Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Saw Zoolander 2 last night. Some funny parts but I see why it received the reviews it got :smh:
Yeah.. I didn't expect it to be as good as the first prior to the bad reviews.. and then once it got destroyed by critics and even fans too, that killed any excitement I had for it.

It was pretty bad. I could take a dumb storyline if the jokes were at least funny, but I barely even laughed a few times.

Did it at least make money at the box office?

Did it at least make money at the box office?

Nope. Pulled in only $56 million. With a budget of $50 million, that's a pretty big failure.

With Zoolander 2 and Anchorman 2 both sucking, I hope we've seen the end of sequels to comedies that are more than a decade old. They just don't work (though I will confess to laughing throughout Dumb and Dumber To). So Hollywood, please, no Old School 2 or Wedding Crashers 2, etc. Thanks.

I've swum here every summer of my adult life. And every summer, there she is, lotioning, oiling, oiling, lotioning. Smiling. Smiling! I can't take this no more! Move!

I've swum here every summer of my adult life. And every summer, there she is, lotioning, oiling, oiling, lotioning. Smiling. Smiling! I can't take this no more! Move!

Comedy sequels are hard enough to pull off.. best case scenario it's a repeated premise but 80% as funny.

One of the rare exceptions when you get a sequel as good if not better than the original, 22 Jump Street comes to mind.

Very true. It is really hard to think of a comedy sequel that's better than the first. I used to think that The Spy Who Shagged Me was better than International Man of Mystery, but I've changed my opinion on that over time. Goldmember is the worst of the three - though it has its moments.

Glengarry Glen Ross is such a ******* classic. From the dialogue to how the scenes are written. Just so great and engaging.

In for Abigail Spencer bae. Was that Patty from flash in the show trailer? She was looking damn fine.
Looked like her and she was in the past looking fine.

The new commercial for Preacher has me hyped. Got Reina's fine self from aos and Rudy from Misfits who was one of the funniest characteds i've seen on tv.

IMDb ‏@IMDb · 2h2 hours ago
Today marks the 30th anniversary of the '80s aviation classic, #TopGun: http://imdb.to/1ssm1ua

Still awesome (although maybe for different reasons that I used to think) after all these years.

:pimp:

Comedy sequels are hard enough to pull off.. best case scenario it's a repeated premise but 80% as funny.

One of the rare exceptions when you get a sequel as good if not better than the original, 22 Jump Street comes to mind.

Even more rare of an accomplishment is a comedy sequel that makes more money than the original. Ace Ventura II somehow pulled this off.

As far as actually being better than the first film (and this might be sacrilege) I can think of only a couple comedies.

Ghostbusters II
Adams Family Values
Bill and Teds Bogus Journey
and Hot Shots part Deux

^^

I enjoyed Rush Hour 2 over the first.. Or at least I watched Rush Hour 2 more times than I have Rush Hour 1

Last edited:
Even more rare of an accomplishment is a comedy sequel that makes more money than the original. Ace Ventura II somehow pulled this off.

As far as actually being better than the first film (and this might be sacrilege) I can think of only a couple comedies.

Ghostbusters II
Adams Family Values
and Hot Shots part Deux

Have to respectfully disagree about Ghostbusters II being better than Ghostbusters 1, but other than that your list looks accurate to me.

Agreed. So many quotables in Rush Hour 2.

That karaoke scene always has me :lol:
I will never look at that scene without thinking that Michael Jackson called him out on kicking with the wrong leg. :rofl:
: first 1min. Then toward the end of the video

Last edited:
Speaking of all these classic comedies with sequels, apparently Super Troopers 2 comes out next year. I'm getting hyped.

Ghostbusters II
Adams Family Values
and Hot Shots part Deux

Have to respectfully disagree about Ghostbusters II being better than Ghostbusters 1, but other than that your list looks accurate to me.

Yeah that one is tough for me but 2 just felt like the more memorable film to me. The pink goo, the Statue of Liberty scene, more screen time for my man Winston, waaaay better special effects. I just thought they drastically improved on every aspect of the 1st. Bill Murray had some awesome one liners in 2 :lol:

Back
Top Bottom