[::OFFSEASON OVER. Lock Please.::]

Which New Laker Acquisition Will Shine The Most This Upcoming Season?

• Jordan Farmar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nick Young

• Chris Kaman

• Elias Harris

• Wesley Johnson

• Ryan Kelly

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If any Lakers fan that don't want Lebron here because of Kobe's legacy needs to re-check their fan card and change it to a strictly Kobe-Stan.

No doubt, I'm a huge Kobe fan, but I'd rather have the name in front of the jersey do good than the name on the back of the jersey.

Remember when Shaq left? I remember most people being pissed because they wanted Kobe out instead of Shaq. 32 year old Shaq over 25 year old Kobe.
Kobe stans are not the only irrational fans. Even "pure laker fans" can be biased at times.

See if you can find the Kobe rumor thread when he was about to be traded to Chicago :x

pau in '10 >>>> wade/bosh this year

lebron will do more with whatever supporting cast he is given than any other single player in the league today
basically this

if we do get bron its because we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 52 million in cap room

players will gravitate towards bron

Last edited:
pau in '10 >>>> wade/bosh this year

lebron will do more with whatever supporting cast he is given than any other single player in the league today

Wade and Bosh play defense as well. You saw how Bosh defended Parker?

Your last argument is only true if Lebron has elite shooters around him. Surround him with players that brick shots like Artest or even Average shooters and the team will be out in the 2nd round every year.
if you were building a team from scratch to win a title next season, what player would you pick over lebron to be the face of your team?

View media item 464021
Shawne Williams is scheduled to work out for the Lakers soon. He had success under D'Antoni in New York as a stretch four, particularly from the corners.

Last edited:
This was what Hollinger said in 2008 about him:
Scouting report: A tweener with an instinct for getting up shots on the court and getting in trouble off of it, Williams' willingness to take 3s hasn't been matched by accuracy; though he has a smooth stroke, he's at 30.6 percent for his career. Since he's a string bean who rarely ventures inside unless he's finishing on the break, he's limited in his ability to impact a game. He can make long 2s with a hand in his face but has a very poor free-throw rate and isn't a good ball handler.

Defensively, it's more of the same. Williams is an intriguing talent, but at 6-foot-9, 225 pounds, it's not clear whom he can guard. Small forwards challenge his lateral quickness, and he doesn't play with the intensity to make up for it, while power forwards shoved him aside underneath.

With Knicks in 10-11. PFs had a 20.8 PER against him. He didn't play much SF, but they put up a 22.8 PER.

PASS

Last edited:
stop entertaining the thought of lebron coming to the lakeshow. its not gona happen. EVER. it would be PR (public relations) suicide if he did. everyone outside of LA and lebron d-riders are going to come out with their pitchforks and go on a manhunt for his traitor butt. as great as lebron is, i think i'd be more satisfied in beating him than winning with him.

He sounds like a bum and will be cheap. That is what the lakers look for when using the vet min and mle.

Matt Barnes - great value signing
Jodie Meeks - great value signing
Antawn Jamison - great value signing

Jason Kapono - just didn't have any more in the tank. Needed a 3 point shooter, 30 years old career 43% 3 point shooter for Veteran's minimum was the right idea. He just didn't have it anymore.

Troy Murphy shot 45% / 41% for the Lakers. But lack of athletic ability and defense white-washed him (no pun).

Josh McRoberts was a 23 year old putting up 7 & 5 in 22 minutes before he came to LA..

I don't think you really understand how little value the veteran's minimum and mini-Mid Level Exception is. If you expect to acquire great players who will have immense impact on your roster... The Veteran's minimum and mini-MLE have the least chance of doing that.

You know who signs veteran's min. Old players who want a shot at a title, and young players who have trouble staying on a team.

Mini-MLE doesn't go to 6th man of the year, or defensive stallworths, and very few great 3 point shooters are getting that little.

Last edited:
Does Lebron play for the Lakers?

No? Not yet?

Didn't think so.

Xtapolapacetl: *warned* Keep your pro-Bron agenda in the NBA Season/Heat/Finals threads. talking about how awesome Tim Duncan's career has been in the Clippers thread makes just as much sense as what you're doing. Wen it comes to singing LeBrons praises, I definitely agree with most of what you say, but this isn't the thread to be discussing him...

... yet.

Matt Barnes - great value signing
Jodie Meeks - great value signing
Antawn Jamison - great value signing

Jason Kapono - just didn't have any more in the tank. Needed a 3 point shooter, 30 years old career 43% 3 point shooter for Veteran's minimum was the right idea. He just didn't have it anymore.

Troy Murphy shot 45% / 41% for the Lakers. But lack of athletic ability and defense white-washed him (no pun).

Josh McRoberts was a 23 year old putting up 7 & 5 in 22 minutes before he came to LA..

I don't think you really understand how little value the veteran's minimum and mini-Mid Level Exception is. If you expect to acquire great players who will have immense impact on your roster... The Veteran's minimum and mini-MLE have the least chance of doing that.

You know who signs veteran's min. Old players who want a shot at a title, and young players who have trouble staying on a team.

