Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

pitman13 pitman13 did you get tix to see Lost City of Z at NYFF last night?

Heard James Gray killed it again

Yeah I saw it Saturday night.

I wish I was as high on it as the critics and movie bloggers were but I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, its a solid film but didn't grab me like "The Immigrant"

Visually stunning. Captures the early 1900s beautifully as you would expect from a James Gray feature.

Good performances from Hunnam, R. Pattinson. & S. Miller. During the credits, heard a few ppl say the new Spider Man played the oldest son :lol: :lol:

Just wish the story-line was stronger throughout. It starts to take a turn once Tom Holland character hits the screen.

3.5/5

Speaking of, here's my roundup for the films I saw at this year's NYFF:

Manchester By The Sea - 5/5 Easily the best film I've seen at the festival and currently my favorite film of 2016, so far***. Give Casey Affleck the Best Actor statue now!
PS: If you don't cry your eyes out while watching this movie, you're a robot.

Moonlight - 4.75/5 My second favorite film of the year. It opens this Friday, the 21st, I hope everyone goes and see this movie. It's a beautiful picture.

Jackie - 4.5/5 Loved Natalie Portman's performance. She'll be in heavy Oscar discussions next year. Even got to see her in person during the Q&A.

The Lost City of Z - 3.5/5 Look up for my quick review.

***I say so far because I haven't seen La La Land yet.

5/5

4.75/5

4.5/5

3.5/5

yo.. watched easy over the weekend.. it was ok..

not that I thought it was just ok, but I think that format would have worked a lil better if they had a lil more time to flesh things out.. maybe go an hour on each group.. or maybe use 2-3 episodes on one group.. or weave in and out and go back to various characters so you could get to know them a lil more

like I really didn't expect that.. thought we would get intros to the various groups they were working with and then would come back to their storylines so we would get a lil more resolution

Anyone see Shin Godzilla? I missed it over the weekend...
Yeah, it was good. They deservedly focused a lot of attention on the people in the film, and still gave a good amount of time on Godzilla as well. I was 5 minutes late to the theater and missed the opening which caused some confusion with how the movie starts (if you see it, you'll know what I mean). The human aspect is handled so much better than the American film from a couple years ago, it shows the tension and detail in how the groups of people need to solve the problem that is Godzilla. There's some heavy handed American insults, but you can't really argue against their placement and use in the movie :lol: Overall it was an enjoyable, if predictable, experience.

Solid 5.75/8 imo. Nothing groundbreaking, but certainly a fresh and enjoyable take.

Anyone see Shin Godzilla? I missed it over the weekend...

Yeah it was flames. If you're a a Anno/Evangelion fan, this would be right up your alley.

Everything up to the midpoint was pretty much perfect and then they get a little heavy handed and introduce an extremely annoying character. Still loved it though 7/8

Back
Top Bottom