Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

No, but I'm saying, it's annoying that we even have to ask that. When someone calls something good, how do people think that is even possible that they're speaking for a collective? What mental process is taking place for people to think someone says 'Good' and they are speaking for multiple people? I don't even understand how that question even comes up. 'Now when you say good, are you speaking for yourself or yourself plus a whole bunch of others? Why would someone even think that's what was meant?

"Man, this salad is good."
"Now, when you say good, do you mean that you think it's good, or do you mean that you've already polled the entire restaurant and they all think it's good?"

Me. Duh. Why would you even think I meant a collective?

It's a pointless qualifier that I truly don't understand and just wastes time.

If you said something was terrible, I wouldn't think 'Wow, I didn't know that his whole group and his whole family and his whole neighborhood thought that the movie was terrible.

That’s really not at all how opinions or these words work though. When someone says Michael Jordan is good they definitely are saying that from a perspective of right and wrong. Not that Mike is good (in my opinion).

Good is not really a personal word it’s a group and collective word. If someone said “this salad is good to me” then i’d understand it to mean they are only talking about their own opinion. if someone said this salad is good i’d always take it to mean that’s what the collective rating would be and i should be inclined to eat it if i were to eat a salad.

Just rewatched the last planet of the apes trilogy. (Dawn,rise,war) solid trilogy all around.
They were decent but I don’t remember most of any of them and anything I remember I don’t know what movie it was in. :lol:

When someone says Michael Jordan is good they definitely are saying that from a perspective of right and wrong. Not that Mike is good (in my opinion).
Whether they are saying that from a perspective of right/correct or wrong/incorrect was not the conversation.

Whether they are saying it as speaking for a collective or not was the conversation.

When someone says 'Michael Jordan is good,' they are absolutely not speaking for anyone other than their self.

Unless someone denotes that they are speaking for a group, their opinion is just that: theirs.

Currently.

First time:

IMG_0576.jpeg

hen someone says Michael Jordan is good they definitely are saying that from a perspective of right and wrong.
Actually, 'good' is subjective, and 'Michael Jordan is good' is an opinion based statement, so it CAN'T be right or wrong.

'The sun is made of cheese' is not an opinion. That is either right or wrong; in this case wrong.

'2 + 2 = purple' is an incorrect statement.

'2 + 2 is a simple math problem' is an opinion. That can neither be right or wrong.

'I like purple' is an opinion, and can neither be right or wrong.

'2 + 2 = purple' is wrong.

If someone said 'Michael Jordan sucks', know how I would respond?
Im gonna ask questions to clarify.
That's how. I would ask questions. I would absolutely NOT go 'No, what you just said is absolutely wrong because a bunch of people know he doesn't suck, so for you to say he sucks is obviously wrong because a bunch of people say he doesn't suck.'

That's just a flawed response on at least 2 or 3 levels.

'I mean I have him him pretty high up on my GOAT list and on most days, he's #1 for me... but why do you think he sucks? What's your criteria?'

And go from there.

But there are 3 fundamental flaws that are at the crux of this whole conversation:
1. That an individual's stated opinion has to align with the collective opinion (it doesn't).
2. People get uncomfortable with how to respond to confrontation/opinions different than their own.
3. That opinions/feelings are quantifiable facts (they're not).

"Well it sold a lot and a lot of people love it so you're wrong' is a flawed response to 'That sucked' for at least 2 of those 4 reasons.

'How so?'

The only worthy response to a different opinion is questions that lead to a better understanding, because right/correct or wrong/incorrect isn't even on the table.

So I’m towards the end of season 2 of The Sopranos.

And as I’m typing this I realize it’s THE Sopranos!

I think I went into this show with all the wrong impressions.

With that said, I’m still not seeing this as a Mount Rushmore show.

I’m trying to give this an honest shake.

So I’m towards the end of season 2 of The Sopranos.

And as I’m typing this I realize it’s THE Sopranos!

I think I went into this show with all the wrong impressions.

With that said, I’m still not seeing this as a Mount Rushmore show.

I’m trying to give this an honest shake.
You're eating an appetizer at a heralded restaurant right now, wondering what the big deal is.

If you finish it and you still hold the opinion that it's not Mt. Rushmore, I might ask some questions on how you arrived at that opinion, but I won't argue your opinion. It's not on my Mt. Rushmore (Breaking Bad, Wire, GoT, LOST), but it's right outside.

The setup in Sopranos, the writing, the intricacies, the rises of some and the epic falls/deaths of others... the ending of the series is dog*censored*, but it's the overall story that has put in people's Mt. Rushmore. Like I said, you're still eating the appetizer, going 'I mean, why am I not mystified yet?'
Now, if you tell me that you're not seeing anything spectacular at all, even up this point, not in the writing, not in the characters, not in the pacing and the framing and the dialogue, not NOTHING, then it's definitely just not your thing. No big deal.

If Shazam Fury of the Gods has made $8.8M off the budget is that a W :lol: who gets what piece of the pie

Are there any movie moments that you guys find unintentionally funny?

**SPOILER!!! do not watch this if you’ve never seen Mystic River.

“He punched me? Broke my nose?”

I don’t know why but I laugh hysterically, when it’s supposed to be very serious.

Back
Top Bottom