[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a short list of (potential) free agent point guards the Lakers should look into. There are more prominent unrestricted free agent point guards this summer like Jose Calderon, Devin Harris and Jarrett Jack, but I don't think they'll be attainable. Those guys will want more money and a bigger role. With that said, these point guards could/should be lured by the prospect of playing 20-24 minutes a night behind Steve Nash. I tried looking for a point guard with the combination of size, three point shooting, ability to get to the rim, low turnover rate, decent defense and relatively low cost for a year. Obviously it's difficult to find all those attributes in this crop of free agent point guards, but I tried.

View media item 389453
D.J. Augustin, 6'0 183 lbs.

A tiny point guard who's been terrible for the Pacers this season after four largely average seasons with the Bobcats. Augustin is one of a few undersized point guards in this list, but unlike the others he doesn't possess lightning speed. As a result he struggles getting to the rim and finishing due to his short height and lack of touch. Augustin's three point shooting was very good his first two seasons in the league, but declined to average at best efficiency the past three seasons. His assist rate collapsed this season compared to last season, which is discouraging especially since his turnover rate remained the same. Defensively, he can be attacked due to his lack of height. He signed a one year deal with the Pacers over the summer worth $3.5 million, but his poor play this season should result in a decrease in salary and demand this summer. I think he could be signed for a portion of the mini-MLE.

View media item 389193
Aaron Brooks, 6'0 165 lbs.

I would prefer Patrick Beverley to Brooks, but with the way Beverley has played in the playoffs the Rockets are likely to keep him. Brooks has a team option worth $2.5 million that will likely be declined to carve out the cap space to lure a big named free agent this summer. Brooks is a short, shoot first point guard that spent this past season with the Kings and Rockets. Brooks would give the Lakers a boost of speed and shot creation on the perimeter that it has sorely lacked the past few seasons. He's also an above average three point shooter for his career at 36.6%. His downsides offensively include his tendency to overdribble, finishing ability at the rim and average at best passing. Defensively, his height hurts him as opposing point guards can either bully him towards their way to the rim or shoot over him from the perimeter. All in all, I wouldn't mind the Lakers giving Brooks a one year deal worth $2 million.

View media item 389200
Patty Mills, 6'0 180 lbs.

I'm not sure what it says about the Spurs or Lakers that I'm looking at the third point guard in the Spurs' depth chart to possibly become the backup point guard for the Lakers next season. Anyways, Mills is undersized at 6'0 but he's fast and is a very good long range shooter. It's a small sample size compared to the other point guards I listed, but he's shot 42.9% and 40% from three the past two seasons (only 74 combined games). I'd categorize him as another shoot first point guard. His assist rate is below par of other point guards around the league while his turnover rate is high, which isn't encouraging. Like Augustin and Brooks, his lack of size hurts him defensively. Mills has a player option for $1.1 million, which I see him taking because he hasn't shown much outside of garbage time. But if he did test free agency, I wouldn't give him more than the veteran's minimum.

View media item 389194
A.J. Price, 6'2 185 lbs.

Price spent this past season with the Wizards after spending his first three seasons with the Pacers. He's a shoot first point guard who can't really shoot. His shooting from all over the floor has been middling at best for his career. So in that sense, I wouldn't expect much from him scoring wise. Especially since he isn't one to draw fouls or get easy baskets in transition. However, this past season he upped his assist rate to a career high while keeping his turnover rate to a career low. Defensively, he did his job pressuring opposing point guards. The numbers say his teams have always been better with on the floor defensively. I'd lean towards saying Price is the best defender on this list. He had a decent season serving as the stop gap starter and steady backup point guard while John Wall was recovering, but I can't imagine him getting much more than veteran's minimum next season.

View media item 389207
C.J. Watson, 6'2 175 lbs.

Watson has developed into an adequate backup point guard over the last three seasons with the Bulls and Nets. Watson's biggest strength is his free point shooting as he's shot 39.9% from three the past three seasons. He's been especially good from the corners, which is needed in Mike D'Antoni's traditional offense. However, he doesn't do much damage in the pick and roll. He's also bad at finishing at the rim and drawing fouls, so he can't put much pressure on opposing defenses. I wouldn't characterize him as a good playmaker or passer, which is why is why he was often paired with Deron Williams or Joe Johnson in the backcourt for the Nets this past season. Defensively, Watson has quick hands and long arms, but is otherwise forgettable. He has a player option for next season valued at $1.1 million, so the Lakers would likely have to use part of their mini-MLE to sign him if he opted to become a free agent.

Last edited:
Well, the "Dwightmare" season is over. We lost our owner and our franchise player all in the same season. All the injuries and weak coaching led to disaster year that had high expectations. Man. :smh:

Jamison really skipped on the exit interview? Wow. He's known for being a stand up guy but that's classless.

Well, the "Dwightmare" season is over. We lost our owner and our franchise player all in the same season. All the injuries and weak coaching led to disaster year that had high expectations. Man. :smh:

Jamison really skipped on the exit interview? Wow. He's known for being a stand up guy but that's classless.

The guy had surgery on his wrist man :smh:

Unless the Lakers are able to dump Steve Nash and Blake's salary, they will be the starting and backup PG's next year. No need to pickup anymore aside from the draft.

:stoneface: cannot be serious with this b

PG production, specifically defensively, was one of the main problems with this roster. We CANNOT I repeat CANNOT go into next season with these two guys fresh off of injuries and a year older... No sir lol

Last edited:
"Like Mike's really gona tell me when to go in and out of a game" -Kobe

:rofl:

_'Ant_ni needs to go, no one respects this dude :lol:

Edit-- Kobe said he's tryna be ready for the season opener :wow:

Last edited:

Which is why we need an efficient SG this season. No need to rush him back. No need for him to feel he needs to rush back either

I don't think they need to focus on a PG unless they don't expect to roll with Nash/Blake for the year.

Their main concern is what Kobe said: length, athleticism, and speed. They need good wing players who can keep up with the opponent and put pressure on them.

IMO they also need shooting. MWP has his merits... but I just don't see them making up for his shortcomings anymore.

I think if they can land a decent wing or two, MWP is getting the amnesty. If they can't, they might look into cutting Pau.

The very next statement he mentioned how he did it to Phil. Mike did it to Phil. And Magic did it to his coach.

I'm doing a run down on all positions, but I do think point guard play is an issue moving forward. Nash was fine when he played, but he's getting older and I don't think the team should expect him to play 30+ minutes of good ball over the course of an entire season. Blake was solid for what he is, but he doesn't bring enough to the table.

PG production, specifically defensively, was one of the main problems with this roster. We CANNOT I repeat CANNOT go into next season with these two guys fresh off of injuries and a year older... No sir lol

Well you tell me how they're going to figure out a way to dump $22M in salary from both Steve Blake and Steve Nash to acquire a PG needed to run the offense?

You might have to package a deal where whoever wants Gasol has to take one of the PG's.

But any team would be dumb to do so...

Last edited:

Kobe also did the same thing with Phil, you guys gotta stop making it bigger than it is.

Kobe also praised D'Antoni for making adjustments.

It's funny, 27 year old Kobe wanted to murder Smush and Bynum, 34 year old Kobe has praised each one of these teammates and claimed they win the title if they were all healthy. Praised Mitch, Buss, D'Antoni, wants Dwight to re-sign, Pau to stay, praised Nash for his hard work.

Crappy teammate this guy. :lol:
It's what was said all along, as dude grows up and figures **** out, he'll be what the team needs him to be. What uh, what was 33 year old Shaq saying after a tough season? "Pay me!!!!" I think it was. Right there while Jerry Buss sat in the front row. :lol:

I hope some of the revisionists on NT go back and retract some of their stupid statements about that era and realize the Lakers had it right all along.

(*just to be clear, to avoid any unseen questions my way, no, Ska, I am not referring to you in any way. Hear my words, not you my friend. :lol: *) Others on NT that never got the dynamic of the 04 Laker breakup. That wanted to place 150% blame on Kobe Bryant for Shaq being dealt, and not a more realistic 25-30-35-55-60% or whatever it was percent.

If Kobe was up there right now actin like Shaq was, I'd be saying deal his *** right this second and let Dwight take over. That ain't how it's workin tho. That deserves a tip of the cap from some.

i know its gonna take a 3rd team to deal but what do you guys think of trading gasol and possibly getting milsap?

There were problems with the PG, from defense to injuries

But the Lakers have far more problems that should be solved first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom