Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

calibeebee calibeebee enjoy the greatness that is The Wire.

Be patient with season 2. It's a complete shift from season 1, one that could be difficult to take at first, but once you push through it and finish the entire series you'll come to appreciate how pivotal season 2 was for the rest of the series.

For me, this show is an all time great show already... Each ep was perfectly crafted with drama, humor, social commentary, strangeness rolled all into one... These scenes had my, my wife, & our 14 yr old howling with laughter...

Last edited:
Saw Deadpool 2 tonight, from the Fox thread.

Non-spoiler thoughts

- It took what we liked about the first one and double downed on it. It added a bit more emotion and depth, while still being a Deadpool movie.
- The action, CGI, fight scenes were awesome... even though it goes overboard on purpose, it makes me wish this was the kind of X-Men movies we had gotten..
- The self-referential jokes could have been dialed back a bit.. yeah, I know what movie this is, but just saying. One or two less would have been fine.
- The jokes and humor were good, I don't know if it was because of this obnoxious couple behind me or that the guy next to me was clearly dying because I could hear his stomach grumbling and I swear he had a dead tooth or something, but I wasn't laughing as much as the first one. Having said that, I still laughed out loud repeatedly and the jokes really landed at a great rate. They managed to still make a good superhero movie as well as a good comedy.
- If you liked/loved the first one, there's no reason you shouldn't like/love this one.
- Cable was awesome.. Brolin really killed it and I really want to see more of him. Domino was also great, Zazie Beetz is incredible.. you can't take your eyes off her.

Spoiler thoughts
The cameos were incredible.

Brad Pitt, the X-Men, going back to Wolverine Origins, Reynolds, and THE JUGGERNAUT oh yeah.

It almost makes up for that awful Juggernaut we got in X-3... almost.

Colossus vs Juggernaut was awesome. The time travel mid-credits was hilarious and I'm torn on how they brought back Vanessa. Yes, it kind of takes away some of the emotional weight of the movie, which I think they actually did a really great job of... but on the other hand, Morena Baccarin is great character in the movie and I want more of her. The critical part of my brain says it's a lame move, but the other part says whatever, it's Deadpool. I like how they handled her death, Wade trying to get to her, and her sending him away, but I wish she was in more of the movie.

I'm a little bummed at all of the X-Force characters dying, but the way they did it was hilarious... plus, they cheated and time travel :lol:

The movie delivered. I had low expectations, I would have taken something less than we got and said "Hey, it's a sequel, can't capture the magic again". I think it did. It gave you what you liked, then gave you more of it without feeling repetitive. Adding the kid, X-Force, Cable, all managed to keep it fresh enough while focusing on the Deadpool antics we came to see.

Deadpool 2 6.2/8
DP2 seem to force a lot of jokes as being clever which took away from what was great about the first movie. The plot seemed a little messy and never got to its full potential with the small cast it had. Maybe I'm still high off infinity war but the movie gave me the thor ragnarok vibes with the comedy.

I knew DP2 was closing into an average SH movie tier when I started dozing off in the theater.

Cable was awesome.. Brolin really killed it and I really want to see more of him. Domino was also great, Zazie Beetz is incredible.. you can't take your eyes off her.

Brolin is really coming into his own... 3 big movies this summer. Can't wait for Sicario later this summer... Introduced my father in law to the first one & taking him to lunch & the 2nd one when it drops...

Zazie Beetz is my new BAE.. Her along with Tessa Thompson...

Damon and Affleck crime drama about ‘Boston Miracle’ picked up to series by Showtime
matt-damon-ben-affleck-red-carpet-850x478$large.jpeg

Showtime has officially ordered 12 episodes of the Boston-based crime drama “City on a Hill.”

According to a press release from the premium cable channel, the show is based on an original idea by Ben Affleck, who will serve as executive producer of the show alongside Matt Damon through their production company, Pearl Street Films.

“City on a Hill” is based on the anti-crime effort in the mid-’90s known alternately as the “Boston Miracle” and “Operation Ceasefire” that reduced homicides in the city through targeting of high-volume crime areas, illegal gun trafficking, and gang violence.

Set in a 1990s Boston that is “rife with violent criminals emboldened by local law enforcement agencies in which corruption and racism was the norm,” according to the release, the show is a fictional account of two law enforcement officials who help bring down a family of armored car robbers from Charlestown. As the duo — an assistant district attorney from Brooklyn (Aldis Hodge) and a “corrupt yet venerated FBI veteran” (Kevin Bacon) — continue to investigate the armed robbers, their case eventually “grows to involve, and ultimately subvert, the entire criminal justice system of Boston,” the release says.

Wallace :smh: :frown:

Guess it's just part of the game :smh:

Edit:

The Wire Season 1. 7/8
This first season is legendary man. It was like a novel the way everything played out. At times, with the dudes in the pit, it was like a Shakespeare play or something.

cfd57cc870aa6fef2dda6189e2875269.jpg

Full circle man. Full circle.

Last edited:
Saw this before Deadpool

If you want to go in blind and not watch the trailer...probably the smart move but man...

Looks better than I thought and has a few stars in it.

For some reason not surprised Uma us in it.

Last edited:
Nerve 6/8

It was good until it became a movie with a message about society and their morals and groupthink/passive cruelty.

Franco was good. :lol: @ MGK in this. Emily Meade :evil:

Think I'll get around to Disobedience and First Reformed tomorrow.

Watching Farenheit 451 now

Damon and Affleck crime drama about ‘Boston Miracle’ picked up to series by Showtime
matt-damon-ben-affleck-red-carpet-850x478$large.jpeg

Showtime has officially ordered 12 episodes of the Boston-based crime drama “City on a Hill.”

According to a press release from the premium cable channel, the show is based on an original idea by Ben Affleck, who will serve as executive producer of the show alongside Matt Damon through their production company, Pearl Street Films.

“City on a Hill” is based on the anti-crime effort in the mid-’90s known alternately as the “Boston Miracle” and “Operation Ceasefire” that reduced homicides in the city through targeting of high-volume crime areas, illegal gun trafficking, and gang violence.

Set in a 1990s Boston that is “rife with violent criminals emboldened by local law enforcement agencies in which corruption and racism was the norm,” according to the release, the show is a fictional account of two law enforcement officials who help bring down a family of armored car robbers from Charlestown. As the duo — an assistant district attorney from Brooklyn (Aldis Hodge) and a “corrupt yet venerated FBI veteran” (Kevin Bacon) — continue to investigate the armed robbers, their case eventually “grows to involve, and ultimately subvert, the entire criminal justice system of Boston,” the release says.

so basically the town the series
sign me the **** up

nice to see voodoo tatum still in things

finally about to finish the sopranos, this fever dream arc w/ tony/kevin finnerty in costa mesa is amazing

"do i really look that much like this guy??"
"well, to a certain extent all caucasians look alike" :rofl:

few years back i stayed at a telly in costa mesa for two weeks these eps are making me crave in n out :lol:

i did damage at the one on harbor blvd.

Oh my Odin, Disobedience is so great right now.

Rachel Weisz titty in Rachel McAdams mouth. Fingering each other and putting their fingers in each other's mouths

:evil:

9/8!

First Reformed 6.7/8

Oh man this was good. I needed a movie tackling discussions around religions role in politics that are more world issues and concerns than politics. Started off with questioning faith, the despair of man and I was sold.

Ethan Hawke was great. This is so well written. Really brought out his talent and strengths with the overall narration he gave. Some real believable introspection given the character's situation.

Then the movie got a little bit weird. Synopsis/premise says he begins to spiral after a shocking point half way in the movie but the way its portrayed it was so well hidden like somebody you would be shocked to discover is an alcoholic. Scenes establish that path and one hints at it when its well underway but going that extreme with it.

Seyfried was cool in this. That one actor who is in a lot of stuff and always plays the a-hole (the dog guy from The Leftovers)

My only complaint is The ending reminded me a bit of You Were Never Really Here. Ends abruptly.

I forgot to review this before (a year ago) but I happened to watch it again.

Silence 6.6/8

Another religious focused joint, this time by my boy Marty. Pretty long movie but it definitely paid off. Basically some Portugese priests trying to bring back Christianity to Japan while also looking for a priest that was their mentor that they haven't heard from in years and the Japanese basically killing and beating all Japanese Christians to get back on that Buddha grind, and torturing the priests to get them to apostatize. And I'm talking some pretty cruel ****

For the first half of the movie I must say Garfield and Driver make a real good pairing. Would like to see them together in a couple more flicks.

The story had a real good flow to it and poetry to the struggle and trials the ppl and priests go through. While the shogun basically publicly win, secretly the priests still hold on to their faith.

Liam Neeson was perfectly cast to be the guy to say bringing Christ to Japan was never successful and never will be cuz the ppl don't understand. The translation never is properly conveyed. To them the son of God is the Sun of god and it rises daily. Son broke it down harshly to disillusion Harfield's character.

My fav character and moments are with Mokichi. The can't get right of Christians. Son was on his Ravages of Time LuBu grind the way he would easily and instantly denounce Jesus and Christianity to save his skin. Spitting on crosses, stepping on the "face" of Jesus, snitching on the priests :lol: and after each transgression son asks forgiveness and to give his confession and the priest is forced to do it :lol:

Is it any good?
Oh its very good besides that

I'm not that informed on the religion and culture of orthodox Jews so it was a nice dose of anthropology to closer examine that world, how they operate, what's expected of men and women, the community, etc.

The movie is pretty quiet. I can see some saying it dragged a but to start but its just establishing how dry this environment is to get to the more jovial moments and then the seedy parts.

Good acting from Weisz and McAdams.

I have no clue of the name of the actor that plays the husband cuz he straight up looks like a Jewishman but he was also good.

Watched Coherence last night and now I feel so stupid :lol:

Gonna have to read spoilers make more sense of what I just saw.

So far Patrick Melrose has been stellar... either Hugo Weaving hasn’t been in enough projects ovI haven’t seen enough of his filmography. He played the father brilliantly. What an absolutely terrifying man & Weaving didn’t have to scream & shot a la Al Pachino or something. There were so many subtleties in his performance of playing a monster. He should flat out win an Emmy & a golden globe for this. It’s an absolute miracle his ficticious son doesn’t commit suicide...

Yeah he's been good. Show is great.

Ep2 did throw me though as it was mostly flashback and I was expecting more Cumberbatch.

Back
Top Bottom