Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

George Clooney’s arrogance and determination, him knowing the storm was bad but knowing

IMG_0570.gif

Mark Wahlberg and Diane Lane’s chemistry was incredible, even when most of their scenes were off screen from each other

The bar scene at the beginning

William Fichter and John C Reilly’s relationship + “this is gonna hard on my boy”

There’s just so much, it doesn’t have to be a good ending, it just has to be good.

George Clooney’s arrogance and determination, him knowing the storm was bad but knowing

IMG_0570.gif

Mark Wahlberg and Diane Lane’s chemistry was incredible, even when most of their scenes were off screen from each other

William Fichter and John C Reilly’s relationship + “this is gonna hard on my boy”

There’s just so much, it doesn’t have to be a good ending, it just has to be good.
I can dig it.

I think the strong point of the movie is actually everything you just spoke to: character development. That's the only A+ I would give the movie.

C CP1708 , what is your criteria for something being a good movie?

What is your criteria for something being a bad movie?

Oh that can be a huge range. And obviously it's extremely subjective.

Original. Well written. Well performed. Popularity (rating). Well shot/directed. Entertaining/engagement.

Not all films hit every mark. But hit a couple, you got something.

Scream NAILED engagement. Opening scene alone had me bouncing in my seat with glee. It was very smartly written. I don't know if it was well shot and no real memorable performances above and beyond, just a really solid job by the cast overall. Popularity wise it was big. Not only pop culture but also spin off type hype. (I know what you did last Summer was greenlit immediately thereafter cuz same writer) It also created like 5-6 Scary Movie Spoofs, a TV series, Sequels, Reboots, the works.

Good Will hunting was brilliantly written. GREAT performances from Robin, Matt and Ben. Original as hell. Again, I don't know if it was well directed or not, but definitely kept me engaged.

Bad movie would be something that doesn't hit anything. Poor everything. Think The Happening. I just saw it with Blue Beetle. The movie tried, it had heart, but it just didn't hit any of the marks. And note, I love the lead kid because he's great in Cobra Kai, but he couldn't carry this role/film by himself, Cobra Kai he doesn't have to because of all the other parts they got right.

Sharknado isn't a "good" movie, but it had something that hit the mark with the audience. Tara Reid hiding out in a liquor store while Sharks fly thru the air? :wow: :lol: :rofl: (Emphasis on Tara Reid hiding in a liquor store, that alone deserved an Oscar :lol: )

IMG_0570.gif

I fell asleep in the theaters when this came out. Bored me to death. This is a great breakdown of what you liked about it though. I might give it another chance.
I've never watched Sharknado

Now I need to

Same!!!

“You can be blasè about some things Rose, but not about Titanic”

1692655847671.gif

Haha he knows so much stats. Such a gentleman 😀

Last edited:
Thread is in shambles
If multiple people in this thread have lots of great takes, are down-to-earth and easy to deal with, give great reviews, not mention this is a thread has some of nicest people in the general forum, then you and I have a very different definition of “shambles”

If you really want to witness an example of bad vibes, check out the food thread

Original. Well written. Well performed. Popularity (rating). Well shot/directed. Entertaining/engagement.
This is exactly why I asked. I had a feeling we were very different in our critical analysis of movies, and I see that we very much are.

- Original.
- Well written.
- Well performed.
- Popularity (rating).
- Well shot/directed.
- Entertaining/engagement.

Follow up: What is the single most important element of all of those?

Back
Top Bottom