Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

NT Film Awards Prestige Shortlist

ANOTHER EARTH 

THE ARTIST 

BEGINNERS 

THE DESCENDANTS 

THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE 

DRIVE 

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO 

HUGO 

THE IDES OF MARCH 

MARGIN CALL 

MELANCHOLIA 

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS 

MONEYBALL 

SENNA 

SHAME 

THE SKIN I LIVE IN 

TAKE SHELTER 

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY 

THE TREE OF LIFE 

NT Film Awards Popcorn shortlist

ATTACK THE BLOCK 

BEATS, RHYMES & LIFE: THE TRAVELS OF A TRIBE CALLED QUEST 

BRIDESMAIDS 

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER 

CEDAR RAPIDS 

50/50 

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL 

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES 

SOURCE CODE 

SUPER 

13 ASSASSINS 

WARRIOR

I just went through the "Popcorn" list, and mine is the same as ill's except I have HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN and no CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER.

Alright...minus JRS'

We can all agree that these were the best movies of the year:

NT Film Awards Prestige Films

THE ARTIST
THE DESCENDANTS
THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE
DRIVE
50/50
THE HELP
THE GUARD
HUGO
THE IDES OF MARCH
MARGIN CALL
MELANCHOLIA
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
MONEYBALL
TAKE SHELTER
THE TREE OF LIFE
YOUNG ADULT

NT Film Awards Popcorn Films

ATTACK THE BLOCK
BRIDESMAIDS
CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE.
*FAST FIVE
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN
WARRIOR

*is getting in Nos
On the other side of it are the movies we either didn't see or didn't care that much about.
If anyone wants to try and convince people to check one of these out and give it a chance...by all means.
But if you haven't seen it, and heard great things...get on it quick.

Prestige dumpster

ALBERT NOBBS
CORIOLANUS
THE DEBT
HANNA
IN THE LAND OF BLOOD AND HONEY
THE IRON LADY
JANE EYRE
LE HAVRE
LIFE, ABOVE ALL
WAR HORSE
WATER FOR ELEPHANTS

Popcorn trash pile

THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
CHICO & RITA
EVERYTHING MUST GO
FRIGHT NIGHT
LIKE CRAZY
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3
PAUL
POM WONDERFUL PRESENTS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLD
RANGO
RIO
STRAW DOGS
THOR

And then the tricky ones:

Prestige Watchlist

BEAUTIFUL BOY
BEGINNERS
A BETTER LIFE
CARNAGE
CERTIFIED COPY
CONTAGION
A DANGEROUS METHOD
THE FLOWERS OF WAR
J. EDGAR
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
MEEK'S CUTOFF
PARIAH
SENNA
A SEPARATION
SHAME
THE SKIN I LIVE IN
WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN

Popcorn Watchlist

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
BAD TEACHER
CEDAR RAPIDS
HORRIBLE BOSSES
INSIDIOUS
LIMITLESS
THE LINCOLN LAWYER
SCREAM 4
SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS
SOURCE CODE
SUCKER PUNCH
SUPER
SUPER 8
13 ASSASSINS
30 MINUTES OR LESS
WINNIE THE POOH
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Someone has tried to keep them in the running...so why?
Give a good reason to keep any of them on the final list.
Quote yourself on what you've already written, or compare it to something that got in.
Hell...give a good reason to keep them off the final list. Go Ska on it.

But if you haven't seen it and heard great things...it's about that time.

We'll do final nominations after the Super Bowl, but for now...watch em and write something.

I'll support you for Crazy, Stupid, Love. Also a question.. we could or should still argue for someone to be on the final list, but we might not necessarily pick it as number 1, right? For the final voting, will we be ranking them and that determines the winners and runners up, or just a single choice for best. If it's undecided, I'd prefer a ranking of X amount of final nominees just to see what the consensus best, second best, third, etc. films we decide on.

That fulfills my daily quota for questions about the process.

Let_Me_In_15.jpg

on this.

Before noms I was gonna poll what from the final shortlist people hadn't seen and try to remedy that.
Then have everyone rank a top 10 out of each list and work out the final noms (5-10 each list).
And probably again a week later for the final vote.

The whole point of this was to get people to watch some high praise stuff that got missed...and the Oscar noms were half garbage.

I was thinking of bumping Hugo, Margin Call and Young Adult to the watchlist, since I think most people haven't seen them.

I would absolutely back you on Margin Call.  I loved that film, and really have no idea why.  It should have been one of the most boring movies ever, but I was hooked the entire time. 

In the end, for me, I'm going to back Bridesmaids, and haven't been able to decide on one of these yet.  I still need to see Paris and Hugo though, the rest I have. 

THE DESCENDANTS
THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE
DRIVE
HUGO
THE IDES OF MARCH
MARGIN CALL
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

You're like...3 steps ahead, fool.
laugh.gif

From the yellow lists...which of those movies you want to make it to the green lists?
Or if you want, which of the green list you wanna call %*%#*%** on.

Like...has anyone even seen Hugo or Young Adult? or people just going off reputation?
nerd.gif

Oh, my bad. 
laugh.gif

Get Crazy Stupid back in the Green, as well as XMen first Class.  Shut the hell up Noskey. 

Go ahead and put Scream 4 and Lincoln Lawyer in the Green too, should even out the two categories. 

I assume JPZ is in on this now, so why did he leave?  Where his votes? 
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Get Crazy Stupid back in the Green, as well as XMen first Class.  Shut the hell up Noskey.

Hell did I do?
laugh.gif
And The Guard needs to be back on the shortlist, that movie was !#$%%+* GREAT. Cheadle and Gleeson played off each other so well.

The Artist: I went into this cold, only knowing it was a silent film. Ummm... it was interesting. I liked it. A lot. Maybe not as good as critics are rating it, but it's still a great, great film. It even felt like a throwback movie when it immersed itself in the time period. The music was amazing, I'm not surprised it's winning tons of original score awards. Jean Dujardin was perfect as George, as well as Berenice Bejo in her role. John Goodman was in it, which was a
eek.gif
moment for me. Not much I can say I disliked; cant even think of anything right now.

And, for anyone on the fence due to it being a French film, it was based in Hollywood and all in English, the subs were just in French.

8.5/10. Still need to see the Descendents before I can say who I want to see win the Oscar, but Dujardin is in the lead for now.

I know I always come in posting some random, dated movie, and I know this isn't exactly the type of movie I would expect you guys to give a watch, but I saw 'psychological thriller' in the description for Black Swan, so I had to watch it.

EXCELLENT movie.
smokin.gif

^ Really?

My bad then.

And I know most people in general have, but it doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would appeal to a bunch of sports guys.

It features Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis in a sex scene, it should be required viewing.

Yeaaaaah, Natalie touching herself and making out with Mila Kunis, I was in the front row, opening night there good homie. 

*shrugs* 

But yes, the movie was excellent, very well done, and Natalie was fantastic in it and deserved the hell out of her Oscar. 

Big J 33:
CP:
23ska909red02:
doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would appeal to a bunch of sports guys.
Yeaaaaah, Natalie touching herself and making out with Mila Kunis
It features Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis in a sex scene, it should be required viewing.
Touché.
laugh.gif
CP:
Natalie was fantastic in it and deserved the hell out of her Oscar.
Didn't know she won an Oscar for that.
laugh.gif
Someone should make a movie called 'Out of the Loop'. I should be in it. The end.

ALBERT NOBBS
ANOTHER EARTH
THE ARTIST
BEAUTIFUL BOY
BEGINNERS
A BETTER LIFE
CARNAGE
*CERTIFIED COPY
CONTAGION
*CORIOLANUS
A DANGEROUS METHOD
THE DEBT
THE DESCENDANTS
THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE
DRIVE
50/50
*THE FLOWERS OF WAR
THE GUARD
HANNA
THE HELP
HUGO
THE IDES OF MARCH
IN THE LAND OF BLOOD AND HONEY
THE IRON LADY
J. EDGAR
JANE EYRE
LE HAVRE
LIFE, ABOVE ALL
MARGIN CALL
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
*MEEK'S CUTOFF
MELANCHOLIA
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
MONEYBALL
PARIAH
SENNA
A SEPARATION
SHAME
THE SKIN I LIVE IN
TAKE SHELTER
THE TREE OF LIFE
WAR HORSE
WATER FOR ELEPHANTS
WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN
YOUNG ADULT

NT Film Awards Popcorn shortlist

THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
ATTACK THE BLOCK
BAD TEACHER
BRIDESMAIDS
CEDAR RAPIDS
CHICO & RITA
CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE.
EVERYTHING MUST GO
FAST FIVE
FRIGHT NIGHT
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN
HORRIBLE BOSSES
INSIDIOUS
LIKE CRAZY
LIMITLESS
THE LINCOLN LAWYER
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3
PAUL
POM WONDERFUL PRESENTS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLD
RANGO
RIO
SCREAM 4
SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS
SOURCE CODE
STRAW DOGS
SUCKER PUNCH
SUPER
SUPER 8
13 ASSASSINS
30 MINUTES OR LESS
THOR
WARRIOR
WINNIE THE POOH
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Saw The Grey - 
I enjoyed the film, Neeson was solid, really loved Grillo.

The film had it's faults though.

The CGI snow bothered me, the Wolves trying to kill people in a sequence was a bit repetitive, and the weather stopping and starting was annoying.

I enjoyed the ending, no problem with it, the scenery and overall cinematography was excellent.

Good film, with faults, Neeson proves this is his craft. Pretty perfect for the role.

Bradley Cooper was originally set to star, would have been interesting to see him in the role.

Rating - 7/10

I wrote a full review here - http://bit.ly/wzMko1

nerd.gif
yes yes yall...this has been an incredibly organized and structured effort.
I'm sure Best Picture(s) will figure itself out.

For Best Actor ... and all the acting roles really...should we do it all-around?
It'd be
smokin.gif
to do it all-around...not an award for a role, but an award for all of them.

Like I think Ryan Gosling made short work out of Drive (made Phonebooth look easy), Crazy, Stupid, Love. and The Ides of March.
He's my Best Actor for 2011.

But Tom Hardy was right there too with Warrior (I think it's gonna be hard for Bane to top Tommy) and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (my favorite part of the film).

And maybe after that Brad Pitt with Tree of Life (this and Aldo Raine were my favorite Pitt roles since Fight Club) and Moneyball.

All-around would be interesting. Jessica Chastain should be a top contender since she was in a million movies last year (which I'm not complaining about). I think it would be just as easy to vote for both. I say that because I'm not counting any votes, of course. To be fair, how many multiple performances have there been last year? Gosling, Hardy, Pitt, Clooney, Chastain.. who else? I say just do a single role, then an extra consideration for best all-around (which would probably be Gosling).

Lets do both. All-Around and Best Single Performance. Because there are some people who aren't as hot in Hollywood right now who could give Gosling or Hardy a run for their money.

True...we can have the Best Single and the Chris Paul award.

And with Jessica Chastain, I keep hearing that she killed 2011.
She was great in Tree of Life and perfect for The Help (which people say was her weakest last year).
Gotta try and watch Take Shelter soon and find Coriolanus.
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom