[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name="L2B"][quote name="chaose57"]That comment tricked me. I srsly thought it was you LTB :lol:[/quote]Yeah he's doing it on purpose.
He's taking advantage of it as much as he can :smh:

Sunday when the bet's over, i wanna get him back tho.
Shoot me some new avy/sig ideas to start messing with him for revenge :lol:[/quote]Check your pm.

Man it's even worse writing that getting to the end and realizing... **** we're going to have the same team next year :rofl:

[quote name="L2B"][quote name="chaose57"]That comment tricked me. I srsly thought it was you LTB :lol:
Yeah he's doing it on purpose.
He's taking advantage of it as much as he can :smh:

Sunday when the bet's over, i wanna get him back tho.
Shoot me some new avy/sig ideas to start messing with him for revenge :lol:[/quote]Check your pm.[/quote]

Checked. Don't see anything. :nerd:

Man it's even worse writing that getting to the end and realizing... **** we're going to have the same team next year :rofl:

:lol: Yeah bruh, i've spent the past couple days tryna figure out...is there ANY miraculous way we can improve this team? Any trick Mitch can come up with? I just keep thinking and thinking...staring at our salary numbers.

and this morning i woke up and it finally hit me. ****!
There isn't. THERES NOTHING WE CAN DO. We're going to be the same damn team again next year, old and slow :rofl: :smh: :x

All jokes aside tho, appreciate your effort E.
I'll give it a nice read and comment on it when I have more time.
I might have to ask for some vacation time from work to have enough time to respond to all that, though. :lol: :tongue:

Last edited:
Haha at LTB's gifs. That was great.

Dwightmare Part III started yesterday afternoon btw. This guy should not be near a microphone.

View media item 390679
The shooting guard position for the Lakers is surrounded with question marks this off-season. Can Kobe Bryant recover from his ruptured Achilles tendon? If so, when will he return? Is Jodie Meeks a suitable backup? Can he be a reliable starter if Kobe is sidelined to start the season? All these questions will have to be answered by Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss this summer. For the sake of this post, I'll just assume Kobe will miss the start of the season and the Lakers may need to look at shooting guards in free agency. For the record, I think Kobe should aim to return by December instead of Opening Night in late October. He probably won't be the Kobe we're accustomed to, but I think he can be plenty effective with a few adjustments on his part and the Lakers. As for Meeks, I think he's an adequate backup. His shooting was more inconsistent than I would have liked, his adventures to the rim were comical and defensively he was atrocious, but I liked the hustle and effort he showed.

View media item 390604
Marco Belinelli, 6'5 195 lbs.

A reliable three point shooter for his career, who played this past season for the Bulls. He's very good from the above the break three, but just good from the corners. Other than his three point shooting, he doesn't offer much. He can handle the ball a bit, thanks to his above average handles and low turnover rate. He won't threaten defenses with his driving ability, because he doesn't have much of one. He won't draw fouls either. He's got a thin frame, which leads to him getting bodied by other shooting guards. Historically, his teams have always been better defensively when he's off the floor, but better offensively when he's on the floor for them. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after making $1.9 million this past season. I think it take something along those lines to sign him if the Lakers want him.

View media item 390608
Raja Bell, 6'5 205 lbs.

Honestly, I think Bell is done playing significant minutes. He didn't play this past season because the Jazz hated him enough to send him home while paying his full salary before he was waived in March. The previous two seasons, he wasn't very good either. His PER was hovering below 10 both seasons. He's now 36, at the end of his career. On offense, I think he can still be a decent situational three point shooter on offense. He also has experience being in D'Antoni's offense, so he has that to offer to the team if he were signed. Now that's older, he's lost a step. Conversely, his defense has declined noticeably. The Lakers want to get younger on the wing, but to maybe be the backup's backup he might not be a bad option. After sitting out the season, no way he gets anything beyond the veteran's minimum.

View media item 390607
Ronnie Brewer, 6'7 225 lbs.

Kobe and Mitch mentioned wanting to get "more length, speed and athleticism on their roster." Brewer definitely answers all those aspects. He has long arms, runs the floor well and can finish around the rim. He's a poor shooter from the perimeter, which hurts him given Dwight Howard needs the space to operate in the post. Same with Steve Nash in the pick and roll. However, Brewer is an effective cutter off the ball. He's also a decent ball handler with a high assist rate and low to average turnover rate. Defensively is where his value shines. His long arms, quick feet and smarts allow him to give opposing players a hard time scoring the ball. He signed with the Knicks for the veteran's minimum before he got traded to the Thunder and hasn't seen consistent playing time since early January. That should bold well for the Lakers if they target Brewer.

View media item 390603
Anthony Morrow, 6'5 210 lbs.

Morrow is one of the best shooters right now and all time. He's a career 42.4% shooter from three for his career. Offensively, he's what Jodie Meeks should strive to be. Meaning he should just set himself outside the three point line, ready to let it fly and leave the long twos and drives to the rim alone. Meeks is probably better in the other areas of basketball, such as defense (which is especially sad), passing and general hustling. Morrow made $4 million this past season and should expect to take a paycut this summer in free agency.

View media item 390605
Nick Young, 6'7 210 lbs.

I don't like Young much. But if Kobe is out for a significant amount of time, the Lakers may have to sign him as a "hired gun". Young has never met a shot he hasn't liked. He has absolutely no conscience in shooting the ball which is a problem because he's not a good enough shooter. But the Lakers might not have a choice but to sign Young because he can provide offense at times. The best way to use him would be to stick him in a second unit and see what he can do for short spurts. For an athletic 6'7 shooting guard, who leaves a lot to be desired on defense and rebounding the ball. He's never been much of a passer either with his low assist rate. He made $5.6 million this season with the Sixers. I think it would take the full mini-MLE to sign him, which would probably be a waste of resources given the holes on the roster. But the Lakers might not have a choice.

Yea I have been going through things in my head and it is really impossible to fix this team next year

What ultimately kills us from doing anything is we are a tax paying team and the new collective bargaining targets us directly :smh:

I predict we will have the same team next year with no real upgrades, its just financially impossible. I think the only thing we do
is trade Gasol and thats only because Kobe got injured. But I wouldnt be surprised if he is still here because we dont wanna
take back salary.

What most likely happens: We let all our free agent walk away, trade Gasol (maybe), sign a couple of band-aid players for this year and
just wait it out until 2014. Oh yea and hope punk*** D12 resigns...and I dont want him AT ALL. He will most likely be a MONSTER next year

I think D12 led the league in rebounds and 2nd in field goal %...next year I almost guarantee he leads the league in blocks, rebounds, and field goal %
and gets DPOY....but I still dont want him! He is corny and just mentally weak and wack. BUT there is no better alternatives at C so all we can hope
for is for D12 to resign....because at least if he resigns we can try to bring another all star here

The same team next year if healthy is a 50 win team.... No chance at a Ring but Nobody we are able to pull in this year will get us that so i don't see the issue.

I would legitimately be happy to pick up brewer and Korver added with what we already have.

Can't really improve this team as long as Kobe is making 30 mil a season. I've felt that way for a while now...

lesbehonest. there aren't any realistic free agents OR trade scenarios for pau for the lakers to be competitive and maintain the 2014 cap plan.

with that said, the lakers finished the year 20-8? did they overachieve? i think so, but i am optimistic that if we resign dwight and keep pau, that we will have a full training camp with mostly everyone (minus kobe) healthy going into the season.

no olympics, tournaments, or surgeries hampering what is left of the roster. the main components of this roster is probably the best we can do and will give us the best chance of competing, IMO.

we will only be able to make minor adjustments.

things i think we should do:

-get the correct coaching staff. d antoni came into the year and inherited what was left over of mike brown's staff. if he is to be retained, let him bring in the correct coaching staff to compliment him.
-amnesty metta
-buy out duhon
-bring in ronnie brewer for cheap, he can give us defensive help and athleticism. he should be able to be had for ~1 million. (vet min)
-bring in either budinger or cj miles to shore up the SF spot. both give us shooting and decent athletes. can be had for around ~3 million? (MLE)
-resign clark for CHEAP (more SF/PF depth) (bird rights)
-sign goudelock pending a good summer camp (insurance at the PG spot and change of pace guard) (bird rights?)

we run with:
nash/blake/glock
kobe/brewer/meeks
budinger or miles/clark
pau/clark/hill
dwight/hill/sacre

keys for next season. PLAY OUR DEPTH. there is no reason with a roster like this, nash or kobe should get anything more than 32 min a game.

Brewer, Bellineli, Morrow would all be good, cheap options.

If we need to go REALLY cheap, I say take a look at Donte Greene.

lesbehonest. there aren't any realistic free agents OR trade scenarios for pau for the lakers to be competitive and maintain the 2014 cap plan.

with that said, the lakers finished the year 20-8? did they overachieve? i think so, but i am optimistic that if we resign dwight and keep pau, that we will have a full training camp with mostly everyone (minus kobe) healthy going into the season.

no olympics, tournaments, or surgeries hampering what is left of the roster. the main components of this roster is probably the best we can do and will give us the best chance of competing, IMO.

we will only be able to make minor adjustments.

things i think we should do:

-get the correct coaching staff. d antoni came into the year and inherited what was left over of mike brown's staff. if he is to be retained, let him bring in the correct coaching staff to compliment him.
-amnesty metta
-buy out duhon
-bring in ronnie brewer for cheap, he can give us defensive help and athleticism. he should be able to be had for ~1 million. (vet min)
-bring in either budinger or cj miles to shore up the SF spot. both give us shooting and decent athletes. can be had for around ~3 million? (MLE)
-resign clark for CHEAP (more SF/PF depth) (bird rights)
-sign goudelock pending a good summer camp (insurance at the PG spot and change of pace guard) (bird rights?)

we run with:
nash/blake/glock
kobe/brewer/meeks
budinger or miles/clark
pau/clark/hill
dwight/hill/sacre

keys for next season. PLAY OUR DEPTH. there is no reason with a roster like this, nash or kobe should get anything more than 32 min a game.

This is a good idea except i Rather amnesty Metta and bring him back rather than sign brewer..... and wait until the Deadline and see if you can get a playoff team to bite on Nash or Pau... Once again the west isn't going to be dominated next season by any particular team and if this team is rested i see no reason why they can't compete. But blowing up this team now isn't going to get us any further than this roster can get us right now.

Essential you on the Lakers Reddit Page?

[–]ArstanWhitebeard 3 points 15 hours ago
Re-sign Dwight. Re-sign Clark.
Pick up Dorell Wright or Ronnie Brewer.
Pick up Jodie Meek's option if you need a 2 on your roster while Kobe's out; if not, let him walk.
Either trade Pau for good, young, athletic pieces this summer as in this trade, or keep him one more year, let him walk, and use his cap space to sign the next batch of young, athletic free agents the following summer.

This has to be you!

This is a good idea except i Rather amnesty Metta and bring him back rather than sign brewer..... and wait until the Deadline and see if you can get a playoff team to bite on Nash or Pau... Once again the west isn't going to be dominated next season by any particular team and if this team is rested i see no reason why they can't compete. But blowing up this team now isn't going to get us any further than this roster can get us right now.

the problem with that i don't think we can resign metta once he is amnestied and clears waivers. if he were to opt out of his contract (he has a player option) and sign for the vet min, then sure.

i love metta and what he has given to the lakers, but i think its just one of those cases where we need to get younger and more athletic and he is one of the most expendable peices. i also don't see him opting out of his guaranteed $7.7 million to take the vet min. but he's crazy, so who knows what he'll do :lol:

Main things that concern us...

Can't Amnesty and resign for cheaper
Can't sign and trade with our cap situation

So all those pipe dream of Trading Dwight for Love and Pekovic or Hortford and Korver are out of the question

If Dwight leaves how much cap room do we have?

Main things that concern us...

Can't Amnesty and resign for cheaper
Can't sign and trade with our cap situation

So all those pipe dream of Trading Dwight for Love and Pekovic or Hortford and Korver are out of the question

If Dwight leaves how much cap room do we have?
still zero :lol:

were sitting at around $78 million right now WITHOUT dwight and only about 8 people on the roster.

salary cap last year was at ~58 million

if we resign dwight and other role players, lakers will be sitting at ~100 mill :wow:

BMF :pimp: :lol:

Guys, you can't amnesty Metta and re-sign him, it would be convincing him to decline his option, then sign him for less money.

If we amnesty him, he's gone.

If we need some athleticism on the wing for cheap I think Tyler Honeycutt will do the job
tyler-honeycutt.jpg

tumblr_m1emgzBQZa1rsuyhco1_500.gif

Essential you on the Lakers Reddit Page?

[–]ArstanWhitebeard 3 points 15 hours ago
Re-sign Dwight. Re-sign Clark.
Pick up Dorell Wright or Ronnie Brewer.
Pick up Jodie Meek's option if you need a 2 on your roster while Kobe's out; if not, let him walk.
Either trade Pau for good, young, athletic pieces this summer as in this trade, or keep him one more year, let him walk, and use his cap space to sign the next batch of young, athletic free agents the following summer.

This has to be you!

It's not. But I like how he thinks. Only place I post LA stuff is here and twitter

Few changes: both Wright and Brewer, and I wouldn't drop Meeks for any reason. He's got good value for his salary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom