[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh..

There's a reason Tyler Honeycutt is cheap.

Honeycutt? No thanks. He's garbage.

Of course we would want to be going after Andre Iguodala or Rudy Gay or whoever but the Lakers don't have that luxury

Cheap *** players with upside is the only market the Lakers can really be in

Even if they convince some decent role player like Korver or Brewer to sign for a paycut, they still have the rest of an anemic bench to round out.

According to CBSSports D'Antoni is actively looking for a defensive Assistant Coach.. 1st Choice - Nate McMillian. But since he's likely to get a job as a head coach. 2nd Choice - Alvin Gentry.

2 guys neither of which are defensive coaches to be our defensive coach.

Last edited:
[quote name="Essential1"]According to CBSSports D'Antoni is actively looking for a defensive Assistant Coach.. 1st Choice - Nate McMillian. But since he's likely to get a [different] job as a head coach. 2nd Choice - Alvin Gentry. full time movie extra

2 guys neither of which are defensive coaches to be our defensive coach.[/quote]Nice. :smokin

It's a shame Dwight can't play with the same heart Asik plays with.

It would be nice if we had someone like Asik. He doesnt demand any attention, he's not a drama *****, he doesnt care if the offense is centered around him.

He goes out there, sets hard screens, rolls to the basket and finishes strong at the hoop.
Plays great defense, great rebounding, lots of energy every night. EVERY NIGHT.

I like him a lot.

It would be nice if we had someone like Asik. He doesnt demand any attention, he's not a drama *****, he doesnt care if the offense is centered around him.

He goes out there, sets hard screens, rolls to the basket and finishes strong at the hoop.

I like him a lot.

Heart > Talent.

If only we can get somebody like Noah or Asik or Faired :rolleyes :frown:

Last edited:
Just my thoughts on the D'Antoni posts and that heart comment.

There's a reason the picture in your avy exists.
Heart has a lot to do with it.

But regardless, although we all have different thoughts on the season as a whole...we all want the best for our team.

Last edited:
I mean, that's great and all but we just witnessed Dwight returning six months earlier than he should have from back surgery and gutting through the season with a torn labrum. I think he has enough "heart". The guy just isn't the most skilled or smartest guy around. *Shrug*

You think if Asik had good hands and could memorize a post move or two he would be who he is? No, he's the way he is because he recognizes the only way he'll stick in the league is rebounding the ball, defending the rim and converting the spoonfed passes he gets.

I like him a lot.

The guy who came back 4-5 months early from back surgery.. Could have sat out the rest of the season when he tore his labrum and had surgery..

The guy who realized he had to make a change in the way he's playing, and get himself in check.

Spare me with the heart comment.

And PMatic thinking exactly how I was thinking...

Last edited:
And punking out in game 4, wanting no parts of having to deal with the Spurs physical play, and leaving his team out to dry displays some heart too?

I'm just sayin. I've given him credit on many occasions.
Im not one of those guys whose been constantly riding Dwight night in and night out for all 9 months of the season.
There were plenty of nights when i gave him props, gave him an ovation, and was proud of him.
And there are some nights when im not so proud.

I respect that he was playing hurt all year. That shoulder, that back. The beating he takes, the hacking, the constant pain he deals with. I respect it, its a lot more heart than I PERSONALLY have...of course. Hes a pro. But comparing his effort on a night in and night out basis to someone like Noah or Asik makes me look at a few things differently.

Im not saying ASIK is a better player than Dwight.
All im saying is, for ONE FIFTH of the contract that Dwight requires, ONE TENTH of the Drama that Dwight brings, and 85% of the same intensity, defense, rebounding and offensive game Dwight gives us...

What is a better value to have on your team? You know?
85% of Dwight's skills (Asik) for 20% of the cost (max contract vs. 21 mil contract) seems a lot more efficient and valuable for a team, IMO.

I know we 'have' to resign Dwight. I know it makes sense, it would be dumb to let him leave for nothing. We need him as an asset at the very least. We have to start building somewhere and Dwight is it.

Im just stating that hypothetically it would be nice to have someone who can give us the same defense/rebounding with more consistent intensity and effort for 1/5th of the price. Is that too farfetched of me to say?

Valid point that Asik gives 100% and costs less and what not, but his ceiling is nowhere near what Dwight's is and that's the rub.

Tony Allen gives more effort on the floor than Kobe and costs less, would you switch them? In fact, would you switch Dwight and Kobe for Asik and TA so we "hustle more" at a cheaper price?

At some point, you have to pay for talent.

As for Dwight punking out, stop. Come on. It changes the way you feel about a guy if he stayed on the floor and lost by 20 still? Why? Half our roster was in street clothes, it was already 3-0, and down 20 at half. If it was a 1 point game, and we could fight and make it a series, I'd listen to it, but at that point, he was merely standing up for himself. Which he has every right to do.

Look at how Manu fouled him in the first half. Wide open, about to dunk, and Manu pulls him down by the arms. Read that as, a threat to his shoulder again. They did it ALL series long.

The bottom line to Dwight becomes this, if he re-signs, and has no back surgery this offseason, he's going to get 5-6 MONTHS of rest. He will be D12 on opening night next season. Not the shell of himself he was last year. At that point, we have the best C in the league, and a top 3-4 player overall in the NBA. Even without post moves, or "heart" etc. And with all those weaknesses, it wouldn't be Dwight needing to foul Asik to slow him down, it would be Asik needing to foul Dwight over and over to help his squad. There's a reason for that.

I really don't know what to think about Dwight at this point. I respect the fact that he played through some tough injuries but this is the same dude that flip flopped all last season and now he looks like he's not built for this spotlight.

It wouldn't shock me if he went to somewhere like HOU. For his personality that might be a good fit. He wouldn't have deal with that pressure that comes with being a Laker. Then again he might stay cuz he's scared of the criticism he'll get if he left. Who knows with this dude. :lol:

You know who can use Blake & Duhon.. The Wizards. Get the DMV fav Blake. Cut a couple mil by cutting Duhon. And give us Ariza back :lol:

Now THIS is a trade that makes sense (kinda). Wizards have no back up PG, and they don't really need Ariza. Pretty sure they can find a better trade for Ariza than Duhon and Blake though :lol:

Cp I didn't change my opinion about Dwight because of what he did, but it DIdnt change the fact that he purposely got himself tossed. You can be proud of it if you want but I thought it was lame. I didn't bring it up until now, so obviously it wasn't that big of a deal. But it was lame. I know what kinda Beating he was taking, but there's a reason why Duncan was sitting on the scorers table literally laughing at him for letting it all get to him so much. It's not right that they got Away with so much contact, but how is it respectable to quit? It doesn't change what I think of him as a player but I didn't like it. I've thought the same thing when Kobe's gotten himself ejected for useless crying at refs, it's lame to do it knowing your getting tossed. I'm not being biased I hated whenever Kobe *****ed his way out of games as well. But it doesn't chnge my thoughts about either of their basketball skills.

The Tony Allen and Kobe comparison tho? :rofl: c'mon CP. you're one of the smartest dudes on the board, did you really just do that? Is Tony Allen a former MVP, 2x finals MVP, 5 time world champion, 2x Olympic gold medalist?

What kinda comparison!?
Of course you don't trade Kobe for Allen.
And I'm nt saying trade Dwight for Asik. Obviously they aren't the same talent. I know that. Dwight is a monster when he wants to be. I know his ceiling is higher. All I was saying was hypothetically it would be nice to have a Noah or Asik to play on this team, who Cost less and produce similar but not quite as good defensive numbers.

ASIK IS NOT AS TALENTED AS DWIGHT.
I am not saying he is. So please, understand that all I'm saying is if Mr. I Need Another 5 Months To Think decides to bounce, if we can get a guy with Asiks skill with his price we won't be at such a "loss" as we might think, taking everything into consideration.

But obviously if I was trading Dwight, hell yeah I'd want a lot more than Asik. I know what his trade value is, and it's not Omar 1 for 1.

Can't believe you really asked me if I'd wanna give up Kobe for Allen tho... As if that's what I was going for. As If the point of everything I said was "Get rid of high cost players for cheap players who give effort!!" C'mon bruh :rofl:

If I could have these conversations with you guys in person it would be easier to convey what exactly I mean. But giving up our best players for Tony Allen and Asik was definitely not what I meant :lol:

Last edited:
View media item 392333
The starting small forward spot is primed for a change in the Laker lineup. While MWP had a bounce back season from his inconsistent 2012-13 season, he might be served moving to the bench in a power forward role. He's lost a step and his perimeter skills are lacking some (cue mindless overdribbling and forced jump shot). He's also a prime candidate to be amnestied this summer. He's overpaid at this point in his career, but I'm not sure that's wise. He can still play tough defense and a decent three point shooter. Not to mention this team needs as many serviceable role players as possible given how shallow it is. Earl Clark surprised many in January/February before crashing back to reality to end the season. I think he has a role on this team next season if he is re-signed. He mentioned he was more comfortable playing small forward than power forward, but would try his best to get stronger to play the four this summer. I probably wouldn't give Clark more than $4 million for next season and next season alone. With that said, the Lakers are armed with the mini-MLE worth about $3.1 million this summer and the veteran's minimum. Here's a list of guys that might or might not be available.

View media item 392324
Austin Daye, 6'10 200 lbs.

Daye is a 24 year old big three slash stretch four player. He's been a bit inconsistent shooting the three in his four years in the NBA, but I tend to think he's a good perimeter shooter. However, he doesn't offer much else. For a guy as tall as he is, he's not much of a rebounder or shot blocker. He doesn't stand out much on defense as a good or bad defender. the Grizzlies could give him a qualifying offer making him a restricted free agent this summer, but if they don't given (iffy because of their cap issues), he might end up being an unrestricted free agent.

View media item 392325
Carlos Delfino, 6'6 230 lbs.

Delfino is a tough, hard nosed swingman that's playing for the Rockets in the playoffs right now. I always liked him as a "three and d" type of guy. During the regular season, he chucked a healthy 9 threes per 36 minutes while shooting an above average rate of 37.5%. :lol: Defensively, he's declined from where he was three or four years ago, but that's understandable given he's 30 now. Still, Kevin McHale trusted Delfino enough that he would routinely had him guard opposing power forwards in their small ball lineups. He has another year left on his contract for $3 million that is non-guaranteed. If Daryl Morey chooses to pursue Dwight or another big name this summer in free agency, expect him to waive Delfino to carve out cap space.

View media item 392327
Francisco Garcia, 6'7 195 lbs.

After nearly fading to Bolivia these last few seasons with the Kings, Garcia is currently guarding Kevin Durant without backing down and knocking down threes. He doesn't do much else at this point in his career, but he's a useful rotation player. He has a team option for $6 million that will surely be turned down this summer so the Rockets can create cap space. I wouldn't give him more than what Jodie Meeks got last summer ($1.5 million).

View media item 392369
Martell Webster, 6'7 230 lbs.

Webster was on the verge of retirement because of back issues (hmmm), before having a renaissance with the Wizards. He turned into a reliable three point shooter, particularly from the corners. He was especially good after John Wall returned from injury. He's got a strong body to go with good, but not great athleticism. On defense, Webster is just decent. I'm a bit weary this past season was a fluke, but if it wasn't then he can be a solid piece on a good team. I think the Wizards liked him enough that they will bring him back, but who knows. They can give him a starting salary of $2.1 million, so the Lakers would have to top that.

View media item 392326
Dorell Wright, 6'9 215 lbs.

Essential is just giggling reading this. Doug Collins in his infinite wisdom didn't play Dwight as much as he should have, but Wright still enjoyed a good season for the Sixers. He fits the bill of what you want in a small forward in 2013. He's long, athletic and can shoot. He shot just 39 percent from the field this season, but over 60 percent of his field goal attempts were threes, where he was a respectable 37.4% shooter. His 54.4 TS%,was above league average compared to the rest of the league. Compared to the average small forward this season, he also had a higher assist rate and lower turnover rate which is enticing. Wright is a decent rebounder and defender as well. Wright will get more lucrative offers from other teams, but the (puncher's) chance to compete for a championship and returning to Los Angeles might entice him to sign with the Lakers.

I'm currently bulking I started at 170 lbs I'm at 186 I'm working towards 205lbs before I cut the fat.

Point is, I'm gettin ready for our basketball summit.
Im more of a shooting guard but I'm tryna get my post game to be strong like Melo.

Y'all ain't ready :lol: :tongue:

We gotta do it this summer

Asiks actual tangible skill level >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dwights "ceiling"

obviously I was being facetious about signing drew to the max, but thats how I feel after this season with dwight.

Sure he came off surgery, had some kind of labrum issue and played through it but you CANT assume he is going to be back to his old self next year, you can be setting yourself up as well as him to fail big time.

This could be it, this could be the new dwight going forward, you have to be prepared for that....and as far as risk management goes, you have to automatically assume he will come back (if he does) exactly the same...with that being said...would you pay MAX money for the dwight we had THIS season?

Dwight is great, but for MAX money we need someone who can get a bucket anytime....cant have a franchise player disappear in the clutch, just cant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom