Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Moonlight was a really well made film. Amazing to hear Aretha Franklin - One Step towards the end.

That song perfectly tells his story with Kevin.

One Step Ahead

I'm only one step ahead of heartbreak
One step ahead of misery
One step is all I have to take
Backwards, to be the same old fool for you
I used to be
I'm only one step ahead of your arms
One kiss away from your sweet lips
I know I can't afford to stop for one moment
'Cause I'm just out of reach of your fingertips
Your warm breath on my shoulder
Keeps reminding me
That it's too soon to forget you
It's too late to be free, can't you see?
I'm only one step ahead of your love
I try and yet I can't take two
Seems like I'll have to take that one step backwards
'Cause one step ahead is a step too far away from you.
Just one step ahead is a step too far away from you.

Great catch! Got put on to this song from Mos Def Ms. Fatbooty

Damn, I just caught the Shooter finale and it was pretty good.

Is the show worth the watch?
Yes.

More of that gun fighting action and a strong plot filled with conspiracy and political intrigue while staying grounded to the lifestyle of a sniper/vet.

Caught - The Untouchables - tonight. 5.5/8 Really enjoyed it. De Palma is solid. Sean Connery crawling after 30 shots though had me 
roll.gif

Moonlight was a really well made film. Amazing to hear Aretha Franklin - One Step towards the end.

That song perfectly tells his story with Kevin.

One Step Ahead

I'm only one step ahead of heartbreak
One step ahead of misery
One step is all I have to take
Backwards, to be the same old fool for you
I used to be
I'm only one step ahead of your arms
One kiss away from your sweet lips
I know I can't afford to stop for one moment
'Cause I'm just out of reach of your fingertips
Your warm breath on my shoulder
Keeps reminding me
That it's too soon to forget you
It's too late to be free, can't you see?
I'm only one step ahead of your love
I try and yet I can't take two
Seems like I'll have to take that one step backwards
Just one step ahead is a step too far away from you.

Great catch! Got put on to this song from Mos Def Ms. Fatbooty
Best Time of Rap Music, I thought. Mid to late 90's before the Bling and Material Music was Ushered in and forever changed the scope of Rap.

On my to watch list.

Untouchables
Blade Runner
Do the Right Thing

Movies peole rave about that I will never see.

Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
Vertigo
Hell probably any movie pre 85 at this point.
95% of these Disney/Pixar films

I' suggest you get on Do the Right Thing right away.

Casablanca is worth the watch too but if you put time limits on movies based on what year they come out don't bother probably not for you.

Only peep Vertigo if you a Hitchcock fan.

Never saw Gone with the Wind in its entirety myself. Too long and I find it to be overrated. Not to mention the historical revisionist tactics in depicting slavery and racism.

Last edited:
What?

giphy.gif

46.gif

tumblr_m2e61sidMk1qzd72oo1_500.gif

You missing some good Connery and one of DeNiro's most entertaining performances.

lmaoo connery's character is hilarious

that scene in Union Station :wow:

arrival - 7.25/8 what a fresh take on alien invasions. crazy to think that villaneuve has released this, enemy, prisoners and sicario in about 3 years time. he's like wu-tang in 95-'96. I'm going to try to watch Incendies and his earlier work soon

moonlight - 7/8 was expecting to be a little more blown away b/c of all the hype but still loved this. knew i had seen teenage Chiron some where else before --- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2635006/?ref_=nv_sr_1

next up- La La Land

TBH, I've been mostly underwhelmed by the "classic" films I've seen that came out before roughly the 70s. I'm glad I watched both Citizen Kane and Casablanca, but have no desire to watch either again. Couldn't get through more than 30 minutes of Gone with the Wind. I do like most Hitchcock movies though.

I heard citizen kane isn't a fun watch.

Finally finished the ten commandments last year. Never finished casablanca. Still need to finish young frankenstein.

Citizen Kane isn't suppose to be a fun watch. Interesting? Sure and maybe mysteriously thrilling/intriguing if the plot grabs you.

As for movies in general, I feel if you gotta put cut off points based on decade or year you're doing it wrong.

I've seen all the 2016 movies i can in theaters. The rest imma see when they drop digitally.

Top 14 2016

14. The Nice Guys
13. The Lobster
12. Moonlight
11. Rogue One
10. The Mermaid
9. Shin Godzilla
8. Arrival
7. American Honey
6. The Handmaiden
5. The Witch
4. Silence
3. OJ: Made in America
2. La La Land
1. Manchester By The Sea

Still need to see:
Jackie
Nocturnal Animals
Hell or High water
Midnight Special
Green room
Toni erdmann

If it's not enjoyable to watch i'll turn it off. Tried to watch bronson after people said it was awesome. After 20-25 I couldn't watch anymore.

Margot Robbie bae as tonya harding.

Bronson is a challenge, but I feel like if you stick with it, it pays off so much. Not to mention you see Tom Hardy really get his first shot at a "crazy" person. The acting was phenomenal imo; seeing that movie made Hardy a must-watch actor for me.

As for movies in general, I feel if you gotta put cut off points based on decade or year you're doing it wrong.
This may be true to you or for you but it's not the case for me, and I don't think "I'm doing it wrong".

I won't speak for Lawdog or anyone but I will say for me personally I do have cut off points based on a lot of things and "decades" or time period is one of them.

I only have 24hours in each day and when I do dedicate a certain time of it for Films, certain projects just aren't going to make my cut. It's nothing against films of the 70's or before, but those just don't interest me at this point in my life.

I used to not watch anything Sci-fi or with Robots and Beasts, but that was a certain period in my early to mid 20's, now I have a mind or stomach for them BUT, I can't sit through a modern day Rom-com when in my early 20's I'd eat a lot of those.

I wasn't doing it wrong, I was just watching what spoke to me, intrigued me.

Last edited:
Citizen Kane is a depressing film

:frown:
But still one of the best. I'm so happy my film class in college had this one screened, or I'm not sure I'd ever watch it. Ended up being transfixed, and I completely understand why it gets the praise it does. Depressing yes, but such a perfectly told tragedy.

This may be true to you or for you but it's not the case for me, and I don't think "I'm doing it wrong".
That's okay. I don't really care to discuss it. I just think you're doing it wrong if you need to check if the movie came out in '79 or '80 before you watch it. Goes for tv as well.

I just watch movies based on word of mouth, if they sound interesting, etc. I don't need to check the release date. Seems super arbitrary and a good way to miss out on really good-classic movies.

Oh it's even worse if you're not watching something based off genre. That's Anti-Dope all R&B is bad territory. Especially if you realize some of this is based on how old you are.

Citizen Kane is a depressing film

:frown:
But still one of the best. I'm so happy my film class in college had this one screened, or I'm not sure I'd ever watch it. Ended up being transfixed, and I completely understand why it gets the praise it does. Depressing yes, but such a perfectly told tragedy.
tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Saw Arrival last night. Thought it was cool. The pacing felt like it was a little too slow but I felt rewarded by the end. Nice spin on the sci-fi genre. Amy Adams was solid. Could have done without Renner (like most of his appearances in films :lol:).

6/8

That's okay. I don't really care to discuss it. 
Thank God.

When I realized it was you I'd quoted I actually almost deleted the post.

I was hoping it wouldn't turn into a 20 post debate over 2 different outlooks.

Could have done without Renner (like most of his appearances in films :lol:).
ha! i don't really get the renner slander but you're def not the only one that voices that opinion. same with the tons of jlaw dislike. i've enjoyed both of them well enough in the movies that i've watched.

Back
Top Bottom