Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Originally Posted by lawdog1

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I was surprised, that article wasn't filled with know-it-all pretentious ramblings that Simmons usually drivels on and on about. He's an +#! half the time

I've been saying the same thing about Smith for awhile, entertaining, likable, a hell of a movie star, but a disappointing actor when you look at his whole career.
To be honest, I've long been a little puzzled by the Will Smith mystique.  While I think he's talented and have definitely liked a number of his movies (and the Fresh Prince), I've always felt his popularity was a little out of proportion.  I don't know how to articulate it exactly, I've just never felt like Will Smith does anything better than a lot of his peers.  Yet, he's way more successful that most of them.     

I like to liken Will's success to that one dope dude in high school that everybody loved talking slash hanging out with. He also really owes that likeness to NBC for giving The Fresh Prince a chance. If he started his career any other way no one would love him as much as they do now.

smith hasn't been typecasted like denzel. Think he turns down a number of differant roles. just like the Diajo unchained

Matrix too. His career is a weird one when you think about it. He's capable of doing great films, but for some reason he doesn't. I've got a feeling he just doesn't like taking chances and always goes with the safe pick that he knows is gonna entertain people (that's why I like to call him a movie star more so than an actor).

And I'm about to go out so I'll probably read that Simmons article tomorrow. I've actually never read any of his stuff even though I have his book Kindled.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Denzel limited range? 
ohwell.gif
I don't agree that doesn't have range, but on the other hand, he hasn't exactly been branching out a lot lately.  Some of his roles have seemed kind of similar in the last few years.  He hasn't really done anything all that different since Training Day or when he played Iago in Othello a few years ago.  
I read someone make the same criticism of Leo recently.  He seems to only do very intense dramas.  The writer was saying how they would love to see Leo do a comedy, to see if he could pull it off.  I kind of agree.  It would be interesting.   

Originally Posted by CP1708

Denzel limited range? 
ohwell.gif
I don't agree that doesn't have range, but on the other hand, he hasn't exactly been branching out a lot lately.  Some of his roles have seemed kind of similar in the last few years.  He hasn't really done anything all that different since Training Day or when he played Iago in Othello a few years ago.  
I read someone make the same criticism of Leo recently.  He seems to only do very intense dramas.  The writer was saying how they would love to see Leo do a comedy, to see if he could pull it off.  I kind of agree.  It would be interesting.   

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I can't see Leo in a straight comedy but he'd be perfect for a dark comedy like In Bruges.

I was gonna say the same thing.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I can't see Leo in a straight comedy but he'd be perfect for a dark comedy like In Bruges.

I was gonna say the same thing.

Let Kev catch ya'll doubtin Leo and there'll be hell to pay.
laugh.gif
Leo can do anything. There should be no question. I don't need to see him play Ace Ventura to know that.

Let Kev catch ya'll doubtin Leo and there'll be hell to pay.
laugh.gif
Leo can do anything. There should be no question. I don't need to see him play Ace Ventura to know that.

I'm just starting to like Leo, after hating him for years beginning with the first movie I saw from him (Titanic). The Departed turned my opinion of him around towards the positive.

If he attempted comedy, I'd go back to calling him DiCrappio. He's not a comic. It would go over as well as Damon in Stuck On You.

Oh... great article.
smokin.gif
"Then you realize... you're not going to the Super Bowl with Matt Ryan."
roll.gif

And I wouldn't re-gift I-Robot, I Am Legend, or Seven Pounds. :/ I... actually... really liked Seven Pounds. :/

I'm just starting to like Leo, after hating him for years beginning with the first movie I saw from him (Titanic). The Departed turned my opinion of him around towards the positive.

If he attempted comedy, I'd go back to calling him DiCrappio. He's not a comic. It would go over as well as Damon in Stuck On You.

Oh... great article.
smokin.gif
"Then you realize... you're not going to the Super Bowl with Matt Ryan."
roll.gif

And I wouldn't re-gift I-Robot, I Am Legend, or Seven Pounds. :/ I... actually... really liked Seven Pounds. :/

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

That's why it'd be a challenge. Give DiCapprio a strong script in any genre, and I have faith he would be great. Even a comedy.

Sidenote: that comment made me wonder what other comedies Damon's been in. I head over to IMDB, and my mind just got blown like never before. Matt Damon was in Eurotrip, singing 'Scotty Doesnt Know.' Mind = @#$#!! in half.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

That's why it'd be a challenge. Give DiCapprio a strong script in any genre, and I have faith he would be great. Even a comedy.

Sidenote: that comment made me wonder what other comedies Damon's been in. I head over to IMDB, and my mind just got blown like never before. Matt Damon was in Eurotrip, singing 'Scotty Doesnt Know.' Mind = @#$#!! in half.

How'd you miss that?
laugh.gif

On a related note, Kristin Kreuk
pimp.gif

although, even her attractiveness couldn't save that Street Fighter: Chun-Li from being one of the worst films ever made.

How'd you miss that?
laugh.gif

On a related note, Kristin Kreuk
pimp.gif

although, even her attractiveness couldn't save that Street Fighter: Chun-Li from being one of the worst films ever made.

No hair
Tattoos
Piercings
Singing
Comedy film

But for real I have no idea
laugh.gif
I've seen that movie like 10 times, and just never noticed it. Oh well. I learned something new today
smokin.gif

No hair
Tattoos
Piercings
Singing
Comedy film

But for real I have no idea
laugh.gif
I've seen that movie like 10 times, and just never noticed it. Oh well. I learned something new today
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom