Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Richard Roeper on Movie 43
Since 1999 I’ve been carrying a blue pill in my pocket, holding onto it for the moment when I’d truly need it. The pill, I was told, would instantly erase the memory of any movie — but just the one movie, just the one time.

I was tempted to take that pill after “Freddy Got Fingered.” I had the pill in hand as I walked out of every other Adam Sandler movie of the last decade.

But I hung on to it, knowing something even worse was going to come my way one day.

Midway through “Movie 43,” I knew the day had come. As the credits rolled with the inevitable blooper scenes of actors breaking character and inexplicably laughing when nothing funny is going on, I swallowed that pill, hoping to erase instantly all mental images of what had just transpired.

It didn’t work. The !&$@*! thing didn’t work!

Last edited:
This movie was never gonna be a winner with the critics. It's fart humor and **** jokes.

I'll reserve judgment. Definitley not paying to see what is probably a terrible movie though.

Wait how did ppl not expect this to be horrible though? This is on the level of those trash parody movies.

After reading that list, I definitely won't watch for all the incessant fart jokes. Not my kind of humor even when it comes to terrible comedy.
24. Halle Berry makes guacamole with her bare right breast.

25. Halle Berry sticks a turkey baster full of hot sauce into her vagina.

25. Halle Berry gets a cartoonish breast enlargement and fondles her cartoonish boobs.
:evil: This is great though

Last edited:
I read the first paragraph J posted and it sounds very funny. Gonna avoid more information and just watch it eventually. Sometimes you just need to turn your brain off for 90 minutes and relax 
laugh.gif

End of watch would have been cult classic status if it ended the way it looked like it would.

However

It may be sadder this way. Because Jake's character truly is the reason Pena got killed. He was too smart for his own good. He is the only reason they ended up having a hit on them. They wouldnt have ended up in that situation if Jake didn't want to be Sherlock Holmes. So he has to live on with the knowledge that he was the main reason his best friend got killed

The original Thomas crown affair.

What a ******g movie. They don't make them like they used to. Plain and simple.

Steve McQueen. The man boys dream of becoming

Faye Dunaway. The epitome of elegance.

Don't ever trust a ****
Man, I love Steve McQueen. My other favorite flicks of his are Papillon (with a very young Dustin Hoffman), Bullitt, The Getaway, & finally the Magnificent Seven (a western remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai). A true American Icon...

Read a biography of McQueen some time ago where it said McQueen & Yul Brynner didn't get along during the filming. Brynner was short & they built little wooden boxes for him to stand on so he would be the same height on camera but he got really angry when they presented it to him so he had them build these natural looking dirt mounds everywhere....

If you haven't already, I urge everyone to see Paul Newman's early work too...Another American icon...

So, notwithstanding the negative feedback I got on it from here, I watched Taken 2 last night on PPV. It was adequate. Pretty much the same movie as the first one, except an thinner plot and (remarkably) even more implausible. It was good enough to take my mind off the Clippers blowing a game against the Blazers, which is what I was going for. But I wouldn't say that anyone who hasn't seen it should rush to do so.

Random but I'm curious to hear opinions from any who have seen the film "Frailty" with Matthew McConaughey...?

Last edited:
So, notwithstanding the negative feedback I got on it from here, I watched Taken 2 last night on PPV. It was adequate. Pretty much the same movie as the first one, except an thinner plot and (remarkably) even more implausible. It was good enough to take my mind off the Clippers blowing a game against the Blazers, which is what I was going for. But I wouldn't say that anyone who hasn't seen it should rush to do so.
I thought the first one was significantly better. 

Man, I love Steve McQueen. My other favorite flicks of his are Papillon (with a very young Dustin Hoffman), Bullitt, The Getaway, & finally the Magnificent Seven (a western remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai). A true American Icon...

Read a biography of McQueen some time ago where it said McQueen & Yul Brynner didn't get along during the filming. Brynner was short & they built little wooden boxes for him to stand on so he would be the same height on camera but he got really angry when they presented it to him so he had them build these natural looking dirt mounds everywhere....

If you haven't already, I urge everyone to see Paul Newman's early work too...Another American icon...

Bullitt has the greatest car chase scene ever. I wish more movies now with chase scenes took its approach instead of just being filled with unrealistic looking special effects

Watched most of Seven Psychopaths last night. Movie was :pimp: for what I saw. Farrel, Walken and Rockwell are awesome together. I've gotta go back and watch the ending tonight before I expound on everything.

Papillon (with a very young Dustin Hoffman)

I remember randomly catching that on AMC or something forever ago and loving it.

One of the first old movies that real hooked me. :smokin

Random but I'm curious to hear opinions from any who have seen the film "Frailty" with Matthew McConaughey...?

Haven't seen it in forever, but I remember really liking it. Bill Pullman...Paxton?...Pullman, was great, the kids were good and I just bought it. It had me hooked beginning to end.

If you liked it I recommend checking out Identity with John Cusack.

Last edited:
Paxton. :lol:

Pullman is Independence Day.

Bill Paxton has been in a lot of movies but I will always think of him as Chet in Weird Science & the space marine in Aliens (game over man)...

I love docs...This one looks really good...

In Organic We Trust
From the Youtube post - An eye-opening food documentary that follows Director/Producer Kip Pastor on a personal journey to answer commonly asked questions about organic food:What exactly is organic? Is it really better, or just a marketing scam?

The film digs deep with farmers, organic certifiers, scientists, and organic critics to explore the content beneath the label and the truth behind the marketing. It takes a balanced approach to clear up misconceptions about organic food while highlighting practical solutions that are transforming the way we grow and eat.

Paxton...Pullman :lol: one of those things I'll never get right.

Caught up on the Showtime shows last night.

Californication :rolleyes :smh:

This is season 6....4. Great. Seasons...that's more than most shows get.

He's in rehab now and Maggie Grace showed up to keep her clothes on.

Remember when Entourage got...not...so...good? This is worse than that. There were still some things worth checking in on with Entourage. This...this is all blah setups with no punchlines and no one left in the cast to even like. It's like all the writers dipped and everyone's just doing improv. And even ******* can't help that. :smh:

Shameless :evil: :smokin

A part of me just loves this show. One of my favs on TV right now. And the first season was pretty damn amazing. It's just...they reached that point where you have to decide what this is gonna be in the long run. And I thought the last couple episodes of that season was them making a decision to be this heavy, dark, bittersweet show with a lot of heart and a great cast. I mean, there was that one scene in particular with Fiona and her mom that had me thinking...ok. Emmy might get an Emmy sometime soon.

But then season 2 started and kinda threw that out the window.

I'm ******g the anecdote up, but I remember once an HBO exec was talking about the first season of The Sopranos and how David Chase was gonna have Tony kill a character they liked or something else ****** up, and they were like...'cmon, can you just not do that?'

And Chase said, 'I must. The audience believes in Tony. If Tony doesn't kill this guy, then he's ********. And if he's ********, then the show is ******** and I'll never get the audience's trust back.'

Now I still really like the show, and it's not even that it fell off or anything. They just made a choice. Things happened. Life is un-******g-fair things happened in season 1, that with the seriousness they were touching on, should've had real, deep, long-lasting consequences. But they didn't. And they always found this sarcastic, but honest cheeriness in the ugliest of situations and they used that to smooth their reaching over fine. But that was the choice they made. Either get darker and more serious with real consequences (the Breaking Bad special) or get...wackier. So they got wackier.

Now the show's always been funny and upbeat, so it's not some kinda betrayal of the tone. And that cast is awesome, but the things they had to ignore or reach on to keep them together and fun and interesting, kinda caps how serious we can ever take the show again. And between Frank and Sheila, they sealed the lid shut with a little bit of ********. :lol:

But that's ok. The characters are so strong and the writing is still good, and this season's off to a really good start.. I mean it's not like the show went and Weeds'd itself. Now that was some ********. :smh: :lol:

House of Lies :smokin

So they fixed it?

It's like an R-rated USA original show...which kinda could describe all of Showtime. :lol: But there were a lot of kinks...a lot of hollow scenes and them not being able to balance the personal stuff with the work stuff, or the ridiculous stuff with the practical stuff...or just not having enough to say about the characters.

But they worked out the kinks? I mean it's only 3 episodes in now, but they were all really good.

Especially the season premiere. It was clear and funny and had real, emotional drive. It wasn't just eccentric for the sake of being eccentric or stylish for the sake of being stylish like show used to be. They finally realized that not everyone can be the super eccentric with a super quirk. Someone has to the straight man. They toned it down...they focused on the story and the characters...they balanced all the pieces. It's not a carousel of random case of the weeks anymore. They're holding onto a case for more than 1 episode, so they can let the characters grow around it.

They were starting to get it together at the end of last season, but now I think they got it.

It was just really funny and thoughtful. I'm in again.

Last edited:
Bill Paxton has been in a lot of movies but I will always think of him as Chet in Weird Science & the space marine in Aliens (game over man)...

Took the words right out of my mouth. Those two roles are iconic. Paxton gave performances like those in Predator II and True Lies too, but they weren't quite as memorable (or quotable) as Chet and Hudson. Then he started doing movies like Twister, which would make it more understandable how someone would confuse him with Bill Pullman.

Since someone mentioned Frailty, another good, smaller movie with Paxton in it that a lot of people may not have seen is One False Move - a crime drama set in a small town. Its the first really serious role that I saw Paxton in and also the first movie I remember seeing Billy Bob Thornton in. He was excellent as the villain.

Not surprised at all by the bad reviews for Movie 43, don't see why anyone would honestly.

I'll wait for a quality rip to drop but I wouldn't waste my money watching it in theaters.

Caught Zero Dark Thirty the other day.

It was good and Chastain did her thing, but I wasn't blown away by it.

And O-Neg, I have similar feelings about Californication at this point.

I was kinda surprised Maggie Grace had a nude scene even though it was just an *** shot. Couldn't even get a smidgen of titty from Megan Good last season.
mean.gif

OAN, Bob's Burgers was great last night.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Gene impersonating Bob.
roll.gif

Has anyone stayed up on American Horror Story?

I just went thru a few episodes last night tryin to catch up, and what in the ****? :lol:

There was a sudden.......musical number outta nowhere, and in the most random spot, I didn't know weather to laugh or cry.

It was fitting to see the story they gave what's his name from last season. Lost nutjob with mommy issues. The hell is that douche boxes name? From last year, the main guy, and he was a lawyer on a show once, I think. He sucks. Whatever, that guy.

Overall it's been solid, but I have no idea if they will make a third season, or if I will stick around for it.

Can we talk about an actor who three years ago was supposed to be the next huge/breakout actor in Hollywood (many people in this thread and in general said that), ... but proceeded to barely be heard of from there on out?

Jeremy Renner.

Lets check out his resume...

Starred in the Hurt Locker (despite your view on that movie, he was great), superb supporting actor The Town.. had everyone excited about his arrival as one of the possible big dogs in Hollywood.

Then :lol:

Bourne Legacy (awesome trilogy tries to recapture the magic, falls flat on its face, impresses nobody, barely gets 50% on RT)
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunter (17% on RT)
MI4 (where he put forth an acting performance that was absolutely lifeless)
Avengers (did anyone leave that movie with, "Wow, Jeremy Renner really was great in that movie")

This dude was on the cusp of being one of the IT actors. One of the guys where you would see him in a movie and be like, "Yep, well with him in it that has to be great." Then.... Digger.

Back
Top Bottom