Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

wonder how i'll feel about moana when i see it. i'm thinking that pacific islanders are viewing it through sensitive eyes. i'm not hawaiian but my wife and son are. i'm guessing they both love it when we go.

wonder how i'll feel about moana when i see it. i'm thinking that pacific islanders are viewing it through sensitive eyes. i'm not hawaiian but my wife and son are. i'm guessing they both love it when we go.

I'm not Hawaiian but my country is an island from the Pacific. Idk, I couldn't pick out anything offensive.

I'm sure ultra sensitive ppl will still find a way to be offended somehow.

Last edited:
Race. It was solid. Nothing spectacular. I don't know if the story wasn't that impactful or if the actors weren't up to the task but I didn't get the full weight of the situation.

Its pre WW2, Olympic games in Nazi Germany, and they managed to only navigate the surface of racism towards black ppl in America and anti-semitism in Germany.

They did do somewhat of a good job showing some unity as athletes between Jews and Black ppl and then one German athlete. Something that is a common theme in future Olympics where the competition trumps hatred especially among the best atheletes.

In the end this was more about Jesse Owens skill and talent, his rise as an important figure, and his coach.

5.5/8

Eddie the Eagle. Fun little flick but it was like they ain't know if they wanted to go full on comedy then drama or if this was a real underdog story. Maybe it's just cuz dude was such a weirdo goofball looking spaz and they wanted to stay true to characters it made it hard for writers.

Another Olympics joint. It was pretty by the numbers minus a love interest which I appreciated. Jackman's character just seemed like Jackman minus being a drunk or loser. This is the 80s though so even dealing with the best ski jumping atheletes these characters either come off pretty normal or like HS jock bullies.

It was a fun joint though. I know I'll have it on in the background for many days to come just to watch this guy cometely screw the landing :lol:

5.8/8

I'm not Hawaiian but my country is an island from the Pacific. Idk, I couldn't pick out anything offensive.

I'm sure ultra sensitive ppl will still find a way to be offended somehow.
there was already a huge outcry that got the maui costume pulled from the shelves. if moana was voiced by a caucasian, i guarantee there would have been complaints.

This needs to be done....again...

MV5BMTgxNzc1MzMwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk3MjUyNA@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I watched it for the first time a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it.

Last edited:
My favorite genre is psychological thriller --- will be watching a few inspired by this topic --

Triangle

Mr Brooks

The Spanish Prisoner

Solaris

The Invitation

Pi

High Tension

which solaris? original or remake? i got the criterion collection dvd at my mom's house somewhere. haven't seen mr brooks since it came out but i enjoyed that movie. pi and haute tension were great too.

I tried watching Charlie Wilson's War several times the past 2 weeks just cuz it's Mike Nichols and the cast filled with my fav actors; Hanks, Adams, Blunt, Hoffman.

Just never could get in the mood or it grab my full attention to watch the entire thing. Just always was something else better on.

Last edited:
That's pretty much on par with exactly what I've heard about those three movies. I've heard excellent things about Arrival, pretty good things about Moana, and meh things about Fantastic Beasts.

I mean, is 5.5 'meh' for you?

Last edited:
Allied 5/8

Cop Car 4/8

Are You Here 4.5/8

Dazed and Confused 5.5/8

Child 44 5/8

Ride Along 2 3/8

Trying to see one or two movies today... Maybe Bleed For This or Moana.

Just saw The Handmaiden last night and wow.

8/8, Park Chan Wook is just the man.

Amazing performances from the top 3 actors, phenomenal cinematography and of course great twists.

Just a beautiful film visually that gives you many different elements without losing direction.

Also was very easy to watch the actresses scenes together. :nerd: :pimp:

Don't know if I had posted about Cop Car already or forgot to but yeah, meh.

Wanted more from Bacon in a role Like that just reading the summary. Then I saw it. I know what thwybwere going for but the kids weren't good enough actors or the writing wasn't strong enough. Just felt boring anlt parts and that ending.

Last edited:
That's pretty much on par with exactly what I've heard about those three movies. I've heard excellent things about Arrival, pretty good things about Moana, and meh things about Fantastic Beasts.

I mean, it's 5.5 'meh' for you?

Pretty meh for sure. Not much going on storywise. They spent a lot of time on catching the fantastic beasts which I'm sure will play great to kids, but I found it pretty dull. Good thing is I like all the main characters and the potential for the sequels is strong.

I'm going out a limb in that future movies will be snappier. Jk Rowling is a beginner screenwriter. Writing for movies is different than writing for books.

Movie dragged a bit but it didn't take away from the movie for me.

Us old heads will remember... I always thought Det. Ron Harris was one of the coolest guys on TV when I first started watching the boob tube.

RIP Ron Glass.

I'm not hating on the stuff today or anything like that but damn, they don't make theme songs like they used to... Late 70s & 80s had some great theme songs...

My 12 year old & I caught Batman vs Superman on HBO last night while channel surfing... He mentioned Wonder Woman had big you know whats... When I showed him a pic of Linda Carter, he was like Whoa... :lol:

^^^ That's funny because something prompted me recently to look up Lynda Carter'a measurements on-line and it said she was a "C". I was thinking that had to be wrong. She's extra stacked and still looks pretty damn good.

Also, Krampus - 5.75/8. Decent watch if you take it for what it is. Has that Gremlins light-horror/dark comedy/anti-Christmas vibe. So, if you're in the mood for that kind of thing, check out Krampus:

Back
Top Bottom