Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

finished that movie with buscemi and pitt. It's pretty good. Nice random surprise find. The ending is good too. their acting made the movie

The Hunger Games was a surprisingly good read. The romance angle got to be a little bit too much, but it was a strong book.

I was hoping I wouldn't feel obligated to move on to the second and third books. So much for that.

Oh, and I watched a 2011 indie movie called X, about a rookie prostitute and a veteran prostitute having a really bad day. It was alright. The younger girl was also in another movie I mentioned in here (Acolytes). She is super attractive (and gets naked).

86455464.png

^ Forgot to mention that I have your previous two movie mentions on my DVR now: Addicted to Her Love and Disappearance of Alice Creed.

Going to watch them sometime in the next 2 or 3 days. Don't know if I mentioned this before, but my favorite 'Thanks to this thread' movie was on your recommendation: Sugar. Excellent movie.

The second book is another good red, Kev... The third lost me by the end. Worth the read, but just not as compelling to me as the first two were.

About done with the first GOT book... Really want to find out what happens with some of these story lines.

CP1708:
^ Not the 98 recommendations for Pulp Fiction? Consecutively.....
I didn't word that right. I meant movies I would've never heard of unless it were for this thread, like Sugar and Triangle. If it weren't for this thread, there's no way I would've ever seen those movies, let alone even heard of them. Pulp Fiction? Reservoir Dogs? C'mon, of course I had heard of them; just hadn't seen them.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

The second book is another good red, Kev... The third lost me by the end. Worth the read, but just not as compelling to me as the first two were.

About done with the first GOT book... Really want to find out what happens with some of these story lines.

got a few chapters left in the 3rd book
absolutely insane

Kevin Cleveland wrote:
Oh, and I watched a 2011 indie movie called X, about a rookie prostitute and a veteran prostitute having a really bad day. It was alright. The younger girl was also in another movie I mentioned in here (Acolytes). She is super attractive (and gets naked).

86455464.png

saw it on fast fwd cuz hot $@@## from Spartacus was in it...
so i should try again and slow it down?
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

and jw...sounds like you guys know indie music....anything else like Strange Mercy?
only checked it out cuz one dude had an Annie Clark avy
laugh.gif

not saying girl singer, just musically something else I might like.

I'd say it's worth a watch if you don't have substantially better options to choose from, but not a must-watch or anything. Only 85 minutes, too. 83% on Rotten Tomatoes (just six reviews, though).

As for St. Vincent, check out Dirty Projectors (and Angel Deradoorian, individually - she's in the band). Plenty of other !+%* to recommend, but that's always where I start when people ask me for "indie suggestions," especially if you're interested in female vocalists. They were different from anything I had ever heard before and I was blown away when I first listened to them. Bitte Orca is probably one of my favorite albums ever.

Dirty Projectors 
pimp.gif
But that might be a bit much for someone not versed in indie. For a more mainstream and accessible sound, check out Sufjan Stevens, the xx, Twin Sister, Girls, Best Coast, She and Him, and Phantogram, as far as some music that I'd group with St. Vincent in terms of "what else do I want to listen to in this mood" music.

Outside of that, one of my favorite new-%%+ bands in Warpaint. Not as lyrically dark as Annie Clark, but musically it's something I'd listen to on a lonely walk through a rainy downtown night.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Wow; loved it. I had no idea the cast was as stacked as it was until I saw the poster stand thing in the theater lobby, and every single one of them delivered. And I felt proud of myself for guessing the mole right
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
Even though it was over 2 hours and moved at a slow pace, time flew by. This is the only movie so far this year that's impressed me off the bat as much as Drive; can't wait for this to come out on blu ray where the sound isn't distorted in some parts like in the theater.

Just listened to that Dirty Projectors album a couple times. I liked Useful Chamber and No Intention. Lead dude reminds me of Edward Sharpe + Magnetic Zeros (I only know that dream song
laugh.gif
) or the guy who did that Satan song on the trailer for Choke. So sometimes impossible to understand and not my cup, sometimes just right for the song? Maybe the music was too slow or folky for me? I'll give it another listen with some lyrics out one of these days.
laugh.gif

None of that applies to Stillness Is The Move, though.
eek.gif
smokin.gif
... Angel might be my new obsession off that alone.
About to go check on Mind Raft.

And Nos...that's a lot of bands
laugh.gif
... I'll skip She & Him cuz I don't like her.
grin.gif

Any album(s) in particular from those?
I've been hearing Sufjan's name for forever, but just figured he was Matisyahu 2 for the longest.
So I'll try and check some of that too.

I second that Warpaint mention. Shannyn Sossamon used to be the drummer, so there's a little bit of movie trivia. Twin Sister is nice, too, but a lot of people can't stand her voice.
Angel might be my new obsession off that alone.
She's actually not the main female vocalist on that one, but they are both incredible. There's a third girl sometimes, too. Check out Solange's cover of it.

Originally Posted by DubA169

got a few chapters left in the 3rd book
absolutely insane

Really no words to describe all the shenanigans that went down in Book 3.

Best book in the series by far.

Wait 'til you read the Epilogue Dub.
eek.gif

I'll probably try out the Hunger Game books when I finish the last two GOT books.

Has HBO said how they're going to break up the books into seasons? I thought I remember reading the second book would be split into two seasons...

Has HBO said how they're going to break up the books into seasons? I thought I remember reading the second book would be split into two seasons...

My understanding is that one season corresponds to one book, but I also remember reading something about Clash of Kings maybe being spread out over two seasons.

No definitive word as of now. We'll probably find out more in the next few months because Season two starts airing in April.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

And Nos...that's a lot of bands
laugh.gif
... I'll skip She & Him cuz I don't like her.
grin.gif

Any album(s) in particular from those?
I've been hearing Sufjan's name for forever, but just figured he was Matisyahu 2 for the longest.
So I'll try and check some of that too.

Then I'll skip giving you any suggestions
grin.gif

Nah. Here:
Sufjan Stevens - 'Illinois,' 'Michigan' and, if you want a more electronic sound, 'Age of Adz.'
the xx - XX
Twin Sister - In Heaven
Girls - 'Album' and 'Father, Son, Holy Ghost'
Best Coast - Crazy For You
Phantogram - Eyelid Movies

Anyone ever catch this years remake of Straw Dogs? I really enjoyed it in theaters, and hadn't seen anyone else mention it that I remember. It was a fun thrill ride that really makes the viewer uncomfortable many times throughout. I'm a bit biased because this is the type of movie I just love, and I'm a fan of James Woods, Marsden (X-Men) and Skarsgard (Generation Kill, True Blood).

Saw 50/50 last night, not bad.  Predictable of course, but still enjoyed it.  Might be the most likable character Seth Rogen has ever played.  He was still himself, but played the best friend well.  JGL was terrific as always, and he and Anna K worked well together.  Really liked seeing Anjelica Houston, haven't seen her in forever and she was solid as the mom.  Doubt I'll ever check it out again or anything, but worth the watch. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Might be the most likable character Seth Rogen has ever played.  He was still himself, but played the best friend well. 
Seth Rogen literally played himself in that movie
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

So, went thru season one of Breaking Bad over the weekend.  Like it, don't love it, yet.  Walt is really the only character worth a damn to me so far.  The rest haven't done anything for me yet.  But I still have 2 more seasons on disk to get thru, then season 4, I'll see if things start to change for me.  But for comparison sake, I was LOCKED IN, Dexter season 1.  I couldn't wait for the next episode, and I haven't gotten this vibe as of yet.  Liked some things, but not sold yet on some stuff yet either. 

He goes alone to Tuco's place and blows up the building damn near with that rock that looks like Meth.  Walks out with the cash.  The final scene is in the junk yard where Tuco beats down his own man for speaking out of turn, and they watch in horror of who they are dealing with. 

Back
Top Bottom