Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I was surprised, that article wasn't filled with know-it-all pretentious ramblings that Simmons usually drivels on and on about. He's an +#! half the time

I've been saying the same thing about Smith for awhile, entertaining, likable, a hell of a movie star, but a disappointing actor when you look at his whole career.

I was surprised, that article wasn't filled with know-it-all pretentious ramblings that Simmons usually drivels on and on about. He's an +#! half the time

I've been saying the same thing about Smith for awhile, entertaining, likable, a hell of a movie star, but a disappointing actor when you look at his whole career.

Really good article. I swear Simmons does pop culture better than sports...and kinda wish he would've talked about women movie stars too.

Really good article. I swear Simmons does pop culture better than sports...and kinda wish he would've talked about women movie stars too.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

That's probably coming.  With the NBA and NFL locked out, he's probably going to be writing about non-sports topics a lot more frequently. 

That's probably coming.  With the NBA and NFL locked out, he's probably going to be writing about non-sports topics a lot more frequently. 

Originally Posted by lawdog1

This thread gonna get real cozy for me if these lockouts last. 
30t6p3b.gif

This thread gonna get real cozy for me if these lockouts last. 
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

To be honest, I've long been a little puzzled by the Will Smith mystique.  While I think he's talented and have definitely liked a number of his movies (and the Fresh Prince), I've always felt his popularity was a little out of proportion.  I don't know how to articulate it exactly, I've just never felt like Will Smith does anything better than a lot of his peers.  Yet, he's way more successful that most of them.     

To be honest, I've long been a little puzzled by the Will Smith mystique.  While I think he's talented and have definitely liked a number of his movies (and the Fresh Prince), I've always felt his popularity was a little out of proportion.  I don't know how to articulate it exactly, I've just never felt like Will Smith does anything better than a lot of his peers.  Yet, he's way more successful that most of them.     

Originally Posted by DubA169

great article

Yep. I never really realized how little chances Smith has taken in his career. Makes me wish he was Django even more now
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by DubA169

great article

Yep. I never really realized how little chances Smith has taken in his career. Makes me wish he was Django even more now
30t6p3b.gif

I read that Simmons article this morning and while I thought it was good and touched on many good things, he was off base on a bunch of things as well.
--------

"Fact: People believe Will Smith is the world's biggest movie star (even though he doesn't make great movies).

Fact: People believe Ryan Reynolds is a movie star (even though he isn't)." ---- spot on

When he talks about Renolds' movies and best roles/best acting performance I'd say it was in "Buried."

"That makes Reynolds someone like Alex Smith: he's a no. 1 draft pick, he has all the tools, you can easily talk yourself into him being good … and then, six games into the season, you realize that you're not making the Super Bowl with Alex Smith." ----- THAT'S THE BEST THING I'VE READ IN A LONG TIME...LOVE THAT COMPARISON...FUNNY BUT SO TRUE

"See, people like Will Smith because he's never given them a reason not to like them. He would never play an evil cop like Denzel did (Training Day); he doesn't want us to see Evil Will Smith. He would never play someone trapped in a damaging 1950's marriage like Leo did (Revolutionary Road); he doesn't want us to think about Bad Husband Will Smith. " ---- I think this is a big thing lacking in Smith's resume...he should play an evil role...idk if he can but It's an interesting role to tackle.

My issue with Smith is sort of like Denzel's...they have been typecasted...they don't have much range, lately at least, it seems like both of them in their last handful of films play similar characters. And I understand, if you are good at something stick with it, why deviate but I think Smith needs to branch out.

I read that Simmons article this morning and while I thought it was good and touched on many good things, he was off base on a bunch of things as well.
--------

"Fact: People believe Will Smith is the world's biggest movie star (even though he doesn't make great movies).

Fact: People believe Ryan Reynolds is a movie star (even though he isn't)." ---- spot on

When he talks about Renolds' movies and best roles/best acting performance I'd say it was in "Buried."

"That makes Reynolds someone like Alex Smith: he's a no. 1 draft pick, he has all the tools, you can easily talk yourself into him being good … and then, six games into the season, you realize that you're not making the Super Bowl with Alex Smith." ----- THAT'S THE BEST THING I'VE READ IN A LONG TIME...LOVE THAT COMPARISON...FUNNY BUT SO TRUE

"See, people like Will Smith because he's never given them a reason not to like them. He would never play an evil cop like Denzel did (Training Day); he doesn't want us to see Evil Will Smith. He would never play someone trapped in a damaging 1950's marriage like Leo did (Revolutionary Road); he doesn't want us to think about Bad Husband Will Smith. " ---- I think this is a big thing lacking in Smith's resume...he should play an evil role...idk if he can but It's an interesting role to tackle.

My issue with Smith is sort of like Denzel's...they have been typecasted...they don't have much range, lately at least, it seems like both of them in their last handful of films play similar characters. And I understand, if you are good at something stick with it, why deviate but I think Smith needs to branch out.

smith hasn't been typecasted like denzel. Think he turns down a number of differant roles. just like the Diajo unchained

smith hasn't been typecasted like denzel. Think he turns down a number of differant roles. just like the Diajo unchained

nerd.gif
Denzel Washington is not typecasted, he's a movie star. You're mistaking familiarity for conformity.
And
laugh.gif
@Shaun

nerd.gif
Denzel Washington is not typecasted, he's a movie star. You're mistaking familiarity for conformity.
And
laugh.gif
@Shaun

I like to liken Will's success to that one dope dude in high school that everybody loved talking slash hanging out with. He also really owes that likeness to NBC for giving The Fresh Prince a chance. If he started his career any other way no one would love him as much as they do now.

Matrix too. His career is a weird one when you think about it. He's capable of doing great films, but for some reason he doesn't. I've got a feeling he just doesn't like taking chances and always goes with the safe pick that he knows is gonna entertain people (that's why I like to call him a movie star more so than an actor).

And I'm about to go out so I'll probably read that Simmons article tomorrow. I've actually never read any of his stuff even though I have his book Kindled.

Back
Top Bottom