Mini-MLE doesn't go to 6th man of the year, or defensive stallworths, and very few great 3 point shooters are getting that little.

But the front office felt that the roster after the 2010 finals was still championship worthy. Mike Miller decided to sign with the Heat instead. The Lakers gave the same type of money to Blake. If Miller knew that the Lakers were not really contenders anymore then why couldnt the front office? The upgrading process should have started that off-season.

Instead they did moves like giving away Sasha and a 1st round pick for Joe Smith. Is that upgrading? They were content with that they had. I have my doubts that they ever went hard a Miller either way. They probably thought Artest and Ebanks would be good enough at SF. You mention Jajuan Johnson as if that would have been the exact same player the Lakers would have picked.

Jimmy Butler, Norris Cole, and Parsons were all picked after the New Jersey pick that the Lakers gave away.

Another ridiculous post :lol:

Mike Miller signed for the Full Mid-Level Exception.. We couldn't offer that much because we had to fill out an entire bench and needed to split up the Mid-Level Exception. He went to join LeBron James, Dwyane Wade & Chris Bosh.. I don't think Mike Miller was thinking the Lakers won't win a title or have no shot, or are no longer contenders. But when Bron, Wade & Bosh join up all less than 30, you'll go to that team for more money.

Sasha wasn't a trade to upgrade. It was trade that Sasha wanted. Sasha wanted out of LA. Also Sasha from the Lakers perspective was to save money by re-signing Shannon Brown. Farmar left for more money, so Blake was the best available.

You do know most players are drafted where they deserve to go at the time. Some players go a little higher or a little lower based on team needs, but for the most part on draft night, almost all 2nd rounders deserve to be second rounders. Parsons was expected to be only a decent player off the bench in the NBA. Norris Cole isn't good, and Jimmy Butler was extremely weak coming out of the draft...

Last edited:
Another ridiculous post :lol:

Mike Miller signed for the Full Mid-Level Exception.. We couldn't offer that much. He went to join LeBron James, Dwyane Wade & Chris Bosh.. I don't think Mike Miller was thinking the Lakers won't win a title or have no shot, or are no longer contenders. But when Bron, Wade & Bosh join up all less than 30, you'll go to that team for more money.

Sasha wasn't a trade to upgrade. It was trade that Sasha wanted. Sasha wanted out of LA. Also Sasha from the Lakers perspective was to save money by re-signing Shannon Brown. Farmar left for more money, so Blake was the best available.

You do know most players are drafted where they deserve to go. Parsons was expected to be only a decent player off the bench in the NBA. Norris Cole isn't good, and Jimmy Butler was extremely weak coming out of the draft.

The lakers did not have the full mid level in 2010? He went to the team that he thought had the best opportunity at winning the ring. That should have said something to the front office.

Just because Sasha wants out you are going to gift a 1st round pick to NJ?

Players are drafted where they deserve to go? Right.
Stop trying to justify gifting away a draft pick. Now THAT is ridiculous.

They had the full Mid--Level.... As I added Lakers had 6 spots to fill with only the mid-Level Exception..

Lebron, Wade & Bosh had just joined together. 3 Stars all under 30. He went to the team that got 3 stars, and offered him more money. Pretty easy damn decision.

Lakers were content? What possible move would have made us into a "contender" since you seem to think the FO didn't want to win a 3rd title.

They were still second most favored by Vegas before the season started..

And what move should the team have made that outstaged the Heat..

Last edited:
They had the full Mid--Level.... As I added Lakers had 6 spots to fill with only the mid-Level Exception..

So that means did not go as hard as they could for Miller.

How many spots did they fill with the mid level and who were the players?

Just imagine all those 3 pointers that Artest has bricked going to Miller all these years. Lakers had zero outside threats. We have seen how important spacing is in this year's playoffs. They finally got a deadly shooter in Nash last year but he was 39, was injured most of the time, and it might have been too late.

Last edited:
If we had Mike Miller on the 2010-11 Lakers team, do we win the title?

Just assume we don't sign Blake & Barnes, and get Miller instead.

The answer is no. We don't get any closer to a title, and are not in any better shape.

Not 10-11, not 11-12, not 12-13.

We needed a backup PG, a backup SF, a new backup big, a backup SG (because Shannon Brown wasn't a guarantee to come back he took less money to stay 1 more year), etc. etc.

You seem to operate from the premise that the Front Office doesn't try to win a title, doesn't care about titles, and even go so far to assume our training staff (one of the best in the league) doesn't really care either.

Last edited:
I believe there was a rumor that the Lakers had offered Miller a deal, but obviously point guard was a more pressing issue. Yeah yeah, Blake hasn't worked out like we expected.

But Miller is tight with LeBron so once the Heat turned their attention towards him, it was a wrap.

A vet or min salary player or even a late first round draft pick would probably have the same impact as Blake and Barnes had with the Lakers. Miller would have had a better impact on the team than Blake and Barnes combined.

I just think that if you can you go after the better player you do it. In this case Blake over Miller. It does not guarantee anything but nothing has improved since 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom