Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I don't know why but I just never looked at V For Vendetta as a superhero flick. It hasn't bothered me but it's something I've noticed in all of the lists I've seen the past few pages. Great movie but never saw it in that group. Not V, he's too thorough for that but that's more props Moore than anything cuz I can see the resembalance with Rorschach.
I think most people can agree that the Bruce Wayne story is just a lot better and more realistic than any other superhero story. You add Nolan and Bale and these other superhero movies can't touch it. It's almost like watching a whole different genre.
Bruce Wayne's story was barely even told though. Nolan ran with the premise and concept.

It still strikes me that Nolan is the same director that used Bale in The Prestige while he had Bale wasting his talent in the Batman trilogy.

Mad Men to premiere April 7th with a "two-hour film" (or just two episodes back to back like last year). I'll start up a thread whenever there's some more info/pictures/etc.

Warming Glow has a list of the up-to-date pilot announcements. Obviously not all of this will make it to air but it's a starting point.

Pilot Watch: Which Of These 16 New Shows Would You Watch?

Edit: and welp... Ben and Kate is pulled from the schedule, which basically means it's cancelled. That's too bad. Dakota Johnson should get another sitcom pilot immediately, she's too good.

best news ever.

Wonder where Peggy will go... gonna miss seeing her at SCD(P?)

Just started on S4 a second ago.

The finale of S3 is some great TV.

Last edited:
Totally forgot until I watched it again today that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra :lol:

Don't know why I felt like watching it. Not a good movie, but the visuals are pretty solid in Blu. Scene in Paris with the Eiffel Tower has to be my favorite, but there weren't many good selections to pick from :lol:

Brendan Fraiser :rofl: Ahhh man

One comic thing that I really, really liked when it came out was Constantine. Tilda Swinton killed it, Rachel Weisz, Djimon Hounsou, little Shia, great feel and tone and that awesome depiction of hell... Shame Keanu didn't wanna make more.

The descendants was a quality movie.

One of my favorites from that year. :smokin

Ben from the recently canceled Ben and Kate was one of the writers along with the Dean from community so that automatically means it's good.

Ben from the recently canceled Ben and Kate was one of the writers along with the Dean from community so that automatically means it's good.
So you're saying that with both shows essentially cancelled, the two of them (Ben and the Dean) have free time? I think we'll be okay 8) Seriously though, I want Community back already!! >:

I forgot to ask Big J did the Happy Endings season already end? I knew they ended the twice a week Sundays thing but I expected an ep yesterday and looked out for one tonight. So what's the deal? Another hiatus? :nerd:

I explained in the Happy Endings thread, it got bumped last night, Don't Trust the B is getting pulled and cancelled, they'll miss two straight weeks because of the State of the Union and Bachelor premiere, and then from what I've read they're probably going to double up the last 5 weeks of their season until Dancing with the Stars premieres. 

So they're going to get all their episodes finished before Dancing premieres. Best case the ratings improve a little and ABC gives it one more shot and maybe work a syndication deal.

Totally forgot until I watched it again today that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was in G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra :lol:

Don't know why I felt like watching it. Not a good movie, but the visuals are pretty solid in Blu. Scene in Paris with the Eiffel Tower has to be my favorite, but there weren't many good selections to pick from :lol:

Brendan Fraiser :rofl: Ahhh man

GI Joe is the kind of movie I categorize as a good one to catch on cable or VOD rental or something. I wouldn't have paid to see it in the theater. My son liked this better than either of the Transformer movies (yuck Michael Bay)....Movies aside, I've always been fascinated by Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow. Always thought it was interesting (& cool), the good guy was black & the bad guy was white. Having said that, this just hit the internets...

Last edited:
Damn Cormac McCarthy & Ridley Scott?! I'm there... Look at the frickin' cast...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...scar-with-november-15th-release-date-20130123

Ridley Scott's highly anticipated, Cormac McCarthy-penned "The Counselor" is now set for a November 15th release, the same weekend as another contender, the recently slated Wikileaks movie, "The Fifth Estate." Plan accordingly. Starring a ridiculous ensemble including Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Dean Norris, Rosie Perez, John Leguizamo, Natalie Dormer and Goran Visnjic, the film, about a lawyer who gets mixed up in the drug trade, seems like a straight-up genre play. But we're guessing there may be a performance or two in here that could get some nomination consideration, and perhaps Fox is hoping this is the next "No Country For Old Men." We'll see...

