races. I may be wrong tho.

For local races I don’t think anyone will care, even if you’re shooting for podium spots. Only banned for official track races. I may be wrong tho.

correct, if you’re one of the elites, you won’t be able to use them in a race and if you’re aiming for any road race record to count in the books, these would automatically DQ you from contention as they do not meet the criteria for a “legal” racing shoe

1FE05759-8988-42E3-A298-4012D696D772.gif

correct, if you’re one of the elites, you won’t be able to use them in a race and if you’re aiming for any road race record to count in the books, these would automatically DQ you from contention as they do not meet the criteria for a “legal” racing shoe

Thanks for the confirmation, I was a college athlete but no ellite runner so I don’t care how many plates or how stilt-like the shoes get 😆

I cannot wait to take these out on a long run tomorrow. I ran to the mailbox and there is a really nice response that I don't notice just walking around. Something I didn't realize from pics is that the red stripe is completely reflective.

PXL_20210305_204239384.jpg
When possible, please compare the Mach 4 to the Clifton 7.

Got some new outside shoes in the mail, and have been trying them out yesterday & today while training/playing with my pup. Have around 10 hours in them so far.

I must say these are very comfortable! Has a real nice spring in the step, the Vibram soles were sticky on the wet concrete this morning, & very good traction on the grass, puddles, and what's left of the snow, in Minnesota.
PXL_20210309_181027410.jpg PXL_20210309_180649865.jpg

I was stepping out from the Nike lunar terra arktos that I've had from 2013. I don't believe I worn them too often until 2018 when they became more of a work horse for me. The Speedgoat 2 are much lighter feeling on foot, feel so much more nimble & cushy.

I also had purchased the Inov-8 Roclite Pro G 400 Gore-tex to see which I liked better. The Rocklite seem like fantastic boots, & very also very lightweight, & felt very sturdy, but definitely still felt like a boot. Much more rigid in the midfoot, and not near as much flex. I suppose the 335 is more in the class of the Speedgoat,than the 400. I'd keep them if I needed a more serious hiking boot, but then I'd just have hunting boots to fill that gap.

Got some new outside shoes in the mail, and have been trying them out yesterday & today while training/playing with my pup. Have around 10 hours in them so far.

I must say these are very comfortable! Has a real nice spring in the step, the Vibram soles were sticky on the wet concrete this morning, & very good traction on the grass, puddles, and what's left of the snow, in Minnesota.
PXL_20210309_181027410.jpg PXL_20210309_180649865.jpg

I was stepping out from the Nike lunar terra arktos that I've had from 2013. I don't believe I worn them too often until 2018 when they became more of a work horse for me. The Speedgoat 2 are much lighter feeling on foot, feel so much more nimble & cushy.

I also had purchased the Inov-8 Roclite Pro G 400 Gore-tex to see which I liked better. The Rocklite seem like fantastic boots, & very also very lightweight, & felt very sturdy, but definitely still felt like a boot. Much more rigid in the midfoot, and not near as much flex. I suppose the 335 is more in the class of the Speedgoat,than the 400. I'd keep them if I needed a more serious hiking boot, but then I'd just have hunting boots to fill that gap.
Speedgoats are one of my favorite and most worn shoes.

Back
Top Bottom