Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

James Wan would have been interesting. I think Mike Flanagan would have been a good choice too. It's a shame Dr. Sleep bombed at the box office.

The trailer better than the movie is a tale as old as time.

This is probably a good thing, since we don’t want people thinking they can remake or reformat classics, like The Exorcist, Jaws, The Breakfast Club (a la, The Office).

The trailer better than the movie is a tale as old as time.
... and the trailer didn't look good. At aaaalll.

Some of you, I question if you even have standards for trailers, and some of you I question if you even have standards for movies. I mean your OWN critical standards. There are a few people for whom it seems like as long as a movie is made, it's an excellent movie, at least 5/8 just because it exists. Do you not have standards for trailers & posters & marketing before even sitting down to wash the movie? This new Exorcism missed on all my marks, but it's no secret that I usually say that about horrors. 😂🤷‍♂️

22% surprises me 0%.

Comedy and horror are two genres where I am particularly wary about putting too much stock in poor reviews from professional critics. But sometimes where there’s a lot of smoke there really is fire :lol:
Absolutely. That's why I mentioned being curious about personal standards for interest/criticism/praise. (Not that you were responding to me.)

For comedy, my standards for initial interest are definitely lower than for psychological thrillers or dramas or movies to be taken seriously, but I do still have pretty high standards. I don't just watch any ol' comedy that comes out. Very few, actually.

I mean same with horrors; it's just that very few measure up to even piquing my initial interest.

Just heard Ooh La La by Rod Stewart on a commercial, just want to again mention how underrated a comedy

IMG_1238.jpeg

Is.

Looks like David Gordon Green went the Rian Johnson route.

I wonder how he approaches the second film.

A struggling black Christian rapper in a rough neighborhood becomes possessed by the devil and starts dropping hardcore rap songs taking shots at Jesus and stuff. White music execs take notice thinking this is going to light the streets on fire and sign him right away. The rapper isn't fully aware of what's happening, but is taken aback of his newfound fame and fortune. The devil then has him diss his fellow labelmates, who are true to life gangbangers. Obviously this causes a bunch of beef and street stuff, but the devil wins and our rapper is caught up not just a spiritual war, but a street war as well.

And this is where the dilemma begins to unfold. Caught up in the battle between putting out good positive music vs negative music, and at the same time dealing with good vs evil, music beef, the film explores the horrors of the music industry while also touching on the Black American experience. A horror movie that turns out to be so much more than what is seen on the surface.

I'm surprised this wasn't didn't done with Halloween. Take Michael Myers to southside Chicago and have him cause mayhem.

A potentially new horror/hood classic!

So nobody has started Shining Girls? Not a single person to comment? You guys are out of shape.
Halloween too good.

Back
Top Bottom