Ridley is hit or miss. Especially when he isn't doing sci-fi. I stress... do not get your hopes up. Go in with low expectations.

Speaking of Ridley, I watched finally saw Hannibal for the second time. This movie is underrated. It's biggest crime was that it isn't silence of the lambs, and Jodie Foster decided to have a stick up her *** and not return as Starling. It's a pretty damn interesting thriller. A good sequel to a superior movie. Not a classic, but didn't deserve the bad reviews it got

I think another director could have done a better job, But Ridley did fine. Some parts it's choppy. The scenes on location are beautiful. The book is better but that's almost always the case. Moore did what she could but Jodie Foster's character is iconic so obviously it was strange to see Moore as Starling. But she did her best.

Some scenes are truly chilling even to this day. The score haunting. Hopkins is still good as the best character he ever portrayed by far.Great ensemble cast.

The most important thing I came away with is that Gary Oldman is officialy the most underrated actor of all time. Let me repeat... OF ALL TIME. I had no idea the man with no face was Oldman. Not even one clue. I heard the voice and saw the good acting and kept thinking that this has to be a quality actor. who is this? I know this isn;t a random actor. Then the credits rolled and it made sense. Nobody has the RANGE that he does. That includes Daniel Day Lewis. I'm not saying he's better, but as far as range goes and picking roles that are unique almost every time, he's the best. Nobody has done such extremely different characters over and over through the years

he is criminally underrated

Last edited:
When I look at all the flicks Ridley Scott has directed, I see only 3 I didn't like; A Good Year, Someone to Watch Over Me, & The Duellists. I've liked all of the others...

2012 Prometheus

2010 Robin Hood

2008 Body of Lies

2007American Gangster

2006 A Good Year

2005 Kingdom of Heaven

2003 Matchstick Men

2001 Black Hawk Down

2001Hannibal

2000 Gladiator

1997 G.I. Jane

1996 White Squall

1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise

1991 Thelma & Louise

1989 Black Rain

1987 Someone to Watch Over Me

1985 Legend

1982 Blade Runner

1979 Alien

1977 The Duellists

Inside Llewyn Davis

First trailer for the New Coen Brothers’ movie...Some funny lines in it... Always good to see John Goodman in a Coen Brothers flick...

Red 2

The first one was a pleasant surprise for me... Hope the second one is good...

The East

This one is kind of built on the premise of Fight Club in terms of ripping down the system. Starring Ellen Page...

Last edited:
Wait, what? Oldman was in Hannibal?

weebey

I'm terrible at reading possible sarcasm on NT...

You can't recognize Oldham in Hannibal....

Nah.

Nope.

Nah.

I reject that.

I refuse to believe all of that. Ain't even gonna check imdb, keep ya lies to yaself.

Wait, what? Oldman was in Hannibal?

weebey

Yep. He's Mason Verger. There actually is one flashback scene where you can see him as he normally looks, but it happens pretty quickly, so I can see why people would miss it. He gives a great performance in that movie

I also like Hannibal. Aside from the things Dub said about it, which I agree with, I like it for how unique it is. There's no other movie that's quite like it that I can think of in terms of how it pretty unapologetically turns the killer into the hero. As great as it is, Silence of the Lambs is comparable to a lot of other hunt down the serial killer movies. But Hannibal is something else, which I think is cool.

"Cordell.."

"Cordell..."

:lol:

I've said it in here several times, when I saw Oldman in True Romance, I was done. Dude is freaking ridiculous. Watch JUST THAT SCENE of the movie, and you'd be ready to pass out. He's a chamelon.

Red Dragon was really good too. Manhunter was first and Ed Norton copies it all the way down to the sudden head turns, but still, Dragon was really good imo. No matter how good Dragon or Hannibal are, nothing will ever match what Silence did. Just not possible.

"Cordell..."

I love Gary Oldham too. He's done some funny ish on Jimmy Kimmel.

If you guys liked Ides Of March & Oldman, check out The Contender. It has a great inside look at politics like Ides had. In addition to Oldman & Jeff Fisher (as the president), it has a stellar cast...

Gary Oldman Reads from R. Kelly's Autobiography Soulacoaster

Gary Oldman Reads "Jersey Shore" Recap

Actors Against Acting Athletes with Gary Oldman

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom