[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be the only one who could careless whether Dwight returns or not.

I want Dwight back, but if he doesn't come back I won't be hurt. I mean if he turns down the most money, playing in LA where its championship or bust, and playing with one of the greatest players in the then he can go **** himself.

As much as Pau's play suffered, he's always expressed wanting to play for the Lakers and that goes a long way for me.

If you have to be convinced to play for the Lakers then something isn't right with you. I bet Kevin Love is dying to get over here, **** 95% of the league wants to play here and he doesn't? **** him.

However, if he does come i'll welcome him with open arms.

Keep Pau
Sign and trade Dwight for Love & Pekovic
Get Bledsoe, Calderon or Jarrett Jack
Hire Brian Shaw

Dwight is not the answer for LA

So if Dwight picks Houston I'd be cool with Asik, Parsons and Beverly

Even tho I think Asik is average and Beverly isn't all that good. I just want Parsons :lol:

Last edited:
Patrick Patterson could have fit in nicely in D'Antoni's offense as a stretch four. Too bad the Rockets traded him to the Kings.

things to know before making wild offseason transaction theories/predictions:

-there is no restructuring of contracts like in football

-lakers can only amnesty: kobe, blake, metta, gasol

-lakers can not participate in any sign and trades because they are over the cap

players on contract for next season:
kobe (final year)
gasol (final year)
nash (2015)
metta (player option. may opt out, thus not affecting salary cap)
blake (final year)
duhon (final year)
jordan hill (final year)
meeks has a team option

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

it should also be noted that they can only use the MLE (or the mini mle? not sure) and the vet min.

Last edited:
Keep Pau
Sign and trade Dwight for Love & Pekovic
Get Bledsoe, Calderon or Jarrett Jack
Hire Brian Shaw

Dwight is not the answer for LA

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Except we cant afford to do a sign and trade :\

Lakers:CP3
TWolves:tongue:au Gasol
Clippers:Kevin Love

Essential.....thoughts?

Of course these are the bigger pieces and smaller pieces will need to be added.

Last edited:

I want Dwight back, but if he doesn't come back I won't be hurt. I mean if he turns down the most money, playing in LA where its championship or bust, and playing with one of the greatest players in the then he can go **** himself.

As much as Pau's play suffered, he's always expressed wanting to play for the Lakers and that goes a long way for me.

If you have to be convinced to play for the Lakers then something isn't right with you. I bet Kevin Love is dying to get over here, **** 95% of the league wants to play here and he doesn't? **** him.

#LAKERSTATS

Artest and Gasol need to go. They are the weak links on the starting lineup. Nash is too but you can't really get rid of him :smh:

Everybody on the bench needs to go except for Meeks and Hill cause they earn their pay. I still don't trust blake and if they can ship his *** out for a younger player or a pick then do it.

Lakers:CP3
TWolves:tongue:au Gasol
Clippers:Kevin Love

Essential.....thoughts?

Of course these are the bigger pieces and smaller pieces will need to be added.

dont think clips would do anything to help us and they def wont want kevin love unless they are going to get something for deandre jordan to fill the hole of CP3. that would mean K love or Griff will have to play center.

The CP3 ship has sailed fellas.

#LAKERSTATS

#OBSESSEDWITHLAKERS

Last edited:
That comment tricked me. I srsly thought it was you LTB :lol:

Yeah he's doing it on purpose.
He's taking advantage of it as much as he can :smh:

Sunday when the bet's over, i wanna get him back tho.
Shoot me some new avy/sig ideas to start messing with him for revenge :lol:

That comment tricked me. I srsly thought it was you LTB
laugh.gif
Yeah he's doing it on purpose.
He's taking advantage of it as much as he can
mean.gif

Sunday when the bet's over, i wanna get him back tho.
Shoot me some new avy/sig ideas to start messing with him for revenge
laugh.gif
Should have made the bet for the entire playoffs. I think this entire thread would go insane.
laugh.gif

Here it goes. I broke it up, but by the end. Saw where I was at and sighed..

Our current rotation, without injuries.
Nash / Blake / Morris / Duhon
Bryant / Meeks / Goudelock
World Peace / Clark / Ebanks
Gasol / Jamison
Howard/ Hill / Sacre

Current PGs:
Steve Nash - In 2011-12 he almost lead a bum squad to the playoffs, and made Marcin Gortat look like an absolute stud. 2012-13, was plagued with injuries, and when he did play had trouble adjusting to a new role where he isn’t always the primary ball handler. He isn’t going anywhere (his value is extremely low) so pencil him in as our Opening Day Starter at PG. I’m fine with that. But like I said last July, it will be a mistake to have Nash without a very good backup PG. It is clear Nash is not the PG to give you 30+ minutes. He’s 39 (40 next season) he should be at around 26 minutes per game. This means we need a serious PG to split minutes with him.
What I’d like to see next year: A lineup of shooters run by Nash with Dwight at Center for a handful of minutes a game.

Steve Blake – A decent backup PG. I loved how he played for us down the stretch, but it is not enough, and will not be enough for us to make any extended runs. What happens if Steve Nash gets hurt, we’re going to turn to Steve Blake? That’s not going to cut it. If Nash wasn’t a risk, I’d be fine with Blake, but Nash is a big risk, especially after last year, we need a better quality of backup. Someone who can run an offense, and is a better fit at PG.
What I’d like to see next year: At best he’s the Duhon role. Backup to the backup. But my realistic bone is a roster in which someone else is our backup.

Chris Duhon – Goodbye

Darius Morris – Someone I see potential in. Doubtful that he will be what he could be, but he is a guy with good speed, decent court vision, and plays solid defense. What is missing is his shooting. He’s inexpensive, and his play in Game 3 showed some sparks, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to develop him more, and see what you can get. He was terrible season 1. Mediocre season 2. Let’s see what season 3 gets us. Doesn’t really hurt us to have him.

Current SGs

Kobe Bryant – Timeline for him was 6-9 months. 6 months would be mid-October. I see him back mid-November, which would make 7 months, mid-November (missing about 10 games)

Jodie Meeks - $1.5mil team option. No conceivable reason to not accept him back.
Jodie Meeks hasn’t been all that we want, but if you think we should let him go, you really don’t get the idea of value. Jodie Meeks is a spark guy. He goes hot and cold. But for $1.5mil, you will not find a better backup at Shooting Guard. He’s still a young guy. He needs to improve on hitting his threes off catch and shoot at a better rate. He’s a deadeye shooter when he hangs back in transition, and gets an open three when the lead on transition draws the defense in to the hoop. Only problem is that we don’t get many transition opportunities. If he can hit catch-and-shoot in the half court sets at a slightly better rate, we’d be good money. He also needs to work on his decision making when going at the basket. He just goes straight in without trying to deceive a defender, that’s why he always messes up. Lastly, his defensive EFFORT is one of the better of the team, just has to transfer it into staying in front of his man. But despite the prevailing opinion, his defense actually was not bad, statistically. Although, he was much better in 11-12.

On the flip seed, Mike D’Antoni needs to put more faith in him. He constantly seems to go back and forth on Jodie. First 2 months, we basically gave him an unspecific role, with a varying play time. We need to have faith, and give him a defined role that puts pressure on him.
What I’d like to see: We need to make our reserves a faster paced team. Force teams to have to have two game plans against us. That would help Jodie, and guys like Hill a lot.

Andrew Goudelock – He needs to come back in shape. He’s a solid scorer, and is fearless. He’s become a cult icon on the Lakers. Don’t get too high on him. If he comes back in shape, we should keep him, and see what we can develop.

Current SFs
Metta World Peace- First two months, he was absolutely perfect. Hitting his shots, at a great rate, and was playing beautiful defense. Then the January Clipper game sort of falling for January and February to a bad level, and March he was solid until his injury. He is still a solid defender, and is a good locker room guy (How that has happened based on his career is beyond me). I don’t even really care if he opts out. We should keep him. I looked at his stats, and when he plays PF he plays as well as he did offensively in 08-09. Defensively at PF, his numbers are slightly worse than they were playing SFs in 08-09. I think we found a solid niche for him. He is solid enough to draw out the 4 on offense, and physical enough to put up a fight on defense. He’d be great at the backup PF spot. And MWP as our backup 4, also suits the kind of basketball that MDA is trying to play. I prefer him opting out and resigning for less, but if that’s not on the table, I still do not amnesty him.
What I’d like to see: Him as our backup 4, getting about 23-26 minutes per game.

Earl Clark – Says he’s more comfortable at the 3. But wants to play the 4 more. I think both work. On a defensive standpoint, he’s a better 3 because he can guard the perimeter (can’t guard the post). Offensively he is a better 4 because he can stretch the floor. I think if we give him a 2 year / $8mil (2nd year team option), it should keep him. He wants to play here, and is truly willing to sacrifice money to be here. That deal should do it. And depending on what Nash does before 2014, is whether we decide to keep Clark. Also his play should be taken into account. If he’s a bust, then we drop him.
What I’d like to see: Against my own thoughts, starting SF. But between 25-30 minutes. I think we should also give him some time at the 4. Maybe a cross matchup with MWP for some minutes. MWP off is the 3, def the 4. Clark off is the 4, def is the 3.

Devin Ebanks – Goodbye.

Current PFs
Pau Gasol - I’m having trouble addressing this in all honesty.
So what I’ll say is this. He needs to be dealt. The package I want is a Backup PG (that’s concrete) & one of these (A combo forward or stretch 4 that is under 30, can shoot, and can play some form of defense)
If I can’t get that. Or at least the top candidate of those two types of players. Then I keep him.

Antawn Jamison
- We need to get younger. Would have liked to win him a ring, but we can’t keep him. He’s too old, and does not play any defense.

Current Cs
Dwight Howard - Howard is our guy. Build with him/around him. We don’t even have a shot at the playoffs if Dwight doesn’t get out of his own way, and stop listening to all the ******** around him. Give him a full summer to work, and training camp without worrying about his back, he’ll be a top 5 player in the league next year. There are a handful of guys who can change a game defensively, and you are looking at the best in the biz.
What I’d like to see: A new philosophy. Go smaller, go younger, and drag defenses out of the paint for Dwight. Regardless, of what you think about his moves. Which are slightly above average, when he gets space on offense in the post. You will have trouble guarding him. When he has to navigate a land mine of defenders is when he looks pedestrian.

Jordan Hill – The Garbage Man. Dude is all effort at all times. He can consistently give you 6 & 6 in 15 minutes. His rebounding rate is off the charts, which gives him easy buckets.
What I’d like to see: Him developing his jumper more. If he can hit the 12-15 footer at a consistent rate, also his ability to get offensive boards will put him consistently in double ` digit scoring.

Robert Sacre – Great team guy. He’s far from being a guy of the rotation, but he will be a minimum contract, and doesn’t hurt to keep developing him.
What I’d like to see: More bench antics.

Where I'm at so far

Based on all of that. Next year’s rotation without filling in the holes
Nash / ???? / Morris
Clark / ????
??? / MWP
Howard/ Hill / Sacre

Now onto what is out there, which is depressing:

PG options

Again the point is that with a 39/40 year old Nash, we need a major improvement at the backup. We need someone who is younger, can run an offense (even if we don’t need him to), and can play some semblance of defense.
Realistically, we cannot improve at PG with only $3.5mil. Nor do I think we should use the mini-MLE (part of it or the full amount) on a PG. We could upgrade other positions, much better with $3.5mil. I don’t think anyone realistically puts us in a better position to win a title than Steve Blake would at $3.5mil.
Our hope is that a trade for Pau can bring us back a serious backup PG among another piece.

Here’s the list of Free Agent backup PGs (I included Nate, he probably will go for over $3.5mil considering his play)

Aaron Brooks (Is not fully guaranteed, so Rockets could buy him out) Brooks is a very good player, but the defense is horrid

Nate Robinson – Game changing scorer, but this is what Hollinger said “Defensively, Robinson graded as the worst player in the league with at least 300 plays defended, according to Synergy. I don't think he was really quite that bad -- his other data wasn't nearly as negative -- but he certainly wasn't good.” On the Bulls he’s been ok defensively, but that’s with a bunch of solid defenders around him.

Devin Harris – No better offensively than Blake. Had a decent year defensively compared to the past 7 atrocious years, but I don’t think that has anything more to do than having defensive players around him.

Delonte West – Great option for us. I just don’t think he’ll keep it together for a season.
All the rest of these guys are people who will go for less than $3.5mil (or the chance to) but are not worth going after.

D.J. Augustin

Earl Watson

CJ Watson

Patty Mills

John Lucas III

Jamaal Tinsley

Guys just out of our reach salary wise: Mo Williams, Jose Calderon, Jarrett Jack, Darren Collison, Rodrigue Beaubois

My hope: Is that we do not go after a PG in the Free Agent market. There are more pressing concerns that can be improved elsewhere in Free Agency. I’ll talk about PGs and Pau.
What is likely: Nash & Blake are our PGs next year.

SG options
If we waste money (I’m talking about the mini-MLE, Veteran’s minimum a different story) to sign someone to play a month in Kobe’s absence, I’ll be pissed. But on the flip side, there are a few guys out there that could go for veteran’s minimum that would be solid additions (in my order): Ronnie Brewer, DeShawn Stevenson, Roger Mason Jr., Leandro Barbosa, Mickael Pietrus, DeQuan Cook, Terrance Williams

Guys who the rest of you may want to sign: Anthony Morrow (Has been on a rapid decline and probably gets $3mil +), Kyle Korver (going for well over $3.5mil), Richard Hamilton (Will definitely be gone from the Bulls, still great defensively, but not at what he could get. Also he’s older, so it still leaves us with problems.), Tony Allen (will go for more than $3.5mil), J.J. Redick (going for more than $3.5mil), Martel Webster (wants to resign with the Wizards and will get around $3.5mil from them), Nick Young (absolutely not. Hell no. I do not want him).
If one of the better Shooting Guards who are Free Agents would be willing to sign for the mini-MLE, I’d be fine with that, and moving Kobe to the 3, but I just don’t see it happening.

For the hell of it, I think we should go after Ronnie Brewer for the minimum (Extremely good defender, horrible offensively). Will we? Probably not.

What is likely: Kobe, Meeks & Goudelock

SF options
$3.5mil can get us a very good Small Forward. We have a few different needs. Youth, Defense, 3 point shooting.

This is the order of Small Forwards on the Free Agent Market to pursue (in my order) that will/can go for the $3.5mil range or less: Dorell Wright, Matt Barnes, Chase Budinger, Carlos Delfino, Stephen Jackson, James Jones, Chris Douglass-Roberts

Dorell Wright is the clear choice. He’s young, deadly corner three point shooter. Can play some time at the 4. His defense is based on his motivation to play defense, when he wants he is an extremely good perimeter defender. I think if you put him around the level of talent that this team has, he will step up his effort on defense. I truly think after keeping guys like Clark & Howard that Wright is on the top of Mitch & Jim’s list. Or at least should be.

PF options. Where Pau comes to get traded
Rather than give a full explanations of the good and bad of Pau Gasol. It’s simple, if there is good trade value, trade him. If there is no trade value, we’re screwed, and we hold onto him.

I’d love Kyle Lowry. Doubtful the Raptors trade him. But I think a way to do this is to find a third team that will take Bargnani. We certainly cannot use him or his contract. I don’t care if he’s a stretch 4, his defense and rebounding is of epic proportions of bad.
If a third team gives a 1st Round pick (I read that teams were extremely down on the draft after pick #5. And there could be a mass scramble to trade picks) for Bargnani,
If that falls, I think a deal could be made. Lowry for Pau alone is a better deal for us. Getting out of Bargnani’s contract for a pick would make the deal only slightly better for us. Raptors would still have space to use a full Mid-Level Exception (a little over $5mil to go after a new PG). Could very well go back after Calderon as their starting PG again.
Very unlikely trade, but I like it.

Or Chandler Parsons on this team. This was Bill Simmons’ idea. Not a fan of Bill Simmons when it comes to Lakers ideas, but this is one that could work.
He said Pau for Parson straight up. Not sure if that deal gets done. But I like it.
Maybe we can take on the last year of Garcia’s contract, and maybe that frees up Beverly (But I doubt it)

As for Free Agents, I don’t see David West or Carl Landry getting here, so not much in terms of Free Agent PFs.
Maybe Jermaine O’Neal on a vet minimum is a good idea. He had a great year this year.

Center Options
I’ll say this. If Dwight Howard leaves, be prepared for a few more years of barely making the playoffs. Sure, we’ll eventually recover, but thinking you can do it in 1 year is not going to happen. 2014 will be another disappointing offseason (even if we had $0 on the book) and we will likely sign $49 mil worth of terrible contracts because we don’t want to long term commit to guys we shouldn’t.

Jordan Hill can’t say enough about the guy, but I think if we go small, we should possibly look at moving Hill to PF off the bench instead of Center. But not sure there is much out there for center.

And here's where depression hits. What I want to happen, and what I think will happen

What I hope the roster would be:
Nash / Lowry/ Morris
Kobe / Meeks / Goudelock
Clark / Wright/ Brewer
MWP / Clark / Jermaine O’Neal
Howard/ Hill / Sacre

Or:
Nash / Blake / Morris
Kobe / Meeks / Goudelock
Clark / Parsons/ Brewer
Wright / MWP
Howard / Hill / Sacre

What The roster will Likely Be:
Nash / Blake / Morris
Kobe / Meeks / Goudlock
MWP / Wright
Pau / Clark
Howard / Hill / Sacre

:rolleyes

Last edited:
Here it goes. I broke it up, but by the end. Saw where I was at and sighed..

Our current rotation, without injuries.
Nash / Blake / Morris / Duhon
World Peace / Clark / Ebanks
Gasol / Jamison
Howard/ Hill / Sacre

Current PGs:
Steve Nash - In 2011-12 he almost lead a bum squad to the playoffs, and made Marcin Gortat look like an absolute stud. 2012-13, was plagued with injuries, and when he did play had trouble adjusting to a new role where he isn’t always the primary ball handler. He isn’t going anywhere (his value is extremely low) so pencil him in as our Opening Day Starter at PG. I’m fine with that. But like I said last July, it will be a mistake to have Nash without a very good backup PG. It is clear Nash is not the PG to give you 30+ minutes. He’s 39 (40 next season) he should be at around 26 minutes per game. This means we need a serious PG to split minutes with him.
What I’d like to see next year: A lineup of shooters run by Nash with Dwight at Center for a handful of minutes a game.

Steve Blake – A decent backup PG. I loved how he played for us down the stretch, but it is not enough, and will not be enough for us to make any extended runs. What happens if Steve Nash gets hurt, we’re going to turn to Steve Blake? That’s not going to cut it. If Nash wasn’t a risk, I’d be fine with Blake, but Nash is a big risk, especially after last year, we need a better quality of backup. Someone who can run an offense, and is a better fit at PG.
What I’d like to see next year: At best he’s the Duhon role. Backup to the backup. But my realistic bone is a roster in which someone else is our backup.

Chris Duhon – Goodbye

Darius Morris – Someone I see potential in. Doubtful that he will be what he could be, but he is a guy with good speed, decent court vision, and plays solid defense. What is missing is his shooting. He’s inexpensive, and his play in Game 3 showed some sparks, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to develop him more, and see what you can get. He was terrible season 1. Mediocre season 2. Let’s see what season 3 gets us. Doesn’t really hurt us to have him.

Current SGs

Kobe Bryant – Timeline for him was 6-9 months. 6 months would be mid-October. I see him back mid-November, which would make 7 months, mid-November (missing about 10 games)

Jodie Meeks - $1.5mil team option. No conceivable reason to not accept him back.
Jodie Meeks hasn’t been all that we want, but if you think we should let him go, you really don’t get the idea of value. Jodie Meeks is a spark guy. He goes hot and cold. But for $1.5mil, you will not find a better backup at Shooting Guard. He’s still a young guy. He needs to improve on hitting his threes off catch and shoot at a better rate. He’s a deadeye shooter when he hangs back in transition, and gets an open three when the lead on transition draws the defense in to the hoop. Only problem is that we don’t get many transition opportunities. If he can hit catch-and-shoot in the half court sets at a slightly better rate, we’d be good money. He also needs to work on his decision making when going at the basket. He just goes straight in without trying to deceive a defender, that’s why he always messes up. Lastly, his defensive EFFORT is one of the better of the team, just has to transfer it into staying in front of his man. But despite the prevailing opinion, his defense actually was not bad, statistically. Although, he was much better in 11-12.

On the flip seed, Mike D’Antoni needs to put more faith in him. He constantly seems to go back and forth on Jodie. First 2 months, we basically gave him an unspecific role, with a varying play time. We need to have faith, and give him a defined role that puts pressure on him.
What I’d like to see: We need to make our reserves a faster paced team. Force teams to have to have two game plans against us. That would help Jodie, and guys like Hill a lot.

Andrew Goudelock – He needs to come back in shape. He’s a solid scorer, and is fearless. He’s become a cult icon on the Lakers. Don’t get too high on him. If he comes back in shape, we should keep him, and see what we can develop.

Current SFs
Metta World Peace- First two months, he was absolutely perfect. Hitting his shots, at a great rate, and was playing beautiful defense. Then the January Clipper game sort of falling for January and February to a bad level, and March he was solid until his injury. He is still a solid defender, and is a good locker room guy (How that has happened based on his career is beyond me). I don’t even really care if he opts out. We should keep him. I looked at his stats, and when he plays PF he plays as well as he did offensively in 08-09. Defensively at PF, his numbers are slightly worse than they were playing SFs in 08-09. I think we found a solid niche for him. He is solid enough to draw out the 4 on offense, and physical enough to put up a fight on defense. He’d be great at the backup PF spot. And MWP as our backup 4, also suits the kind of basketball that MDA is trying to play. I prefer him opting out and resigning for less, but if that’s not on the table, I still do not amnesty him.
What I’d like to see: Him as our backup 4, getting about 23-26 minutes per game.

Earl Clark – Says he’s more comfortable at the 3. But wants to play the 4 more. I think both work. On a defensive standpoint, he’s a better 3 because he can guard the perimeter (can’t guard the post). Offensively he is a better 4 because he can stretch the floor. I think if we give him a 2 year / $8mil (2nd year team option), it should keep him. He wants to play here, and is truly willing to sacrifice money to be here. That deal should do it. And depending on what Nash does before 2014, is whether we decide to keep Clark. Also his play should be taken into account. If he’s a bust, then we drop him.
What I’d like to see: Against my own thoughts, starting SF. But between 25-30 minutes. I think we should also give him some time at the 4. Maybe a cross matchup with MWP for some minutes. MWP off is the 3, def the 4. Clark off is the 4, def is the 3.

Devin Ebanks – Goodbye.

Current PFs
Pau Gasol - I’m having trouble addressing this in all honesty.
So what I’ll say is this. He needs to be dealt. The package I want is a Backup PG (that’s concrete) & one of these (A combo forward or stretch 4 that is under 30, can shoot, and can play some form of defense)
If I can’t get that. Or at least the top candidate of those two types of players. Then I keep him.

Antawn Jamison
- We need to get younger. Would have liked to win him a ring, but we can’t keep him. He’s too old, and does not play any defense.

Current Cs
Dwight Howard - Howard is our guy. Build with him/around him. We don’t even have a shot at the playoffs if Dwight doesn’t get out of his own way, and stop listening to all the ******** around him. Give him a full summer to work, and training camp without worrying about his back, he’ll be a top 5 player in the league next year. There are a handful of guys who can change a game defensively, and you are looking at the best in the biz.
What I’d like to see: A new philosophy. Go smaller, go younger, and drag defenses out of the paint for Dwight. Regardless, of what you think about his moves. Which are slightly above average, when he gets space on offense in the post. You will have trouble guarding him. When he has to navigate a land mine of defenders is when he looks pedestrian.

Jordan Hill – The Garbage Man. Dude is all effort at all times. He can consistently give you 6 & 6 in 15 minutes. His rebounding rate is off the charts, which gives him easy buckets.
What I’d like to see: Him developing his jumper more. If he can hit the 12-15 footer at a consistent rate, also his ability to get offensive boards will put him consistently in double ` digit scoring.

Robert Sacre – Great team guy. He’s far from being a guy of the rotation, but he will be a minimum contract, and doesn’t hurt to keep developing him.
What I’d like to see: More bench antics.

Where I'm at so far

Based on all of that. Next year’s rotation without filling in the holes
Nash / ???? / Morris
Clark / ????
??? / MWP
Howard/ Hill / Sacre

Now onto what is out there, which is depressing:

PG options

Again the point is that with a 39/40 year old Nash, we need a major improvement at the backup. We need someone who is younger, can run an offense (even if we don’t need him to), and can play some semblance of defense.
Realistically, we cannot improve at PG with only $3.5mil. Nor do I think we should use the mini-MLE (part of it or the full amount) on a PG. We could upgrade other positions, much better with $3.5mil. I don’t think anyone realistically puts us in a better position to win a title than Steve Blake would at $3.5mil.
Our hope is that a trade for Pau can bring us back a serious backup PG among another piece.

Here’s the list of Free Agent backup PGs (I included Nate, he probably will go for over $3.5mil considering his play)

Aaron Brooks (Is not fully guaranteed, so Rockets could buy him out) Brooks is a very good player, but the defense is horrid

Nate Robinson – Game changing scorer, but this is what Hollinger said “Defensively, Robinson graded as the worst player in the league with at least 300 plays defended, according to Synergy. I don't think he was really quite that bad -- his other data wasn't nearly as negative -- but he certainly wasn't good.” On the Bulls he’s been ok defensively, but that’s with a bunch of solid defenders around him.

Devin Harris – No better offensively than Blake. Had a decent year defensively compared to the past 7 atrocious years, but I don’t think that has anything more to do than having defensive players around him.

Delonte West – Great option for us. I just don’t think he’ll keep it together for a season.
All the rest of these guys are people who will go for less than $3.5mil (or the chance to) but are not worth going after.

D.J. Augustin

Earl Watson

CJ Watson

Patty Mills

John Lucas III

Jamaal Tinsley

Guys just out of our reach salary wise: Mo Williams, Jose Calderon, Jarrett Jack, Darren Collison, Rodrigue Beaubois

My hope: Is that we do not go after a PG in the Free Agent market. There are more pressing concerns that can be improved elsewhere in Free Agency. I’ll talk about PGs and Pau.
What is likely: Nash & Blake are our PGs next year.

SG options
If we waste money (I’m talking about the mini-MLE, Veteran’s minimum a different story) to sign someone to play a month in Kobe’s absence, I’ll be pissed. But on the flip side, there are a few guys out there that could go for veteran’s minimum that would be solid additions (in my order): Ronnie Brewer, DeShawn Stevenson, Roger Mason Jr., Leandro Barbosa, Mickael Pietrus, DeQuan Cook, Terrance Williams

Guys who the rest of you may want to sign: Anthony Morrow (Has been on a rapid decline and probably gets $3mil +), Kyle Korver (going for well over $3.5mil), Richard Hamilton (Will definitely be gone from the Bulls, still great defensively, but not at what he could get. Also he’s older, so it still leaves us with problems.), Tony Allen (will go for more than $3.5mil), J.J. Redick (going for more than $3.5mil), Martel Webster (wants to resign with the Wizards and will get around $3.5mil from them), Nick Young (absolutely not. Hell no. I do not want him).
If one of the better Shooting Guards who are Free Agents would be willing to sign for the mini-MLE, I’d be fine with that, and moving Kobe to the 3, but I just don’t see it happening.

For the hell of it, I think we should go after Ronnie Brewer for the minimum (Extremely good defender, horrible offensively). Will we? Probably not.

What is likely: Kobe, Meeks & Goudelock

SF options
$3.5mil can get us a very good Small Forward. We have a few different needs. Youth, Defense, 3 point shooting.

This is the order of Small Forwards on the Free Agent Market to pursue (in my order) that will/can go for the $3.5mil range or less: Dorell Wright, Matt Barnes, Chase Budinger, Carlos Delfino, Stephen Jackson, James Jones, Chris Douglass-Roberts

Dorell Wright is the clear choice. He’s young, deadly corner three point shooter. Can play some time at the 4. His defense is based on his motivation to play defense, when he wants he is an extremely good perimeter defender. I think if you put him around the level of talent that this team has, he will step up his effort on defense. I truly think after keeping guys like Clark & Howard that Wright is on the top of Mitch & Jim’s list. Or at least should be.

PF options. Where Pau comes to get traded
Rather than give a full explanations of the good and bad of Pau Gasol. It’s simple, if there is good trade value, trade him. If there is no trade value, we’re screwed, and we hold onto him.

I’d love Kyle Lowry. Doubtful the Raptors trade him. But I think a way to do this is to find a third team that will take Bargnani. We certainly cannot use him or his contract. I don’t care if he’s a stretch 4, his defense and rebounding is of epic proportions of bad.
If a third team gives a 1st Round pick (I read that teams were extremely down on the draft after pick #5. And there could be a mass scramble to trade picks) for Bargnani,
If that falls, I think a deal could be made. Lowry for Pau alone is a better deal for us. Getting out of Bargnani’s contract for a pick would make the deal only slightly better for us. Raptors would still have space to use a full Mid-Level Exception (a little over $5mil to go after a new PG). Could very well go back after Calderon as their starting PG again.
Very unlikely trade, but I like it.

Or Chandler Parsons on this team. This was Bill Simmons’ idea. Not a fan of Bill Simmons when it comes to Lakers ideas, but this is one that could work.
He said Pau for Parson straight up. Not sure if that deal gets done. But I like it.
Maybe we can take on the last year of Garcia’s contract, and maybe that frees up Beverly (But I doubt it)

As for Free Agents, I don’t see David West or Carl Landry getting here, so not much in terms of Free Agent PFs.
Maybe Jermaine O’Neal on a vet minimum is a good idea. He had a great year this year.

Center Options
I’ll say this. If Dwight Howard leaves, be prepared for a few more years of barely making the playoffs. Sure, we’ll eventually recover, but thinking you can do it in 1 year is not going to happen. 2014 will be another disappointing offseason (even if we had $0 on the book) and we will likely sign $49 mil worth of terrible contracts because we don’t want to long term commit to guys we shouldn’t.

Jordan Hill can’t say enough about the guy, but I think if we go small, we should possibly look at moving Hill to PF off the bench instead of Center. But not sure there is much out there for center.

And here's where depression hits. What I want to happen, and what I think will happen

What I hope the roster would be:
Nash / Lowry/ Morris
Kobe / Meeks / Goudelock
Clark / Wright/ Brewer
MWP / Clark / Jermaine O’Neal
Howard/ Hill / Sacre

Or:
Nash / Blake / Morris
Kobe / Meeks / Goudelock
Clark / Parsons/ Brewer
Wright / MWP
Howard / Hill / Sacre