Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

^^^ Hartman was great. Thanks in large part to him, I have to confess that Houseguest is one of my guilty pleasure movies. Its pretty cheesy in a lot of ways, but still makes me laugh. And his SNL stuff is appreciated. Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer FTW.

I love British crime dramas (like Layer Cake, Sexy Beast). Here's what looks like another good one called The Sweeney starring Ray Winstone (aka Frenchie) 

theres guys you can hit and theres guys you cant hit

thats not a guy you cant hit but he's almost a guy you cant hit

im gonna make the call and say dont hit'em

I love British crime dramas (like Layer Cake, Sexy Beast). Here's what looks like another good one called The Sweeney starring Ray Winstone (aka Frenchie) 

theres guys you can hit and theres guys you cant hit

thats not a guy you cant hit but he's almost a guy you cant hit

im gonna make the call and say dont hit'em

:lol: I can just hear his voice saying that...I've watched The Departed at least 50 times.

Here's one more Brit crime flick, this time starring Professor X & Archy (James MacAvoy & Mark Strong), Welcome to the Punch.

:pimp: Seven Psychopaths 8/10
8) Here Comes the Boom 6.5/10

Next Up:
Stolen
The Perks of Being A Wallflower
Cloud Atlas
Hit and Run
The Words
Total Recall
Stand Up Guys
Les Miserables
The Host
Officer Down

That Welcome to the Punch looks pretty good. Did you check that preview Dead Man Down? That looks pretty awesome as well.

I was waiting for the trailer to hit but forgot about checking up on it after the new year...That does look good (to me)... Liked the Pink Floyd cover too...

CP's caps and exclamation points got me to watch the following

show is 
pimp.gif

glad that cop that got killed in dexter got work that fast......got typecasted though 
laugh.gif

"we need to tear up the libraries ethernet"  lmaooo what does that even mean lmao

Last edited:
watched Dredd 3D again today with a friend.

He was surprised that he actually liked it and that it actually came out in theaters because it was so graphic

Wish they make a sequel but did bad in box office. Hopefully the DVD/Bluray sales might help...

I'm holding out hope that Dredd gets hype on bluray and somehow gets a sequel.

Fruitvale sounds great. I'll try and see it in theaters.

So randomly, I recorded tonight's New Girl...why didn't yall tell me it got better?

It was actually really good. They turned Zooey into Britta with shades of Annie. And made her just one of the cast, like how Happy Endings made Elisha fall back.

So, I was watching Bill Maher the other night, dude had this amazingly hot girl on there.

Mad intelligent. Mad beautiful. :pimp: :pimp:

But here's the thing...even with the Godfather trilogy being as good as it is, you still have a whole grip of gangster movies that are close to being 10/10. TO ME, Nolan raised the bar. Before he came along, I would have given my nod to both Batman 1 & 2 (Keaton) as being the best superhero movies made that I've seen. I just could not get into Avengers. It was a tad bit too cartoony for me...almost like a 2012 version of Independence Day. I don't even think that I could hold a candle to X-Men First Class, which I thought was damn good. I can see why people liked Avengers, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

I don't know, for me? Keaton Batman did that to superhero films. Before that, superhero films were putrid. Absolutely putrid. There's charm in some of the early Superman films, and definitely in the old Adam West Batman, but what Burton brought to the superhero film genre was more groundbreaking than Nolan IMO. Whether Nolan made the better films? That's up for debate, but without Burton Batman, there is no Nolan Batman IMO. He brought them mainstream, and made them into blockbusters, and paved the way for films like X-Men, and Spider-Man.

I completely understand peoples favoring for the more realistic take that Nolan provides, and gives some more effort in character development, but if you look at most superhero films, how many of them are REALLY bad?

Not counting TMNT, Toxic Avenger, Swamp Thing, etc., lets look at the history of comic book films since Batman

Captain America (1990): Made for TV crap, mislead.
Batman Returns (1992): Another Burton classic.
The Fantastic Four (1994): As with Captain America, mislead.
The Crow (1994): Criminally underrated adaptation. Did what Nolan did, only 12-15 years earlier.
Batman Forever (1995): Schumacher trash, but still incredibly successful.
Judge Dredd (1995): Cult-classic Stallone action-packed adaptation.
Batman & Robin (1997): Last of the Schumacher crap, yet still very successful.
Spawn (1997): Groundbreaking use of CGI. Doesn't stand up as well as it did, but for 1997 it was very good.
Blade (1998): A pretty good adaptation as far as I know.
X-Men (2000): The birth of the modern-day super-hero film. Excellent, well casted, and a huge hit.
Blade II (2002): Hit-sequel to the first, more of the same, nothing too special.
Spider-Man (2002): Another film that made waves for the world of CGI. Let you fly across the world with Spidey.
Daredevil (2003): Ben Affleck's poorest career choice possibly, but the Director's Cut isn't nearly as bad as the theatrical cut.
X2 (2003): One of the best in the series, if not the best. Again, made tons of money.
Hulk (2003): Ang Lee trash. It was okay when it first came out, but holds up TERRIBLY.
Hellboy (2004): Guillermo did a phenomenal job with the adaptation, even though it wasn't a big hit.
The Punisher (2004): Not a very well marketed film, and it shows why. It wasn't very good.
Spider-Man 2 (2004): Has been mentioned several times as one of the best Marvel films.
Catwoman (2004): Probably the biggest misstep that WB ever made in the superhero film biz.
Blade: Trinity (2004): Not as successful as the earlier films, and for the most part a disappointment.
Constantine (2005): Another really good attempt at an adaptation for a graphic novel.
Elektra (2005): The Catwoman equivalent for Marvel. Just not a great film
Batman Begins (2005): Nolan picks up where The Crow and Burton's Batman first started to delve into.
Fantastic Four (2005): It did incredibly well, but not a very good film.
V for Vendetta (2005): Beautiful adaptation, paved the way for the likes of Watchmen.
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006): Does Brett Ratner ever do anything good? This is what happens when you give him something good. He messes it up.
Superman Returns (2006): It's not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be, but it just didn't fall-in-line with what DC JUST did Batman.
Ghost Rider (2007): Shallow attempt at bringing the Rider to the big screen.
Spider-Man 3 (2007): We all know what went wrong here.
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007): Longest movie title ever? It wasn't very good, but was made because the first did so well.
Iron Man (2008): Revived Marvel after it was dying. Why? Because it didn't have shallow characterization YET was still cartoonish at times.
The Incredible Hulk (2008): Not a bad film at all, it's just a shame that Hulk was cast by so many people and couldn't stick with someone.
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (2008): Again, another great continuation of an excellent adaptation that Guillermo did with the first film.
The Dark Knight (2008): The first superhero film to really get the attention of awards ceremonies, because of excellent acting that had not been seen before.
Watchmen (2009): One of the first attempts at a Rated R comic book film, and it worked really well, even if it wasn't for everyone.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009): It was better than X-Men 3? :lol:
Kick-*** (2010): Again, graphic novel adaptation that was executed to perfection, just not as huge of a critical hit. Did well on home video.
Iron Man 2 (2010): Another great success for Marvel, but not as good as the first. Continued the first phase of the Avengers.
Jonah Hex (2010): A commercial and critical flop. Poor Brolin.
Thor (2011): As shallow as it is, it's still a pretty good ride that does well to replicate Asgard. Seeing it in theaters was a blast.
X-Men First-Class (2011): Brought new life to the X-Men franchise, mostly because of great performances from Fassbender and McAvoy.
Green Lantern (2011): Commercially wasn't bad, but they tried to go the Marvel route with it, and it just didn't work. I can see this being remade down the line similar to how Hulk was.
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011): A decent attempt at bringing Cap to the modern-day.
The Avengers (2012): The first ensemble comic book film, and this one actually felt like you were watching a comic book in the last act.
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012): Not bad considering they re-cast everyone, and went back to the origin story.
The Dark Knight Rises (2012): Didn't live up to the expectations of many, but still a fitting close to the Nolan trilogy.
Dredd (2012): A commercial flop, but in general it was welcomed by most viewers.

Pretty clearly, we have two different categories of films. Generally what you can call the Marvel approach (X-Men, Iron Man, The Avengers, Spidey, etc). Then you have those that try to incorporate superheroes into real life (The Crow, Batman, Blade Nolan Batman, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, etc). Superhero films have almost always been pretty cartoony. It's not something new. It's been like that for a while.

And if you go down that list, most of those films are pretty good. Very very very very few are worth mentioning during awards season, but still, even if a lot of them are shallow, they are at least faithful enough to feel as if you're watching that superhero kickass around the world.

I don't really know where all that came from... :nerd: :lol:

I think he just meant Batman+Returns set the bar, Begins+TDK raised that, and Avengers wasn't in the class of any of those.

I think a part of what helped Avengers get over was that it started off the summer and had that silhouette of TDKR off in the distance, so there were no stakes. This can be the fun appetizer, then the real comes through. So when it was a real crowd pleaser, with great punchlines, gags and good, clear, not-Transformers-like action....and then it killed with every audience...chicks, kids, old people, foreigners... That was a great pop culture moment. Schwarma went viral. I'm always angry went viral. Rag doll Loki went viral. Joss went viral. It was all good.

But hyping up Avengers now, is like hyping up a bunch of YouTube videos you used to love last year. Ok, but that's YouTube. See it to see it, enjoy it when it's hype and just to say you saw it, but it's not that real.

It was great when it was hype, but it kinda aged like an internet fad and, in a vacuum, it's good for what it is, but it's not an all time classic or anything. It's a pop crowd-pleaser with some really good moments.

So randomly, I recorded tonight's New Girl...why didn't yall tell me it got better?

It was actually really good. They turned Zooey into Britta with shades of Annie. And made her just one of the cast, like how Happy Endings made Elisha fall back.
Back in October
New Girl is funny.
If that didn't convince you, nothing will.

It got better mid-way through last season once they realized Schmidt was a great character and people got over the "adorkable" marketing gimmick. Then this season they realized Nick is just as funny as Schmidt in a very different way. If Zooey came into the role as a complete unknown, I don't think many people would complain about her at all. She's not giving transcendent performances, but there's a lot more nuance to her character than people give her credit for. On Ben and Kate, Dakota Johnson has some weird/awkward character moments that Zooey could easily do, but she doesn't have the persona/character that Zooey carries with her, so she won't get that kind of criticism

Related note, Ben and Kate is a nice little comedy. Ben can be a bit much at times, but the friend BJ bats like .800 when it comes to funny lines and the kid is cool without being annoying. Plus Dakota Johnson as Kate is beyond funny and cute. Originally Abby Elliott was cast as Kate but she was replaced after the first table read... which sucks because I was a fan of hers but Johnson has been great so it worked out well

tumblr_mgp692QuOo1rv65n0o1_500.gif

tumblr_mgp692QuOo1rv65n0o2_500.gif

Last edited:
Yeah it's a great show I started catching up when it got picked up. Is it just me or those Dakota seem older than her age.?

Back in October

New Girl is funny.

If that didn't convince you, nothing will.

It got better mid-way through last season once they realized Schmidt was a great character and people got over the "adorkable" marketing gimmick. Then this season they realized Nick is just as funny as Schmidt in a very different way. If Zooey came into the role as a complete unknown, I don't think many people would complain about her at all. She's not giving transcendent performances, but there's a lot more nuance to her character than people give her credit for.

Yeah, but that ain't a ringing endorsement. :lol:

You made it sound like it sucked less and at least someone was funny on it. They had her tip the annoyance jar in the cold opening and just take shots at her like she's a lost Arrested Development character.

Needless to say, well done. I'm down for the cause. Will check out from now on. :lol:.

Repped JA and Big J

There really are two different types of superhero films and what's important is the choice of which path to take given the superhero. You don't go more realistic and dark with Avengers or Spidey. All the guys they did it with fit.

I been saying New Girl has been funny for a while now as well. Schmidt is hilarious. I usually find it struggle to decide which to watch first between that and Happy Endings. I agree though it started off horrible (I was just digging in to how bad the show started off) and I only checked it out to see Zooey and for the son of one of the Wayan's brothers. before I knew he left. Show just got a whole lot funnier.

I'd suggest you find a way to catch up on the past two seasons just to see how it got better. Them eps when they just let Schmidt take over was too much :lol: and after that it was like he was a black hole of funniness cuz he sucked in the rest of the characters and made the whole show better.

Last edited:
Got damn JapanAir21...Your post is like reading one of the journals from John Doe in Se7en...I'll have to make multiple attempts to read it all... :lol: Whether I agree or not with your assessments, love the passion about movies though...

I love the legend of the 47 Ronin. Japanese film makers have done the movie from time to time (Kon Ichikawa 1994, Kenji Mizoguchi 1941) but the movies have been meh...Have always thought this could be great movie so when I heard it was being done again, I was excited until I read Keanu Reeeves...Not really enthused about a Gaijin being cast in the flick. Also don't like a first time director at the help Carl Rinsch. I've been especially dismayed about the movie having been pushed back several times & no footage of it released...Not a good sign. Any here is some art work for the posters just released...

watched Dredd 3D again today with a friend.

He was surprised that he actually liked it and that it actually came out in theaters because it was so graphic

Wish they make a sequel but did bad in box office. Hopefully the DVD/Bluray sales might help...

Word...I might have to cop that Bluray even though I have it already...

Finally saw Life of Pi..I can see why it has the hype of a Best Flim of The Year. Story was cool. Ang Lee killed with the visuals as usual. I'm surprised I liked it. It could be compared to Castaway.

Last edited:
I don't really know where all that came from... :nerd: :lol:

I think he just meant Batman+Returns set the bar, Begins+TDK raised that, and Avengers wasn't in the class of any of those.

I think a part of what helped Avengers get over was that it started off the summer and had that silhouette of TDKR off in the distance, so there were no stakes. This can be the fun appetizer, then the real comes through. So when it was a real crowd pleaser, with great punchlines, gags and good, clear, not-Transformers-like action....and then it killed with every audience...chicks, kids, old people, foreigners... That was a great pop culture moment. Schwarma went viral. I'm always angry went viral. Rag doll Loki went viral. Joss went viral. It was all good.

But hyping up Avengers now, is like hyping up a bunch of YouTube videos you used to love last year. Ok, but that's YouTube. See it to see it, enjoy it when it's hype and just to say you saw it, but it's not that real.

It was great when it was hype, but it kinda aged like an internet fad and, in a vacuum, it's good for what it is, but it's not an all time classic or anything. It's a pop crowd-pleaser with some really good moments.

Exactly!

So, I was watching Bill Maher the other night, dude had this amazingly hot girl on there.

Mad intelligent. Mad beautiful. :pimp: :pimp:
I don't know, for me? Keaton Batman did that to superhero films. Before that, superhero films were putrid. Absolutely putrid. There's charm in some of the early Superman films, and definitely in the old Adam West Batman, but what Burton brought to the superhero film genre was more groundbreaking than Nolan IMO. Whether Nolan made the better films? That's up for debate, but without Burton Batman, there is no Nolan Batman IMO. He brought them mainstream, and made them into blockbusters, and paved the way for films like X-Men, and Spider-Man.

I completely understand peoples favoring for the more realistic take that Nolan provides, and gives some more effort in character development, but if you look at most superhero films, how many of them are REALLY bad?

Not counting TMNT, Toxic Avenger, Swamp Thing, etc., lets look at the history of comic book films since Batman

Captain America (1990): Made for TV crap, mislead.
Batman Returns (1992): Another Burton classic.
The Fantastic Four (1994): As with Captain America, mislead.
The Crow (1994): Criminally underrated adaptation. Did what Nolan did, only 12-15 years earlier.
Batman Forever (1995): Schumacher trash, but still incredibly successful.
Judge Dredd (1995): Cult-classic Stallone action-packed adaptation.
Batman & Robin (1997): Last of the Schumacher crap, yet still very successful.
Spawn (1997): Groundbreaking use of CGI. Doesn't stand up as well as it did, but for 1997 it was very good.
Blade (1998): A pretty good adaptation as far as I know.
X-Men (2000): The birth of the modern-day super-hero film. Excellent, well casted, and a huge hit.
Blade II (2002): Hit-sequel to the first, more of the same, nothing too special.
Spider-Man (2002): Another film that made waves for the world of CGI. Let you fly across the world with Spidey.
Daredevil (2003): Ben Affleck's poorest career choice possibly, but the Director's Cut isn't nearly as bad as the theatrical cut.
X2 (2003): One of the best in the series, if not the best. Again, made tons of money.
Hulk (2003): Ang Lee trash. It was okay when it first came out, but holds up TERRIBLY.
Hellboy (2004): Guillermo did a phenomenal job with the adaptation, even though it wasn't a big hit.
The Punisher (2004): Not a very well marketed film, and it shows why. It wasn't very good.
Spider-Man 2 (2004): Has been mentioned several times as one of the best Marvel films.
Catwoman (2004): Probably the biggest misstep that WB ever made in the superhero film biz.
Blade: Trinity (2004): Not as successful as the earlier films, and for the most part a disappointment.
Constantine (2005): Another really good attempt at an adaptation for a graphic novel.
Elektra (2005): The Catwoman equivalent for Marvel. Just not a great film
Batman Begins (2005): Nolan picks up where The Crow and Burton's Batman first started to delve into.
Fantastic Four (2005): It did incredibly well, but not a very good film.
V for Vendetta (2005): Beautiful adaptation, paved the way for the likes of Watchmen.
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006): Does Brett Ratner ever do anything good? This is what happens when you give him something good. He messes it up.
Superman Returns (2006): It's not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be, but it just didn't fall-in-line with what DC JUST did Batman.
Ghost Rider (2007): Shallow attempt at bringing the Rider to the big screen.
Spider-Man 3 (2007): We all know what went wrong here.
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007): Longest movie title ever? It wasn't very good, but was made because the first did so well.
Iron Man (2008): Revived Marvel after it was dying. Why? Because it didn't have shallow characterization YET was still cartoonish at times.
The Incredible Hulk (2008): Not a bad film at all, it's just a shame that Hulk was cast by so many people and couldn't stick with someone.
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (2008): Again, another great continuation of an excellent adaptation that Guillermo did with the first film.
The Dark Knight (2008): The first superhero film to really get the attention of awards ceremonies, because of excellent acting that had not been seen before.
Watchmen (2009): One of the first attempts at a Rated R comic book film, and it worked really well, even if it wasn't for everyone.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009): It was better than X-Men 3? :lol:
Kick-*** (2010): Again, graphic novel adaptation that was executed to perfection, just not as huge of a critical hit. Did well on home video.
Iron Man 2 (2010): Another great success for Marvel, but not as good as the first. Continued the first phase of the Avengers.
Jonah Hex (2010): A commercial and critical flop. Poor Brolin.
Thor (2011): As shallow as it is, it's still a pretty good ride that does well to replicate Asgard. Seeing it in theaters was a blast.
X-Men First-Class (2011): Brought new life to the X-Men franchise, mostly because of great performances from Fassbender and McAvoy.
Green Lantern (2011): Commercially wasn't bad, but they tried to go the Marvel route with it, and it just didn't work. I can see this being remade down the line similar to how Hulk was.
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011): A decent attempt at bringing Cap to the modern-day.
The Avengers (2012): The first ensemble comic book film, and this one actually felt like you were watching a comic book in the last act.
The Amazing Spider-Man (2012): Not bad considering they re-cast everyone, and went back to the origin story.
The Dark Knight Rises (2012): Didn't live up to the expectations of many, but still a fitting close to the Nolan trilogy.
Dredd (2012): A commercial flop, but in general it was welcomed by most viewers.

Pretty clearly, we have two different categories of films. Generally what you can call the Marvel approach (X-Men, Iron Man, The Avengers, Spidey, etc). Then you have those that try to incorporate superheroes into real life (The Crow, Batman, Blade Nolan Batman, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, etc). Superhero films have almost always been pretty cartoony. It's not something new. It's been like that for a while.

And if you go down that list, most of those films are pretty good. Very very very very few are worth mentioning during awards season, but still, even if a lot of them are shallow, they are at least faithful enough to feel as if you're watching that superhero kickass around the world.

Mr.N summed up what I was trying to get at.

If I was to list my top-5

Batman Begins
TDK
Batman
X-Men: First Class
V for Vendetta

Personally, i would love to see some reboots made with more of a darker angle, but that's just me. Like I said, I completely get why Avengers was popular...but it was too cartoony/cheesy for my liking.

*Both you and Mr.N get repped...

Last edited:
If someone see the trailer for The Way Way Back before me, please post...Fox Searchlight just bought it at Sundance. It's a coming of age story penned by the folks that wrote The Decedents starring Sam Rockwell, Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Maya Rudolph, & Rob Corddry. I'm looking forward to seeing it & would like to see the trailer...

I love trailers...They can even make the crappiest movies look so full of potential...The ultimate sales tool if you ask me...

Back
Top Bottom