Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Can we talk about an actor who three years ago was supposed to be the next huge/breakout actor in Hollywood (many people in this thread and in general said that), ... but proceeded to barely be heard of from there on out?

Jeremy Renner.

Lets check out his resume...

Starred in the Hurt Locker (despite your view on that movie, he was great), superb supporting actor The Town.. had everyone excited about his arrival as one of the possible big dogs in Hollywood.

Then :lol:

Bourne Legacy (awesome trilogy tries to recapture the magic, falls flat on its face, impresses nobody, barely gets 50% on RT)
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunter (17% on RT)
MI4 (where he put forth an acting performance that was absolutely lifeless)
Avengers (did anyone leave that movie with, "Wow, Jeremy Renner really was great in that movie")

This dude was on the cusp of being one of the IT actors. One of the guys where you would see him in a movie and be like, "Yep, well with him in it that has to be great." Then.... Digger.

He's taking the dough & running... I ain't mad...Just don't go the douche bag route like Nick Cage... Homey was still on point in The Town... I mean that's a homey right there, "Whose car are we going to take?" No questions, just ready to put in some work... :lol:

Last edited:
Absolutely, Renner CAN do work when called upon, but right now, he's just cashin checks.

Dude lived off Ramen noodles in Modesto California (I'm from that area) I got NO problems with him gettin his payday on.

Colin Farrell did the exact same thing.

Renner is supposed to be in David O. Russell's next film, so I wouldn't be too worried yet

Last edited:
Renner was pretty non-memorable in the Avengers, but I don't think it was really his fault. His character wasn't given as much opportunity to stand out as a lot the others -- and may be just inherently less interesting. I could be wrong on that last point though, since I know nothing about Hawkeye from the comics.

still no one watching Banshee? 

Renner is a non presence. You can replace him inreverything he's done and the movie would be exactly the same.

I liked Renner in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford...Under appreciated movie IMO...

"Kirk, I'm not your father"

There's a chance the next Star Wars may not come out in 2015 depending on Abrams' schedule. Was afraid of that... He needs to push Mission Impossible & that crazy Scientologist to the side... Star Wars is more important that another Tom Cruise movie mass audiences won't see...

Last edited:
Califronication has indeed jumped the to the point Moody is a shell of himself. I watched last night's ep like wow I really don't care about anything going on right now.

I really like where Shameless was going, I like the balance and in it's 2rd season don't feel it really has to make that choice of going wacky or dark.

House of Lies has started out shaky. 1st season started off way better. If anything it made feel that kinda consultant job was terrible cuz it's depicted in way that you'll deal with way more lame unreasonable fake ppl than you would in Hollywood (as they kinda show in Californication).
It's like an R-rated USA original show...which kinda could describe all of Showtime.
This is so on point though :lol: except for maybe one or two shows

I called it that Renner wasn't gonna work as a leading man after Hurt Locker. :lol:

I'm gonna check out Banshee eventually. :\ House used to be my show and I just found out the main guy who set the tone and styles of that show and directed the premieres, finales and best episodes, is the main director of this. :smokin

House was one of the best directed network shows. Their finales were movies. So yeah, I'll check for it one of these days.

And I think JRS was wondering too...I have all the episodes of American Horror Story saved...but I haven't watched any of this season. Is it worth watching?

Last edited:
You know I was gonna ask that too. Seems like we haven't heard one word about the second season of AHS

You know I was gonna ask that too. Seems like we haven't heard one word about the second season of AHS

CP has dropped a few posts about it. Sounds like the 2nd season is even weirder than the first, which is really saying something. Based on what he's said, I don't really have an interest, but others might.

It's like last season, it's just "different" from anything else out there on tv.

There are some really cool moments, plotlines here and there, and then there's a lot of what the **** plotlines as well.

We got a nazi dr, a devil, some aliens, some crazies, some wild bill, a reporter, a sex addict, some torture, some Super 8, a lot of Hostel, I mean.....how do I explain all that to you? And I still have 2 episodes to go!!!! :lol:

You can knock out the season in a solid 3 days if you can get 3-4 ep a night in. It's worth doin once, and never remember again, same as last season. To me it just gets by on being so different from all other tv, a couple good performances, interesting plots, I didn't wanna give it all up, ya know? I've watched worse ****.

Renner is a non presence. You can replace him inreverything he's done and the movie would be exactly the same.

He's an adequate actor, and that's not necessarily a good thing. He'll do fine in whatever he does, but has never really stood out.

Even with Hurt Locker, I don't think back on it and think "Man, what a great performance he gave."

I agree that The Town was probably his best, but that was a movie more about what happens, not necessarily the acting.

[QUOTE name="CP1708"]
[QUOTE name="MrONegative"]

I never liked Renner before Hurt Locker. He was just the douche from SWAT to me. I'm worried it'll go back to something like that. No faith.

Whoa, The Town should have MIB'd your vision of Swat right from jump.  Come on now.  I can see you not diggin Hurt Locker, but, The Town.
[/quote]

See he can play that guy from The Town.
He got really good at being that guy.
Hurt Locker was that guy who spoke less with some redeeming qualities.
Now he's gotta be the good guy bad-%%# followup to Jason Bourne?
On his own? No Anthony Mackie or Ben Affleck to bump heads with?[/quote]

But yeah, about AHS...I remember people getting really hyped near the end of last season.
Especially after the school shooting ep...that hype got me to give in and catch up.

This time...season just ended and not a word. :nerd:

House of Lies has started out shaky. 1st season started off way better. If anything it made feel that kinda consultant job was terrible cuz it's depicted in way that you'll deal with way more lame unreasonable fake ppl than you would in Hollywood (as they kinda show in Californication).

I kinda see where you're coming from...I just thought they made the clients pretty crazy last year too.
The changes they made with the show just feel more like what I was hoping for last season is all.

^^^I'm still not sold on House of Lies either. Still a little too over-the-top for me, plus the two other guys on the team besides Cheadle and Bell just annoy me. But I'm going to keep watching it for, at a minimum, the occasional eye candy. And I include Nia Long in that. She's aging well.

He's an adequate actor, and that's not necessarily a good thing. He'll do fine in whatever he does, but has never really stood out.

Even with Hurt Locker, I don't think back on it and think "Man, what a great performance he gave."

I agree that The Town was probably his best, but that was a movie more about what happens, not necessarily the acting.
To me I thought I knew what kind of acting career he'd have and what kind of actor he was but once I saw the commercial for Hansel & Gretel I knew he just doesn't give a **** and doesn't care if for the most part he spirals in to below average do anything to keep working where as at the least I thought he'd try to be the guy that does any action movie for money. Plus his hosting of SNL was pretty bad.

I gave him a past for the Bourne movie but c'mon. Had to ignore Marvel trying to tell me Hawkeye was the breakout star of Avengers and his almost non-existent role in it. Then there was w/e he was doing in Ghost Protocol.

Not trying to breakdown his filmography but he's really not leaving the best impression the past few flicks.
^^^I'm still not sold on House of Lies either. Still a little too over-the-top for me, plus the two other guys on the team besides Cheadle and Bell just annoy me. But I'm going to keep watching it for, at a minimum, the occasional eye candy. And I include Nia Long in that. She's aging well.
Yeah, I thought those guys were gonna have potential, thought there was gonna be promise in them being a very funny duo but it doesn't click enough.

Love me some Nia Long but that move in itself makes me feel the show was already making a desperate reach.

Still got hope Don can carry the show.

Last edited:
Ya know what, I'm good with the American Horror Story season. Real good.

That was pretty damn surprising, all over the board, but well written, if a bit crazy.

Just found out Don't Trust the B In Apt 23 got canceled. Show was funny as hell on the low.
mean.gif
The show had it's moments and I watched it religiously but I'm indifferent to it being canceled.

If Happy Ending were to get canned though.
mean.gif

I might give the first few episodes a shot, but the couple reviews I've read make me think I'd be unimpressed.

Season 3 of the Walking Dead is finally up on Xfinity... Can't wait to get caught up.

Need to get The Following a shot soon too 

Back
Top Bottom